Ryan To Takeover Defense Play Calling

JetNation

After losing defensive coordinator Mike Pettine to the Bills, Rex Ryan will take over defensive play calling over first-time defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman.

“Dennis and I worked side-by-side with each other literally for years now,” Ryan told the 
New York Daily News
. “It’s something that we talked about and we want to do. I want Dennis to just be totally involved like he always is, but I’ll make the calls [and have] the final say on the calls. But again, the process will be very similar.”

Most of this just stems from the fact that Thurman doesn’t have any play calling experience but will have input on the play calling.

I think this is a great idea.  Rex gets an opportunity to showcase his value to the team by doing something he is really good at.  By associating with the defense, it doesn't matter how the "team" does at the end of the year, a top-three defense keeps him around as HC. 

I think this is a great idea.  Rex gets an opportunity to showcase his value to the team by doing something he is really good at.  By associating with the defense, it doesn't matter how the "team" does at the end of the year, a top-three defense keeps him around as HC. 

i got a feeling he is gonna have wilkerson and specifically coples killin it this year. especially if they get a stud pass rusher in the draft

Was 2009 the last season Rex called defensive plays?   The fact that the D steadily declined in overall ranking every year since then is hardly coincidental -- having Pettine leave may turn out to be addition by subtraction.

rex called plays every year.  One article said he called third down plays last year.  Does anybody believe that Rex could keep his nose out of the defense ever?  Who coaches the rest of the time while Rex bogs himself down with the defense?  More high jinks with you-know-who.

Was 2009 the last season Rex called defensive plays?   The fact that the D steadily declined in overall ranking every year since then is hardly coincidental -- having Pettine leave may turn out to be addition by subtraction.

Thats why Pettine left!!!!!!!!!!

The last 2 years (after Pettine got play calling duties) Rex took the duties back mid-season both times. In each case the Def got better. 

Pettine was probably told by Rex, "I took it back 2 years in a row now, in 2013 I am calling plays"

I heard Pettine was pissed he lost play calling duties last 2 years, but f**k him, the D got better when Rex took over in each case.

Exactly Your new new DC for the 2014 non-Jet NFL team to be named in the future  is Wrecks Ryan.

this is what is called an audition. Good luck Mr Ryan on landing your next gig

Basically signing his own consignment to be a DC forever. In the big picture of his career he gets to be his daddy all over again. He has nobody to blame but himself because of his indifferent attitude toward his own offense. Wrecks extolling the virtues of his #6 ranked defense against the pass was an embarrassment and he acted like it was an achievement. No one bothers to pass on you because your offense sucks balls. And nobody wants to pay to watch the 2014 Jets either.

There was a time I really liked this guy and thought he had potential. But it's clear now that Johnson hired another defense first imbecile. Keep trying to win games 13-10 with YOUR DEFENSE, moron, when the rules demand you pass. Wrecks Ryan, your milkman in a Costco world.

New Beginnings with Rex Ryan.

Look out league.  Rex is calling the D again?

This is going to be a special season and is going to set the tone for years to come dominating the NFL with one of the best HC's in the biz.

This is great news.  I'm so excited for 13. 

New Beginnings with Rex Ryan.

Look out league. Rex is calling the D again?

This is going to be a special season and is going to set the tone for years to come dominating the NFL with one of the best HC's in the biz.

This is great news. I'm so excited for 13.

Nobody believes you.

Dennis Thurman: "Dickwad, you could have told me this before my 'promotion' contract was signed.  Now if the defense does well I'm a DC who can't make a lateral move to another team, who will take some blame if the defense is mediocre, and who won't get credit for anything good that was done here.  All it says is my HC, who knows me best, didn't trust me with the job for 1 day.  F*ck me."

Also, why announce this in March? Other than Ryan's self-promotion for a future job I see no purpose.

Rex Ryan does not need an audition to be a defensive coordinator. His brother was "out of work for 5 minutes" and Rex is waaaaaaay better.  There probably isn't a team in the league that wouldn't be happy to have Rex as DC, unless you admit that he could undermine the HC's authority.

Nobody believes you.

That makes me feel better about it. 

Thats why Pettine left!!!!!!!!!!

The last 2 years (after Pettine got play calling duties) Rex took the duties back mid-season both times. In each case the Def got better. 

Pettine was probably told by Rex, "I took it back 2 years in a row now, in 2012 I am calling plays"

I heard Pettine was pissed he lost play calling duties last 2 years, but f**k him, the D got better when Rex took over in each case.

Yep

That's the way I remember it

Dennis Thurman: "Dickwad, you could have told me this before my 'promotion' contract was signed.  Now if the defense does well I'm a DC who can't make a lateral move to another team, who will take some blame if the defense is mediocre, and who won't get credit for anything good that was done here.  All it says is my HC, who knows me best, didn't trust me with the job for 1 day.  F*ck me."

Also, why announce this in March? Other than Ryan's self-promotion for a future job I see no purpose.

I think it is a matter of taking full responsiblity for the defense.  It's actually an interesting move if the offense is going to take more risks it will put more pressure on the D.  I think Thurman was already Assistant HC.  It may be that he is doing this to take some pressure off Thurman as a first time coordinator. 

I think it is a matter of taking full responsiblity for the defense.  It's actually an interesting move if the offense is going to take more risks it will put more pressure on the D.  I think Thurman was already Assistant HC.  It may be that he is doing this to take some pressure off Thurman as a first time coordinator. 

I think you like Ryan to the point you want to see things that aren't there.  Hey, people who can't stand him also see things that aren't there.

It's a dick move to announce it now.  He could have made this announcement at the time they promoted Thurman (making it obvious that Thurman was on board with this as a condition to signing on).  If Thurman comes out and says he knew this was going to be this way when he signed his contract, then it's not nearly that bad.

If the defense isn't all that, and Ryan doesn't come back as HC again, Thurman will share in the blame.  

If the defense is very good, the credit will go to Ryan.  Thurman may or may not share in the credit.

maybe Revis made it a condition to re-signing with Jets? ;)

I think you like Ryan to the point you want to see things that aren't there.  Hey, people who can't stand him also see things that aren't there.

It's a dick move to announce it now.  He could have made this announcement at the time they promoted Thurman (making it obvious that Thurman was on board with this as a condition to signing on).  If Thurman comes out and says he knew this was going to be this way when he signed his contract, then it's not nearly that bad.

If the defense isn't all that, and Ryan doesn't come back as HC again, Thurman will share in the blame.  

If the defense is very good, the credit will go to Ryan.  Thurman may or may not share in the credit.

He was asked about it.  So was Thurman when it was announced he was the new DC, to which he said "I dont care who calls the plays, doesnt matter to me".

boyitellya - Wrecks Ryan is the devil.

Actually I don't think it was a dick move or that I am seeing things.  I don't think it was anything other than "Rex being Rex".  I think what it was is the truth.  It probably would be better not to tell everybody, but I don't see it as any great undermining tactic. 

How is this offense actually going to take MORE risks? Name Sanchez QB and have him work with one arm tied behind his back?

Archived