Tavon Austin got a 7 on his Wonderlic

Sperm Edwards

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/18/4238742/2013-nfl-draft-tavon-austin-cordarrelle-patterson-wonderlic-scores

And Patterson got an 11.

I know it doesn't mean he won't be a super playmaker (they said AJ Green, who is simply unreal, got a 10).  But how is it possible for these guys to be this stupid?  If it's all multiple choice, and some of the questions only have 3 or 4 answers, they could put "B" for every answer and get at least an 11-13 score. And that's if they literally blind guessed at everything and couldn't come up with their own (correct) answer for a single question.  Even with all the pre-draft prep they get from their agents and questions like

Find 0.12 ÷ 1     

A. 12 

B. 1.2 

C. .12 

D. .012 

E. .0012

and 

Which number is largest?     

A. 32.000 

B. 23000 

C. 32.00 

D. 3.200 

E. 230.00

and

BOTTLES                 SCISSORS     

A. Similar 

B. Contradictory 

C. Not related

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/18/4238742/2013-nfl-draft-tavon-austin-cordarrelle-patterson-wonderlic-scores

And Patterson got an 11.

I know it doesn't mean he won't be a super playmaker (they said AJ Green, who is simply unreal, got a 10).  But how is it possible for these guys to be this stupid?  If it's all multiple choice, and some of the questions only have 3 or 4 answers, they could put "B" for every answer and get at least an 11-13 score. And that's if they literally blind guessed at everything and couldn't come up with their own (correct) answer for a single question.  Even with all the pre-draft prep they get from their agents and questions like

Find 0.12 ÷ 1     

A. 12 

B. 1.2 

C. .12 

D. .012 

E. .0012

and 

Which number is largest?     

A. 32.000 

B. 23000 

C. 32.00 

D. 3.200 

E. 230.00

and

BOTTLES                 SCISSORS     

A. Similar 

B. Contradictory 

C. Not related

The last one had me laughing.  

Most of these guys simply didn't have to go to class or care about academics since they were in middle school.  I don't think that's the best way to sharpen mathematical and literacy skills.

There's a story from Syracuse about Carmelo Anthony. One day he decided to grace a class with his comments. He picked his head up off the desk, took off his headphones, put down the hood on his hoddie, and raised his hand patiently. The whole room went quiet because it's Carmelo Anthony, he doesn't need to do anything in college but avoid getting hurt. The professor, Peter Weller of RoboCop fame (IIRC), calls on Carmelo with a bit of surprise in his voice. Anthony puts his hand down and says "war is bad, it makes me sad." He then put his headphones back on, his hood back up, and his head back down.

I no longer worry about how well people do on tests.

30 or 40 years ago we had a whole bunch of studies which showed that 33% or so of Americans in 12th grade could not find America on a world map unless the names of the countries were printed on the map.  Outrage and alarm followed.

Now, decades later, we see the same types of articles.  Except that the tests were conducted and the articles about the tests written by the same generation which was so lamentable itself back then.

Apparently, each generation has enough people learning enough stuff to not only keep things going, but actually advancing.  I see no reason not to be satisfied with that.

I no longer worry about how well people do on tests.

30 or 40 years ago we had a whole bunch of studies which showed that 33% or so of Americans in 12th grade could not find America on a world map unless the names of the countries were printed on the map.  Outrage and alarm followed.

Now, decades later, we see the same types of articles.  Except that the tests were conducted and the articles about the tests written by the same generation which was so lamentable itself back then.

Apparently, each generation has enough people learning enough stuff to not only keep things going, but actually advancing.  I see no reason not to be satisfied with that.

This isn't a thread about society.  This is a thread about Tavon Austin being so stupid he might forget which foot his left shoe goes on.

This isn't a thread about society.  This is a thread about Tavon Austin being so stupid he might forget which foot his left shoe goes on.

I get your point, some of these kids aren't much smarter than a rock, but it's not as if they've recently fallen out of a tree and suddenly became stupid...they've been stupid for their entire life and it hasn't effected their playing thus far.  He may have a bit harder time digesting a playbook, but unless the league replaces CBs with books or math, I think Austin is gonna have a pretty damned good career.

Where he will have to learn and recall complicated offensive schemes and patterns and routes. I mean much less complicate if he's a Jet, but pretty complicated elsewhere.

forget that, it's blitz pick up.  he is used all over the formation, even the backfield and since he can't get the ball every time, he'll have to be a decoy sometimes and pick up a blitz

his size and brains make that a legit concern

if you don't trust him to do that, it takes away value, and he's not a top 25 pick anymore

I know I've spent the great majority of the spring bashing tavon austin for not being tall. 

but today, 4 days before the draft, im getting a very Tavon Austin to 9 feeling. SItes have Geno at 9, tavon at 13 I think that's too cutsie to actually happen. but with Pace resigning at OLB, Landry at S the defense seems to be slightly restocked.

a double dip on offense seems likely. The offense is terrible let's be real. 

"double dip" possibilities: 

9 Tavon, 13 Eifert

9 Tavon, 13 Chance

9 Tavon, 13 Cooper 

if the Jets did any of those, both of those guys would instantly start. Which we can't say about picking a QB or OLB pass rusher. 

Archived