$16M per year, every year. For a single CB.

Sperm Edwards

lol

No matter what criticism the Jets are getting, and how awesome everyone agrees Revis is, all-pro this and HOF that, there are 31 NFL teams that are privately saying, "$16M/year, every year, for one CB? And he's coming off an ACL tear? That's the dumbest f*cking thing ever."

No wonder we could barely get a mid-1st rounder and a 4th or 3rd next year.  

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what does that contract mean in real terms? He's back on the market in a season? 

If it does that makes it even dumber.

In real terms they probably keep him for 2-3 years unless he is noticeably worse than he used to be.  For all the "80% of Revis is better than 100% of _____" comments, no team wants a CB for 80% of what he was for that kind of coin, when he isn't worth that money at 100%.

He's the best I've ever seen - or he was, anyway - but that's just an idiotic amount of a team's cap to allot to one CB.  

OTC (Jason)

This will be the first defensive contract since the Asomugha contract to “break the system” in terms of positional valuation. At $16 million a year this represents a value that is around 64% higher than that of the 5th highest paid corner. It is unlikely that any player, especially one on defense, can have that kind of impact on a game to justify the high price tag. Of the other teams who “broke the system” and overslotted cap for specific players only the Vikings and Adrian Peterson made the playoffs last season. The other teams to overslot were the Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald), Titans (Chris Johnson), and Lions (Calvin Johnson). So Revis will get an opportunity to prove a league wrong about the valuations placed on certain positions.

Revis, AP, Fitz, Calvin and Chris are just truly that special to break the system. You can probably say Chris has to prove it again but they are all special talents that will ruin there teams cap but if you don't like it don't pay the luxury of their talents.

In real terms they probably keep him for 2-3 years unless he is noticeably worse than he used to be. For all the "80% of Revis is better than 100% of _____" comments, no team wants a CB for 80% of what he was for that kind of coin, when he isn't worth that money at 100%.

He's the best I've ever seen - or he was, anyway - but that's just an idiotic amount of a team's cap to allot to one CB.

At 100% he's not worth that, outside of an LT in his prime no defensive player is worth that percent of the cap.

what does that contract mean in real terms? He's back on the market in a season? 

That speaks more to the stupidity of Revis and his agents than anything else. If he was going to force thisi trade you would think he would want at least 3 or 4 years locked up.The Jets probably would've been willing to give more guaranteed money that this.  May be he's more damaged than anyone knows. Or he's a silly goose who is impressed by the meaningless $96 million number.

That speaks more to the stupidity of Revis and his agents than anything else. If he was going to force thisi trade you would think he would want at least 3 or 4 years locked up.The Jets probably would've been willing to give more guaranteed money that this.  May be he's more damaged than anyone knows. Or he's a silly goose who is impressed by the meaningless $96 million number.

Foolishly or not, I think Revis just simply believes that strongly in himself. That he'll play to the $16M level for a long time and Tampa will pay him. Or they'll cut him and someone else will pay him at that level. 

While there are technically no guarantees in the deal, it's hard to imagine Revis not collecting a minimum of $32M over the next two years, and $48M over three is likely. If Tampa cuts him then, he'll be a free agent at 30. Not a bad situation for Mr. Revis. 

Revis makes out like a bandit, he essentially just got an extra 10 mil for this year, practically guaranteed.

If he is healthy, they will tear up this contract and give him guaranteed money, if not, he got an extra 10 mil that he would not have gotten from the Jets.

This is not a terrible idea for the Bucs, if healthy, they got great value for the 13 pick in a perceived weak draft, and at a risk of 16 mil, it's not a bad move for them.

Jets make out well because they were not going to resign him, and could not get zero for him.

I actually think this works out for everyone, considering.

I of course wish we could have signed him for something in the 10 mil per range, but since that was not happening, it is the best we could have done, no leverage, and no other bidders.

Thank God we're all here to.protect the sanctity of Woody's money. This money's for QBs only boy.

I loathe that people buy this garbage hook, line, and sinker. Paying Revise stopped the Jets from paying no one. Its unbelievably hateable that anyone can support this sh*t. This franchise has absolutely just warped its fan base...

Oh and yes, Woody's urge to.save his money is the majority of why this trade happened.the league helped him out with some.press and a nice tucking.of.the FA CBs, but this.is about Woody saving his money and selling.us another rebuild. Like loyal, trained puppies the majority are in yet again. New culture!!!!111

Thank God we're all here to.protect the sanctity of Woody's money. This money's for QBs only boy.

So I guess the that $16M/year number is a figment of the media's imagination argument is pretty much out the window, huh? 

Revis makes out like a bandit, he essentially just got an extra 10 mil for this year, practically guaranteed.

If he is healthy, they will tear up this contract and give him guaranteed money, if not, he got an extra 10 mil that he would not have gotten from the Jets.

This is not a terrible idea for the Bucs, if healthy, they got great value for the 13 pick in a perceived weak draft, and at a risk of 16 mil, it's not a bad move for them.

Jets make out well because they were not going to resign him, and could not get zero for him.

I actually think this works out for everyone, considering.

I of course wish we could have signed him for something in the 10 mil per range, but since that was not happening, it is the best we could have done, no leverage, and no other bidders.

I think there's a good chance of that happening at some point.  But Tampa would have to do it mid-season.  After the season's over he's already (essentially) guaranteed to get $16M from Tampa just for the upcoming season.

But that's their business.

I've yet to see the team, yet, that breaks the bank so ridiculously with such high annual dollars on a non-QB and becomes SB champs as a result.  Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Mario...let's see how many SBs those 3 teams get.  The two "cheap" years are over on Fitzgerald's new deal and now he hits their cap at $18-21M for each of the next 3 years.  With 1 WR eating up all that - all time great as he is - Arizona's going to have to get at least 3 starters out of every draft class and get lucky with other peoples' garbage (Kolb, Palmer, etc.) at QB.  Technically possible, but a damn tall order.

Same with us and Revis.  Assuming both are 100% healthy, he's better than Cromartie.  But he isn't worth two Cromarties.  He just isn't.

So I guess the that $16M/year number is a figment of the media's imagination argument is pretty much out the window, huh?

Sure it is. If they werr more up front and correct more than once every blue moon i might have avoided saying thar. Still a fag move by a fag.franchise that so desperately wants to be just like its big brothers.

I loathe that people buy this garbage hook, line, and sinker. Paying Revise stopped the Jets from paying no one. Its unbelievably hateable that anyone can support this sh*t. This franchise has absolutely just warped its fan base...

Oh and yes, Woody's urge to.save his money is the majority of why this trade happened.the league helped him out with some.press and a nice tucking.of.the FA CBs, but this.is about Woody saving his money and selling.us another rebuild. Like loyal, trained puppies the majority are in yet again. New culture!!!!111

So you loathe me?

Damn, we had such a good thing going all these years. 

How much money would he get then?  30 million?  40 million?  Coming off an injury he is not going to get a Mario Williams $50 million.  

He will get 16 million this year.  He will likely get another 16 million next year even in the worst case scenario he is not Revis Island this year.  Seeing the Bucs are on the hook for a first, they would likely give him a third proove it year unless he is Darius Butler bad. 

In real terms they probably keep him for 2-3 years unless he is noticeably worse than he used to be.  For all the "80% of Revis is better than 100% of _____" comments, no team wants a CB for 80% of what he was for that kind of coin, when he isn't worth that money at 100%.

Money aside, the Patriots would be vastly improved by an 80% Revis.

From the Bucs perspective, he might be worth it.  They are in a division with Matty Ice, Drew BBBrrreeeezzzzz, Cam Newton and their assortment of receivers. With the cap room to burn and in a division where your QB is 3rd best, a lock down CB teamed with Golson, might be enough to get them 3-4 more wins.   

But Rex said we already have a #1 corner in Cromartie, take that!

Blah blah blah the Jets can absolutely re-sign Revis for $12M/year blah blah blah.  Revis isn't really asking for $15-16M blah blah blah, that's a number that hasn't floated around since 2-3 years ago blah blah blah.  Sources say blah blah blah but no one ever heard blah blah blah directly from Revis blah blah blah so Revis wouldn't and couldn't have hit our cap at $19M/year blah blah blah.  Manish Mehta's sources says $12-13M blah blah blah the other sources are sources that don't have real sources blah blah blah.  They don't know what Revis really wants blah blah blah. Since I wanted Revis back for $12M, it was therefore possible for that to get done blah blah blah. No one else thinks he's an impact player blah blah blah.  Woody's a cheapskate blah blah blah, and that's why the Jets never sign anyone to huge money blah blah blah.

lol

How much money would he get then?  30 million?  40 million?  Coming off an injury he is not going to get a Mario Williams $50 million.  

He will get 16 million this year.  He will likely get another 16 million next year even in the worst case scenario he is not Revis Island this year.  Seeing the Bucs are on the hook for a first, they would likely give him a third proove it year unless he is Darius Butler bad. 

Money aside, the Patriots would be vastly improved by an 80% Revis.

From the Bucs perspective, he might be worth it.  They are in a division with Matty Ice, Drew BBBrrreeeezzzzz, Cam Newton and their assortment of receivers. With the cap room to burn and in a division where your QB is 3rd best, a lock down CB teamed with Golson, might be enough to get them 3-4 more wins.   

Money is NOT aside, which is the whole point.  If money was "aside" Revis would still be on the Jets.  Revis at 80% is better than Kyle Wilson also.  It matters not if he wants $16M/year.

lol

No matter what criticism the Jets are getting, and how awesome everyone agrees Revis is, all-pro this and HOF that, there are 31 NFL teams that are privately saying, "$16M/year, every year, for one CB? And he's coming off an ACL tear? That's the dumbest f*cking thing ever."

No wonder we could barely get a mid-1st rounder and a 4th or 3rd next year.  

sperm is right, ,Team revis Money demands made this almost a impossible deal for Jets to pull off.. Thank goodness there was one idiotic team in NFL to be trading partners

Archived