Idzik A.K.A THE SHEILD

NCJETSFAN

I'm worried about the whole jet organization . I feel that our new GM is just a figure head to take the heat off woody. He is the one making the descions . At least Jerry jones is the GM and takes the Heat ! Woody has no balls to take the heat from jet fans

Why?

Tanny was an oh look, a shiny new object GM and Idzik so far has been the opposite trading away their best player.Pretty sure drastic difference in approach if Woody's behind the curtain.

Besides, when you think of Hardknocks.  Mikey T. had a ton of autonomy, or so it seemed.

Yeah, I get the impression that there is a much clearer definition and demarkation of responsibilities.   I think part of the problem in the past was the buddy-buddy collaborative  approach of Woody, Tanny and Rex -- the Three Amigos.  Now, we clearly have a GM who is making personnel decisions with Rex having been put into a box.  Just not blowing all of our mid-round picks to move up for "first round talent" should have a positive effect over the long haul.  

I'm worried about the whole jet organization . I feel that our new GM is just a figure head to take the heat off woody. He is the one making the descions . At least Jerry jones is the GM and takes the Heat ! Woody has no balls to take the heat from jet fans

You're off to an outstanding start. Please, start another thread! :)

Someones been listening to wfan from 1 to 6

Yeah, I get the impression that there is a much clearer definition and demarkation of responsibilities.   I think part of the problem in the past was the buddy-buddy collaborative  approach of Woody, Tanny and Rex -- the Three Amigos.  Now, we clearly have a GM who is making personnel decisions with Rex having been put into a box.  Just not blowing all of our mid-round picks to move up for "first round talent" should have a positive effect over the long haul.  

We know Woody didn't want to sign Revis.  Whether or not that meant 12mil or 16mil or whatever who knows, it seems there was no conversation. So from that standpoint, what was Idzik to do?   He has a boss who wanted the guy gone,  a HC who is a lame duck who wants the guy, and he's a new guy on the block.  So he listened to his boss and got what he could.  I don't see anything good or bad about the Revis trade.  I see it more as something Woody wanted and Idzik tried his best to get the best value.

I see Woody wanting things to change and start slashing salaries, so Idzik has been slashing salaries and signing other teams scrubs, injury prone guys or guys nobody really wants.   If they turn out to be good, wonderful. If not, its mostly one year minimum salary risks.  So far it's all about cleaning house.   Now they need to actually build a team.

We know Woody didn't want to sign Revis.  Whether or not that meant 12mil or 16mil or whatever who knows, it seems there was no conversation. So from that standpoint, what was Idzik to do?   He has a boss who wanted the guy gone,  a HC who is a lame duck who wants the guy, and he's a new guy on the block.  So he listened to his boss and got what he could.  I don't see anything good or bad about the Revis trade.  I see it more as something Woody wanted and Idzik tried his best to get the best value.

Thanks for your deep and personal insight into Woody's mind, Peedro.  Did it ever occur to you that re-signing Revis was an untenable position for the Jets and trading him was simply the right thing to do for the team's future?  That hardly makes Idzik Woody's puppet.

Thanks for your deep and personal insight into Woody's mind, Peedro.  Did it ever occur to you that re-signing Revis was an untenable position for the Jets and trading him was simply the right thing to do for the team's future?  That hardly makes Idzik Woody's puppet.

It's a crazy amount of money, but getting a #13 for possible the best CB and defensive player in the NFL isn't exactly getting equal value or 'building'for the future.  More like they got the best they could in a bad situation.   And this isn't a new story.  Revis has had his attitude problems and Woody has seemed to grow pissed about dealing with those issues.  Money or no money, it became obvious a long time ago, Woody wanted nothing to do with Revis.  So Idzik had no choice.  

What would have happened if Idzik agreed with Rex and thought the Jets needed Revis for the future?   Idzik is the new guy so the only thing he has to go by is what has been told to him by others and by Woody. And we know Rex would do anything to keep Revis.    So one of the first moves a GM makes is to trade away a HOF type CB in his prime ?  I'd say it was more Woody than Idzik.  The money factor might've made sense, but there never seemed to be any real conversations or negotiations between any of the sides.   So a new guy who has no history with any of these people decides its better to trade the best player on a team without ever trying to negotiate with him?   That's either straight from Woody or Idzik jumps to conclusions without communicating with anybody. 

It's a crazy amount of money, but getting a #13 for possible the best CB and defensive player in the NFL isn't exactly getting equal value or 'building'for the future. More like they got the best they could in a bad situation. And this isn't a new story. Revis has had his attitude problems and Woody has seemed to grow pissed about dealing with those issues. Money or no money, it became obvious a long time ago, Woody wanted nothing to do with Revis. So Idzik had no choice.

What would have happened if Idzik agreed with Rex and thought the Jets needed Revis for the future? Idzik is the new guy so the only thing he has to go by is what has been told to him by others and by Woody. And we know Rex would do anything to keep Revis. So one of the first moves a GM makes is to trade away a HOF type CB in his prime ? I'd say it was more Woody than Idzik. The money factor might've made sense, but there never seemed to be any real conversations or negotiations between any of the sides. So a new guy who has no history with any of these people decides its better to trade the best player on a team without ever trying to negotiate with him? That's either straight from Woody or Idzik jumps to conclusions without communicating with anybody.

Oooooorrrrrrr, they knew it was concrete that Revis wanted 16mil per firm, costing them 19mil per and it wasnt even worth talking about. To you, does Revis seem like a reasonable guy when it comes to his money?

Another thought, maybe Woody saw Revis' Falcon hat pic and threw up in his mouth like I did...but he actually had the power and balls to send him packing.

Maybe Woody and Idzik came to an agreement that Revis is gone and that was one of the terms in which he were hired...would he be considered a puppet then?

Whatever the reason, Revis is gone...and although I can never prove it...Im comfortable thinking, this trade will give us the ability and freedom to be a better team in 2, 3, 4 yrs then with the 16-19 million dollar handicapp that was Revis.

So Kudos to WHOEVER made the decision.

And the fact that every team in football, save one, agreed with that, should lend some credence to the idea.

Oooooorrrrrrr, they knew it was concrete that Revis wanted 16mil per firm, costing them 19mil per and it wasnt even worth talking about. To you, does Revis seem like a reasonable guy when it comes to his money?

Another thought, maybe Woody saw Revis' Falcon hat pic and threw up in his mouth like I did...but he actually had the power and balls to send him packing.

Maybe Woody and Idzik came to an agreement that Revis is gone and that was one of the terms in which he were hired...would he be considered a puppet then?

Whatever the reason, Revis is gone...and although I can never prove it...Im comfortable thinking, this trade will give us the ability and freedom to be a better team in 2, 3, 4 yrs then with the 16-19 million dollar handicapp that was Revis.

So Kudos to WHOEVER made the decision.

Of course a player can ask for whatever he wants, but that does not make him right.  The media never criticized Revis for his greed, for his self-centredness.  Now they print stories of Revis and his camp saying that the Jets lied to him.  Please. This guy was a great player to watch, no question.  But that is just physical talent.  Having football talent has nothing to do with character.  And of course, we have Mevis taking the predictable unverifiable cheap shot after he has gone out the door.

Quote from woody:

"There's never been a year when I haven't tried to win using

everything that I have to try to build a team that's capable of doing

that," Johnson explained. "This year is no different. ... We're

committed to putting a team on the field that's a winning team."

Does he live in the real world?

He's so worried about black lash with ticket sales he can't even say we are going to be rebuilding ad it will take 5 yrs !

We need a QB and there's no one this yr or next year really

Tanny? Is that you Mike?

It's a crazy amount of money, but getting a #13 for possible the best CB and defensive player in the NFL isn't exactly getting equal value or 'building'for the future.  More like they got the best they could in a bad situation.   And this isn't a new story.  Revis has had his attitude problems and Woody has seemed to grow pissed about dealing with those issues.  Money or no money, it became obvious a long time ago, Woody wanted nothing to do with Revis.  So Idzik had no choice.  

What would have happened if Idzik agreed with Rex and thought the Jets needed Revis for the future?   Idzik is the new guy so the only thing he has to go by is what has been told to him by others and by Woody. And we know Rex would do anything to keep Revis.    So one of the first moves a GM makes is to trade away a HOF type CB in his prime ?  I'd say it was more Woody than Idzik.  The money factor might've made sense, but there never seemed to be any real conversations or negotiations between any of the sides.   So a new guy who has no history with any of these people decides its better to trade the best player on a team without ever trying to negotiate with him?   That's either straight from Woody or Idzik jumps to conclusions without communicating with anybody. 

I think that reaches beyond just criticizing the Jets, no matter how fashionable it is for some to do so right now.

The fact remains that 30 of 31 teams offered us nothing.  Neither Revis's uncle/agents/desire to get $16M/year, nor his ACL injury, are things you can blame Idzik or Woody or Tannenbaum for. 

We got a f*ckload more for Revis than Carolina got for a 100% healthy Julius Peppers.

We only got that pick in large part because of his cost, in small part because of his ACL, and ultimately because no one wants to devote the resources of two #1 picks plus the salary of two pro bowlers in their prime, for just one CB no matter how great he is.  The position doesn't warrant it.

I see Woody wanting things to change and start slashing salaries, so Idzik has been slashing salaries and signing other teams scrubs, injury prone guys or guys nobody really wants.   If they turn out to be good, wonderful. If not, its mostly one year minimum salary risks.  So far it's all about cleaning house.   Now they need to actually build a team.

I think you're putting a negative spin on a necessary evil. This is a demolition year, but unfortunately the guaranteed contracts for Sanchez, Holmes, and Harris make a complete demolition impossible. Plus there's the added problem that trading Revis costs $3M more against the cap than keeping him would've. 

I suspect next offseason to be the polar opposite of this one. They'll have $50M in cap space and more than 10 draft picks. They've had a couple decent drafts from Tannenbaum the last two years, and Idzik has a nice collection of picks this year to continue the youth movement. But with the budget constraints and uncertainty at the head coach position, there's really only so much he can do this year, 

So one of the first moves a GM makes is to trade away a HOF type CB in his prime ?  I'd say it was more Woody than Idzik.  The money factor might've made sense, but there never seemed to be any real conversations or negotiations between any of the sides.   So a new guy who has no history with any of these people decides its better to trade the best player on a team without ever trying to negotiate with him?   That's either straight from Woody or Idzik jumps to conclusions without communicating with anybody. 

I think it's pretty clear that the Jets were fully aware of what Revis' contract demands were going to be, and that if he didn't get them, he was going to the highest bidder after the season - and that highest bidder was not going to be the Jets. Idzik didn't walk into an empty building, he had basically the entire front office and the owner's experience with Revis to learn from and form an opinion. 

It may be Woody's money, but it's Idzik's budget to build a team. Would he want $19M/year -more than one-sixth of their total cap- devoted to a potential HoF CB coming off an ACL injury? I don't think this was a dictate from the owner, I think the new GM and owner were in agreement on this one. 

Now that new GM has an extra high pick this year, and a ton of cap room and a potentially clean slate (head coach and QB gone) to build his team from scratch. There was a lot of chatter about the Jets GM job not being very attractive, but Idzik seems to have a plan in place to rebuild the team in his image in two years. I don't think he finds it all that unattractive. 

Archived