Idzik: Jets Already Fielding Calls to Trade Up

flgreen

Jets won’t rule out QB; fielding trade offers
April 24th, 2013 4:13 pm

New York Jets general manager John Idzik said Wednesday that his team would “not be averse” to picking any player, including a quarterback, in the first round, but that the team had already been fielding telephone calls from other teams looking to move up, Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports.

“I think the real substantive talks will come tomorrow,” he said. “I think we’re in a position at No. 9 and No. 13 in the first round to get two really good players, but it also opens up the gates for potential alternatives, potentially trading down and picking up more players. We’ll be open minded about it. This is a very deep draft.”

Idzik said the Jets’ first-round draft decisions will not be dictated by need, but by “the talent available when we pick.”

Asked if the Jets would pick a quarterback in the first round, Idzik said he would not talk about specific players or positions, but “we would not be averse to picking any player if our evaluation determines that is the best talent available when we pick.”

The quarterback the Jets have shown the most interest in during their draft preparations is Ryan Nassib of Syracuse. New offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg has met with Nassib and worked him out personally, believing Nassib is best suited for the short passing game of the West Coast offense that Mornhinweg is installing.

Good news. Seems like every team wants to move down and it might just be a buyers market, so this is encouraging. We will probably not get full value (from draft value chart) for our pick due to a weak draft up top.

Can someone tell me when Nassib became a "top prospect" and somehow jumped from a mid-rd pick, to the 1st rd, to top 10?   

It seems like Nassib was a nobody until the SU coach took over in Buffalo and everyone just assumed that he want his college QB.    If Kirk Cousins was in this draft he would be a top 10 pick...

We all saw Idzik handle the Revis trade like a pimp and only release to the media what he wanted released.  This is no doubt misdirection at its very best.

This. Thank Christ that they finally shut up and plugged the media leaks.

Can someone tell me when Nassib became a "top prospect" and somehow jumped from a mid-rd pick, to the 1st rd, to top 10?   

It seems like Nassib was a nobody until the SU coach took over in Buffalo and everyone just assumed that he want his college QB.    If Kirk Cousins was in this draft he would be a top 10 pick...

If he's picked in the mid-first, that's likely where he's been thought of all along.  All this falling and rising is just the media getting whispers from scouts or pundits and having no real idea.  If anything, the reason some of these guys rise towards the last few months is that they re-watch some of the tape or just get to watching the tape and then there final reaction is what they think of him.  It happened last year where everyone was calling Seattle crazy for drafting Bruce Irvin so early and how how Kiper is on there saying "I had him as a second round pick," meanwhile he was probably the most coveted pass-rusher in the draft and he showed why last year.

Archived