Sal Paolantonio on Milliner

T0mShane

Being interviewed on 1050:

1. Scouts told Paolantonio that Milliner is "not a shutdown corner," nor is he a "Pro Bowl level talent."

2. Milliner is not healthy now and might not be ready by the start of camp.

3. Stated that the draft was Idzik's call "all the way," and that Idzik is conservative and will not (and did not) deviate from his board.

4. The Jets target was 100% Austin and when he went, Milliner was the next guy on the board.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I guess it's possible. I tend to disagree since no one in Alabama's front 7 was dominant and Milliner wasn't exactly playing the flats all game. He was playing man to man, bump and run all season. That plus his combine numbers and I would have to think that his floor is Sean Smith.

1. Scouts told Paolantonio that Milliner is "not a shutdown corner," nor is he a "Pro Bowl level talent."

3. Stated that the draft was Idzik's call "all the way," and that Idzik is conservative and will not (and did not) deviate from his board.

4. The Jets target was 100% Austin and when he went, Milliner was the next guy on the board.

Sal Pal from Cortland last summer:

"Mark Sanchez has been playing lights out and I really expect him to have a solid year".

So Austin was their guy ? Ok did they bother to call the Rams ? because if the Rams would have offered the Jets what they offered the Bills no way could the Jets pass up all those picks .... Tells me the Jets did not handle this situation as well as they could have. As per usual

if the Idiot Jets call the Rams they would have had the 13th and 16th pick and 2 2nd 3rd and 5th round picks

So Austin was their guy ? Ok did they bother to call the Rams ? because if the Rams would have offered the Jets what they offered the Bills no way could the Jets pass up all those picks .... Tells me the Jets did not handle this situation as well as they could have. As per usual

We didn't offer a trade because we wanted Austin, period.  We were as transparent as could be on that one, and got played.

We didn't offer a trade because we wanted Austin, period.  We were as transparent as could be on that one, and got played.

you too?

How exactly did we get "played"?  You think the fookin Rams didn't know our offense sucks?

Yeah, I guess it's possible. I tend to disagree since no one in Alabama's front 7 was dominant and Milliner wasn't exactly playing the flats all game. He was playing man to man, bump and run all season. That plus his combine numbers and I would have to think that his floor is Sean Smith.

I'm not sold that this means anything more than he played on an Alabama team that had a good defense.  A defense that doesn't exactly face the best college QBs and WRs.   The SEC hasn't been churning out great offenses the last few seasons.  All I know is Johnny Football kind of made the Alabama defense look suspect.  Georgia kind of did the same thing.           

Big effin' newsflash.  More accurately, his rehab activity has been limited strictly because of his desire to participate in the Combine and pre-draft team meetings.  He will be ready for training camp -- it was a minor surgery. Sal is a mook and a piss poor "source" of inside info.

The Bama doctor and the Jets both believe he will be ready for camp.

Your saying the same thing Im saying and if you ask anyone on this board or in the sane world would you rather have Austin or 3 more picks 2 of which were a 2nd and a 3rd no way Austin gets selected.

We all know the Rams wanted Austin so a phone call is a no brainer. Would love to know what went on behind the scenes and if the Jets even bothered to make the call.

Then they need new scouts...I think DJ Hayden is a better CB prospect than Dee Milliner. For the Jets sake, I hope I am wrong.

Watched Hayden play quite a bit, gotta say I disagree.  Didn't watch a ton of Milliner, but he looked good the games I did watch against superior talent.  As for Hayden...there's going to be a HUGE jump in the talent he's facing from C-USA talent to NFL Wideouts.  He's a great story and I'm pulling for him, kid almost died after all -- but he's not all-pro material, IMO.

you too?

How exactly did we get "played"?  You think the fookin Rams didn't know our offense sucks?

PAC how could you not see we got played ? Did you see what the Rams offered Buffalo ?? We didnt actully get played we played with ourselves.... to say it better

if the Idiot Jets call the Rams they would have had the 13th and 16th pick and 2 2nd 3rd and 5th round picks

That makes no sense. If Austin was there...they would taken him. Not traded him.

Well its either we got played or we did a helluva job with a smokescreen. I think it was the former.

It'd be kinda funny if Rex called his buddy Jeff Fisher yesterday to tip him off that Austin was Idzik's first choice, knowing that Milliner and Richardson were next on the board.

That makes no sense. If Austin was there...they would taken him. Not traded him.

Hess it makes total sense . If the Jets wanted Austin they should have known full well the Rams might make a play for him. Therefore they should have been proactive and made the call. especially with buffalo picking at 8.

Now lets consider the jets actully make that call and the Rams Offer them their first which is number 16 a 2nd 3rd and 5th would you expect the jets not to take that deal knowing wee need to fill numerous holes and only lose 7 slots in the draft as opposed to not getting the player you want at all ?  

PAC how could you not see we got played ? Did you see what the Rams offered Buffalo ?? We didnt actully get played we played with ourselves.... to say it better

Smash use your head.  You're trying to tell me they Rams saw an article 2 days ago and sprung into action?

Our offense was a dumpster fire last year.  OF COURSE we were contemplating taking the most dynamic offensive weapon in the draft.  There has been talk about the Rams moving up for Austin for months.

So, the guy who went to the combine with an injured shoulder so that he could run for everyone and show how go he is and still have time to have it repaired before the season started is now more of an injury risk than the corner who almost died on the field with a shredded vein near his heart?  Hayden still has not been cleared to play football, but we were supposed to grab him over the consensus number 1 corner in this class since high school.

I'm not sold that this means anything more than he played on an Alabama team that had a good defense.  A defense that doesn't exactly face the best college QBs and WRs.   The SEC hasn't been churning out great offenses the last few seasons.  All I know is Johnny Football kind of made the Alabama defense look suspect.  Georgia kind of did the same thing.           

Kind of exactly what I'm saying. There were not many NFL ready players on that defense last year, yet Milliner played great. A great front 7 can make a bad CB look better then he really is.

Watched Hayden play quite a bit, gotta say I disagree.  Didn't watch a ton of Milliner, but he looked good the games I did watch against superior talent.  As for Hayden...there's going to be a HUGE jump in the talent he's facing from C-USA talent to NFL Wideouts.  He's a great story and I'm pulling for him, kid almost died after all -- but he's not all-pro material, IMO.

You mean to tell there is a difference in talent between conference USA and SEC? I totally agree Millner look good against the top competition in the country period. Icant understand people infatuation with Hayden. 

So, is it safe to say you are over your Rex-steria?

Smash use your head.  You're trying to tell me they Rams saw an article 2 days ago and sprung into action?

Our offense was a dumpster fire last year.  OF COURSE we were contemplating taking the most dynamic offensive weapon in the draft.  There has been talk about the Rams moving up for Austin for months.

holy mother of god PAC . Who has Austin right now ???? The team who also has been saying they wanted him the Rams and they offered a boat load of picks to trade up and get him. MY QUESTION TO YOU IS did the Jets not see the possibility the Rams might jump them and deal with the Bills ? of course they didnt because they suck at the draft.

With that being said if the Jets did notice and called the Rams do you think it would have been a good move to pass up all those picks and select Austin ??? We have been talking anout trading out of one of our picks for more picks all week and the Jets NEED picks because we are in need at so many positions. In your mind you give that up for a five foot 8 slot receiver which we already have in Kerly ??

Hess it makes total sense . If the Jets wanted Austin they should have known full well the Rams might make a play for him. Therefore they should have been proactive and made the call. especially with buffalo picking at 8.

Now lets consider the jets actully make that call and the Rams Offer them their first which is number 16 a 2nd 3rd and 5th would you expect the jets not to take that deal knowing wee need to fill numerous holes and only lose 7 slots in the draft as opposed to not getting the player you want at all ?

How would the Jets know the Rams, or any team for that matter, would make a play for him? With their crystal ball? That is completely unfair. It's total hindsight, monday morning stuff you're talking about Smash. No team is going to run their draft in complete paranoia of, "what ifs" on every other team trying to trade up in front of them.

And no, I wouldn't expect the Jets to take any deal on a guy who was their first choice all along. They'd have just taken Austin.

So, the guy who went to the combine with an injured shoulder so that he could run for everyone and show how go he is and still have time to have it repaired before the season started is now more of an injury risk than the corner who almost died on the field with a shredded vein near his heart?  Hayden still has not been cleared to play football, but we were supposed to grab him over the consensus number 1 corner in this class since high school.

I really liked Hayden as a sleeper pick (3rd or 4th round) and had no idea how he would skyrocket as a prospect.  While he runs and covers extremely well, and seems to have better hands than Milliner, there is no comparison between the two otherwise.  Hayden is a marginal tackler and weak against the run.  He will have problems going against bigger, stronger receivers. He should still be a very good cover guy in the NFL (except when he gets out-manned) and is an upgrade and a perfect fit for the Raiders.  But no way is he in Milliner's league.  Milliner is the complete package -- maybe even the poor man's Mevi$.

Archived