I'm excited about the Jets again. Dammit, just.....dammit.

Jetsfan80

Ok Bit, You said the Jets couldn't  trade Revis, yet I am the delusional one.

The Jets love Rex so much that they have offered him up a big fat extension, haven't they? You are always one of the last ones to arrive at the party ;)

Where did I say anything about fans?

why would the Jets draft a man to man corner at 9 if they were gonna fire Rex as soon as the year was over? 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drafting for need is dumb. That's how you wind up drafting a kicker in the second round. 

This is a two year tear down/rebuild project. The Jets are still in phase one. Next year they'll have more picks (where they should continue the BAP approach), and a sh*tload of cap room to address specific needs with proven NFL players. Patience in key. 

IMO that is a one year rebuild.  Two offseasons, one down season and it's complete, ready to roll.  If they do their jobs right. 

I don't think we're better in the secondary after losing Landry and Bell, but Milliner obviously improves us at CB over what we had from last year. Overall I think we will miss Landry and Bell, though. Everywhere else you are correct, we are better.

in some ways Dawan might be more steady than Laron. Bush could very well be an upgrade over Bell who, at least IMO, was a liability in coverage. If Milliner is even close to a healthy Leon Hall, I'll consider it an upgrade.

why would the Jets draft a man to man corner at 9 if they were gonna fire Rex as soon as the year was over? 

Why would they hire an offensive coordinator one year, only to fire him the next?

Or trade for a QB that does not fit their system, then dump him the next season?

If Milliner gives you chills that Rex is going to stay-Have at it. I watched you orgasm on any Revis news that you felt would make him stay, only to walk to your chagrin.

You are a broken record on these things.

Drafting for need is dumb. That's how you wind up drafting a kicker in the second round. 

This is a two year tear down/rebuild project. The Jets are still in phase one. Next year they'll have more picks (where they should continue the BAP approach), and a sh*tload of cap room to address specific needs with proven NFL players. Patience in key. 

How many picks are we expected to have in 2014? 

Even if Idzik thinks he might want to send Rex packing on next year, you don't pass on what you think could potentially be a franchise QB when you don't have one, because of that.  They are two completely independent decisions that you can't let be influenced by one another, as they are both too important to be dictated by an unrelated set of circumstances.

So you're saying Idzik WIFOM'd us?

Why would they hire an offensive coordinator one year, only to fire him the next?

Or trade for a QB that does not fit their system, then dump him the next season?

If Milliner gives you chills that Rex is going to stay-Have at it. I watched you orgasm on any Revis news that you felt would make him stay, only to walk to your chagrin.

I love when Scott and Bit argue; they're 2 people I disagree with so adamently on so many things.  Better them arguing with each other than me arguing with either.

Anyone else feel like they've been sucked back in by the Jets in the aftermath of the draft?

Before the draft, Mark Sanchez was pencilled in as the starter pending the health and effectiveness of David Garrard.  While the idea of Garrard, or anyone else, winning the job was preferable by a longshot, it wasn't exactly a result that screamed "bigtime storyline" or a "game-changer".  Sanchez starting meant an unwatchable season and waiting until the 2014 draft for that top 5 pick.  Garrard starting made the season only barely watchable.....and still waiting for that 2014 top 5 draft pick.

But now....

Tebow is gone.  Sanchez's trade or release seems imminent.  Whatever Sanchez's fate, it's a "when" not "if" for Geno Smith's time behind center.  We might actually have a future at the QB position that won't have to wait until 2014.

And just by residual effect, the idea of a potential franchise QB makes the whole roster look just a little bit better.  I questioned the 1st round draft choices on the first night of the draft, thanks in part to the beer and a sense that we were NOT, in fact, taking BPA (we were).  But starting the day after and increasing as time went on, my approval of the entire draft, not just the Geno pick, has gone way up. 

If Geno is the goods, our trio of Holmes-Kerley-Hill looks way better.  The offensive line looks like it has plenty of bodies to protect him.  We have more talent at RB than perhaps we've ever had under the Rex era.  And on the other side of the ball, if Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson play up to potential, we're scary once again.

I'm finding it hard not to like what Idzik has already done.  But we're Jets fans.  So waiting for the other shoe to drop is what we do.  How much should I be tempering my expectations?  Give me some reasons to be pessimistic.

Agree with everything you said here. Looking forward to seeing what they got this year and most importantly seeing what Geno can do.

I think the D is gonna be amazing...that line has the ability to be the best in the league if they all reach their potential (i know, big if) and I'm not as down on our WR's either. Itll be interesting to see how much better they look with a good (or at elast decent) QB throwing to them.

First, you need to develop your offensive skill position players, which is why not taking a high ranking WR or TE in this draft was a huge mistake. Second, the Jets have underestimated the importance of continuity at the offensive skill positions. Ideally, you have a couple weapons for a QB that he can grow and develop with, give a guy a talented set of receivers and tight ends, then shuffle out maybe 1 per year at most. Look, Sanchez deserves the blame, but the Jets could have done him a lot of favors by actually getting  a group of receivers and TE's around him. Instead, they shuffled them around like crazy. Stuckey was here, then gone. Cotchery played with Sanchez a few years, then gone. Burress was in and out in a year, Mason in less than a year. Edwards was here and successful, then left, then he's back again. Holmes came somewhere in the middle of all of this, and Hill and Kerley towards the end. The only guy he really had continuity with was Keller. Please don't do this to Geno Smith, that's what I'm saying.

I don't think you need to go "all need", but I wouldn't go "all BPA" either. We had a lot of flexibility here, a lot of our needs should have matched up better with BPA.

The biggest disappointment of the draft, for me, is the St. Louis trade up ahead of us. Now, I did covet Austin. However, IF (and it's an IF) the Jets were aware that St. Louis was willing to trade up that high, I would have preferred to be the ones to trade with them. Sure, here, take Tavon Austin. I'll take slightly less than you would have given the Bills. Fine. Those picks could have come in handy big time. With 13 we might have gotten Millner still, but Richardson at the very least... maybe we end up with a combination of Richardson and Jarvis Jones. I'll take that! Then go ahead and use those extra picks, maybe you pick up a Zach Ertz with that 2nd rounder or something. Trade back would have been huge for us.

I'm more excited for 2014. 2013 is a wash no matter what QB they start. No one thinks Geno is ready to step in and start and even if he is the weapons at the receiving positions are average at best. Defense will keep them in games but only for so long. With Rex still in flux it'll be a weird season to say the least.

i never said Revis would stay. i said he should stay which are two very different statements. or i hoped he'd stay. But the writing was on the wall for months (years). 

In this situation you are hoping for Rex to get fired when all the data suggests otherwise. 

i never said Revis would stay. i said he should stay which are two very different statements. or i hoped he'd stay. But the writing was on the wall for months (years). 

In this situation you are hoping for Rex to get fired when all the data suggests otherwise. 

Think rex's fate will be decided the last 5 games of the season.  All should be winable games.  If the team quits, he's gone.  if they show signs of life, he stays

What "data"? That the Jets went BAP (which you said), but then you also said "this was a Rex draft".

You are great at that stuff

What "data"? That the Jets went BAP (which you said), but then you also said "this was a Rex draft".

You are great at that stuff

It's possible for the draft to be both BAP and a Rex draft. Why can't it be both? 

as for data... Bottom line the team invested 2 first round picks on defense which doesn't seem to indicate that the defensive head coach is a lame duck.  

If you choose to ignore that fact than you are hoping. Which is what I did with Revis. Let me know how that works out. 

It's possible for the draft to be both BAP and a Rex draft. Why can't it be both? 

as for data... Bottom line the team invested 2 first round picks on defense which doesn't seem to indicate that the defensive head coach is a lame duck.  

If you choose to ignore that fact than you are hoping. Which is what I did with Revis. Let me know how that works out. 

This sounds like a lot of reaching, much like you did in the Revis saga.

Goa head Bit, dream away. If that makes you feel better......

This sounds like a lot of reaching, much like you did in the Revis saga.

Goa head Bit, dream away. If that makes you feel better......

I don't have to dream. Rex is the coach. You have to dream he gets fired. Like you dreamt last year.

JetsFan80, through the years:

I'm really excited to try this New Coke. I was getting tired of Old Coke!

I'm excited to see what Len Bias brings to the Celtics! I just bought his jersey!

I'm excited for Christa McAuliffe. God, she is gonna LOVE space!

I'm excited about Lucas re-imagining Star Wars, baby. That Jar Jar Binks CGI looks f#cking awesommmmmeeeeeeee."

I'm excited Pat Sajak finally got his own late night show! Screw that Letterman guy."

The Jets are going to be terrible this year but looking forward to see what happens with the QB position , next year is where all the action is going to happen with all the cap space , I am a Jets fans and what else going to do on Sunday watch the Jets drink beer eat some wings and get heckle by Giant fans

The Jets are going to be terrible this year but looking forward to see what happens with the QB position , next year is where all the action is going to happen with all the cap space , I am a Jets fans and what else going to do on Sunday watch the Jets drink beer eat some wings and get heckle by Giant fans

get redzone.  at least there is constant action.... and just maybe every once in a while you'll see a jets high/lowlight

Anyone else feel like they've been sucked back in by the Jets in the aftermath of the draft?

Before the draft, Mark Sanchez was pencilled in as the starter pending the health and effectiveness of David Garrard.  While the idea of Garrard, or anyone else, winning the job was preferable by a longshot, it wasn't exactly a result that screamed "bigtime storyline" or a "game-changer".  Sanchez starting meant an unwatchable season and waiting until the 2014 draft for that top 5 pick.  Garrard starting made the season only barely watchable.....and still waiting for that 2014 top 5 draft pick.

But now....

Tebow is gone.  Sanchez's trade or release seems imminent.  Whatever Sanchez's fate, it's a "when" not "if" for Geno Smith's time behind center.  We might actually have a future at the QB position that won't have to wait until 2014.

And just by residual effect, the idea of a potential franchise QB makes the whole roster look just a little bit better.  I questioned the 1st round draft choices on the first night of the draft, thanks in part to the beer and a sense that we were NOT, in fact, taking BPA (we were).  But starting the day after and increasing as time went on, my approval of the entire draft, not just the Geno pick, has gone way up. 

If Geno is the goods, our trio of Holmes-Kerley-Hill looks way better.  The offensive line looks like it has plenty of bodies to protect him.  We have more talent at RB than perhaps we've ever had under the Rex era.  And on the other side of the ball, if Coples-Wilkerson-Richardson play up to potential, we're scary once again.

I'm finding it hard not to like what Idzik has already done.  But we're Jets fans.  So waiting for the other shoe to drop is what we do.  How much should I be tempering my expectations?  Give me some reasons to be pessimistic.

Ive been living this for 40 + years

But now....

I hear you.  After last season, I was done as a Jets fan, even though I had been rooting for them since '64,  Now here I am again, at another Jets board posting and hoping against hope that they'll finally get it right this time.  Maybe we're all just a bunch of masochists.

It's hard to tell where Rex stands.  It's the last year of his deal, but why give him a rookie QB to start over with if he's on his way out the door?  Or is Idzik just trying to make this an attractive destination for the next coach?  So confused.  But aroused.

Idzik speaks as if he really likes Rex and they make a great team.  He acknowledged in his interview with Francessa that Rex had a lot of input into the draft.  The fact that Rex hasn't been extended say a lot imo.  Just as Idzik waited until after the draft to see how the Scouting and Personnel Depts. performed, I think he's gonna wait and see how the players Rex wanted pan out and what kind of job does with the team this year.  I think he'll judge Rex not just on the W-L record, but whether Rex has control of the team and it stops being a circus.

I have to admit that I was excited when Rex was first hired, but now pretty much want him gone.  He can be a very good DC at times and seemingly clueless at others.  I can't really judge him as a HC, because he's yet to act like one. He disdains or ignores the offense, and there's little or no accountability or consequences for poor play or dumb comments made to the media.  Maybe Rex can learn from Idzik and become a quality HC, but I doubt it.  I don't think he has the smarts.

I'm not on board with this draft at all.

There were 6 positions which were practically SCREAMING for an upgrade: QB, G, S, OLB, WR and TE.

-They addressed QB well, this was a weak draft but Geno in the 2nd was good value.

-They addressed G very well, picking a number of mid-low round guards, possibly even a future tackle if the case should arise.

However, in a draft with 8 picks, they only addressed 2 of their 6 major needs overall. That's a fail. Kyle Wilson is at least a league average #2 corner, despite our distorted perceptions on the matter. We had at least a league average d-line IMO with 3 up and comers in Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis. An upgrade was fine at each of these spots, but it's a luxury more than a necessity.

If you're happy about this draft, let me put it this way: going into the 2014 draft, what will be our top 2 positions of need? OLB and WR. AGAIN. For about 5 years now, those have been huge positions of need and we could have done something at those positions this year. Now it's another year away.

I understand your questions and concerns about the draft.  I'm not strictly a BPA guy and have been screaming that the Jets' biggest need for the last 5-10 years has been a legit pass rusher.  That said, I'm pretty happy with this draft, or at least am willing to give Idzik the benefit of the doubt. At least he didn't fall in love with and trade up to get any players (although he did inquire about trading up to get Smith in the 2nd), and actually tried to trade down.  He doesn't make big splashy moves to make the back pages of the tabloids ala Tanny, but quietly and professionally goes about his business.  I like almost everything he's done so far.  He wasn't my choice for GM, but so far looks to be doing a great job.  Time will tell if he made the right draft picks and the moves he makes in the Scouting & Personnel Depts. will be the right ones.

His stated philosophy is that in the draft one takes BPA and one uses FA to fill needs.  In general, I agree with that philosophy, but I don't believe in adhering to any one draft philosophy mindlessly.  In this particular draft, however, the Jets had so many holes that I think BPA was the only way to go.  They needed talent and solid players perhaps more than any one position of need.  They got the best CB and QBs in the draft, and some "experts" think the best DT prospect as well.  He definitely upgraded the RB position, the secondary, the OL, OL depth, and quite possibly found our franchise QB with a 2nd round pick.  All in all, not too shabby.

Archived