ESPN Stats & Info's excerpt on Geno

BroadwayJoe12

The folks at ESPN Stats & Information have provided an in-depth look at QB Geno Smith. Drink it in: 

SHOTGUN SHOW: Smith attempted over 96 percent of his passes out of a shotgun or pistol formation in his career. West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen introduced Smith to the pistol in 2011, and he has thrown 42 touchdowns and four interceptions out of that formation since then. Jets perspective: The shotgun is a big part of Marty Mornhinweg's offense, but it's not the base formation. With the Eagles last season, Mornhinweg's quarterbacks attempted 69 percent of their passes out of the shotgun. 

ipad_bc_pa_genosmith_332.jpgIllustration by Bryan Christie DesignGeno Smith

RUN THREAT: Smith scrambled for 253 yards and averaged 7.2 yards per scramble in 2012. But the run wasn't a big part of the system for the Mountaineers. Smith attempted only 11 designed rushes in 2012 and averaged 2.6 yards per rush on those carries.Jets perspective: After drafting Smith, the Jets indicated they could install some read-option packages for him. 

BLITZ BUSTER: Robert Griffin III led the NFL with a 96.8 Total QBR when facing five or more pass-rushers in 2012. Like Griffin, Smith excelled against extra pressure in his final year of college. In his final year at Baylor, Griffin completed 70.2 percent of throws against added pressure, with a 11-0 TD-to-INT ratio. Smith was at 70.8 percent with a 12-1 ratio in 2012.Jets perspective: Smith was blitzed a lot because West Virginia often played in an open formation without a tight end. The Jets were blitzed a lot last season because ... well, they didn't have any blitz-blitzing wide receivers. 

SHORT BUT EFFECTIVE: Smith threw 177 of his 518 passes at or behind the line of scrimmage in 2012, including an AQ-high 112 screen passes. As a result, Smith's average pass traveled 7.7 yards past the line of scrimmage, the fewest air yards per attempt of any top QB prospect. Jets perspective: In college, Smith benefited from having WR Tavon Austin, who had more yards-after-catch than any receiver in the draft. The Jets don't have a guy like that, but the backs will be more involved in the passing game than last season. 

GOING DEEP: Smith completed over 42 percent of his passes thrown 15 yards or longer in 2012, including 15 touchdowns. Yet in West Virginia's six losses, Smith completed fewer than a quarter of his 15-yard throws and was off target (overthrown, underthrown or wide) on more than half of his attempts. Jets perspective: Smith's deep accuracy was a concern for the Jets; they studied it closely in his pro-day workout.

Cimini poster this earlier; nothing that particularly jumps out or is any sort of new information, but I found it interesting how ESPN or Cimini mentioned that while MMs base-formation on offense isn't in the shotgun, they took 69% of their snaps out of that formation.  Not sure I could care less what he wants to call his base-formation, for if you take 70% of your snaps from shotgun, that's your primary formation.

sounds like a contradiction to say shotgun isn't your base passing formation and then have 69% of your pass plays come from that formation

Not if you are a run-first offense that runs 60% of the time. Then it's only 69% of the passes that come out of 40% of the plays from scrimmage at shot gun.

Not if you are a run-first offense that runs 60% of the time. Then it's only 69% of the passes that come out of 40% of the plays from scrimmage at shot gun.

ok i read it wrong....i thought it said not his base PASSING formation

Several NFL executives who spent "extensive time"
with Jets rookie Geno Smith before the draft believe Smith faces
significant NFL roadblocks because he's "tuned out" and fails to realize
he doesn't know everything. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction
because he pretty much wouldn't listenor talk to our coaches," said the exec. "...
You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all
down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership ability. "He
doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a
bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."
Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone"
during pre-draft team visits. "All these other players who were in
there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he
was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want
out of your quarterback." May 1 - 3:55 PM

Now, this is something I didn't enjoy reading.

60% of the time it works every time.

Also, I saw a stat about how a good chunk of geno's passes were completed behind the line of scrimmage, so his completion percentage numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

because he pretty much wouldn't listenor talk to our coaches," said the exec. "...
You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all

Sadly, sounds like a guy who might do well on his second team after he falls on his face for the first one and learns humility too late.

Sorry, but get used to it.

He's not going to be a quick study

Sadly, sounds like a guy who might do well on his second team after he falls on his face for the first one and learns humility too late.

The wanting to leave New York after pouting the night away at the draft, the interview where he told a reporter "that's a dumb question" (it may well have been, I dont' remember the question) and now this stuff is a little worrying.

Also, I saw a stat about how a good chunk of geno's passes were completed behind the line of scrimmage, so his completion percentage numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

Go take a look at what Brady, Brees and Rodger do in the NFL; guarantee all three of those guys lead the league in passes at or behind the line of scrimmage.  Who cares where the passes are going so long as he's completing them at a high clip and it's not designed that way because of limitations in his arm strength.

Yeah was going to say...the Patriots rarely have Brady throw the ball down the field anymore

I had the stats to back it up at one point, but not sure what they are.  regardless, the only time throwing short matters is if it's dictated by the limitation in the arm strength of the QB.  Since Geno has a very strong arm, I find zero fault in him throwing the ball short; these people weren't complaining about RGIII's high accuracy in college and shorter throws.  Those that want to find fault will find fault and those who don't will look to rationalize it away; hopefully the latter are correct.

There is a reason, besides on the field weaknesses , that teams didn't pick him.    If he can overcome all of this, then maybe he can improve his on the field weaknesses, if he can't, he doesn't seem to be that freak of nature like RG3 or Cam Newton or hell Favre where bad attitudes just mean they throw temper tantrums.  We've seen it with Newton.  Saw it for years with Favre.  See it with lots of great athletes in every sport. Hell look at Shaq & Kobe and they were winning.

But then you have the Ryan Leafs, Russels, Vince Young's who had a ton of questions but a ton of talent, and in the end, just another guy who couldn't handle the NFL. There are many guys like that. And QBs are far more front and center.  And Smith at this point you might as well say is a first round pick.  He thinks he is,  the Jets probably hope he is their future franchise QB, fans hope so, and the media has anointed him another big story. The only difference is the Jets didn't have to pay first round money to the guy.

The guy had an attitude for not being drafted.  Who cares.  The guy already fired his agents right after being drafted.  Who cares.   In the end all of these could mean nothing.  Or it could mean anything and he's out of the NFL in a few years.   The only worry the Jets would have is if he shows enough potential this year that they don't draft another QB for years and he winds up being a troubled QB who thinks he doesn't have to work at being a great QB.

Geno is a project, with good raw skills to work with and a lot to learn.  It just so happens, MM has a track record of developing QB's into something special.  Kid has a real shot if he keeps his head screwed on.

Brees and Brady complete a lot of passes behind the line of scrimmage too.

that freaks me out a little. hope he's not a pouter like Sanchez, and will also step up and be a leader. not let the 3rd sting qb call out people when they screw up!

couldn't believe that 2 years ago. Sanchez is just going with the flow while the whole team is falling apart and our 3rd string qb is the one that steps up and says something. I'll always have alot of respect for greg for that.

Geno is a project, with good raw skills to work with and a lot to learn.  It just so happens, MM has a track record of developing QB's into something special.  Kid has a real shot if he keeps his head screwed on.

Who has MM ever developed?      

You might be able to give him credit for helping Favre a little or Garcia putting up decent numbers, but he didn't develop those guys.   

I guess Sherman Lewis and Steve Marucci had nothing to do with Favre considering they were the OC & QB coaches.  MM spent 1 season as QB coach after Favre already won an MVP award.   That's not developing anybody.  

Favres seasons before MM became QB coach.     18 TDs, 19 TDs, 33 TDs, 38 TDs and an MVP award.

He was a QA coach during that MVP award but i guess 

The One season MM was QB Coach.  39 TDs

Then he went to the 49ers as did Marucci.   So if you give MM credit, you have to give Steve credit for Favre and Garcia too.   

At the end of the day, who knows what MM is good at.  Was he really doing all that much in Philly or was it Reid?   And he wasn't turning rookies into stars.

I mean his time in Philly to develop young QBs would be Kevin Kolb and Nick Foles.  Kolb was worse than Sanchez.   Foles didn't look that good and obviously they don't have much faith in the guy considering they resigned Vick and drafted a QB.

Archived