Bucs Hatched Idea For Revis Soon After Injury

flgreen

Buccaneers hatched trade idea for Darrelle Revis soon after injury

20130422_jla_sv7_462.JPG

Bucs GM Mark Dominik saw the knee injury as an opportunity to land Darrelle Revis. (USA Today Sports)

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By  Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger  
on May 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM, updated May 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

As with most deals in the NFL, Tampa Bay's interest in Darrelle Revis was hatched long before the papers were signed last month.

In fact, Bucs GM Mark Dominik said that his team began showing interest soon after Revis endured a season-ending ACL against the Dolphins.

“Quite frankly, it started when he blew out his knee,” Dominik said on NFL Network yesterday. “I actually went into our director of player personnel Dennis Hickey’s office and I said, ‘That could be a reason why he could leave the Jets.’ Because I knew what his contract situation was, and so when he hurt his knee, I thought, ‘That’s going to be an out possibility’.”

Reports out of Tampa Bay suggest that Revis will be ready for his Week One return to MetLife Stadium and, about a month after the trade, Dominik still thinks he has the best cornerback in football.

The Jets, meanwhile, await Dee Milliner's return to the field to see if they can develop a suitable replacement.

20130422_jla_sv7_462.JPG

Bucs GM Mark Dominik saw the knee injury as an opportunity to land Darrelle Revis. (USA Today Sports)

As with most deals in the NFL, Tampa Bay's interest in Darrelle Revis was hatched long before the papers were signed last month.

In fact, Bucs GM Mark Dominik said that his team began showing interest soon after Revis endured a season-ending ACL against the Dolphins.

“Quite frankly, it started when he blew out his knee,” Dominik said on NFL Network yesterday. “I actually went into our director of player personnel Dennis Hickey’s office and I said, ‘That could be a reason why he could leave the Jets.’ Because I knew what his contract situation was, and so when he hurt his knee, I thought, ‘That’s going to be an out possibility’.”

Reports out of Tampa Bay suggest that Revis will be ready for his Week One return to MetLife Stadium and, about a month after the trade, Dominik still thinks he has the best cornerback in football.

The Jets, meanwhile, await Dee Milliner's return to the field to see if they can develop a suitable replacement.

Dominik DOES have the best cornerback in football...possibly in football history

Dominik is full of sh*t, and will be flushed out of there once it becomes clear that Schiano can't coach. He "hatched the idea" to get Revis when Idzik called and offered Revis, then he "made it happen" when Malcolm Glazer handed him a blank check.

Why does anyone think this isn't believable? Didn't we have threads about this when Revis went down? It was immediately obvious that his injury was going to make extending his contract much more difficult. I imagine a lot of teams had the same idea. The only thing that set Tampa apart was the owner being willing to pay the man.

This isn't an article. This is Mike Florio trolling Jets fans for clicks.

Clever alias, Florio!

Is it still 2009?

Your a fool for even making that comment. He is beyond proven.  I will happily eat sht if I'm wrong this year.....and i know your next comment will be well he wanted all this money and cornerbacks dont win superbowls and ra ra ra ra ra ra ra. Revis is elite and your ignorant if you think otherwise.

20130422_jla_sv7_462.JPG

Clever alias, Florio!

I figured it was this article, which I only read the headline for... is the premise of my statement wrong? No.

Bucs saw Darrelle Revis knee injury as an opportunity
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 21, 2013, 9:12 AM EDT
revisbuc.jpg?w=250AP

The moment when Darrelle Revis went down with a torn ACL last year, Buccaneers General Manager Mark Dominik recognized an opportunity.

Dominik told NFL Network that he immediately thought about the possibility that the Jets might decide to trade Revis, and that the Bucs’ front office started thinking about what Revis could mean to Tampa’s future during the 2012 season.

“Quite frankly, it started when he blew out his knee,” Dominik said. “I actually went into our director of player personnel Dennis Hickey’s office and I said, ‘That could be a reason why he could leave the Jets.’ Because I knew what his contract situation was, and so when he hurt his knee, I thought, ‘That’s going to be an out possibility’.”

Dominik said all indications are that Revis is making big strides in his recovery, and that he’s going to be the same Revis who was a three-time All-Pro for the Jets.

“I think we’re getting the No. 1 cornerback in the National Football League,” Dominik said.

If Dominik is right about that, he was smart to start thinking about Revis the moment he went down.

Your a fool for even making that comment. He is beyond proven.  I will happily eat sht if I'm wrong this year.....and i know your next comment will be well he wanted all this money and cornerbacks dont win superbowls and ra ra ra ra ra ra ra. Revis is elite and your ignorant if you think otherwise.

I never said he wasn't proven.  I never even said he wasn't excellent.  That said, he's still living off the hype of an admittedly amazing 2009 season, in which he still lost out on DPOY to another CB.  In the three seasons since then he has been unable to replicate that season or prove himself to be substantially better than the other top CBs in the league, never mind the GOAT.  Forgetting the money for moment, I think the guy is a fantastic player, but has simply become overrated based on one season from which we are now 4 years removed.  That's not particularly helped by the fact that he's coming off a serious injury and has now missed games due to injury on 3 occasions over the past 3 seasons.

I never said he wasn't proven.  I never even said he wasn't excellent.  That said, he's still living off the hype of an admittedly amazing 2009 season, in which he still lost out on DPOY to another CB.  In the three seasons since then he has been unable to replicate that season or prove himself to be substantially better than the other top CBs in the league, never mind the GOAT.  Forgetting the money for moment, I think the guy is a fantastic player, but has simply become overrated based on one season from which we are now 4 years removed.  That's not particularly helped by the fact that he's coming off a serious injury and has now missed games due to injury on 3 occasions over the past 3 seasons.

your points are all valid. But hes not overrated and that DPOY award was all his and the only reason it wasn't was bc of the team he played for and everyone knows it.  He played at an elite level in 2011 as well...in 2010 he was hampered by the hammy injury but still performed exceptionally well.  When all is said and done w Revis career...the only one who can be put next tot him is neon deion. And to be honest...I'm not sure you will see a CB do what he did in 2009 for another 15-20 years if that.

your points are all valid. But hes not overrated and that DPOY award was all his and the only reason it wasn't was bc of the team he played for and everyone knows it.  He played at an elite level in 2011 as well...in 2010 he was hampered by the hammy injury but still performed exceptionally well.  When all is said and done w Revis career...the only one who can be put next tot him is neon deion. And to be honest...I'm not sure you will see a CB do what he did in 2009 for another 15-20 years if that.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting to see another CB replicate his 2009 season any time soon.  The point is, neither will Revis.  Revis was great in 2011, but I just didn't see what he did that put him on any level above the league's other top CBs.  As far as 2010, he really gets no sympathy from me given that his injury was his own fault, as he showed up to the team completely out of shape, which caused him to play rather mediocre even before the injury.  I guess my only point is that his 2009 was absolutely amazing, but outside of that year, I don't see much distinction between him and any other of the league's great CBs.  Doesn't mean he's a bad player, far from it, I personally just don't get the pedestal he's been put on.  Given the health issues, I actually trust Cromartie more this season than I would Revis.  Doesn't mean I'll be right about that of course, but just my opinion.

Greatest Jet of all time and these ****s ducked out as soon as they could with the support of their ****head loyalists worried about Woody's money. Can we just not talk about Revis anymore?

You first.

Oh yeah, I'm not expecting to see another CB replicate his 2009 season any time soon.  The point is, neither will Revis.  Revis was great in 2011, but I just didn't see what he did that put him on any level above the league's other top CBs.  As far as 2010, he really gets no sympathy from me given that his injury was his own fault, as he showed up to the team completely out of shape, which caused him to play rather mediocre even before the injury.  I guess my only point is that his 2009 was absolutely amazing, but outside of that year, I don't see much distinction between him and any other of the league's great CBs.  Doesn't mean he's a bad player, far from it, I personally just don't get the pedestal he's been put on.  Given the health issues, I actually trust Cromartie more this season than I would Revis.  Doesn't mean I'll be right about that of course, but just my opinion.

Well i will credit you this.....your points make me feel a tad bit better with having him gone...although i only agree about 75% of what you say its not worth arguing at this point bc he is a buc.  Cheers!

No chance an Achilles repair could slow down a guy that relies on his speed and reaction time?  Hmmmmm

Clever alias, Florio!

See, this is what I mean, it's impossible for Florio to go 10 posts without a new Jets headline in there... Jets could pick starter... OR they could not, either way... click, click, click!!! 

Jets could pick starting quarterback before training camp
Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2013, 1:07 PM EDT
marty.jpg?w=225AP

In New York, the player who wins the starting quarterback job in 2013 arguably will be the first guy to possibly lose it.  If so, his window for losing it could open weeks before Week One.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets could declare a starter before the start of training camp.

“We don’t care what the prevailing thought is,” offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg told Mehta regarding the view that the fight won’t be resolved before the start of camp. “We only care about our competition here.”

Well, if they care about competition, the competition will continue into the more inherently competitive portions of the calendar.  For now, practices occur without pads and limited contact.  In training camp, it’s closer to real football.  In preseason games, it’s considerably closer.

This approach suggests that the Jets would like to go with Geno Smith, and that they prefer to spend July and August getting him ready in lieu of making him fight for a job he’s already destined to have.

“When you [compete in training camp],” Mornhinweg said, “you give up some reps individually for the possible starter if you don’t select him quite as quickly.”

Either way, Mornhinweg hasn’t made a commitment to how and when the competition will be resolved.  Essentially, they’ll know it when they see it.

“Once a man separates himself, then we’ll think about making those choices, but I want a man to separate himself,” Mornhinweg said. “If not, we’ll keep the competition grinding.  That’s important.  That’s important in this situation.”

What’s ultimately important is finding the best guy to win games, because it’s believed that another bad year from the Jets will get the entire coaching staff fired.

Which will serve only to put more pressure on whoever the quarterback is.

Archived