Zach Rogers

F.Chowds

Jets WR Zach Rogers stood out among deep class at Tennessee

Darin Hinshaw had countless scouts in his office at Tennessee last season asking questions and watching film on Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter.

As the Volunteers' wide receiver coach, it was easy to say nice things about two NFL-ready wideouts with first or second-round grades on them.

But after sharing the tape, Hinshaw said everyone would leave asking more about Zach Rogers, the 6-0, 172-pound slot receiver who posted 32 catches for 491 yards and seven touchdowns his senior year.

He wasn't surprised.

"After you watched the games, they all wanted to know about Zach," Hinshaw, now the passing game coordinator at the University of Cincinnati, said by phone Friday. "And everybody said it: You got two good ones here, but Zach Rogers -- I don't want to say he's going to be the best one -- but the Jets are really going to like having him."

He added: "You can always count on Zach Rogers. The only reason he's not super big-time is, he's 180 pounds and -- you know, he was just as fast as the other guys -- and honestly, it's because he's white." He said this part with a laugh.

The curiosity surrounding Rogers ballooned last week when Rex Ryan pegged him as one of the early risers in rookie minicamp. Spotlighting prospects without pads on is a fickle, and often worthless, exercise but Hinshaw saw it coming after watching Rogers operate in his pro-style offense at Tennessee.

The Vols' passing game drew from both the Patriots and Packers offenses. Rogers would be primarily used in the slot, but could split out to expand the offense. Opponents ran plenty of two-high safety looks against Tennessee to counter Hunter and Patterson and that's when Rogers would bump out wide.

"He's so fast, the South Carolina game last year he played against some really good defensive backs and tore them up for three touchdowns," Hinshaw said. "But he can split out, we split him out to run the deep post and take the top off the defenses."

The easy, and incorrect, way to pigeonhole a wide receiver like Rogers would be to compare him against current slot receivers of a similar body type: Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Eddie Royal, Jordan Shipley.

"He's not Welker, Wes is a little squattier and has a lot of strength and is really, really quick," Hinshaw said. "Zach is very quick but doesn't have the strength Wes has. He's a little bit faster."

Except for one similarity.

"But he's definitely like those guys in that you can see him playing 15 years in the NFL," Hinshaw said.

This could be true from the articale

"He added: "You can always count on Zach Rogers. The only reason he's not super big-time is, he's 180 pounds and -- you know, he was just as fast as the other guys -- and honestly, it's because he's white." He said this part with a laugh."

"But he's definitely like those guys in that you can see him playing 15 years in the NFL," Hinshaw said.

If he plays 15 years for the Jets he might get 1,000 yards receiving.  :)

I was going to make a similar post. I really like this kid. Someone said he's got a knack for getting open. I hope he makes the team, but we will have to see if he can get open vs our 1st and 2nd team corners. 

It sounds like he already has Jordan White's roster spot.

Considering he is an UDFA, I like Rogers a lot, but one thing has to be remembered here.  Because he was on the  field frequently with  Patterson and Hunter he was often being covered 1 on 1 by the other teams 4 or 5th DB, who is now a gym teacher at Robert E Lee elementary school.

We could really use a guy who can catch the ball-there's something about having those tough dependable white kids on the team, they play a different style of game than hot dogs like Hill

If you are going to bring race into it, and I think I speak for most African Americans, we don't want Hill repping the blacks. Thanks.

We could really use a guy who can catch the ball-there's something about having those tough dependable white kids on the team, they play a different style of game than hot dogs like Hill

Why is Hill a hot dog?   Dude has crap hands, but he seems like a nice kid

i hope hes that blue collar worker that goes and out works everybody and does what hes told w/no bullsh!t and he catches some balls and scores some touchdowns w/whomever may b throwing to him.

i hope hes that blue collar worker that goes and out works everybody and does what hes told w/no bullsh!t and he catches some balls and scores some touchdowns w/whomever may b throwing to him.

He's an undersized white receiver. That's the scouting profile of every undersized white receiver

It's gonna be so funny when it turns out that Zach Rogers is a weed-addicted, sizzurp-slurping, Lil Wayne-listening thug homey who uses his first paycheck to buy a gold tooth.

Would you rather he gets a tattoo of his favorite hoodrat wearing a Sanchez Jersey?

It's gonna be so funny when it turns out that Zach Rogers is a weed-addicted, sizzurp-slurping, Lil Wayne-listening thug homey who uses his first paycheck to buy a gold tooth.

You're thinking of Da'Rick Rodgers from Tennessee, the one who might be good.

Yeah, but he'll still qualify as a gritty, lunch-pail type as long as he's still white.

Archived