Namath's take on Rex Ryan

shhwagah

Yeah, that was a goofy statement.

He got offered a HC job, if anything, that's a good statement about Ryan, that one of his head guys got promoted.  I agree overall, you can't be that friendly,.

To be fair, I think this article is from 2013  At that point Pettine had left to become DC of the Bills.  At the time, the two trains of thought were he was running away to escape dysfunctional Rex or he was looking to step out of Ryan's shadow and get credit for running the D.  He got a head job, so I guess it worked out for him, but it was Cleveland, so maybe not.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His defense - especially BARF Scott - realized it and didn't bother to show up in Pittsburgh. That team was flat as a pancake which shows another of Rex's flaws. That he can't do anything right consistently. Yeah, he can pull of a great upset here and there, but watch what happens the next week. Jets lose 35-10. 

Watch what happens when he has 2 weeks to game plan. 

Watch what happens when he has 2 weeks to game plan. 

I've always thought this criticism was a bit overblown.  It is strange.  Ryan is 6-1 to start the season and the one loss was 10-9 to the Ravens in a game that Sanchez threw for sub-100 yards.  After the bye, they were 1-6.  Maybe all it proves is that Ryan is a .500 coach or that it is very dependent upon who they play.  The first two years, they lost squeakers - a close game to the Jags and that 9-0 debacle against Green Bay.  Ryan obviously put had a good defensive game plan and execution to hold eventual super bowl champ Rodgers to 9.  2011 they beat the Bills.  The next 3 years they sucked and played even worse after the bye than the rest of the year.  If it were just not being good with time to game plan, wouldn't the team have been worse in the openers?

According to the new book on Rex and the Jets, Low Crossers...Pettine and Rex were not on the greatest terms. I wish this site would just stop with the rex crap anyway. He is GONE, GONE GONE and I am GLAD, GLAD, GLAD. SO enough Rex already.

All of it may be 100% true, but then my post you're quoting was from 2 years ago.

Also your post is kind of like me lamenting that people still talk about Herm Edwards. Actually it's exactly like that.

Also your post is kind of like me lamenting that people still talk about Herm Edwards. Actually it's exactly like that.

When you really think about it, had Pennington not injured his shoulder, he and Herm would have won a championship together.  Discuss.

To be fair, I think this article is from 2013  At that point Pettine had left to become DC of the Bills.  At the time, the two trains of thought were he was running away to escape dysfunctional Rex or he was looking to step out of Ryan's shadow and get credit for running the D.  He got a head job, so I guess it worked out for him, but it was Cleveland, so maybe not.

That makes sense, but then what do I care what Joe said about Rex 2 years ago?

I've always thought this criticism was a bit overblown. It is strange. Ryan is 6-1 to start the season and the one loss was 10-9 to the Ravens in a game that Sanchez threw for sub-100 yards. After the bye, they were 1-6. Maybe all it proves is that Ryan is a .500 coach or that it is very dependent upon who they play. The first two years, they lost squeakers - a close game to the Jags and that 9-0 debacle against Green Bay. Ryan obviously put had a good defensive game plan and execution to hold eventual super bowl champ Rodgers to 9. 2011 they beat the Bills. The next 3 years they sucked and played even worse after the bye than the rest of the year. If it were just not being good with time to game plan, wouldn't the team have been worse in the openers?

I said 2 weeks. It is implicit that I'm talking about BYE weeks, because that is where he failed.

I know his record in openers. I would have worded my statement differently if I meant anything more than what I said.

You've got to love fans thinking they're allowed to say the dumbest sh*t known to man when they log onto the internet but Joe friggen Namath isn't allowed to say things we all know are right and agree with.  Because.  

For what its worth I think Rex's style works well with an older veteran player or team because vets don't need as much guidance, hand holding and teaching.  Once the team started getting younger Rex style was less effective

You've got to love fans thinking they're allowed to say the dumbest sh*t known to man when they log onto the internet but Joe friggen Namath isn't allowed to say things we all know are right and agree with.  Because.  

For what its worth I think Rex's style works well with an older veteran player or team because vets don't need as much guidance, hand holding and teaching.  Once the team started getting younger Rex style was less effective

Which is why Tanny should never have given Favre his release or at least found Rex a decent vet QB.. The last Jet HC that had to deal with a rookie QB was Joe Walton in 1984 and Kenny only started 5 games and was 1-4.. Rex had to deal with 2 rookie QB's..

When you really think about it, had Pennington not injured his shoulder, he and Herm would have won a championship together. Discuss.

This is probably true. Who knew Pennington and Fieldler would get season ending injuries in consecutive series!!!

You can't make it up. Herm was an average to below average HC who wasn't going to win anywhere with Bollinger at the helm.

Let's Go Jets!!

Which is why Tanny should never have given Favre his release or at least found Rex a decent vet QB.. The last Jet HC that had to deal with a rookie QB was Joe Walton in 1984 and Kenny only started 5 games and was 1-4.. Rex had to deal with 2 rookie QB's..

Bingo!!!!

Why give Farve his release and then follow up with a Cotchery release in later years when you dont have the talent to bridge the gap? Why?

Because you don't know what you are doing. That is why!!

It is and was total incompetence!!!!

Tanny is far more culpable then Rex IMO.

Bingo!!!!

Why give Farve his release and then follow up with a Cotchery release in later years when you dont have the talent to bridge the gap? Why?

Because you don't know what you are doing. That is why!!

It is and was total incompetence!!!!

Tanny is far more culpable then Rex IMO.

Favre was under contract Tanny did not have to release just because Favre said he was going to retire for the 3rd or 4th time.. Cotchery saw himself as a number 2 W/R he wasn't happy behind Edwards and Holmes.. But your right Tanny didn't have to give him his release either he was under contract..

Rex wanted Sanchez, they got Sanchez, and Rex refused to sit Sanchez. Rex wanted to start Sanchez up until the day Sanchez left the team.

Rex wanted Sanchez, they got Sanchez, and Rex refused to sit Sanchez. Rex wanted to start Sanchez up until the day Sanchez left the team.

Rex called Favre first but he was still doing his make believe retirement.. Rex needed a QB and Clemens wasn't going to be the guy plus many Jet fans wanted Sanchez as well.. Actually Rex did pull Sanchez for McElroy in 2012  but he got killed and went out with a concussion so Sanchez had to go back.. 

Rex called Favre first but he was still doing his make believe retirement.. Rex needed a QB and Clemens wasn't going to be the guy plus many Jet fans wanted Sanchez as well.. Actually Rex did pull Sanchez for McElroy in 2012 but he got killed and went out with a concussion so Sanchez had to go back..

Until the day Sanchez was off the team.

Dude, have some respect. Unless you can think of another former Jetsstarting QB who has a ring on his finger, than you ought to STMFU, Shhwaaga.

Sober or not, Namath is the Jets history and really is the only guy who has the right to say whatever the f$&! He wants about the Jets.

Favre was under contract Tanny did not have to release just because Favre said he was going to retire for the 3rd or 4th time.. Cotchery saw himself as a number 2 W/R he wasn't happy behind Edwards and Holmes.. But your right Tanny didn't have to give him his release either he was under contract..

Indeed what made the whole Farve thing sickening was he went on to have one of his greatest seasons EVER!!

The Jets probably WIN the SB with Farve under center that year with REX as HC that is how sick that "release" was!!! 

What would folks have said then!!!

Same Folks who say Rex wasn't any good AT ALL would be defending him to the death NOW!!

Life is funny at times.....

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Please, don't go there, not the "rookie QB hampered Rex".  Here's what history tells us now:  Mark Sanchez was a very good prospect and one that Rex Ryan ignored.  The kid led us to a 16-4 run, the best bout of consistent winning and elite play since 1969.  Any decent head coach would have made something out of him.  Rex Ryan destroyed him.

SAR I

Please, don't go there, not the "rookie QB hampered Rex".  Here's what history tells us now:  Mark Sanchez was a very good prospect and one that Rex Ryan ignored.  The kid led us to a 16-4 run, the best bout of consistent winning and elite play since 1969.  Any decent head coach would have made something out of him.  Rex Ryan destroyed him.

SAR I

So who destroyed your other favorite QB Matt Leinart?? I guess Chip Kelley couldn't resurrect poor Mark that's why he signed Tebow..LOL

I said 2 weeks. It is implicit that I'm talking about BYE weeks, because that is where he failed.

I know his record in openers. I would have worded my statement differently if I meant anything more than what I said.

I don't care WHY you worded it that way.  It's a bullsh*t distinction.  The starters sit week 4 preseason.  The coaches have extra time to prep.  Rex did very well in openers and very bad after the bye.  The situations are very similar, the results very different. 

Rex called Favre first but he was still doing his make believe retirement.

Pretty sure Rex said if they didn't pull off the Sanchez deal his NEXT stop would have been Mississippi.  I can imagine him calling Favre first and getting laughed in his face, but I don't think he ever placed that call.

So who destroyed your other favorite QB Matt Leinart?? I guess Chip Kelley couldn't resurrect poor Mark that's why he signed Tebow..LOL

The actual truth:

1.  Rex inherited a top offensive line, which can make any young QB look good.  Imagine David Carr or Joey Harrington starting off their careers with a line of Brick-Faneca-Mangold-Moore-Woody, when Brick and Mangold were in their primes?

2.  Tannenbaum had a high-spending, small window strategy, similar to the one he's employed in Miami.  That was most beneficial in 2010 when we had the most talented roster since 1998.  The consequences of this strategy began being felt in 2012.

3.  Both Sanchez and Rex actually sucked.  Sanchez sucked worse, but they still were both bad at their jobs.  The shine just took a long time to fade, since both had early success.  Too many bad personalities were allowed in the building, Rex's defensive system began getting figured out by the rest of the league, and the empire crumbled quickly.

I don't care WHY you worded it that way.  It's a bullsh*t distinction.  The starters sit week 4 preseason.  The coaches have extra time to prep.  Rex did very well in openers and very bad after the bye.  The situations are very similar, the results very different. 

When you break it down, Rex's teams weren't stellar in season openers either, even if the W-L record suggests otherwise.

The only openers where the team looked particularly good were in 2009 and 2012. In '09 the Jets took the league by storm and beat the sh*t out of the Texans.  They looked awful in a 10-9 loss against Baltimore in 2010, at home, then lucked into a win over the Cowboys in 2011 thanks to a late mistake by Romo.

Our 2012 win was against the sh*tty Bills, then we came back to earth and lost 3 of the next 4 in terrible fashion that season.  2013 we squeaked by a terrible Bucs team.  2014 we beat the Raiders.  Yippy, three straight seasons of cupcake openers. 

There's no compelling case that suggests Rex's teams were always ready to go to start the season.  There's a VERY compelling case that we were awful after byes.

When you break it down, Rex's teams weren't stellar in season openers either, even if the W-L record suggests otherwise.

The only openers where the team looked particularly good were in 2009 and 2012. In '09 the Jets took the league by storm and beat the sh*t out of the Texans.  They looked awful in a 10-9 loss against Baltimore in 2010, at home, then lucked into a win over the Cowboys in 2011 thanks to a late mistake by Romo.

Our 2012 win was against the sh*tty Bills, then we came back to earth and lost 3 of the next 4 in terrible fashion that season.  2013 we squeaked by a terrible Bucs team.  2014 we beat the Raiders.  Yippy, three straight seasons of cupcake openers. 

There's no compelling case that suggests Rex's teams were always ready to go to start the season.  There's a VERY compelling case that we were awful after byes.

Not really.  That last sentence is flat out false.  The "compelling case" for each is identical. They were awful when they were awful.  You want to rate their opponents?  I wouldn't say they looked awful in 2010.  Sanchez did, the defense looked sick.  As far as game planning goes, that is what is on Rex.  I don't see what 3 of the next 4 have to do with anything.  Are we considering preparation after a break or if the team sucked? They won 4 straight after the Packers game in 2010.  Is that relevant?  You are what your record is.  He only lost one opener.  Now you want style points?  Fact is, the pick against the Cowboys was preparation.  We had cupcake openers because we were a cupcake team. 

If I had said "Rex sucks after the BYE" then there is no argument. However, because I said "see how he is with 2 weeks to prepare" and you are incapable of making the correlation... IF you want to argue, you should argue that I need to spell things out for dumb people like you, otherwise stfu, my statement was what it was and accurate to boot.

Fixed for T0mshane, because: gay

Archived