Rex Ryan reaffirms that he's a Heckuvafootballcoachdefensively and doesn't care what anyone says

T0mShane

I love Rex, best coach we have ever had. And, I think Carroll is a clown, and very overrated.

But to play devils adjectives, would Rex have even been able to take advantage of having Wilson last year anyway? The Seahawks developed an offense for him, I don't think Spranao could have, and, Carroll at least chose Wilson to start when the safe money was on Flynn given his FA money.

If there is one thing I don't like about Rex it is his loyalty to sh*tchez, and I question whether he would have even started Wilson over sh*tchez last year anyway. That said, Rex is a million times a better coach than Carroll.

Meh, its easy to create an offense around a talented player.  The challenge is getting the something out of a sh*tty player like Jim Harbaugh and Alex Smith.  If Carroll was such a wiz, then why couldnt he create such an amazing offense the years before last?  Probably because Wilson is special player.  Kudos to them for finding him and having the balls to bench Flynn for him....but when you havent had a winning season in your career as a HC whats there to lose?

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right that you can't make the sh*t up on this site with guys like gato and you blindly being homers for Rex.  Being a cheerleader and getting excited doesn't make him a clown or doofus except to cynical, negative people.  Putting your foot in your big yap every time you open it and continually making stupid decisions, and acting like a moron is what makes you a clown and a doofus.

You obviously skipped the part where Carroll has had to totally rebuild his entre team.  Rex inherited a team with talent, that was basically missing a QB and a stud pass rusher, and better safety play.

He's a boob.  A total boob.  90% of the sh*t he does, you kill Rex for...you just dont read about it or hear about because it he's in gawd awful Seattle.  He's a players coach just like Rex.  Half his team is getting popped for PHD too.  The dude's a coward who ran from USC as fast as he could as soon as he knew the sanctions were coming.

If he truly is picking the groceries (which admittedly, I didnt know) I'm impressed.  But he's still a sh*tty HC who cant win outside his own building.  Probably should just be a GM.

And knock me and Gato for being blind homers (which is bull sh*t) but at the same time, you're just a hater who doesnt see any good in a great coach...so yeah, whatever. 

btw the NFL.com HC power rankings has Rex at 16 and Carroll at 15.

Rex is 34-30 and Pete is 25-23 (with his current team) 

It's possible they are both about average HCs. Not great, not terrible. It's also interesting to me how many of these so called top ranked coaches also have franchise QBs.

But in the discussion of Rex vs Pete, Rex at least is on his first job and has more upside. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000208735#photo=18

The defense clearly improved.

This newly re-moved goal post of requirements for Rex (and only Rex) is just ridiculous.  Meanwhile, probably 20-25 coaches would get fired using this new any/all-unit progressive-improvement requirement of yours, including both of the prior year's SB coaches.

When others tell me what a great defensive coach Rex is, the goal posts get placed.

It will happen whan you have a coach that is so clearly polarized in different areas of team development. This would be true for any coach

I'm not sold on Rex, but the guy had Mark Sanchez as his QB for his entire tenure here. I don't care if he played a major part in drafting or extending him; he's not the GM and - particularly as a "players' coach" - should not be trusted with these types of decisions. He won't be with Idzik (or so it seems so far).

If Sanchez was not extended, and a better QB was brought in to take that job away from him, I don't know what would have happened. But to argue it would have been just as bad is ridiculous considering Sanchez is the league's worst veteran starting QB by a mile.

Rex's GM skills and GM "help" cannot be trusted and should be ignored by whoever his GM is. He lets his personal feelings for players interfere with his sense of value to the team. A team can't be constructed by looking at stats and ratings like a video game. On the other hand one can't ignore such sub-standard play either and I feel Rex does this to a fault (especially when his GM asks him what he wants for his team & gives him a blank check to fill out for his own ,and potentially-incoming, FAs). Rex wants to believe players are better players and better fits than they are. It's his personality. But that is how a parent encourages children, not how an adult GM handles business.

For now I'm choosing to largely ignore that downside of Rex since the it was irresponsible to give him that responsibility in the first place. If the Jets traded down & drafted Russell Wilson instead of trading up and drafting Stephen Hill, is Rex any better or worse of a gameday coach? It made Pete Carroll better in everyone's eyes; he went from being a retread boob to a savvy, respected intellectual with an eye for hidden talent. In reality, Carroll's GM brought in Russell Wilson and the rookie beat out a total incompetent that same GM overpaid mightily for. All credit went to Carroll. Meanwhile if he knew so much about QB talent, and had such a hand in the team's acquisitions at the position, then explain away all the team's QB failures since he's been in Seattle, with the lone exception of Wilson.

Sucks for Rex, but he's not likely to get good QB play this year either. Hey, life's not fair. He should have screamed and yelled to Tannenbaum not to extend Sanchez, and a good way of preventing the extension would have been by benching him (yes, for Mark Brunell) towards the end of the prior season. He didn't, and his then-undying optimism for Sanchez may have cost himself his only shot at a HC gig as well. Time will tell.

If your personal view of a head coach's responsibilities begins and ends at "get one side of the ball functional," then you're right--Rex is fine. But if your conception of what a head coach's responsibilities might include contains any other criteria, Rex has been catastrophic in any of those. Player development, roster management, maintaining control of a locker room, hiring assistants, discipline, representing the organization well off the field, etc, etc, etc, etc--all failures. Unfortunately for Rex, a coach loses to ability to "just coach" when they stop being position coaches.

The head coach doesn't do as much as we think he does. Mike Tomlin is a glorified cheerleader. Bill Belichek is a mind f--ker. Without the horses these guys would be screwed.

I'd suggest you check out The Education of a Coach by David Halberstam, which does a good job explaining the intricacies of the Head Coaching profession.

Quick question ask your self honestly what is the Jets record last year with Mike Tomlin or Bill Belichek as the head coach. if you believe the 2012 Jets are significantly better, you are forgetting to factor in the players.

Neither of those coaches would be playing Sanchez. At all. And both of them would have put a mop in Mike Tannenbaum's hand within five minutes of meeting him. And neither of them would have given serious thought to hiring Tony Sparano as an Offensive Coordinator. So, yeah.

He's a boob.  A total boob.  90% of the sh*t he does, you kill Rex for...you just dont read about it or hear about because it he's in gawd awful Seattle.  He's a players coach just like Rex.  Half his team is getting popped for PHD too.  The dude's a coward who ran from USC as fast as he could as soon as he knew the sanctions were coming.

If he truly is picking the groceries (which admittedly, I didnt know) I'm impressed.  But he's still a sh*tty HC who cant win outside his own building.  Probably should just be a GM.

And knock me and Gato for being blind homers (which is bull sh*t) but at the same time, you're just a hater who doesnt see any good in a great coach...so yeah, whatever. 

And how is it that you have heard of all the stupid stuff that Carroll has done?  What makes you any different?  You just sound like a hater to me.  Please enlighten me (seriously) and give me some examples of some stupid stuff that he has said or done.  I know for sure that he hasn't made any crazy ass predictions like Rex, hasn't allowed other men to fondle his wife, or gotten a tattoo of his naked wife wearing nothing but the jersey of his starting QB. In researching my comments today, I scanned through a bunch of articles in various papers about Carroll.  In not one of them did I see any crazy or stupid crap.  In fact, the only negative thing I saw was that he supposedly blew a game with a bad decision.  You didn't even know enough about him to know that he's been shopping for the groceries.  He definitely used to be more of a player's coach when he was with the Jets and Pats.  He may still be to an extent, but unless he lied through his teeth in the article I read this year and what's happening in Seattle is a mirage, he has changed his approach.

I also disagree that he is a coward who ran from USC.  I think the only reasons he took the USC job are that he's from Southern California and he wanted to rehabilitate his image so he could return to the NFL as a HC.  If I'm not mistaken, most of his coaching career has been in the NFL.  He was a very good defensive coordinator for the Jets before he became the HC, and both the Jets and Pats had good Ds under him.   I remember reading today that at least one of those years his D was #6 in the NFL.  He is also something of a defensive innovator, just with the 4-3 instead of the 3-4.

Not true that I don't see any good in Rex.  I've said on numerous occasions that he's one of, if not THE best DC in the NFL.  I don't take any pleasure in criticizing Rex.  I really wanted him to succeed, not only for all of our sakes, but because he wanted to be here with the Jets, and his and his father's history with the team.  It's just that his continual stupid comments and actions, and his failure to grow and hold players accountable have turned me against him.  I'd still rather he grow up, change, get a brain transplant or something and become a class act and good HC, than have to fire him, because it would create better continuity and less turmoil and turnover.  The problem is, I've just seen enough of him where I no longer think he is capable of changing or growing.  It's just who he is.  

Meh, its easy to create an offense around a talented player.  The challenge is getting the something out of a sh*tty player like Jim Harbaugh and Alex Smith.  If Carroll was such a wiz, then why couldnt he create such an amazing offense the years before last?  Probably because Wilson is special player.  Kudos to them for finding him and having the balls to bench Flynn for him....but when you havent had a winning season in your career as a HC whats there to lose?

Er, because Carroll, like Rex, was a Defensive Coordinator before he became a HC.  In his first coaching job, as a graduate assistant at Pacific he coached the DBs and WRs.  Other than that, he was never an offensive coach, but a DB coach then DC.  Besides, neither I nor anyone else in this thread has said that Carroll was such a wiz with the offense or even at all.  That's your twist of what was said.  Again, I never said he was "great" just that he's done a very respectable and good job rebuilding the Seahawks,  supposedly has changed, and isn't the boob that some of you want to portray him as.  Anything else is your twisting my words to fit your agenda.  I'm done with this discussion.  My intent was never to spend hours defending Carroll.  Personally, as long as he isn't employed by the Jets, I really don't care how he does, but I do like to give credit where credit is due.

Never had a winning record?  Dude, you need to do some research before you open yer yap.  You're sounding as ignorant as Rex.  Carroll went 10-6 and won the AFC East his first year as Pats HC.  The 2nd year he was 9-7.  Last year with Seattle, he went 11-5.  Carroll's been a HC in the NFL for 7 seasons, Rex for 4.

Er, because Carroll, like Rex, was a Defensive Coordinator before he became a HC.  In his first coaching job, as a graduate assistant at Pacific he coached the DBs and WRs.  Other than that, he was never an offensive coach, but a DB coach then DC.  Besides, neither I nor anyone else in this thread has said that Carroll was such a wiz with the offense or even at all.  That's your twist of what was said.  Again, I never said he was "great" just that he's done a very respectable and good job rebuilding the Seahawks,  supposedly has changed, and isn't the boob that some of you want to portray him as.  Anything else is your twisting my words to fit your agenda.  I'm done with this discussion.  My intent was never to spend hours defending Carroll.  Personally, as long as he isn't employed by the Jets, I really don't care how he does, but I do like to give credit where credit is due.

Never had a winning record?  Dude, you need to do some research before you open yer yap.  You're sounding as ignorant as Rex.  Carroll went 10-6 and won the AFC East his first year as Pats HC.  The 2nd year he was 9-7.  Last year with Seattle, he went 11-5.  Carroll's been a HC in the NFL for 7 seasons, Rex for 4.

Good posts.  We disagree.

And I meant, with his current franchise.

btw the NFL.com HC power rankings has Rex at 16 and Carroll at 15.

Rex is 34-30 and Pete is 25-23 (with his current team) 

It's possible they are both about average HCs. Not great, not terrible. It's also interesting to me how many of these so called top ranked coaches also have franchise QBs.

But in the discussion of Rex vs Pete, Rex at least is on his first job and has more upside. 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap1000000208735#photo=18

WAIT?  SO YOU'RE SAYING REX IS NEITHER GREAT NOR AWFUL?  WHAT SHOULD I BE ANGRY ABOUT?  WHAT DO I YELL?

"The facts are so strong against this decision(of Mark Sanchez to come out early). After analyzing all the information, the truth is there—he should’ve stayed for another year. Mark’s chance to increase his value and become the top player in college football next year would have been worth $10-$20 million or more—likely more. One more year of running a team is almost priceless, so he lost the chance to fully prepare himself and become the very best he could be before going to the NFL. That’s why there’s a 62 percent failure rate for underclassmen quarterbacks." -USC Head Coach Pete Carroll 1/26/2009

"The facts are so strong against this decision(of Mark Sanchez to come out early). After analyzing all the information, the truth is there—he should’ve stayed for another year. Mark’s chance to increase his value and become the top player in college football next year would have been worth $10-$20 million or more—likely more. One more year of running a team is almost priceless, so he lost the chance to fully prepare himself and become the very best he could be before going to the NFL. That’s why there’s a 62 percent failure rate for underclassmen quarterbacks." -USC Head Coach Pete Carroll 1/26/2009

lolololol oh snap.

Rex has more upside.

Even if you do separate out the GM aspects of the job, you shouldn't lump in things that are HC responsibilities as part of the GM responsibilities and then disregarding them, which if I understand you correctly, you seem to be doing.

You can't really compare the first year records of Carroll and Ryan. The Jets had a much better team when Rex took over than the Seahawks did.  From 2003 - 2010, the Seahawk's record went like this: 10-6, 9-7, 13-3, 9-7, 10-6, 4-12, 5-11 and 7-9 (Carroll's first year n 2010).  The two years before Carroll took over, the team bottomed out.  I'm not a Seahawks fan, but it appears that they got old and that the GM had done a poor job with talent acquisition.  Conversely, the Jets record during the same time period: 6-10, 10-6, 4-12, 10-6, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7, 11-5 (Rex's second year).  Looking at the records it's pretty clear that while the Seahawks were a team on the decline, the Jets were a team on the rise.  As we know, the Jets had a great OL, veteran leadership on both sides of the ball, players with high character, and some good talent.  The Seahawks had to totally rebuild their OL, offensive skill players and defense.  Rex did NOT have the same disadvantages of Carroll.  The only advantage that Carroll had over Rex is that he had failed pretty badly as a HC 2x before in the NFL and had time to reflect upon that and make changes, whereas Rex did not.

Carroll changed the culture and its to his credit that his players didn't wind up despising him.  Mangini was a control freak and micro-manager, and seemingly not very passionate.  Both Rex and Carroll are more passionate, enthusiastic types.  Carroll has a definite edge here, however, as he doesn't make himself sound incredibly stupid with his press conferences and predictions.

I'm not saying that Carroll is a great offensive coach.  I think that both Rex and he are probably about equal there with perhaps Carroll being a little better.

Actually, I can't stand Sanchez or Rex.  Well, I have some degree of sympathy for Sanchez, but not for Rex.  The difference?  Sanchez was put in a position to fail, not succeed, by Rex.  He wasn't allowed to develop more slowly, and Rex moronically predicted a SB victory Sanchez' rookie season, thus putting a TON more pressure on him.  Rex compounded the problems with Sanchez by keeping an inept QB Coach and OC around.

All what lousy personnel moves by Seattle recently?  I didn't see but a couple of minor moves that didn't pan out.  With regard to Carroll "not" being the GM, I'm afraid that you are wrong.  Consider the following from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carroll  :

I don't understand your point about swapping players.  That makes no sense.  You could say the same about any teams in the NFL and their records would change.  Your points regarding the cap don't make any sense, either.  What the heck does that have to do with the job that Carroll has done putting together that football team?  If Smith pans out anywhere near as good as Wilson, then you could say the same thing about the Jets with Smith and Cro.

How is Carroll overrated and by whom?  I haven't heard anyone claiming that he's "great".  I have just been making the point that he isn't the hapless boob that you portray him to be, and has done a better job as HC than Rex.  Rex is undoubtedly a better DC, although Carroll was/is no slouch in that regard.  Rex's abilities as a DC is about his only redeeming quality that I see, and the only reason he hasn't been fired yet. I don't know of any other HC in NFL history that has lost his team two years in a row and admitted it and kept his job.

We'll just have to agree to disagree vis-a-vis Carroll and Rex.  I strongly believe that time will prove me right.  Carroll will have the Seahawks a perennial contender and Rex will wind up getting fired sooner than later and may never get another shot at being a HC.

A more accurate way of looking at Carroll is that he did absolutely nothing until he stepped in sh*t with Wilson.  You don't think Wilson is 4 games better than Sanchez? I do, and if that's the difference, then all the rest of this stuff is just window dressing.  Because 4 wins separated the Seahawks & a depleted Jets team.  

I can do the agree to disagree thing with Carroll, but I haven't seen him do anything except ride a hot rookie & a healthy beast of a RB in a career year.  He was already a 2x flop as a head coach at this level, and someone else drafting Russell Wilson would have made it 3x; he'd have been fired following a 3rd straight sub-.500 season in 2012 with Matt Flynn at the helm.

When others tell me what a great defensive coach Rex is, the goal posts get placed.

It will happen whan you have a coach that is so clearly polarized in different areas of team development. This would be true for any coach

I'm only saying that your new standard of progressive improvement is only a new standard because you've discovered it is an area one cannot point to Ryan succeeding at.  

Perhaps you think Ryan should have been a worse defensive coach his first year here.  Then he could have shown this suddenly-important progressive improvement every year.

If your personal view of a head coach's responsibilities begins and ends at "get one side of the ball functional," then you're right--Rex is fine. But if your conception of what a head coach's responsibilities might include contains any other criteria, Rex has been catastrophic in any of those. Player development, roster management, maintaining control of a locker room, hiring assistants, discipline, representing the organization well off the field, etc, etc, etc, etc--all failures. Unfortunately for Rex, a coach loses to ability to "just coach" when they stop being position coaches.

This is not my personal view of a head coach, as I've written above, so this post is meaningless.  But continue directing your ire at the straw man, by all means.

I don't even get how I'm defending this fat bastard. I'm not even a particular fan of Ryan's. I just think there's more to him than people give him credit for, and a lot of it is his annoying blustering and generally clownish comments that make him come across as an unserious coach.  Players who he's coached don't say that; most use words like "genius" to describe Ryan.  Even if that's a bit strong, which I think it is, clearly there is something he's doing other than wave pom-poms like Herm to earn that type of praise.  And I don't think people are born with an ability to only coach one side of the ball.  They're smart enough to coach or they are not; the rest is a willingness to learn & get better. 

He'll either improve as an overall coach or he won't.  He'll start by learning and getting with the times more on offense, or he'll get fired.  He'll let on-field performance be a greater decider of who plays and who sits instead of picking his favorites he's comfortable with, or he won't.  He'll temper his comments so he doesn't come across so immature or he won't.

If he doesn't do all of these things, he'll probably get fired, and justifiably so.  

You'd think he'd have figured out by now that winning requires a lil bit more than defense.

Hence the hire of Marty Mornhinweg, the drafting of the top consensus top QB in the draft in the 2nd, etc. I know, I know - he should have just run Sanchez through more Madden drills and made him a good QB like all the great coaches did. 

A more accurate way of looking at Carroll is that he did absolutely nothing until he stepped in sh*t with Wilson.  You don't think Wilson is 4 games better than Sanchez? I do, and if that's the difference, then all the rest of this stuff is just window dressing.  Because 4 wins separated the Seahawks & a depleted Jets team.  

I can do the agree to disagree thing with Carroll, but I haven't seen him do anything except ride a hot rookie & a healthy beast of a RB in a career year.  He was already a 2x flop as a head coach at this level, and someone else drafting Russell Wilson would have made it 3x; he'd have been fired following a 3rd straight sub-.500 season in 2012 with Matt Flynn at the helm.

Whatever.  You obviously have nothing but contempt for Carroll and don't want to see what he's accomplished. To say that he's done nothing but for Wilson is patently untrue.

I also see that you can't even admit that you were wrong about Carroll's being the de facto GM of the Seahawks and has built them into a solid team.  As good as Wilson is, it wouldn't make that much difference if he didn't have good players around him on offense and a good defense.  He has those thanks to Carroll.

Is that how the NFL, pro sports in general, works? You get a prime aged unit and it's supposed to make step by step, linear, gradual improvements?

No, actually the way sports works is that you get a job, then, four years later after you drive the team into the ground, you say that you're starting over. Sports. And then some fans rejoice, while others say, "what?"

This is not my personal view of a head coach, as I've written above, so this post is meaningless. But continue directing your ire at the straw man, by all means.

You don't think Rex should bear the blame for the state of the roster because he's not a GM, nor should he bear the blame for the offensive failings because he's not an OC. What's left?

Hence the hire of Marty Mornhinweg, the drafting of the top consensus top QB in the draft in the 2nd, etc.

In the same way that hiring Tony Sparano and drafting Stephen Hill addressed the offense. Just keep throwing new faces at it, then hide in the film room studying tape of Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill.

Conversely, the Jets record during the same time period: 6-10, 10-6, 4-12, 10-6, 4-12, 9-7, 9-7, 11-5 (Rex's second year).  Looking at the records it's pretty clear that while the Seahawks were a team on the decline, the Jets were a team on the rise.  As we know, the Jets had a great OL, veteran leadership on both sides of the ball, players with high character, and some good talent.

The Jets were a team on the rise?

Mangini went 4-12, the Jets bought Brett Favre and they went 8-3, Brett Favre got hurt and they finished 1-4. That's the team Rex took over. Having a couple OL and/or Mangini boyscouts hardly constitutes a team on the rise.

Or are you including Rex's first two years them being a team on the rise? Because they weren't on the rise then, either. They were on the back end of Tannenbaum's shopping sprees with a young QB who played better his first two years than he did he next two. After Rex's second year, the front office was focused on trying to keep the core together and and trying to buy a couple final pieces to get over the hump. Tannenbaum was more focused on resigning Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Revis as virtually any cost than he was focused on building a roster intelligently. Harris never should've been resigned. Mangold on his rookie deal was awesome, Mangold as the highest paid center in football - not quite as awesome.

The result was a roster that was always top heavy under Bradway & Tannenbaum becoming ridiculously top heavy. The team had no depth. No middle class talent. Just a handful of very expensive players, a few high risk signings, and a lot of cheap guys.

The last two years' decline is a direct result of Tannenbaum's alleged GM skills. The Jets replaced Tannenbaum, could've replaced the coach, but that decline was going to continue this year regardless. Unless, of course, Sanchez starts playing like a #5 overall, or Geno defies the odds. But Jet fans are braced for a rough year this year because the roster sucks.

And while Tannenbaum, in his incompetence, leaned way too heavily on Rex, the roster is the GM's job. If Idzik is a capable GM, he just needs a guy to coach for him. Rex's decided lack of GM savvy shouldn't be coming into play in his decision.

You don't think Rex should bear the blame for the state of the roster because he's not a GM, nor should he bear the blame for the offensive failings because he's not an OC. What's left?

Blaming Rex for the roster is like blaming your spoiled fat kid for his rotten teeth. Well, I asked him what he wanted, and all he wanted was candy, so... The GM is supposed to be the grownup in the room.

In the same way that hiring Tony Sparano and drafting Stephen Hill addressed the offense. Just keep throwing new faces at it, then hide in the film room studying tape of Jake Locker and Ryan Tannehill.

Hiring Sparano was a disaster. No one disputes this. I understand that they were trying to really simplify things for Sanchez, but it failed. Miserably. And Rex fired him after one year, and brought in a guy with over a dozen years experience as an OC or higher, from a well respected coaching tree. You live, you learn. I don't know if Mornhinweg is going to be the answer, either, but it's nice having a real offensive coordinator for the first time in a long time.

And are you blaming Rex for Stephen Hill now?

Blaming Rex for the roster is like blaming your spoiled fat kid for his rotten teeth. Well, I asked him what he wanted, and all he wanted was candy, so... The GM is supposed to be the grownup in the room.

Hiring Sparano was a disaster. No one disputes this. I understand that they were trying to really simplify things for Sanchez, but it failed. Miserably. And Rex fired him after one year, and brought in a guy with over a dozen years experience as an OC or higher, from a well respected coaching tree. You live, you learn. I don't know if Mornhinweg is going to be the answer, either, but it's nice having a real offensive coordinator for the first time in a long time.

And are you blaming Rex for Stephen Hill now?

I won't argue with you that the Jets organizational structure under Tannenbaum was horrendous, and allowed for Mangini and, now, Rex to hang themselves. But, that doesn't exonerate Rex either. It looks like, with the hiring of Idzik and Rod Graves, Idzik is setting up the front office to be more autonomous and less reliant on the Head Coach Du Jour to dictate the path of the franchise, which is how it should be. The next coach will benefit greatly from that, assuming Idzik is any good at his job.

As to the second point, Gato quoted something I had discussed with JiF, which was the wisdom behind Rex divesting himself of the offense in order to focus entirely on the defense. Gato cited the hiring of Mornhinweg and the drafting of Geno as being symptomatic of Rex's attitude change toward the offensive side of the ball. I merely pointed out that they did the same thing last year.

Blaming Rex for the roster is like blaming your spoiled fat kid for his rotten teeth. Well, I asked him what he wanted, and all he wanted was candy, so...  

Yeah, but did the spoiled rotten kid brush his teeth, floss and provide maintenance?

That what we accuse Rex of being devoid of-maintenance of the squad that he is in charge of. 

I won't argue with you that the Jets organizational structure under Tannenbaum was horrendous, and allowed for Mangini and, now, Rex to hang themselves. But, that doesn't exonerate Rex either. It looks like, with the hiring of Idzik and Rod Graves, Idzik is setting up the front office to be more autonomous and less reliant on the Head Coach Du Jour to dictate the path of the franchise, which is how it should be. The next coach will benefit greatly from that, assuming Idzik is any good at his job.

This coach could potentially benefit from that, too. ;) If Idzik and Mornhinweg are good hires, Rex could be a good fit.

Pete Carroll is now being described as a good head coach after he learned something from being fired twice in three years as an NFL head coach. Rex has probably learned something in four years as an NFL head coach - even without getting fired. If Rex can be as fortunate with Geno as Pete is with Wilson, I don't think there will be too many valid complaints about Rex left.

The big problem on the Jets is the QB. The complaint is that Rex was too loyal to Sanchez, the reality is that he's had no other option. That's not the problem this year. I don't think anyone expects Rex to be loyal to Mark. In fact, I think the concern is that he might rush Geno.

IAs to the second point, Gato quoted something I had discussed with JiF, which was the wisdom behind Rex divesting himself of the offense in order to focus entirely on the defense. Gato cited the hiring of Mornhinweg and the drafting of Geno as being symptomatic of Rex's attitude change toward the offensive side of the ball. I merely pointed out that they did the same thing last year.

We don't know how long Rex wanted Schottenheimer gone. We do know that Tanny/Woody saw him as a potential head coach. That was probably a problem.

This year, Rex has his back against the wall. I don't dispute the fact that the guy is coaching for his life. So the complaint that he doesn't do enough on offense isn't -and probably shouldn't- be addressed this year. Hiring a qualified OC and selecting the top QB prospect in the draft is a decent start over there, and Rex needs to have people on that side of the ball that he can delegate to. The way Andy Reid let Jim Johnson handle his defense. After four years, maybe he has that hire in place. Finally.

On defense, he's got a rookie DC, and so he should be spending more time with the defense. That's his area of expertise. What does Gary Kubiak do with the Texans' defense? He throws coaches and money at it until its fixed. The Jets don't have money, but at least they're throwing coaches and a couple draft picks at it.

Yeah, but did the spoiled rotten kid brush his teeth, floss and provide maintenance?

That what we accuse Rex of being devoid of-maintenance of the squad that he is in charge of. 

Rex has a career winning record with Mark Sanchez at QB. A 4-2 playoff record with Brian Schottenheimer running his offense. I think he's done a pretty good job given his circumstances. Vince Lombardi couldn't keep a locker room focused if Mark Sanchez was his only option at QB.

That's not ground breaking news that makes Pete Carroll some type of genius. Plus, he was wrong, Mark went 5th overall.  I dont think another season in college makes him any higher of a pick or makes him any more money.  He'd still have been the 2nd QB taken after Sam Bradford, no different than being taken after Matt Stafford. 

Rex has a career winning record with Mark Sanchez at QB. A 4-2 playoff record with Brian Schottenheimer running his offense. I think he's done a pretty good job given his circumstances. Vince Lombardi couldn't keep a locker room focused if Mark Sanchez was his only option at QB.

Great coaches coach the players that they have and make do. They do not need others making built in excuses for them.

Rex hasn't exactly helped accelerate the career of Mark Sanchez sither. He may very well be a part of the problem. Rex actually did better when the OC was thrust upon him, than when he was allowed to go out and get his own, so I don't buy that excuse either.

The hypothetical situations that the Rex lackeys project (Super Bowl wins with any other QB's, shang-ra-la locker rooms) are quite embarrassing in their lack of substance. They seem to want to pint out that Rex can only fully succeed if he is spoon fed.

Great coaches coach the players that they have and make do. They do not need others making built in excuses for them.

Rex hasn't exactly helped accelerate the career of Mark Sanchez sither. He may very well be a part of the problem. Rex actually did better when the OC was thrust upon him, than when he was allowed to go out and get his own, so I don't buy that excuse either.

The hypothetical situations that the Rex lackeys project (Super Bowl wins with any other QB's, shang-ra-la locker rooms) are quite embarrassing in their lack of substance. They seem to want to pint out that Rex can only fully succeed if he is spoon fed.

Yeah? Who are these great coaches? Is that Bill Belichick making do for the last eight years with Tom Brady? Or Mike Shanahan making do without John Elway?

You can't criticize hypotheticals when you're tossing around world class BS like that.

And I think Rex has made do given the quality of his QB, GM, and offensive coaches over the previous four years. He has a career winning record with Mark Sanchez at QB, a 4-2 record in the playoffs.

That's a double edged sword.

Its just as probable Sanchez's stock takes a hit if he decided to stay another year, ala Barkley. As we now know, the kid has some serious flaws in his game.

Exactly and he just saw it happen to Leinart.  

Carroll was dead wrong.  Besides, it was all selfish anyway.  He knew that no Sanchez forced him to start a true freshman in Barkley.

Archived