Rex Ryan reaffirms that he's a Heckuvafootballcoachdefensively and doesn't care what anyone says

T0mShane

Rex Ryan defensive, defiant entering make-or-break season

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/rex-ryan-defensive-defiant-entering-make-or-break-season-1.5479737

Published: June 13, 2013 9:32 PM

By KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN kimberley.martin@newsday.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Rex Ryan doesn't care what you think of him.

He knows he's made mistakes. And the Jets' coach has paid for them the past two seasons. But the defiant Ryan expects to have the last laugh.

"I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for," Ryan said in a sit-down interview with Newsday, minutes after the team concluded its final mandatory minicamp practice Thursday afternoon.

"I don't care," he added with a smile. "I don't need the credit. But I can tell you one thing, when it's said and done, they'll look back and say, 'Oh man, this dude can coach his butt off.' And you know what? It's true. And I'll let the people that know best talk on my behalf about the kind of coach I am.

"I don't have to brag, even though statistically, I can brag about anything I've ever done defensively."

Now, he just needs to figure out how to get his team back on track.

Ryan repeatedly has said he's going back to basics in Year 5 -- taking a hands-on approach again with the defense. But this time, Ryan said he has the benefit of experience.

"I know what works for me," he said.

Last season, he made a conscious effort to be more involved with the offense, even sitting in on meetings with former coordinator Tony Sparano. But although his presence was being felt behind closed doors, Ryan said his message may have been getting lost in translation.

"Maybe I let someone else drive the message instead of me," he said. "And I think the first year, it was clear who was driving the message. It was me.

" . . . But one thing I learn for sure every year is that I can have a presence on this entire football team even if I'm primarily on one side of the ball. We lost a little of my mentality when I was sitting in the wrong room."

In 2009, Ryan led the Jets and rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship Game. Against all odds, he achieved the same feat a year later.

"We were loaded," Ryan said, rattling off the names of former players Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Shonn Greene, Damien Woody and Alan Faneca.

But since then, "Play Like A Jet" has come to mean something entirely different, thanks to 8-8 and 6-10 finishes the past two seasons and Sanchez's infamous butt fumble against the Patriots in prime time.

"I'll never be able to erase that year," Ryan said, referring to 2012. "But I can learn from it. That unfortunately is going to be with me. It drives you to the point where you say, 'Look, I've learned.'

"And some way that might work for every other coach in the league -- 99 percent of them -- it doesn't work for me. I know what works for me now. How it will affect our team, result-wise, win-wise, all that stuff, we'll find out. But I'm certainly confident that I can help this team more in the capacity that I'm going to lead."

Ryan has vowed to stay clear of the offensive meeting room ("I will not be in there," he repeated). But he won't hesitate to interject his opinions of new coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's offense.

"Don't think for a second that I don't know what we're doing," Ryan said. " . . . Marty knows what I want. We're on the same page."

That's good to know, considering all eyes will be on Mornhinweg's West Coast offense. The Jets have yet to decide who will run it -- Sanchez or rookie Geno Smith -- and there still are questions about the health of their receivers. After the offense finished 30th overall under Sparano last season, Ryan knows it must improve dramatically.

While discussing the Jets' struggles in recent seasons, Ryan bristled at the assumption he was hopelessly devoted to the ground-and-pound game.

"When you really look at it, ground and pound was one year," he said. "That was what it was. It was the first year. But we talked about it forever, but that's not the case."

Ryan said at the time of Sparano's hiring in January 2012 that they were "definitely like-minded people, like-minded coaches, and we believe in running the football and protecting the quarterback." Yet Ryan insisted the Jets' offensive game plan has been far more balanced over the years.

"I want to run the football. Of course," he said. "But that worked for us [my first season]. The next year, it wasn't even close to that. It wasn't even close. Just like on defense, we'll be multiple and we'll play to our talent. We focus on what our players can do. But I was saddled with that [ground-and-pound label]."

But with Mornhinweg's system, which emphasizes taking shots downfield, Ryan said there's no doubt about what the Jets will do this season.

"We're going to attack you," he said. "Whatever that means, people will find out."

So 2013 is a new slate, not only for the offense, but also for Ryan. Armed with knowledge from the past four seasons, he's determined to get his team back on track. His way. On his terms. Just like in Year 1.

"I've never been just a defensive coordinator since the day I came here," he said. "No, this was my football team and it was going to play to my personality. And that's exactly what it did.

"But even defensively, that fell off a little. And when I look at those tapes, I'm not proud of what's there. I am not proud of that whatsoever. So when I look at that, I'm like, 'Oh, it's not happening again.' I don't know what our record will be, but you're not going to want to play us."

And he has no doubt Jets fans will look back fondly on the Rex Ryan Era when all is said and done.

"They'll say, 'He's a hell of a football coach, and you know what? He had more passion than anybody who's ever coached here before.'

Eventually that's what's going to be said about me," Ryan said.

"And hopefully it's not for another 15 years."

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Summary: "I can brag about anything we've done defensively, the 2009 team was loaded (thanks, Eric), it's not loaded now because I dunno why, I've learned a lot, and I'm not going to have anything to do with the offense but I hope they run the ball a lot I dunno though it's out of my control, and we were only ground and pound for one year but we weren't ground and pound last year even though I said we were ground and pound so I dunno how that label got put on us.. Also, I have passion."

Over the last four years, you can count on two absolutes: "Reality TV" will create another contest-driven show and Rex Ryan will proclaim that he's learned from the previous year's problems, making the necessary corrections for the coming season.  Good Lord, why didn't Woody show this sap the door after last season's debacle?  Now, we waste another year watching this former whale implode.

I still prefer"you take a swing at one of ours, and we'll throw you 4 INTs and stop playing defense on your last drive of the game."

It's sad because at the time I use to root for the guy like he was Rocky. The year with the Hard Knocks I could be not more excited about Rex and the future of the Jets. Now it's getting to the point were he starting to feel like that alcoholic Uncle that starts talking about the glory days that never happen after his 9th beer.

How can you read this article and not be ecstatic about Rex Ryan?  The guy is just an awesome coach and he's turning the corner right before our very eyes.  I'm so friggin excited to see what this guy does with this Football team over the next decade.

That bold, you gotta love it.  Sure, he's got his bravado and isnt afraid to claim his brilliance as a defensive genius but he's also not completely oblivious to the fact that his defense has fallen off a little bit over the years.

Thanks for posting Tom.  This is the best article I've read all offseason.  I'm so pumped for this season.  Even if we arent great, Rex is going to right this ship and we will all be celebrating when he does!!!

Go Jets!

It's sad because at the time I use to root for the guy like he was Rocky. The year with the Hard Knocks I could be not more excited about Rex and the future of the Jets. Now it's getting to the point were he starting to feel like that alcoholic Uncle that starts talking about the glory days that never happen after his 9th beer.

Agreed. 100%

Yes because being passionate about your craft is a terrible characteristic. 

Passion is great. Fans should all be passionate. Coaches should be passionate too, but it's not one of the fundamental characteristics that define a great coach, and it's certainly not the ONLY characteristic a coach should be known for.

Passion absent of expertise, tact or capability as a coach, makes Rex a fan with a dream job. Nothing more. 

Wait, was this an interview with the media?  A job interview?  Or, a eulogy?  I honestly can't tell.

Truth. He's talking like his best years are behind him, and he's already out to pasture. 

Kind of horrifying.

Agreed. 100%

Passion is great. Fans should all be passionate. Coaches should be passionate too, but it's not one of the fundamental characteristics that define a great coach, and it's certainly not the ONLY characteristic a coach should be known for.

Passion absent of expertise, tact or capability as a coach, makes Rex a fan with a dream job. Nothing more. 

Yeah except Rex isnt absent of expertise, tact or capability.  He's proven all those things and he's very passionate about his job and his team.  That's a good thing.  

Yeah except Rex isnt absent of expertise, tact or capability.  He's proven all those things and he's very passionate about his job and his team.  That's a good thing.  

He's proven expertise as a defensive coordinator. The conversation everyone around you is having, much to your complete ignorance on the matter, is about the head coaching role, and his expertise, tact and capability to perform that job.

Just being "passionate" and calling it "my team" but never actually ascending to do the job, makes him sound and result like a fan in a dream job.

Rex is the flabby embodiment of the Peter Principle in the NFL. I don't doubt for one second his ability as a defensive coordinator, but he's been over-promoted and it's obvious. This is why he wasn't hired anywhere else.

He's proven expertise as a defensive coordinator. The conversation everyone around you is having, much to your complete ignorance on the matter, is about the head coaching role, and his expertise, tact and capability to perform that job.

Just being "passionate" and calling it "my team" but never actually ascending to do the job, makes him sound and result like a fan in a dream job.

Rex is the flabby embodiment of the Peter Principle in the NFL. I don't doubt for one second his ability as a defensive coordinator, but he's been over-promoted and it's obvious. This is why he wasn't hired anywhere else.

Whats obvious?  His winning record?  His playoff record?  The fact he can still win with the worst QB in the league?  lol

The guys a great HC.  Jets fans are just too stupid to recognize it. 

Whats obvious?  His winning record?  His playoff record?  The fact he can still win with the worst QB in the league?  lol

Were you watching the offense the last two seasons? Rex sure wasn't.

You also can't use the argument that rex had a terrible QB when HE was the guy who wanted to draft Sanchez and HE was the guy who refused to bench him for 4 years. 

Under Rex's tenure, the Jets went from being capable of 9-10 wins per year, to 4-6. They went from being taken seriously, to being considered a joke on the level of the Jaguars and Raiders. 

You can't blame the QB exclusively for the losses, and then spin it as Rex would win without him or does win in spite of him, when Rex was the one that chose him and insist on playing him above all. You also can't put every loss on Sanchez, because there have been plenty of times that the offense has done just enough, and it's Rex's vaunted defense that lays down in the 4th quarter when the win is on the line.

Part of the job of a head coach is to bench the players that are causing the losses, not hide behind those players as a scapegoat to extend your run as HC.

This is my favorite part of this whole thing right here...

"I don't care," he added with a smile. "I don't need the credit. But I can tell you one thing, when it's said and done, they'll look back and say, 'Oh man, this dude can coach his butt off.' And you know what? It's true. And I'll let the people that know best talk on my behalf about the kind of coach I am.

"I don't have to brag, even though statistically, I can brag about anything I've ever done defensively."

Yeah, okay Rex.

"Brag, braggiddy brag brag, boast braggle braggle, brag.... I don't have to brag, I'll let others talk on my beha... BRAG, brag-brag brag, feet, braggadocios brag-a-lag-a-ding-dong..."

A few thoughts on Rex:

• He is a hell of a coach
  • We are lucky to have him
  • Now that they are actually headed in the right direction talent wise, the results are going to be better
  • Playoffs this year.....

A few thoughts on Rex:

• Now that they are actually headed in the right direction talent wise, the results are going to be better

Please send me a case of the Mezcal, worms included, that you're drinking. 

EDIT:  Oops, forgot the smilie face.

How can you read this article and not be ecstatic about Rex Ryan? The guy is just an awesome coach and he's turning the corner right before our very eyes. I'm so friggin excited to see what this guy does with this Football team over the next decade.

That bold, you gotta love it. Sure, he's got his bravado and isnt afraid to claim his brilliance as a defensive genius but he's also not completely oblivious to the fact that his defense has fallen off a little bit over the years.

Thanks for posting Tom. This is the best article I've read all offseason. I'm so pumped for this season. Even if we arent great, Rex is going to right this ship and we will all be celebrating when he does!!!

Go Jets!

Nobody believes you.

Other football coaches in the NFL fear Rex Ryan like no other defensive mind in the league.And that goes for the elite QB also--just ask Payton Manning and Tom Brady in the playoffs 2 yrs ago. Even when Rex has marginal players he can coach them up to a top 5 defense. The last few years its been hard to overcome a QB who is a turnover machine, even then the Jets D finished in the top 10 and with it's best player (Revis) hurt. However, Rex has to realize his words are radioactive right now and everything he says is scrutinized , analyzed and dissected and that's even done by some of the Jets own fans who cant figure out the media is there to ponce on anything Rex says just to fill time in a 24 hour news cycle with only10 mins of real sport news. And this goes for most sport figures in today's world---just ask LeBron James--one day he's king of the basketball world, best ever- and  the next game they lose he's a bum--when he had the big deal media event to bring "his talents to South Beach" he was crucified till he won a championship last year. So to get to my point--yes Rex is a great defensive coach but he needs to learn the nuances of the diplomacy of being a Head coach in the NFL and watch what he says--at least till he wins a Superbowl.

A few thoughts on Rex:

A few thoughts on Rex:

I totally agree--you have a critical mind of your own fellow Jet fan.

Were you watching the offense the last two seasons? Rex sure wasn't.

You also can't use the argument that rex had a terrible QB when HE was the guy who wanted to draft Sanchez and HE was the guy who refused to bench him for 4 years. 

I can use any argument I want, just like you can.  Besides, Its not like he had a lot of options.  I'd like to see another HC win with Sanchez as his QB. lulza  And when you draft a QB 5th overall and he goes on to win 4 road playoff games in his first 2 seasons...maybe, just maybe, you give him a shot to become that QB.  Typically it takes about 3-4 years, and it hasnt happened so guess what?  They drafted a QB.  Smith, Geno.  

Under Rex's tenure, the Jets went from being capable of 9-10 wins per year, to 4-6. They went from being taken seriously, to being considered a joke on the level of the Jaguars and Raiders. 

You can't blame the QB exclusively for the losses, and then spin it as Rex would win without him or does win in spite of him, when Rex was the one that chose him and insist on playing him above all. You also can't put every loss on Sanchez, because there have been plenty of times that the offense has done just enough, and it's Rex's vaunted defense that lays down in the 4th quarter when the win is on the line.

Part of the job of a head coach is to bench the players that are causing the losses, not hide behind those players as a scapegoat to extend your run as HC.

1 losing season, that was riddled with injuries and the worst QB performance I've ever seen but somehow he still had the team in playoff contention.  You're acting like this happens every year under him.  It hasnt.  See my comment above for the other stuff you're spewing.

Trivia time: in the last 4 seasons, who has more playoff victories, Bill Belichick or Rex Ryan? 

A few thoughts on Rex:

Not sure about your last bullet, but the rest is spot on.

Archived