Rex Ryan reaffirms that he's a Heckuvafootballcoachdefensively and doesn't care what anyone says

T0mShane

Yeah? Who are these great coaches? Is that Bill Belichick making do for the last eight years with Tom Brady? Or Mike Shanahan making do without John Elway?

You can't criticize hypotheticals when you're tossing around world class BS like that.

And I think Rex has made do given the quality of his QB, GM, and offensive coaches over the previous four years. He has a career winning record with Mark Sanchez at QB, a 4-2 record in the playoffs.

One coach in the NFL has more road playoffs wins than Rex over the last 4 years, John Harbaugh.  Ironically, he's only 1 of 3 coaches in the entire NFL who has more playoff wins than Rex all together during that time frame (McCarthy and Tomlin are the other 2).

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rex haters talk about great coaches and it's probably true that Rex isn't great. He's above average or good. (great at defense, obviously).

but what you guys are missing is that no one great actually wants this job.  Great coaches aren't dummies they don't want to take a job in a media snake pit with no franchise QB. 

rex is the best HC this team has had since Parcells. And Bill ain't coming back.

rex haters talk about great coaches and it's probably true that Rex isn't great. He's above average or good. (great at defense, obviously).

but what you guys are missing is that no one great actually wants this job. Great coaches aren't dummies they don't want to take a job in a media snake pit with no franchise QB.

rex is the best HC this team has had since Parcells. And Bill ain't coming back.

When you stop and think about it, nothing is ever anyone's fault, really.

One coach in the NFL has more road playoffs wins than Rex over the last 4 years, John Harbaugh.  Ironically, he's only 1 of 3 coaches in the entire NFL who has more playoff wins than Rex all together during that time frame (McCarthy and Tomlin are the other 2).

--Ozzie'd

The Jets were a team on the rise?

Mangini went 4-12, the Jets bought Brett Favre and they went 8-3, Brett Favre got hurt and they finished 1-4. That's the team Rex took over. Having a couple OL and/or Mangini boyscouts hardly constitutes a team on the rise.

Or are you including Rex's first two years them being a team on the rise? Because they weren't on the rise then, either. They were on the back end of Tannenbaum's shopping sprees with a young QB who played better his first two years than he did he next two. After Rex's second year, the front office was focused on trying to keep the core together and and trying to buy a couple final pieces to get over the hump. Tannenbaum was more focused on resigning Brick, Mangold, Harris, and Revis as virtually any cost than he was focused on building a roster intelligently. Harris never should've been resigned. Mangold on his rookie deal was awesome, Mangold as the highest paid center in football - not quite as awesome.

The result was a roster that was always top heavy under Bradway & Tannenbaum becoming ridiculously top heavy. The team had no depth. No middle class talent. Just a handful of very expensive players, a few high risk signings, and a lot of cheap guys.

The last two years' decline is a direct result of Tannenbaum's alleged GM skills. The Jets replaced Tannenbaum, could've replaced the coach, but that decline was going to continue this year regardless. Unless, of course, Sanchez starts playing like a #5 overall, or Geno defies the odds. But Jet fans are braced for a rough year this year because the roster sucks.

And while Tannenbaum, in his incompetence, leaned way too heavily on Rex, the roster is the GM's job. If Idzik is a capable GM, he just needs a guy to coach for him. Rex's decided lack of GM savvy shouldn't be coming into play in his decision.

Not totally, but to some extent yes, I believe a foundation of sorts was being laid.  We're talking degrees or shades of gray, not black and white, night and day kind of difference.  I hardly need to remind you of the Jets' history prior to Tuna.  Tuna then brought a few years of exciting, good play, but didn't build a foundation, and didn't build for the future, instead bringing in a lot of older, over-the-hill, "hold the fort" types.  As was typical for him, he built only for himself for short term success knowing he wasn't going to be around.  He did a pretty abysmal job shopping for the "groceries."  He then abandoned the team and left it in the hands of Bradway and Groh. Then Herm the clueless cliche machine was hired.  Then Tanny and Mangini.  It would have been almost impossible for anyone not to have had the team on the rise following the reign of error of Bradway/Edwards.

While overall the duo of Tanny and Mangini was pretty much a dismal failure and the team's W-L record up and down, they did accomplish some positives.  The team started playing disciplined football, didn't beat itself with TOs or stupid penalties.  Perhaps under his urging, some high character, veteran team leaders were brought in (such as Thomas Jones), and some very good talent was added to the team in the first round.  Tanny seemed to be building the team through the draft as he proclaimed when hired.  Players were held accountable (too much so as it turns out, but normally that isn't a bad thing.) In fact, perhaps if Mangini hadn't been such an anal retentive control freak, oppressive and such a micro manager, perhaps he would have had greater success and wouldn't have lost the team. For that matter, who knows what might have happened if Chad wasn't always injured or if Bradway/Tanny/Mangini had found a solid backup QB for Chad?  I think it's safe to say that with better QB play from having Chad or a better backup than the losers they had, their W-L record would have been a lot better.  We all know that as with the Giants, winning cures a lot of player's gripes with too strict a HC.   

If memory serves me correctly, Mangini didn't want Favre.  It was Woody Johnson and perhaps Tanny, who wanted Favre for the big splash and to seel PSLs.  Favre led the team early in 2008, but his injury and refusal to come off the field eventually led to the Jets' late season collapse which resulted in Mangini getting fired.  Jeff Garcia would have been a better veteran QB to bring in.  With solid, consistent quality play from Garcia, perhaps Mangini wouldn't have lost the team or been fired, and perhaps Tanny wouldn't have gone all in, overpaid players like Harris, Scott, re-negotiated contracts resulting in their getting stuck with Pace and Thomas.  Perhaps they wouldn't have traded up for Sanchez the next year and instead have taken Jeremy Maclin or Josh Freeman or traded up for Brian Orakpo or BJ Raji. Even if Mangini was fired and Rex hired, Garcia could have been the starter in Rex's rookie season as HC, which would have allowed Sanchez, Freeman or whoever the backup was to sit and learn for a year or two.  It would have given them more time to find their QB of the future and given them better play at QB.  Neither Sanchez nor Freeman may still have never developed into a quality starter, but their chances would have been a lot better if they weren't forced to start their rookie seasons.  Who knows what would have happened with Garcia as the Jets starting QB in 2009 and 2010?  Perhaps they would have won back-to-back SBs.

They laid the foundation for Rex then to come in and with the bump that teams always get when they switch from too strict a disciplinarian to a players' coach, he was able to enjoy immediate success and the team overachieved of course part of that over-achievement was a result of Tanny bringing in older, more expensive veterans rather than building slowly through the draft.

We all know (at least those of us who aren't in denial) the mistakes that Tanny and perhaps Rex made.  Until incontrovertible proof comes forward to the contrary, I will always think that if Tanny had been wiser and Rex more patient (and we should quite possibly include Woody Johnson as well), the team could be peaking right now.  Instead of bringing in all the older, more expensive FAs; instead of all the trade-ups in the draft; instead of overestimating the abilities of some of the Jets' players; instead of all the brash predictions and circus atmosphere; instead of all the too big contracts, contract re-negotiations which resulted in higher cap hits and guaranteed contracts which made it impossible for the team to get rid of certain players; instead of going all in immediately; if they had taken a more patient (and perhaps quiet and humble approach), perhaps the Jets would have already had their QB of the future and his name wouldn't have been Sanchez, and perhaps they would have already had a dominant pass rusher and be in a position to win a Lombardi Trophy. 

I don't think that it's any coincidence that Tanny's best drafts were mostly in his first few years with the Jets when Mangini was HC.  They took a somewhat more patient approach and didn't go "all in" as they did almost the minute Rex arrived as HC.  To be sure, they made some mistakes with personnel (paying so much to and signing Calvin Pace for one, Gholston and the boar hunter), but they did a MUCH better job than Bradway and Herm did in terms of talent and at least beginning to lay a foundation for the team, and they didn't need to bring in a coach to watch the game clock.

"The facts are so strong against this decision(of Mark Sanchez to come out early). After analyzing all the information, the truth is there—he should’ve stayed for another year. Mark’s chance to increase his value and become the top player in college football next year would have been worth $10-$20 million or more—likely more. One more year of running a team is almost priceless, so he lost the chance to fully prepare himself and become the very best he could be before going to the NFL. That’s why there’s a 62 percent failure rate for underclassmen quarterbacks." -USC Head Coach Pete Carroll 1/26/2009

Yep.  Ourlads or Football's Future used to have an article on their website detailing the abysmal failure rate of underclassmen QBs in the NFL.  Very few have made it even as quality starters, much less become topflight QBs.  That's one of the reasons I was SO against the Jets even drafting Sanchez, much less trading up for him.

When you stop and think about it, nothing is ever anyone's fault, really.

Assigning fault is like seeking revenge. It drives you but when you get there it's empty. Assigning blame on the offense to Sparano or Mark or Tebow doesn't actually fix the offense.  The question I have is if Rex is fired will the next guy be better? it's not a rhetorical question. We all wanted Schotty fired and the next guy wasn't better. the Jets have been firing people for 40 years without results. 

This coach could potentially benefit from that, too. ;) If Idzik and Mornhinweg are good hires, Rex could be a good fit.

Pete Carroll is now being described as a good head coach after he learned something from being fired twice in three years as an NFL head coach. Rex has probably learned something in four years as an NFL head coach - even without getting fired. If Rex can be as fortunate with Geno as Pete is with Wilson, I don't think there will be too many valid complaints about Rex left.

The big problem on the Jets is the QB. The complaint is that Rex was too loyal to Sanchez, the reality is that he's had no other option. That's not the problem this year. I don't think anyone expects Rex to be loyal to Mark. In fact, I think the concern is that he might rush Geno.

We don't know how long Rex wanted Schottenheimer gone. We do know that Tanny/Woody saw him as a potential head coach. That was probably a problem.

This year, Rex has his back against the wall. I don't dispute the fact that the guy is coaching for his life. So the complaint that he doesn't do enough on offense isn't -and probably shouldn't- be addressed this year. Hiring a qualified OC and selecting the top QB prospect in the draft is a decent start over there, and Rex needs to have people on that side of the ball that he can delegate to. The way Andy Reid let Jim Johnson handle his defense. After four years, maybe he has that hire in place. Finally.

On defense, he's got a rookie DC, and so he should be spending more time with the defense. That's his area of expertise. What does Gary Kubiak do with the Texans' defense? He throws coaches and money at it until its fixed. The Jets don't have money, but at least they're throwing coaches and a couple draft picks at it.

I think we'll get a pretty good indication this year of exactly how much Rex has or has not learned over the last 4 years.

As for there still being valid complaints if Rex is lucky with Geno, that will depend if Rex reverts to the brash predictions.  That will depend if he holds the players accountable and benches those who aren't playing well.  That will depend if he continues to say and do stupid things. It will also depend to some extent if Idzik does his job well and saves Rex from himself.

QB is one of the Jets' big problems.  I would add the lack of a consistent pass rush, the lack of playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, the big question mark at Safety, the question marks on the OL, and depth.  If Idzik and the Scouting Dept. did a good job with the draft and offseason acquisitions, then the OL and depth issues should be resolved.   If Coples is able to be a force as a pass-rushing OLB, Ellis steps up and Richardson is the real deal, then the pass rush issue should be resolved.  That still leaves the QB, Safety and offensive playmakers (at least WR and TE) in question.

Why did the Jets have no other option at QB?  Rex has been around football long enough to know that QBs get injured and every team needs a solid backup.  Was he content to go with Brunell, Tebow and/or McElroy as his backups or did he push and pressure Tanny to acquire better backups and Tanny ignore him?  Whether Rex can be blamed for sticking with Sanchez for so long, depends by and large upon how the previous question is answered, but even without knowing the answer, once could fault him for at least not giving Tebow more playing time  When Mark continued to play so abysmally game after game last year, he could have, and I think should have tried anything to give the team a spark.

True, we don't know how long Rex wanted Schotty gone or if he ever wanted him.  If he never wanted Schotty and Schotty was forced upon him, then Rex earns some of my respect back.  The thing is, however, that Rex shot his mouth off about everything else under the sun.  If he wasn't happy with Schotty and wanted to get rid of him, and if Tanny and Woody refused to do anything, why didn't he publicly complain about that?  Also, why didn't he fire Matt Cavanaugh when it seemed to be pretty obvious that he wasn't helping Sanchez very much.  This is even more puzzling after Steve Young and other former QBs publicly talked about Sanchez's fundamental technique issues and how he wasn't receiving the right or good coaching.  When QB is THE most important position on your football team, when a QBs play can make or break a HC, when your rookie QB continues to struggle and actually gets worse instead of better, why didn't Rex seek out respected offensive minds either for advice or to hire?

With the hiring of Mornhinweg and Lee and the drafting of Smith, I think the Jets QB problem will at a minimum improve, and perhaps be resolved.  I don't know if they can do anything to make Sanchez better.  He may be a lost cause and may have always been a lost cause.  Based on what I've read and seen around the NFL, I think Sir Morty and Lee are two of the better developers of QBs in the NFL.  In order to completely fix the QB issue, they may need to draft another QB within a year or two, but they've made an excellent start.  While I believe that new HCs should have complete autonomy over their coaching staffs, I would hope that if Rex is fired that the new HC would retain Sir Morty and Lee unless he can hire Bruce Arians, the GB or SF QB coach, or someone equally as good.

That's not ground breaking news that makes Pete Carroll some type of genius. Plus, he was wrong, Mark went 5th overall.  I dont think another season in college makes him any higher of a pick or makes him any more money.  He'd still have been the 2nd QB taken after Sam Bradford, no different than being taken after Matt Stafford. 

Carroll was not wrong.  You totally missed the point.  The point wasn't just about money or where he was drafted, although he could have been drafted #2 the following year instead of #5 and would have gotten more money or he could have had a mediocre Senior season and dropped. The point was the abysmal failure rate of underclassmen QBs and that Sanchez was NOT ready for the NFL.

Actually, I don't think you missed the point, just chose to ignore it and focus on the other because it meshes with your bashing Carroll agenda.  You're a hater.   :winking0001:

This coach could potentially benefit from that, too. ;) If Idzik and Mornhinweg are good hires, Rex could be a good fit.

Pete Carroll is now being described as a good head coach after he learned something from being fired twice in three years as an NFL head coach. Rex has probably learned something in four years as an NFL head coach - even without getting fired. If Rex can be as fortunate with Geno as Pete is with Wilson, I don't think there will be too many valid complaints about Rex left.

The big problem on the Jets is the QB. The complaint is that Rex was too loyal to Sanchez, the reality is that he's had no other option. That's not the problem this year. I don't think anyone expects Rex to be loyal to Mark. In fact, I think the concern is that he might rush Geno.

As bad as Mark is, the team went from 11 wins to 8 wins to 6 wins to being the punch line of the league for more reasons than Mark Sanchez. He's an easy scapegoat, but he's not the entire reason for the decline. The whole team has gone backwards, from A to Z, and Rex shares in the blame for that. If he had no other option than Sanchez, that's his problem, unless we think that he's eminently powerless to the point that he couldn't get a halfway decent backup added to the roster.

Adding a great QB to any coach's program would improve the program, but there aren't too many great QBs going around, so you have to find or make a good QB. Joe Flacco isn't a great QB. Colin Kaepernick isn't a great QB. Neither of those teams conceded wins because they didn't have Joe Montana. Most teams have to make it work without Aaron Rodgers.

We don't know how long Rex wanted Schottenheimer gone. We do know that Tanny/Woody saw him as a potential head coach. That was probably a problem.

This year, Rex has his back against the wall. I don't dispute the fact that the guy is coaching for his life. So the complaint that he doesn't do enough on offense isn't -and probably shouldn't- be addressed this year. Hiring a qualified OC and selecting the top QB prospect in the draft is a decent start over there, and Rex needs to have people on that side of the ball that he can delegate to. The way Andy Reid let Jim Johnson handle his defense. After four years, maybe he has that hire in place. Finally.

On defense, he's got a rookie DC, and so he should be spending more time with the defense. That's his area of expertise. What does Gary Kubiak do with the Texans' defense? He throws coaches and money at it until its fixed. The Jets don't have money, but at least they're throwing coaches and a couple draft picks at it.

Rex is delegating authority to Mornhinweg in the same fashion that rats delegate authority on a sinking ship. I'm pretty sure everything in the OP interview made Idzik cringe. Look, Rex might go 8-8 and survive, and the onus will switch to Idzik, but it's unlikely even in the most optimistic scenarios.

but what you guys are missing is that no one great actually wants this job.  Great coaches aren't dummies they don't want to take a job in a media snake pit with no franchise QB. 

You dang skippy, because if he tried, I'd kneecap his fat ass.  I hate that bastid.

That's a double edged sword.

Its just as probable Sanchez's stock takes a hit if he decided to stay another year, ala Barkley. As we now know, the kid has some serious flaws in his game.

You're right it's possible that his draft stock could have dropped, but that shouldn't be ultimately what concerns college QBs the most, particularly now with the rookie salary cap, if they truly think they have what it takes to be a quality NFL starting QB.  Now if they know that they suck and are just trying to get one big contract, that's another matter entirely.  

Mark was drafted before the cap, but his major concern should have been his long-term, overall success in the NFL as a QB.  Coming out early and probably having to start for a bad team when he had so little experience and still had some basic fundamental issues was not a recipe for success in the NFL.  So he got a big initial contract from the Jets.  With a GM who had a clue what he was doing, Sanchez would never have gotten that second huge contract.  He'd either be out of the NFL or getting the vet minimum as a backup somewhere.  (For that matter with a better GM, Mark probably wouldn't have started his rookie or maybe even sophomore seasons, but would have been given a chance to sit and learn.  Either way, he probably wouldn't have gotten a big second contract.)

Meh, its easy to create an offense around a talented player.  The challenge is getting the something out of a sh*tty player like Jim Harbaugh and Alex Smith.  If Carroll was such a wiz, then why couldnt he create such an amazing offense the years before last?  Probably because Wilson is special player.  Kudos to them for finding him and having the balls to bench Flynn for him....but when you havent had a winning season in your career as a HC whats there to lose?

Im not disputing that Wilson was a very talented player. That said, put him in a traditional offense and I am not sure it takes advantage of his skills. I think they created an offensive system that was perfect for his skillset. That is not really on Carroll, but more on the OC whoever that is. All I am saying is I think Rex until now undervalued the need for a very good OC. Hiring Sparano was dumb, and I don't know if he was a good enough OC to actually develop anything for even a talented player like Wilson.

Carroll was not wrong.  You totally missed the point.  The point wasn't just about money or where he was drafted, although he could have been drafted #2 the following year instead of #5 and would have gotten more money or he could have had a mediocre Senior season and dropped. The point was the abysmal failure rate of underclassmen QBs and that Sanchez was NOT ready for the NFL.

Actually, I don't think you missed the point, just chose to ignore it and focus on the other because it meshes with your bashing Carroll agenda.  You're a hater.   :winking0001:

Carroll was wrong.  In that quote, he made 2 points. 1 was about money in which he was dead wrong.  The 2nd was about the failure rate in which I said, "isnt ground breaking news".  Every knows the gamble associated with taking an underclassmen and it was a huge sticking point around here with people who were dead set against drafting Sanchez (like yours truly).  Pete Carroll isnt some genius for pointing it out, yet the typical Rex haters were sucking his cock for being such a visionary.  

Carroll was wrong.  In that quote, he made 2 points. 1 was about money in which he was dead wrong.  The 2nd was about the failure rate in which I said, "isnt ground breaking news".  Every knows the gamble associated with taking an underclassmen and it was a huge sticking point around here with people who were dead set against drafting Sanchez (like yours truly).  Pete Carroll isnt some genius for pointing it out, yet the typical Rex haters were sucking his cock for being such a visionary.  

Please.  You're wrong.  Carroll was not wrong.  He's only wrong in your warped perception of things.  Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize it.  Just because what he said wasn't "ground breaking news" doesn't discount that he was right that Sanchez wasn't ready or that no NFL team should have taken him.  Again, no one said that Carroll was a genius for being right about that.  Your crass and stupid comment about Rex haters shows how biased and twisted your perception is.  

An eff the Gators.  LOL

Im not disputing that Wilson was a very talented player. That said, put him in a traditional offense and I am not sure it takes advantage of his skills. I think they created an offensive system that was perfect for his skillset. That is not really on Carroll, but more on the OC whoever that is. All I am saying is I think Rex until now undervalued the need for a very good OC. Hiring Sparano was dumb, and I don't know if he was a good enough OC to actually develop anything for even a talented player like Wilson.

Meh, its still about the player.  Why couldnt they make a perfect system built on Jackson's skill set?  Probably because he sucks.

And technically, Rex or Schotty, whoever you want to credit, did create a perfect system for Sanchez.  Hand the ball off.  lol.  The Jets were the #1 rushing and #2 rushing team in league Sanchez's first 2 seasons. 

Agreed that Sparano was a terrible hire.  I remember when it happened I was shocked but I tried to rationalize it with the less is more approach and looked at the year they were running the wild cat with Ronnie Brown as an example of his ability to get creative.  Interestingly enough, it was probably more David Lee, who is now the QB coach for the Jets.  Go figure.  Clearly I was dead wrong about Tony, hopefully Marty is the real deal.  

Please.  You're wrong.  Carroll was not wrong.  He's only wrong in your warped perception of things.  Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize it.  Just because what he said wasn't "ground breaking news" doesn't discount that he was right that Sanchez wasn't ready or that no NFL team should have taken him.  Again, no one said that Carroll was a genius for being right about that.  Your crass and stupid comment about Rex haters shows how biased and twisted your perception is.  

An eff the Gators.  LOL

WTF are you talking about?  That data was available to everyone, for years.  Pete Carroll wasnt the first person to drop that knowledge on the world.  Us stupid dumb **** arm chair QB's were saying the same sh*t about Sanchez.  You Rex haters ate up that quote as if he was saying some sh*t everyone didnt already know.  He was right about Sanchez and so were a sh*t ton of us.

And he was dead wrong about the money.  Mark was picked 5th overall, made a ton of cash.  He could have easily ****ed his career ala Barkley or Leinart before him.  You dont think he took that into consideration?  Carroll was dead wrong, period.  And what kind of coach tries to deter his player from taking the money while he can?  Do you see Saban doing that?  No, he encourages them to leave when their draft stock is high.  Carroll was a pussy ass selfish coward who knew his time was running out and he wanted one last shot with a senior as opposed to true freshman.  You're the one who needs to wake up.

Go Gators! and GFY

Yeah? Who are these great coaches? Is that Bill Belichick making do for the last eight years with Tom Brady? Or Mike Shanahan making do without John Elway?

You can't criticize hypotheticals when you're tossing around world class BS like that.

And I think Rex has made do given the quality of his QB, GM, and offensive coaches over the previous four years. He has a career winning record with Mark Sanchez at QB, a 4-2 record in the playoffs.

Always the excuses for Rex. Lets continue the spoon feeding. he will win when we get the personnel and front office perfect. Can't wait.

WTF are you talking about? That data was available to everyone, for years. Pete Carroll wasnt the first person to drop that knowledge on the world. Us stupid dumb **** arm chair QB's were saying the same sh*t about Sanchez. You Rex haters ate up that quote as if he was saying some sh*t everyone didnt already know. He was right about Sanchez and so were a sh*t ton of us.

And he was dead wrong about the money. Mark was picked 5th overall, made a ton of cash. He could have easily ****ed his career ala Barkley or Leinart before him. You dont think he took that into consideration? Carroll was dead wrong, period. And what kind of coach tries to deter his player from taking the money while he can? Do you see Saban doing that? No, he encourages them to leave when their draft stock is high. Carroll was a pussy ass selfish coward who knew his time was running out and he wanted one last shot with a senior as opposed to true freshman. You're the one who needs to wake up.

Go Gators! and GFY

Carroll was finding a diplomatic way to say that Mark was immature and couldn't handle adversity. He was right as rain.

Meh, its still about the player.  Why couldnt they make a perfect system built on Jackson's skill set?  Probably because he sucks.

And technically, Rex or Schotty, whoever you want to credit, did create a perfect system for Sanchez.  Hand the ball off.  lol.  The Jets were the #1 rushing and #2 rushing team in league Sanchez's first 2 seasons. 

Agreed that Sparano was a terrible hire.  I remember when it happened I was shocked but I tried to rationalize it with the less is more approach and looked at the year they were running the wild cat with Ronnie Brown as an example of his ability to get creative.  Interestingly enough, it was probably more David Lee, who is now the QB coach for the Jets.  Go figure.  Clearly I was dead wrong about Tony, hopefully Marty is the real deal.  

I disagree with you. I think Rex is a great coach because he can make bad players average, average players good and good players great with his schemes on defense. If not, why are coaches paid so much money in the NFL? If it was only about the players, the GM's would make all the money, and the coaches would not make much. It's the other way around for a reason, the coaches make much, much more than the GM's. 

WTF are you talking about?  That data was available to everyone, for years.  Pete Carroll wasnt the first person to drop that knowledge on the world.  Us stupid dumb **** arm chair QB's were saying the same sh*t about Sanchez.  You Rex haters ate up that quote as if he was saying some sh*t everyone didnt already know.  He was right about Sanchez and so were a sh*t ton of us.

And he was dead wrong about the money.  Mark was picked 5th overall, made a ton of cash.  He could have easily ****ed his career ala Barkley or Leinart before him.  You dont think he took that into consideration?  Carroll was dead wrong, period.  And what kind of coach tries to deter his player from taking the money while he can?  Do you see Saban doing that?  No, he encourages them to leave when their draft stock is high.  Carroll was a pussy ass selfish coward who knew his time was running out and he wanted one last shot with a senior as opposed to true freshman.  You're the one who needs to wake up.

Go Gators! and GFY

You're the one who is twisting this.  Step back from the ledge, take a deep breath and a little time to think about this, and you'll see that I'm right.  I NEVER claimed that Carroll having said that made him a genius.  That was TOTALLY your own extrapolation.  It didn't make a rat's ass difference to me WHO said it.  The POINT was that Sanchez wasn't ready for the NFL and no GM with half a brain should have taken him in the first round, let alone traded up for him.  As for the money, one (neither you nor anyone else) cannot definitively claim that Carroll was wrong.  Sanchez could have played lights out his Sr. season, USC won the National Championship and Sanchez could have been the #1 pick.  Failing that, he still could have been the #2, #3 or #4 pick and THUS have gotten more money than as the #5 pick the previous year.  Even if he had gone #5 in the draft in 2010, he still probably would have gotten more money than he did as #5 in 2009.  The only way Sanchez would have made less money initially was if he had not played well his Senior season and dropped in the rankings.

You also totally missed or ignored (for your convenience) the point that I made that with a different GM, Sanchez would never have seen that second huge contract, and would have followed up his rookie contract with probably a veteran minimum contract as a backup somewhere.  Conversely, if he stayed for his senior season, even if he dropped in the rankings, and thus got less money initially, having more experience and being better prepared for the NFL, he could have possibly come in, played a lot better his rookie season, and continued to improve each season, his confidence soared rather than dropped through the floor, and THEN have gotten a big enough second contract that he would have made more than coming out following his Jr. season, getting a big contract, sucking, then getting veteran minimum his second contract.  

Who said he wasnt?  

OMG!!!!  YOU did!!!!

Whatever.  You obviously have nothing but contempt for Carroll and don't want to see what he's accomplished. To say that he's done nothing but for Wilson is patently untrue.

I also see that you can't even admit that you were wrong about Carroll's being the de facto GM of the Seahawks and has built them into a solid team.  As good as Wilson is, it wouldn't make that much difference if he didn't have good players around him on offense and a good defense.  He has those thanks to Carroll.

LOL.

Pete Carroll doesn't even have back to back championship game loses yet, and we're crowning him.

An eff the Gators.  LOL

Unless you have evidence that Mark would have been good had he waited a year, neither of you win.

Archived