Report: CB Berry Out For Season

flgreen

Report: CB Berry out for season with torn ACL

11 m ago By Kimberley A. Martin

CORTLAND -- Aaron Berry's season is over. Already.

The cornerback -- who expected to see ample playing time this season -- suffered a torn ACL on the Jets' first day of training camp. The news was first reported by Central Pennsylvania TV station ABC27.

Berry, a Pitt product,  went down after colliding with receiver Joe Collins during a drill period. The cornerback laid motionless on the grass for about a minute, but appeared to be somewhat OK after he was attended to by trainers. Berry limped off the practice field and did not return.

Berry -- who was signed to a two-year deal last October -- was sidelined in 2012 by injury and played in just seven games (two tackles).

I hate to see stuff like this happen, especially in lightly padded practices, or meaningless pre-season games.

Berry had a promising career ahead of him and I hope he returns healthy. 

On a side note:  Berry was injured what, 90 minutes ago.  Already the team knows they need to move on if they want to explore options for roster depth.  In contrast, Santonio Holmes waited until today to inform everyone he might not be ready this season. 

This sucks.   

Berry had a great offseason.  In OTA's and mini camp he was challenging for playing time with the 1's.

This should put some pressure on Milliner to get his butt in here and play football

Also gives Milliner a little more bargaining strength if, in fact, that's what he's looking for. I know there's not a lot to negotiate because of the rookie wage scale but this definitely helps him structure the deal in a more favorable way for himself.

Also gives Milliner a little more bargaining strength if, in fact, that's what he's looking for. I know there's not a lot to negotiate because of the rookie wage scale but this definitely helps him structure the deal in a more favorable way for himself.

I disagree.  Milliner wants off-set language that will get him paid, no-matter-what. 

Now the Jets can point to Berry and argue that injuries happen all of the time, even in lightly-padded practices.  Why should they agree to pay an oft-injured college player for years he may not be contributing to the team?  

I disagree.  Milliner wants off-set language that will get him paid, no-matter-what. 

Now the Jets can point to Berry and argue that injuries happen all of the time, even in lightly-padded practices.  Why should they agree to pay an oft-injured college player for years he may not be contributing to the team?  

yeah, considering the guy has already had 5 surgeries before he was drafted.

Fair enough. But the fact remains, they are down a CB. One who was considered more than just camp fodder. I wouldn't say that the Jets necessarily have the upper hand.

Competition? Kyle Wilson Says Bring It On

Posted 13 minutes ago

Josh Citron Reporter

There is no one recipe for creating a successful football team in the NFL, but there are certain ingredients that are common among the league's elite. One of these ingredients is a sense of competition among players, something new general manager John Idzik and coach Rex Ryan have instilled in the Jets early on this summer.

One of the players who has felt the surge of competition through training camp is fourth-year cornerback and former first-round draft pick Kyle Wilson. When asked about the competition Wilson was quick to sing the praises of the new mentality.

“Yeah, competition brings out the best in everybody,” he said, “I’ve been on a lot of winning teams and that’s been a common theme in all of them.”

Wilson isn't intimidated by the competition, a mindset that has been a big part of his game dating to his time as a valuable piece in a powerful Boise State defense.

Head coach Rex Ryan has made it clear that every position will be subject to competition for starting roles, including cornerback. Wilson who started 15 of the team's 16 games last season. He was asked if he felt it was his job to lose coming in to training camp.

“My intentions going into camp are just to come in and do my thing, go out each day and continue to get better,” Wilson answered humbly. “I want to earn as much playing time as I can on this team. Nothing is ever given to me.”

Entering their first full season since 2006 without All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis, many are wondering if the Jets can remain a dominant secondary, one that features Wilson and first-round draft pick Dee Milliner to go along side All-Pro corner Antonio Cromartie. Wilson seemed confident when asked about his unit for the coming season.

“Definitely, we were pretty good last year and we weren’t satisfied with that," he said. "Our goal is to get better. Last year was last year and we just focus on improving each day, tweaking the fine details and just growing together as a team."

Competition is not the only thing that is different about this year’s trip up to SUNY Cortland for Wilson. He is also sporting a new look to go along with a commitment to retain his starting role from last season. For the first time as a Jet, Wilson is without his signature dreadlocks that were so easily recognized flowing from under his white helmet. He was asked about playing without his familiar hairstyle.

“It’s a little different," he said, "but it’s still me.”

yeah, considering the guy has already had 5 surgeries before he was drafted.

I don't think Milliner is going to be a fragile player or anything.  In fact, part of his draft status being so high, was his toughness against the run.  

And I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of off-set language.  But it's my understanding that the player's angle is to get guaranteed money from their drafting team.  The team's angle (for that draft slot anyway), is that the entire contract WILL be guaranteed, UNLESS the player leaves the team for some reason.  I know it's the agent's job to get as much money as possible from the team, but this is ridiculous.  I thought the whole purpose of the new CBA was to get rookies into the league as quickly as possible, and under "fair" contracts--until they can exploit the market after their rookie contracts expire.

Holding out for money is one thing...but the contract amount isn't the variable here.  Only the ability to double-dip should Milliner not meet expectations.  This is worse than Revis, IMO.    

On a side note:  Berry was injured what, 90 minutes ago.  Already the team knows they need to move on if they want to explore options for roster depth.  In contrast, Santonio Holmes waited until today to inform everyone he might not be ready this season.

Seriously?

When the press knew something, and when the Jets knew it, are probably two entirely different things. I have a strong feeling the Jets had a good idea of what was going on with Holmes' foot when they were trying out WRs and ultimately signed Braylon.

This sucks.   

Berry had a great offseason.  In OTA's and mini camp he was challenging for playing time with the 1's.

This should put some pressure on Milliner to get his butt in here and play football

At best he would have been the #4 CB, assuming Milliner stays healthy. You can find serviceable #4 CBs all over . No big deal. As bad as Wilson is, he's a solid guy for a 3rd string corner.

Just feel badly for the kid. Like you said, he was really making the most out of the off-season, trying to get better.

Seriously?

When the press knew something, and when the Jets knew it, are probably two entirely different things. I have a strong feeling the Jets had a good idea of what was going on with Holmes' foot when they were trying out WRs and ultimately signed Braylon.

We ALL knew it.  I'm sure the Jets were taken by complete surprise that Holmes is on the PUP and saying he will play when his foot allows him.

This sucks.   

Agreed.  Having him here would have been great for nickle and dime packages.  Hopefully, he'll make a full recovery and be back next season.

Seriously?

I guarantee the Jets brass is better informed than the press; that's how they get their information from this regime.  

If I had to venture a guess, Holmes will be fine this year, and before week-6.  The logic says so.  If he's out for the year there would be little incentive to: (1) bring him and his recovery equipment to Cortland, (2) place him on the active/PUP where he takes up a roster spot, as opposed to the non-active/PUP which at least provides roster relief for 6-weeks. (3) Wait until the eve of training camp to bring in Collie, Robinson and Edwards.  

The only benefit to having an injured veteran in training camp, consuming a roster spot, would be for the leadership and coaching that player could provide to younger players.  Not really a strong-suit for Santonio.  Or, to deceive the opposition as to when he will really come back.  Again, not very realistic. 

The only reason to keep him around now is because (1) They truly don't know when he'll be ready. (2) but they figure he'll be ready before week-6, and (3) they want him to be familiar with the offense so that he's ready to roll when he is cleared.

This, "I don't know if I'll be able to play this year" is just crap...and if true, he sure took his sweet time in leaking that out to the press.  Edwards should have had a playbook two months ago if the Jets brass was really this uncertain about Holmes' return date.         

We ALL knew it.  I'm sure the Jets were taken by complete surprise that Holmes is on the PUP and saying he will play when his foot allows him.

sarcasm noted.  But as I point out above, the Jets would be wasting a roster spot by placing him on the active/PUP.  Why whittle down the roster to make room for a player that won't be ready until after week-6?

I hate to see stuff like this happen, especially in lightly padded practices, or meaningless pre-season games.

Berry had a promising career ahead of him and I hope he returns healthy. 

I seriously doubt the Jets were waiting for Holmes to make comments to a reporter in order to know his health status.  They have their own medical staff and trainers working with him all the time and I'm sure have been in touch with his doctors as well.  Don't think for a second they haven't known better than anyone what the situation with Holmes was all along.

I agree it sucks to hear about Berry though, he was being spoken really highly of all throughout this offseason and for it to happen in instances like this really is the worst.

FWIW, I've heard a great deal more about Santonio mentoring young players than Edwards.

Not for nothing, but it was reported that Edwards took Hill under his wing today, and was talking him up during drills.  

[Coincidence that Hill makes a beautiful wrong-shoulder catch tumbling to the ground today?  :confused0082: ]

I seriously doubt the Jets were waiting for Holmes to make comments to a reporter in order to know his health status.  They have their own medical staff and trainers working with him all the time and I'm sure have been in touch with his doctors as well.  Don't think for a second they haven't known better than anyone what the situation with Holmes was all along.

Oh, I don't. That's why I'm grumbling.  Why would they wait so long before bringing in some weaponz if they knew this was going to be a post-training camp, post pre-season, now, a potentially post-week-6 injury?

It behooves me.  Like I responded to slats: Braylon should have had his playbook for more than 3 days.  He could be showing the youngsters what's up, or attending JetsWest or CampGeno to build chemistry.  The fact that our now defacto #1 WR has been with the team for less than a week befuddles me. 

sorry guys, back to Berry. 

Archived