Rex Report: Assesses Lack of RB Depth

flgreen

you guys are all crapping on Laron Landry, he's the best safety this team had since Victor Green. He might even be better than Victor Green. He's an elite athlete and every team needs a certain amount of those guys. Just cause he's not with the Jets doesn't mean he sucks. He's a head hunter and we can only hope his older brother is half the player Laron is. 

as for Brandon Moore the reason he's on the market is because he doesn't want to accept Vet min. not because he's bad. If he were on the roster he'd be the best guard, again. He's significantly better than Winters, Colon, Peterman etc. PFF had him as the 4th best guard in the game last year. 

Defining a player as good because he compares favorably to previous Jets is a total lollercoaster. Landry can't cover for sh*t and gets hurt all the time and there's no universe in which he's worth $14 million guaranteed.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO David Garrard, if healthy, was probably the best QB on that list (particularly for $1.1 million) and would have been the best mentor for Sanchez.  

the dude hadn't played in an NFL game since 2010. You don't have to be nostradamus to know how the garrard signing would end up. 

No, he's really, really, really wrong. He's arguing that a team in the middle of a total rebuild 

theres no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL only reloading. when even good teams have 20% roster churn every year, the idea of rebuilding in the NFL is a myth. It doesn't happen in the salary cap era. NBA teams can rebuild and hope for a Lebron. NFL teams don't have that sort of time. If Idzik doesn't make the playoffs in 3 or 4 years, he'll be fired too. IT's a one year rebuild, every year. 

No, he's really, really, really wrong. He's arguing that a team in the middle of a total rebuild should be handing long-term deals to guys like Brandon Moore and LaRon Landry. He's arguing that the signing of a #2 running back with $1mm in guaranteed money was indefensible because Idzik should have known that a guy who's never been arrested before would get caught with weed and a handgun, oh and also the fact that he praised the signing at the time is irrelevant. Every single argument he's made is based on ex post facto reasoning or a demand that Idzik display powers of clairvoyance. It's entirely possible that every one of the guys we signed will flame out, in which case we can and should use facts and reason to criticize Idzik. Until then, bit should probably stick to weeping over his photo of Revis in a heart-shaped frame.

I...I...I was referring specifically to his point about the players Idzik targeted in free agency. I get scared when you raise your voice.

Defining a player as good because he compares favorably to previous Jets is a total lollercoaster. Landry can't cover for sh*t and gets hurt all the time and there's no universe in which he's worth $14 million guaranteed.

We have been conditioned to think that 14 million over 4 years is alot of money, because we see the Jets signing crapsters for 1/8th of that and telling us it's market value. it's 3.5 mil a year or Garrard, Goodson and Ivory put together. It's 2.5% of a full cap.

idzik is buying 3.5 bags of America's choice potato chips instead of 1 bag of ruffles. who cares. 

theres no such thing as rebuilding in the NFL only reloading. when even good teams have 20% roster churn every year, the idea of rebuilding in the NFL is a myth. It doesn't happen in the salary cap era. NBA teams can rebuild and hope for a Lebron. NFL teams don't have that sort of time. If Idzik doesn't make the playoffs in 3 or 4 years, he'll be fired too. IT's a one year rebuild, every year.

This, I don't agree with. If that were true, Idzik would have signed Revis, he would have spent picks at wide receiver and running back, and he would have upgraded the QB position with a veteran. A successful rebuild takes four years. Next January, Idzik will have taken the roster back to bare bones, where he can build around Wilkerson, Mangold, Milliner, Richardson, and hopefully Geno and Coples.

I wonder if it's Bit doesn't like Idzik so much as lately the board has fallen over itself lending support for Idzik's every move. 

A honeymoon period after Tannenbaum left is understandable, but this is getting eerie.

The forum is being flooded with posts allegedly written under the names and avatars of normally hyper-critical posters praising Idzik and ending with the assurance that the writer supports all the moves he has made to date. 

Yeah, it's funny how many hopes and dreams have been assigned to Idzik. I can't be overly critical of him -not at all- but I don't get all the praise, either. He couldn't do much this year, and didn't do much. His draft looks good, his free agent/trade moves look less than good. We'll have a much better idea about him next year, when he has a lot of money available and his own front office in place.

For now, he's fortunate that Geno is legitimately competing for the starting job. If he wasn't, he'd be getting absolutely killed for passing on much less risky QB prospects in favor of Garrard.

We have been conditioned to think that 14 million over 4 years is alot of money, because we see the Jets signing crapsters for 1/8th of that and telling us it's market value. it's 3.5 mil a year or Garrard, Goodson and Ivory put together. It's 2.5% of a full cap.

idzik is buying 3.5 bags of America's choice potato chips instead of 1 bag of ruffles. who cares.

Landry was thrown out on the street by the Redskins, bit. That he made it through 16 games with the Jets is an aberration. A player that can't stay healthy is worth zero in this league.

This, I don't agree with. If that were true, Idzik would have signed Revis, he would have spent picks at wide receiver and running back, and he would have upgraded the QB position with a veteran. A successful rebuild takes four years. Next January, Idzik will have taken the roster back to bare bones, where he can build around Wilkerson, Mangold, Milliner, Richardson, and hopefully Geno and Coples.

Revis was unsignable at 16 per year. I supported Revis being resigned for a reasonable amount. 12-13 ish. People remember me being like Revis' biggest supporter or whatever but the deal that he signed with Tampa Bay was truly ridiculous. If I were in Idziks shoes and Revis wants franchise tag money forever i'd say no too. I didn't realize exactly how unsignable Revis was... and in light of his history that was dumb on my part. 

I did like Idziks draft by the way, it was very athletic. Sheldon and Dee were 5 star preps, Geno was the best QB in the country and even guys like William Campbell are NFL quality athletes. There was no Boar Hunter type picks. 

but this is a thread about wheres the RB depth when all this team did in the spring was sign and trade for Running backs. if people want to turn that into a thread about salary cap and the theory of rebuilding that's fun too but bottom line if you lose all your high risk bets, then it's not better than a more expensive low risk bet. It's not a bargain if every one loses.

true story I got a buddy who loves to play all sorts of parlays. If you lose 100$ of parlays it doesn't matter if you had the chance to win $1600. It's not a bargain. I prefer the game-by-game approach if you lose 2 out of 4 you have broken even minus the vig.

No, the Jets are rebuilding here, not reloading or retooling. They've replaced up to eight starters on defense, and should be replacing more than that on offense, all at a time when the team is completely cap strapped due to the financial genius and negotiation savvy of the previous GM. There's no way that this team could make a turnaround in one year short of Geno being Joe Montana day one.

Don't agree with this, either, though. The rebuild takes about as long as finding a QB takes. The defense is in good shape. The OL is in good shape. The skill positions on offense continue to be hurting. If Ivory and/or Goodson was a good move, then they're part of the way there.

They have a lot of money available next year, probably a couple extra draft picks (Revis, comp picks), too. If Geno is a mid-level NFL starter, then the Jets should be a playoff team next year. If he's better than that, maybe a legitimate contender.

Landry was thrown out on the street by the Redskins, bit. That he made it through 16 games with the Jets is an aberration. A player that can't stay healthy is worth zero in this league.

ok let's assume what you say is true and Landry is not able to stay healthy.  Why doesn't that rule apply to Garrard? or Colon who hasn't made it thru a season without being IR'ed in 3 years? or winslow who hasn't had a good knee since 2005?

zero is zero whether you paid 1 mil x 5 or 5 mil. If you multiply by zero it all comes out to zero. 

for the record i think the defensive signings of Garay, Barnes, Pace, even Dewan Landry were better bets.The offense added David Garrard, Mike Goodson, Kellen Winslow Jr, Braylon Edwards, Chris Ivory, Stephen Petermanhow is this a good list of free agent help? I still have hope for Ivory ***if healthy*** but that list sucks.

Yeah, it's funny how many hopes and dreams have been assigned to Idzik. I can't be overly critical of him -not at all- but I don't get all the praise, either. He couldn't do much this year, and didn't do much. His draft looks good, his free agent/trade moves look less than good. We'll have a much better idea about him next year, when he has a lot of money available and his own front office in place.

For now, he's fortunate that Geno is legitimately competing for the starting job. If he wasn't, he'd be getting absolutely killed for passing on much less risky QB prospects in favor of Garrard.

As the resident critic, here's why Idzik looks good right now: He's immediately made the Jets appear to be a professional organization. Compare, for instance, the horrific circus that Tannenbaum facilitated with the most Revis holdout to the way Idzik handled Revis' trade. It was clean, cool, and drama-free. Business-like. He clearly doesn't think he's a headline, and he has no interest in being a celebrity, unlike Mike Tannenbaum. Simply, the Jets appear to have an adult in charge, finally. He's muffled Rex, he's muffled Woody, and he's frustrated the provocateurs in the media by not over-reacting to anything. This is a good start. Now, if Geno Smith becomes a player, he'll look like a genius.

ok let's assume what you say is true and Landry is not able to stay healthy. Why doesn't that rule apply to Garrard? or Colon who hasn't made it thru a season without being IR'ed in 3 years? zero is zero whether you paid 1 mil x 5 or 5 mil it's still zero.

Garrard and Colon were stopgap moves with no long-term implications to the roster. If Landry gets hurt as a Colt, they're paying him for four years to be on IR.

No, the Jets are rebuilding here, not reloading or retooling. They've replaced up to eight starters on defense, and should be replacing more than that on offense, all at a time when the team is completely cap strapped due to the financial genius and negotiation savvy of the previous GM. There's no way that this team could make a turnaround in one year short of Geno being Joe Montana day one.

read the end of the paragraph you quoted it's a one year rebuild every year. I agree it's a rebuild but it better be quick. This idea that Idzik has to sign cheap bad players this year because he's got a magical 4 year plan is hogwash. Agree it takes a Qb but if Geno doesn't Joe Montana this year and the Jets are picking high they will take another QB. Morningweg is supposedly a student of Bill Walsh, that guys rule was take a QB every year. Some years it was Gino Carmazzi but other years it's Steve Young.

Garrard and Colon were stopgap moves with no long-term implications to the roster. If Landry gets hurt as a Colt, they're paying him for four years to be on IR.

But everyone agrees that next year they have tons of cap room. the long term implications of a bad Laron Landry deal is not the same as a bad Santonio or Sanchez deal. 

As the resident critic, here's why Idzik looks good right now: He's immediately made the Jets appear to be a professional organization. Compare, for instance, the horrific circus that Tannenbaum facilitated with the most Revis holdout to the way Idzik handled Revis' trade. It was clean, cool, and drama-free. Business-like. He clearly doesn't think he's a headline, and he has no interest in being a celebrity, unlike Mike Tannenbaum. Simply, the Jets appear to have an adult in charge, finally. He's muffled Rex, he's muffled Woody, and he's frustrated the provocateurs in the media by not over-reacting to anything. This is a good start. Now, if Geno Smith becomes a player, he'll look like a genius.

To me, that's style over substance. If that's the style you prefer, then you'll like him. I'm perfectly fine with Rex's toe-sucking boisterous ways if it results in wins.

I haven't seen anything to put me firmly in Idzik's corner just yet but, like I said, it's not like he had a lot of room to maneuver. I'm still concerned about the lack of football man skills on his résumé, and I'm not entirely enthralled with the front office he's put together. I'm not against him, either. Just in wait and see mode. Next year, that's when we'll have a better idea.

Don't agree with this, either, though. The rebuild takes about as long as finding a QB takes. The defense is in good shape. The OL is in good shape. The skill positions on offense continue to be hurting. If Ivory and/or Goodson was a good move, then they're part of the way there.

They have a lot of money available next year, probably a couple extra draft picks (Revis, comp picks), too. If Geno is a mid-level NFL starter, then the Jets should be a playoff team next year. If he's better than that, maybe a legitimate contender.

I meant that it takes four years to take a team from zero to legit contender (without landing Andrew Luck). If Geno is great quickly, that'll accelerate things, but there are still a lot of pieces missing. We have to hope Geno is great, and that Stephen Hill doesn't suck, and that Chris Ivory isn't perpetually injured, THEN we can talk about adding pieces to that. In sum, I think it'll take us four years to get to that top-five level.

read the end of the paragraph you quoted it's a one year rebuild every year. I agree it's a rebuild but it better be quick. This idea that Idzik has to sign cheap bad players this year because he's got a magical 4 year plan is hogwash. Agree it takes a Qb but if Geno doesn't Joe Montana this year and the Jets are picking high they will take another QB. Morningweg is supposedly a student of Bill Walsh, that guys rule was take a QB every year. Some years it was Gino Carmazzi but other years it's Steve Young.

I completely, 100% understand the logic of doing a series of one year, low cost, higher risk deals this season. I'm much less concerned about those than trading a fourth round pick for a RB with health concerns to a decent sized contract. The man had next to no money to work with, and a lot of holes to fill. He doesn't know if he has a head coach or a QB. Too many variables to make one big splash as opposed to a number of little ripples.

Next year, he'll have a lot more money, and a firm handle on what he has at QB, and he'll know where he stands on the head coach. That'll be the time to start making more long term moves.

To me, that's style over substance. If that's the style you prefer, then you'll like him. I'm perfectly fine with Rex's toe-sucking boisterous ways if it results in wins.

I haven't seen anything to put me firmly in Idzik's corner just yet but, like I said, it's not like he had a lot of room to maneuver. I'm still concerned about the lack of football man skills on his résumé, and I'm not entirely enthralled with the front office he's put together. I'm not against him, either. Just in wait and see mode. Next year, that's when we'll have a better idea.

I think it's less about style and more about philosophy, and that's what's encouraging. He clearly has a plan, he doesn't give a sh*t was the media or fans think, and that professionalism has trickled down through the team. It's one thing to lose; it's another thing to lose while looking like a bunch of horses' asses. Agreed, though. Next year is when we'll get an idea of how good he is at picking players.

I think it's less about style and more about philosophy, and that's what's encouraging. He clearly has a plan, he doesn't give a sh*t was the media or fans think, and that professionalism has trickled down through the team. It's one thing to lose; it's another thing to lose while looking like a bunch of horses' asses. Agreed, though. Next year is when we'll get an idea of how good he is at picking players.

I'm not sure that he clearly has a plan, yet. I think it's clear that you have a plan -lol!- and that maybe you're projecting it onto him because you like the low-key, businesslike approach.

Next year. It all comes down to next year. Life of a Jet fan.

I'm not sure that he clearly has a plan, yet. I think it's clear that you have a plan -lol!- and that maybe you're projecting it onto him because you like the low-key, businesslike approach.

Next year. It all comes down to next year. Life of a Jet fan.

Don't be so morbid. His plan--so far--has been to skin the roster and plug holes with cheap stopgaps (other than Ivory), then to draft BAP come hell or high water. This is a tectonic shift in the way the Jets do business.

I...I...I was referring specifically to his point about the players Idzik targeted in free agency. I get scared when you raise your voice.

Agreed on this. So far, Idzik's first FA class is not looking so hot. It may very well be that Idzik's pro-personnel guys are for sh*t.

Don't be so morbid. His plan--so far--has been to skin the roster and plug holes with cheap stopgaps (other than Ivory), then to draft BAP come hell or high water. This is a tectonic shift in the way the Jets do business.

Haha!

Listen, I like it so far, but it's not like he could do much else this year. The only real criticisms I have are the Ivory deal -which I really didn't like- and the fact that he didn't make a concerted effort at TE. Just think that's a critical position for a young QB and the WCO, and that he missed the boat there. He went OL heavy in the draft after picking up a couple FA guards. I would've gotten a TE somewhere in there, instead, at least.

Overall, they're mild complaints, though. I'm saving both barrels for next winter. :)

Agreed on this. So far, Idzik's first FA class is not looking so hot. It may very well be that Idzik's pro-personnel guys are for sh*t.

Agreed that the FAs may not be off to the greatest of starts, but it's still early and you're also talking about a guy who was in step one of a complete rebuild with a ton of holes and next to no money to fill them with.  Even still, outside of Garrard we really don't know crap about how these moves are really going to work out for the Jets.  There's a distinct possibility the Jets will have, despite little money available in FA, FA acquisitions as opening day starters at FS, OLB, LG, RG, TE, WR and RB.  Next year Idzik will have a whole lot more ability to make moves and his own personnel staff in place, so hopefully there's some reason for cautious optimism.

The hope here is that he doesn't really have his pro personnel staff in place, other than Graves. I believe he's rumored to have his eye on a few scouts from Seattle's personnel group, so we'll see.

I completely, 100% understand the logic of doing a series of one year, low cost, higher risk deals this season. I'm much less concerned about those than trading a fourth round pick for a RB with health concerns to a decent sized contract. The man had next to no money to work with, and a lot of holes to fill. He doesn't know if he has a head coach or a QB. Too many variables to make one big splash as opposed to a number of little ripples.

I don't really see the Ivory pickup as a "big splash".  We had a lot of draft picks to work with this year and plenty next year too.  A 4th rounder on Ivory is about the best he could have done with that pick.  One of the guys you mentioned you wanted there, Marcus Lattimore, was an even bigger injury risk, and was only taken by the 49ers because they had about 1,000,000 draft picks and had that kind of luxury.

Want to know what I like? Yeah, I like some things he's done.  But I also like what he didn't do so far.

- He didn't panic into using up every bit of available cap room in a year where the chances of a SB win are nonexistent.  There were too many holes - with as many as 16 new starters from last year's week 1 lineup - and too few picks and too little cap room to fill them all up with studs in 1 season (if that can even be done at all when there are).

- So what he didn't do was throw a bunch of money at Revis, and didn't scoff at the best offer he could get and instead rationalize, "Hey Revis is worth more than a mid-#1 this year (in a soft round 1) plus a #3 next year.  I'd rather keep him than give him up for so little."  He did NOT do that.  

- At the same time, he didn't get pushed around by Tampa, who bluffed that a 2nd round pick was the highest they'd go (since they knew that their offer of a 2nd round pick was the top offer).

- He also didn't double-down on Sanchez by giving him more bonus money in order to lessen his cap hit this year (something that was brought up as a not-bad idea by more than 1 person as a smart thing to do for 2013).

- He didn't panic on Geno Smith - who he clearly liked - by taking him with the #9 pick, the #13 pick.  He didn't do something even worse than that, like get snookered into trading UP for Geno Smith from #9 to #5 or higher.  He also didn't even trade up from #39 to #33 or whatever to get him either.  Easy to say in hindsight that trading up from #9 never would have happened, but this kid was more likely to have gone inside the top 5 than he was to go 7 picks into round 2.  Idzik had a plan and didn't abandon it because "Holy crap the draft's top QB just fell into our lap at #9 (or #13) and all we have right now is f*cking Sanchez." 

- He didn't blow a sh*tload of money on a Ryan Fitzpatrick-type of QB for competition.  As much as I don't like Sanchez, I'd rather have Sanchez for 1 more year (losing his job to Geno Smith) and then be done with him, than be locked into Sanchez's money PLUS Fitzpatrick getting $4M or whatever and not taking a shot on the draft's best QB prospect.

- He didn't go after a RB like Steven Jackson.  Jackson may very well have a good season this year (and maybe even next year), but his prime is over and by the time this team is realistically retooled enough for a serious SB run we'll wish we had someone younger & faster & more durable.  And we'll wish we had back the $15M of extra cap space we blew on Steven Jackson.

- He didn't double-down on guys like Slauson or Moore, re-signing them so they couldn't hit free agency.  That could have only led to a $3M/year extension for each entering a draft super-deep in offensive linemen.  This would have locked us into ignoring OL in the draft because 4/5 of the OL was locked up long-term & far from a need.  So we'd have then reached for a (theoretically) lesser player at a need position.  He didn't do that, so I'm happy.  If none of these guards pan out, I won't be happy because of what it says about our scouts, but Slauson and Moore are not long-term solutions at $3M/year (or even $2M/year) for a team that wants to win a SB.

- He didn't re-sign Landry for a silly amount for a guy that brittle.  I liked Landry just fine when he was here, but I really liked him because of the production we got on a low-risk, reasonable-dollar contract.  How quickly people forget that signing him for ONE year was seen as a shaky move in 2012, given his injury history.  Now we're supposed to sign him with 5x the guaranteed money (which also guarantees passing up on younger/cheaper solutions that allow cap dollars to be spent elsewhere)? If we could have had him for far less, which we couldn't, then I'd have been interested in retaining him.  One of Tannenbaum's best acquisitions ever, and I'm happy Idzik took our chips back off the table instead of letting it ride on him (and getting a pick for him next year to boot).

- I like that he didn't panic into re-signing Keller to long-term/big-money in February (like Slauson/Moore) out of fear that we couldn't re-sign him so cheaply in March and fear of potentially having only Cumberland or worse heading into the season.  He didn't worry that Keller was Sanchez's favorite target or any of that garbage.  We got off the hook with him & got ok production for most of his 5 years, but he had plenty of holes in his game and I'm happy not signing up for more while also getting a compensatory pick for him next season.

In short, he didn't try to fix so many things in 1 year instead of letting the salary cap chickens come home too roost & then be done with it starting next year.  Tannenbaum should have done that in 2012; instead he extended Sanchez to make a little extra room, signed Tebow, retained Holmes when he could have just cut the cord (albeit expensively in the short-term, but it would have been cheaper long-term).  Then he traded up for Hill because we were desperate for a WR to start right away (exactly the type of prospect Hill was NOT).  The SB in 2012 was a pipe-dream and Tannenbaum should have known it.  Those questionable moves he made he could have instead NOT made & we could have already been a more formidable team in 2013.

So that's why I give Idzik credit.  It's not because I love Milliner or Geno Smith or whoever.  It's because in addition to liking most of the moves he's made so far, I like most of the moves he didn't make.  That and throw in some shiny new thing syndrome that always gives people more credit than they're probably entitled to, and I'm happy with our new GM thus far.

I don't really see the Ivory pickup as a "big splash".  We had a lot of draft picks to work with this year and plenty next year too.  A 4th rounder on Ivory is about the best he could have done with that pick.  One of the guys you mentioned you wanted there, Marcus Lattimore, was an even bigger injury risk, and was only taken by the 49ers because they had about 1,000,000 draft picks and had that kind of luxury.

A little early for that kind of comment.

I only mentioned Lattimore because he pays RB and was drafted by a team that runs an offense similar to the Jets. That I'd be watching his career a little bit, not that I wanted him. Johnathan Franklin was more interesting.

The potential is there for the Jets to've possibly done much better than Ivory, though. A few QBs I wouldn't've minded came off the board right around the Jets' pick; Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones. Doubling up on QBs could've potentially really paid off, too.

I'm just not a fan of the Ivory deal. Sorry. I'm not sold on the player, a guy with injury problems who put up big numbers part-time in an offense far more explosive than the Jets'. And definitely don't like trading picks for vets in general.

A little early for that kind of comment.

I only mentioned Lattimore because he pays RB and was drafted by a team that runs an offense similar to the Jets. That I'd be watching his career a little bit, not that I wanted him. Johnathan Franklin was more interesting.

The potential is there for the Jets to've possibly done much better than Ivory, though. A few QBs I wouldn't've minded came off the board right around the Jets' pick; Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones. Doubling up on QBs could've potentially really paid off, too.

I'm just not a fan of the Ivory deal. Sorry. I'm not sold on the player, a guy with injury problems who put up big numbers part-time in an offense far more explosive than the Jets'. And definitely don't like trading picks for vets in general.

I agree on the QB front.  Certainly no worse doubling-up on that position than it is to double-up on the OL.  Particularly when we need a starting QB & Smith certainly not being a sure-thing.  Can always get another OLman (or get another RB instead of Ivory) any year.  But if Nassib or one of the others turns out to be better than Geno Smith or anyone we have a shot at next year, that'll be a hard pill to swallow.

I disagree.  There may not be the 3 or 4-year rebuilds any more, but when your team has as many holes and as little depth as the Jets, it's a rebuild.  The job just has to be done in a couple of years, rather than 3-4.

I disagree.  There may not be the 3 or 4-year rebuilds any more, but when your team has as many holes and as little depth as the Jets, it's a rebuild.  The job just has to be done in a couple of years, rather than 3-4.

C'mon, dude.  It was only a 20% player turnover.  When up to 16 of 22 starters from last year are being replaced, that's 20% new faces.

Archived