flgreen

Practice report: Busy day for Sanchez

August, 13, 2013
Aug 13
3:35
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets' quarterback rotation is a bit out of whack. Mark Sanchez took the majority of the first-team reps for the second straight day, fueling speculation that he could start Saturday night against the Jaguars.

Rookie Geno Smith worked with the starters on Sunday, despite a sprained ankle, but his reps have diminished over the last two days. Rex Ryan has provided no clarity with regard to the rotation or his plans for Saturday night.

SANCHEZ vs. SMITH: WHO'S WINNING?

nfl_jetsqbmeter_60_203.jpg

Tuesday's advantage: Sanchez

Mark Sanchez's day: Took most of the first-team reps, went 2-for-4 (one drop), with 1 TD pass and 1 sack.

Geno Smith's day: Finished 4-for-8, but threw three straight incompletions inside the opponents' 10.

Quote: "He's had his moments where he's looked great. ... Did he have a couple of rough days? Absolutely, but everybody has had some rough days" -- Rex Ryan on Smith.

On Tuesday, there weren't too many live periods, as the Jets focused on installation. As a result, the quarterbacks didn't have many opportunities. Sanchez was 2-for-4 (one drop), with a sack and a TD pass. On a second down from the 8, he threaded a nice pass to Jeremy Kerley for a touchdown. An excited Sanchez ran over and celebrated with Kerley, who had an earlier drop, as if it were an actual game. Disclaimer: It came against the backup defense.

Smith (4-for-8) was put in the same situation and, facing the first-team defense, he misfired on three straight passes. The first should've been intercepted by LB Demario Davis. On the last incompletion, a fourth-down pass, Smith caught some grief from OC Marty Mornhinweg.

Smith's best moment occurred in the previous period, a fourth-and-2 play in which he was flushed to the right and found TE Konrad Reuland for a first down.

ELLIS, MALONE BANGED UP: NT Kenrick Ellis missed practice with what Rex Ryan called "a little issue" with his back. Ellis was hurt in the weight room, according to Ryan. P Robert Malone didn't practice with an undisclosed injury. He was seen pointing to his back during a conversation with GM John Idzik as he walked off the practice field.

ATTENDANCE REPORT: RB Joe McKnight (head), WR Clyde Gates (head), TE Kellen Winslow (rest) and WR Braylon Edwards (rest) didn't practice. No surprise that McKnight didn't practice, considering his issues Monday before and during practice. CB Antonio Cromartie (elbow) practiced fully after a scare on Monday. QB Greg McElroy, who aggravated an ankle injury on Monday, was limited to scout-team reps. He also was wearing a brace on his left knee. He downplayed both injuries. WR Titus Ryan (hamstring) returned to practice after a long layoff.

ODDS AND ENDS: Bad drop for WR Stephen Hill, open in the end zone. ... RB Chris Ivory, back from a hamstring injury, looked good for the second straight day. He's not just a power runner, he has good vision as well. ... Rookie FB Tommy Bohanon is a physical blocker, not afraid to mix it up. He has a chance to unseat Lex Hilliard. ... LB Jacquies Smith recorded a sack. ... LB Antwan Barnes is fun to watch in pass-rushing drills. If he gets an edge, he has the speed to get to the quarterback. ... They closed practice with a mini-scrimmage -- third-team offense versus third-team defense with live tackling. It's a good watch because these are the players fighting for their professional lives. The session ended on a big play, with QB Matt Simms hitting WR K.J. Stroud for a 60-yard TD -- terrific running after the catch by the rookie.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, there's only two ways to read the change up in the QB rotation and the fact that Sanchez got to practice with the ones for two days in a row after Mornhinweg said he was going to switch to alternating every day:

1) Sanchez has won the competition and is going to start;

or 

2) Geno's ankle is still bothering him and they're resting him somewhat

The second really doesn't make a lot of sense since he still practiced, and I haven't seen anything about his taking fewer reps than Smith.  So it appears that the competition is over and Sanchez been declared the winner.

IMO, there's only two ways to read the change up in the QB rotation and the fact that Sanchez got to practice with the ones for two days in a row after Mornhinweg said he was going to switch to alternating every day:

1) Sanchez has won the competition and is going to start;

or 

2) Geno's ankle is still bothering him and they're resting him somewhat

The second really doesn't make a lot of sense since he still practiced, and I haven't seen anything about his taking fewer reps than Smith.  So it appears that the competition is over and Sanchez been declared the winner.

#3)  could be that they are going to give Smith Wed and thurs, leading up to the game.   I honestly don't have a clue, just throwing that out there.

If Smith doesn't start Saturday IMO it's over

#3)  could be that they are going to give Smith Wed and thurs, leading up to the game.   I honestly don't have a clue, just throwing that out there.

Could be.  I didn't think of that.  It will be interesting to see.

I think all powers to be know and own the fact that Sanchez will continue to make bonehead throws like the pick 6 @ Detroit. He seems to be looking ok on the ones he doesn't screw up therefore, unfortunately, that will put him at the head of the pack to start.  

It would be disingenuous to not give Geno the opportunity to at least be judged in live action with the 1s, seeing as how Marty even admitted the first game wasn't proper grounds for evaluation.  Besides, If Sanchez has won anything, it's the right to start the 2nd preseason game and if I'm Geno, I'm not too upset over that. The more time the coaches get to see Sanchez play in an actual game, the better chance Geno has of starting.  I don't care how he looks when there's no defensive lineman on the field; the 13 pass attempts he saw on Friday, one went back the other went to a guy who has no reason touching the ball and another that would have done just the same if not for Winslow.  Most of the mistakes he makes are absolutely mental (in addition to his physical limitations) and there's been zero decline in his four years.  For all the talk of turnovers just being a mentality, he's either an a$$hole and refuses to tell himself to stop throwing interceptions or is just incapable of doing so when under pressure.

It would be disingenuous to not give Geno the opportunity to at least be judged in live action with the 1s, seeing as how Marty even admitted the first game wasn't proper grounds for evaluation.  Besides, If Sanchez has won anything, it's the right to start the 2nd preseason game and if I'm Geno, I'm not too upset over that. The more time the coaches get to see Sanchez play in an actual game, the better chance Geno has of starting.  I don't care how he looks when there's no defensive lineman on the field; the 13 pass attempts he saw on Friday, one went back the other went to a guy who has no reason touching the ball and another that would have done just the same if not for Winslow.  Most of the mistakes he makes are absolutely mental (in addition to his physical limitations) and there's been zero decline in his four years.  For all the talk of turnovers just being a mentality, he's either an a$$hole and refuses to tell himself to stop throwing interceptions or is just incapable of doing so when under pressure.

two things I see with Sanchez and its hard to get past both of them and understand why in the hell he can't figure it out.

1. his accuracy is poor in the short to intermediate range he seems to be hurrying when he does not have too.

2. he refuses to throw the ball away in bad situations

This INT to defensive lineman crap started last season and I have no idea wtf hes trying to accomplish. now that defensive lineman are wise to what he might do in that situation (especially if they read screen) they sucker him in and Mark goes for it hook line and sinker. This has dumb written all over it since its a very simple fix THROW THE BALL AWAY or get in a position to throw a safer pass. Could he be tipping his hand somehow ? and if so you think he would have figured that out as well.

the 13 pass attempts he saw on Friday, one went back the other went to a guy who has no reason touching the ball and another that would have done just the same if not for Winslow.   

... and the other ten were completions... one for a TD.

... and the other ten were completions... one for a TD.

Excellent, so he netted us zero points. Super.  I get the point you're trying to make, but my issue isn't on his recovery from these mental abortions, it's the fact that he's still making them in the first place...in his 5th year in the league.  It is absolutely impossible to have faith in a player you know still makes these mistakes game after game, year after year. Especially considering he doesn't have the talent or at least hasn't show ability to put a team on his back and make up for them.  

Excellent, so he netted us zero points. Super.  I get the point you're trying to make, but my issue isn't on his recovery from these mental abortions, it's the fact that he's still making them in the first place...in his 5th year in the league.  It is absolutely impossible to have faith in a player you know still makes these mistakes game after game, year after year. Especially considering he doesn't have the talent or at least hasn't show ability to put a team on his back and make up for them.  

the question is do you want player A who offers explosive plays and mind numbing mistakes or player B who offers neither (right now). Gotta take the points. Geno has potential but he's not putting up points. 

The Jets QB meter is pegged at "headband" 

two things I see with Sanchez and its hard to get past both of them and understand why in the hell he can't figure it out.

1. his accuracy is poor in the short to intermediate range he seems to be hurrying when he does not have too.

2. he refuses to throw the ball away in bad situations

This INT to defensive lineman crap started last season and I have no idea wtf hes trying to accomplish. now that defensive lineman are wise to what he might do in that situation (especially if they read screen) they sucker him in and Mark goes for it hook line and sinker. This has dumb written all over it since its a very simple fix THROW THE BALL AWAY or get in a position to throw a safer pass. Could he be tipping his hand somehow ? and if so you think he would have figured that out as well.

It's baffling, because his footwork, mechanics and intermediate game were supposed to be so well honed coming out of college I figured those would be his strong suits.  It's not his physical ability that I can't get behind, because he does show flashes, it's the mental errors that he makes whenever he's being pressured or is pressing; throwing into triple or quadruple coverage or throwing it to a lineman.  It bothers me, because regardless of what he says, it's not a mentality and every time he gets pressured, something happens and his better judgement vanishes. I would love for him to consistently put up points and have great games, I just don't have the faith in him not making these mental errors again.  It'd be one thing it he were like Favre and also had the ability to put the team on his back, I just haven't seen that yet.  

I just think lineman know that he is easily flustered and will give him a chance to make a play; I don't think his passes get intercepted by lineman anymore easily than others, it's just that he gives these guys more opportunities than the next QB.  If he stops making those throws and just throws it at their feet, this won't be an issue.  Granted Brady and Manning are a couple inches taller, but I've never seen their passes go into the chest of offensive lineman, especially twice in one game.  Who knows, I just hope he either figures it out or Geno can do better. 

the question is do you want player A who offers explosive plays and mind numbing mistakes or player B who offers neither (right now). Gotta take the points. Geno has potential but he's not putting up points. 

The Jets QB meter is pegged at "headband" 

I'd honestly take player B. Give me a guy who won't lose you a game over someone who can single-handedly lose you a game any day of the week.  You can win with someone like that ala Brady or Big Ben in their beginnings, because they just flat out didn't turn the ball over or lose games for you.  Sanchez, or this team. hasn't shown that he's capable of putting up big points on a consistent basis, but he has shown he's capable of losing games on his own.  However, our team has consistently shown the ability to play solid defense and keep games close; if we go back to a '09 or '10 defense, then yes, give me the guy who makes no mistakes.  But i haven't seen Geno in a meaningful game, so it's hard to evaluate. All I know is Sanchez can have as many awesome practices in a row as he wants, but he keeps making mistakes like that in games and there's no way I can get behind him being our starting QB.

I'd honestly take player B. Give me a guy who won't lose you a game over someone who can single-handedly lose you a game any day of the week.  You can win with someone like that ala Brady or Big Ben in their beginnings, because they just flat out didn't turn the ball over or lose games for you.  Sanchez, or this team. hasn't shown that he's capable of putting up big points on a consistent basis, but he has shown he's capable of losing games on his own.  However, our team has consistently shown the ability to play solid defense and keep games close; if we go back to a '09 or '10 defense, then yes, give me the guy who makes no mistakes.  But i haven't seen Geno in a meaningful game, so it's hard to evaluate. All I know is Sanchez can have as many awesome practices in a row as he wants, but he keeps making mistakes like that in games and there's no way I can get behind him being our starting QB.

yes but you can't win a game scoring 0 offensive points. This "Net points" Is a stat invented by Jets fans for this competition. Bottom line you want the player throwing TDs and INTs cause maybe the D holds strong after the INT. The player throwing no TDs, that team is gonna lose. 

To be clear, I don't think Sanchez' mistakes are good or the correct way to play (he needs to stop that crap) but at least he's putting up points. Geno hasn't put up points in either the scrimmage or the 1st preseason game, that's not a good trend.

in years past there was a G&P aspect that maybe a mistake free, touchdown free QB could win a game but with Marty Morn's system there's no where for the QB to hide. 

The question is how many games is Geno not gonna score points before people realize 6 is starting the season. 

I had considered this possibility as well, as that would make sense if they plan on giving Smith the start.  Granted, I will admit part of it is me wanting to be optimistic about Geno, but the other part that makes me think that is a possibility is that Rex said that Mornhinweg had told Rex about his plans to change the lineup like this well in advance, which could suggest that the plan all along was for Sanchez to start week 1 and Geno week 2, barring any shocking turn of events.  I'm sure this will all get sorted out in the coming days.

Zero net points, baby

Mark Sanchez is 37-31 that means he has 6 net wins. See we can all make up stats. 

Sanchez career ANY/A ranks: 27th, 24th, 24th, 34th

This is about as relevant as Geno's 5 game skid and the pinstripe bowl. they both have not so hot resumes.

yes but you can't win a game scoring 0 offensive points. This "Net points" Is a stat invented by Jets fans for this competition. Bottom line you want the player throwing TDs and INTs cause maybe the D holds strong after the INT. The player throwing no TDs, that team is gonna lose. 

To be clear, I don't think Sanchez' mistakes are good or the correct way to play (he needs to stop that crap) but at least he's putting up points. Geno hasn't put up points in either the scrimmage or the 1st preseason game, that's not a good trend.

in years past there was a G&P aspect that maybe a mistake free, touchdown free QB could win a game but with Marty Morn's system there's no where for the QB to hide. 

The question is how many games is Geno not gonna score points before people realize 6 is starting the season. 

The D can't "hold strong" after a turnover when they don't even get an opportunity to step onto the field.  And again, when he puts up the exact same number of points for both teams, he is by definition completely useless.  In fact, it's even worse than useless considering that he put the points up for the opposing team first, he was directly responsible for putting the Jets into a deficit.  That would also be a deficit from which they never recovered.

By all means, a few drives in his very first ever preseason game with the 2nd team offense is clearly the be all, end all of evaluation (yet somehow, far worse play in a players very first drive of preseason with the starters, somehow, is not).  Oh, and by the way, last preseason Sanchez went the entire preseason without scoring a single touchdown.  I'd love to see you pull up all of the similar posts you made about him back then.  I'm sure you were telling the entire board why McElroy absolutely had to be the Jets week 1 starter, right?  After all, he was the only Jets QB who scored a TD, so you clearly would have been rather adamant in that position.

Mark Sanchez is 37-31 that means he has 6 net wins. See we can all make up stats. 

This is about as relevant as Geno's 5 game skid and the pinstripe bowl. they both have not so hot resumes.

Actually, no.  The NY Jets, as a team, are 37-31 with Mark Sanchez as their starter.  In the Detroit game, Mark Sanchez, as an individual, threw 1 TD to each of the Jets and Lions, being directly responsible for 7 of each team's points.  There is literally no point of comparison that can be made between these two statistics.  Not to mention, your supposed point has absolutely no relevancy to his performance against Detroit.

Interesting to note, in that same time period the Jets are 3-1 with other players (Clemens, Brunell, McElroy) at QB.  So that doesn't really do much to help your argument.  Actually, you've only helped to prove yourself wrong.  Well done.

geno just isn't ready

simple

Unfortunately, after 4+ years, neither is Mark.

At this point, if they feel that way about Geno, Mark would start simply because the Jets don't give a crap what happens to him and nothing more than that.  That still doesn't make Sanchez anything more than absolutely awful.

Actually, no.  The NY Jets, as a team, are 37-31 with Mark Sanchez as their starter.  In the Detroit game, Mark Sanchez, as an individual, threw 1 TD to each of the Jets and Lions, being directly responsible for 7 of each team's points.  There is literally no point of comparison that can be made between these two statistics.  Not to mention, your supposed point has absolutely no relevancy to his performance against Detroit.

Interesting to note, in that same time period the Jets are 3-1 with other players (Clemens, Brunell, McElroy) at QB.  So that doesn't really do much to help your argument.  Actually, you've only helped to prove yourself wrong.  Well done.

Mark Sanchez is 37-31 including playoff games.  Here's the source: http://www.footballdb.com/qb-records.html

I bring up the stat because there is no such thing as net wins or net points. I could say 6 net wins but it's a made up stat. Jets fans are making up Net points for the purposes of making it seem like Geno is actually tied with Mark. 

And I'm not gonna quote your other post but Geno was running with the 1's against DET. Going against their 2's actually. 

-You said he was capable of producing explosive plays

-dbatesman shows you that he was in the bottom quartile of all starting quarterbacks for adjusted net yards per attempt, for his first three years and then 34th in his fourth year starting in the league. 

-you counter by saying that Geno also has a poor resume, mentioning his 5 game stretch.

-Geno averaged 60% completion, 273 yards and a 2.4:1    td:int rate in his worst stretch.

Well played.

geno just isn't ready

simple

He may not be, but considering Marty said he couldn't use the first game as a viable form of evaluating, I think it's still premature to say that until we see him in live action.  I do believe sanchez will be starting the season, but I think once he plays in enough meaningful games for Marty and Rex to remember how terrible he is, it'll be Geno's turn.  Hopefully he's ready by then.

It's baffling, because his footwork, mechanics and intermediate game were supposed to be so well honed coming out of college I figured those would be his strong suits.  It's not his physical ability that I can't get behind, because he does show flashes, it's the mental errors that he makes whenever he's being pressured or is pressing; throwing into triple or quadruple coverage or throwing it to a lineman.  It bothers me, because regardless of what he says, it's not a mentality and every time he gets pressured, something happens and his better judgement vanishes. I would love for him to consistently put up points and have great games, I just don't have the faith in him not making these mental errors again.  It'd be one thing it he were like Favre and also had the ability to put the team on his back, I just haven't seen that yet.  

I just think lineman know that he is easily flustered and will give him a chance to make a play; I don't think his passes get intercepted by lineman anymore easily than others, it's just that he gives these guys more opportunities than the next QB.  If he stops making those throws and just throws it at their feet, this won't be an issue.  Granted Brady and Manning are a couple inches taller, but I've never seen their passes go into the chest of offensive lineman, especially twice in one game.  Who knows, I just hope he either figures it out or Geno can do better. 

So Mark is putting up points- when did this happen - we had one of the worst offenses last season and he had 26 turnovers for the opposing team. He had a TD in  a scrimmage - wow lets all rejoice

So Mark is putting up points- when did this happen - we had one of the worst offenses last season and he had 26 turnovers for the opposing team. He had a TD in  a scrimmage - wow lets all rejoice

Let sanchez start--and we will all be watching hockey after they go 1-5.  The seats will be half filled, and the concessions won't make a dime.  rex will get his ass fired.  which would not happen if he went 1-5 with geno.

Let 

Also: what?

I didn't say it clearly but Geno's college stats are NOT relevant. Neither are Mark's 34th ranking from 2012.  WE could bring them up but it's not relevant. It's 2013 and neither of those facts shed light on who should be starting QB today. If you want to talk about Mark's 2012 we could also talk about Geno's 2012. They kinda cancel each other out. Taking 2 safeties on xmas eve and national tv is similar to the buttfumble on thanksgiving. Both are atrocious football situations. 

I didn't say it clearly but Geno's college stats are NOT relevant. Neither are Mark's 34th ranking from 2012. WE could bring them up but it's not relevant. It's 2013 and neither of those facts shed light on who should be starting QB today. If you want to talk about Mark's 2012 we could also talk about Geno's 2012. They kinda cancel each other out. Taking 2 safeties on xmas eve and national tv is similar to the buttfumble on thanksgiving. Both are atrocious football situations.

Unfortunately, after 4+ years, neither is Mark.

At this point, if they feel that way about Geno, Mark would start simply because the Jets don't give a crap what happens to him and nothing more than that.  That still doesn't make Sanchez anything more than absolutely awful.

This is one of your better points.  

Hopefully better coaching (not Daboll, Schotty, or Sparano) can help him develop.  

I didn't say it clearly but Geno's college stats are NOT relevant. Neither are Mark's 34th ranking from 2012. WE could bring them up but it's not relevant. It's 2013 and neither of those facts shed light on who should be starting QB today. If you want to talk about Mark's 2012 we could also talk about Geno's 2012. They kinda cancel each other out. Taking 2 safeties on xmas eve and national tv is similar to the buttfumble on thanksgiving. Both are atrocious football situations.

If Neo could either save Trinity or save Zion, but the seven Neo's who came before all likewise chose incorrectly, why keep trying?

Archived