Landy Lange, Ryans Analysis: Geno Smith "Had a Really Bad Day"

flgreen

Ryan's Analysis: Geno Smith ‘Had a Really Bad Day’

Posted 12 minutes ago

Randy Lange Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar 

As head coach Rex Ryan said at today's news conference, "There's days guys dip some, but today was a bad day. There's no other way to put it."

Ryan wasn't talking about his players' choice of chaw. He was referring to rookie QB Geno Smith's just-concluded practice. In a word, said Rex:

"Brutal."

Smith, who went almost the first week of training camp at SUNY Cortland with crisp, accurate throws that were un-pick-able, finished the last public practice of camp today with four interceptions. His sore ankle still seemed to be bothering him, as did some technique issues. One of the picks was tipped by Ryan Spadola into the hands of free agent S Rontez Miles.

But with S Bret Lockett's interception during a late-practice hurryup drill, the head coach who is presiding over the Smith-Mark Sanchez competition to be the Jets' starting QB for the start of this season could soften Geno's showing only so much.

"These days happen, but you don't expect them to happen," Ryan said. "Obviously he has to come back from it and he will come back from it. But this was a really bad day for Geno."

Ryan had a few thoughts on what brought on Smith's struggles.

"I think there were a lot of things," he said. "Fundamentals, I think that contributed to it. He was late on a lot of throws today. There were some contributing things there."

Another thing being the ankle he rolled early in the third quarter at Detroit? Smith said right after practice that his ankle wasn't a factor in his practice. Ryan agreed that that sounded like bravado.

"The thing is, he's not using that as an excuse," the coach said. "To me, that's a positive thing. But you see him out there, he's not able to move like he can, not able to drive the ball like he can. That doesn't mean he's not competing. He's been out there every day. But he's not 100 percent."

CB Antonio Cromartie put today's practice aside in assessing what he's seen from No. 7 so far this camp.

"You see some mistakes, but that's just the learning curve," Cromartie said. "I've been impressed with him just picking up the offense, coming in and doing the things he can do. Right now he's playing through an ankle injury, and that's showing a lot, showing his competitive side and wanting to be out there."

Reporters' questions went from Smith's practice and his ankle to the starting assignment against Jacksonville at MetLife Stadium on Saturday night that's suddenly more up for grabs than ever this week. One practice throw won't decide the starter for the Jaguars or the Buccaneers on opening day, but in the same drill that Smith was picked by Lockett, Sanchez let a deep ball fly into the arms of his old reliable receiver from 2009-10, Braylon Edwards, who beat his man down the sideline.

"As of right now, we're not ready to say we're going with this guy or this guy," Ryan said about Saturday's starter, adding later, "We're hoping Geno's able to play and Mark's able to play and everything's the way we originally planned. But again, plans could alter. We'll lean on our trainers and everybody else on all injuries, not just Geno's.

"I think there's competition still at a lot of spots and there's still some time," Ryan said, stating the obvious but framing the time issue with three more preseason games to go. "Will it become more of a sense of urgency after this game? I would say so."

Geno Smith has "brutal" second-to-last day of training camp, says Rex Ryan

Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger By  Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger  

on August 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM, updated August 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM

CORTLAND, N.Y. – The Jets’ penultimate day of training camp Wednesday was a gray-sky, blustery afternoon with occasional spitting rain and temperatures in the upper 50s, though it certainly felt colder than that.

“It was a beautiful December day today,” coach Rex Ryan said afterward to open his press conference. “That, without question, had to be the coldest training camp day I’ve ever been a part of. That’s about 30 years worth. Man, that was chilly.”

And then came an amusing segue …

“Almost as chilly as the offensive performance today. Not a good day at all for the offense. Obviously, we’ve got to straighten a lot of things out before we play the game against Jacksonville. Disappointed. I thought we had been doing some good things out there.”

The Jets will hold a closed practice Thursday in Cortland, return home, do a walk-through Friday and host the Jaguars on Saturday night in the second preseason game. All eyes, once again, will be on quarterbacks Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith. The latter struggled mightily Wednesday, throwing three interceptions in team periods against the scout team defense, compared to zero picks for Sanchez against that group, as the Jets did a bunch of game plan installation for the second straight day.

Because Sanchez turned the ball over 26 times in each of the past two seasons, the Jets have put an emphasis during this camp on taking care of the ball. To that end, Ryan was not pleased with Smith’s performance – or lack thereof – on Wednesday.

“It was brutal,” Ryan said. “That was Geno’s worst day. Obviously, the ankle is part of it, but way too many picks. Did not look comfortable today. Obviously, he has to come back from it. He will come back from it. But it was a bad day. Guys have bad days, but this was a really bad day for Geno. It was a bad day today. There’s no other way to put it. It was a bad day. Was I disappointed he had the day like he did today? Absolutely. These days happen, but you don’t expect them to happen.”

Smith is still recovering from a sprained right ankle, suffered last Friday at Detroit. Smith has downplayed the injury ever since Sunday, the Jets’ first practice since the Detroit game. He hasn’t missed any practice time. After he limped noticeably on Sunday and Monday, he wasn’t as gimpy on Tuesday and Wednesday. After Wednesday’s practice, he said the injury hasn’t affected him, but Ryan knows it has.

“I don’t believe he’s close to 100 percent right now,” Ryan said. “That doesn’t mean (because) we have a few more days that it can’t get a lot better. We’ve seen these types of injuries get better in a hurry. So we’ll see how it goes.

“I think that’s bravado (when Smith said the injury isn’t affecting him). I don’t think there’s any doubt. Look, the fact is, he’s not using it as an excuse. To me, that’s a good thing. That’s a positive thing. But guys, you see it out there. He’s not able to move like he normally does. He’s not able to drive the ball like he normally does with his velocity. That doesn’t mean he still can’t get out there. He’s competing. He’s been out there every day. But is he 100 percent? I would say that he’s not 100 percent.”

Ryan won’t chat with reporters again until a Friday teleconference, when he presumably will name a starter for Saturday. Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said he didn’t get a complete evaluation of Smith from Detroit, because he wanted to get a look at other players in certain situations. The staff would like to get a better read on Smith against Jacksonville before determining who starts the Sept. 8 opener against Tampa Bay.

“To definitively win the job, there definitely needs to be more evidence,” Ryan said. “We’ve got to see more out of both guys to have a better answer at that spot.”

Ryan acknowledged that the health of Smith’s ankle will play a factor in determining who starts Saturday.

“I think that’s a big issue,” Ryan said of Smith’s ankle. “We’ll see how it goes. As of right now, we’re not ready to say that we’re going to go with this guy or this guy.”

Ryan said Saturday’s starter will not indicate who leads the competition. Sanchez started against Detroit. Ryan also said something that perked up ears in the press conference room: There is a chance that Smith doesn’t play at all against the Jaguars. But based on the fact that he hasn’t missed practices this week, that seems unlikely.

“He’s been out there practicing, working through things,” Ryan said. “That could be a possibility (that Smith might not play Saturday). We’ll see how he is and we’ll talk to the trainers. Right now, we’re hoping that Geno is able to play and Mark is able to play and everything is the way we originally planned. Our plans could alter.”

Ryan emphasized to reporters, “Guys, he’s been out there every day (practicing this week).”

In most situations, coaching staffs like to settle position battles after the second of four preseason games, so the starters can get most of the action in the third game. Ryan never expected this competition to end quickly.

“There’s still some time,” Ryan said. “Will it become more of a sense of urgency probably after this game? I would say so. I thought this was going to be a real competition and it wouldn’t be just solved after one week of a preseason game. I don’t know how many (quarterback competitions) are really decided after one preseason game. So I don’t think it’s a surprise that there’s not clarity at a number of positions, really.”

As for what caused Smith’s interceptions Wednesday, Ryan said, “I think there’s multiple things. Was it fundamentals? I believe that contributed to it. I also think he was late on a couple throws today. He missed a guy that was robbing from the back side one time.”

NOTES: Backup wide receiver Clyde Gates suffered a head injury Sunday and missed the next two days. He returned to practice Wednesday but was in a red (non-contact) jersey. “Gates looked like he did pretty good today,” Ryan said. … Running back Joe McKnight (head injury) was at practice, but did not dress. He wore red Sunday and Monday, but couldn’t finish Monday’s practice and had to be helped off. He didn’t attend practice Tuesday. McKnight is listed behind Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory, who returned this week from a hamstring injury, on the Jets’ latest depth chart, released Wednesday. “Still no update on Joe,” Ryan said. … Nose tackle Kenrick Ellis (back) missed a second straight day, but rode an exercise bike Wednesday. Sione Pouha, the Jets’ starting nose tackle last season, was limited by a back injury. But Ryan believes, at this point, that Ellis’ injury is not as serious as Pouha’s was. “I know it’s a day-to-day thing,” Ryan said of Ellis’ injury. “I’m certainly hopeful it’s not as bad as Sione’s was. That kept Sione out of a lot of training camp. To me, it’s just a day-to-day type injury.

watching the replay of that injury, it was surprising he was practicing at all this week. He sprained it wierd, bent the inside of the foot inward. That's not usually how people roll their ankles. Tough that he gutted it out but it looked like a multi-week injury when it happened. 

watching the replay of that injury, it was surprising he was practicing at all this week. He sprained it wierd, bent the inside of the foot inward. That's not usually how people roll their ankles. Tough that he gutted it out but it looked like a multi-week injury when it happened. 

I think they are being careful, but a lot of people also want him to win the job.  If he were already the defacto starting QB,  i bet he'd be resting that ankle instead of being forced to practice and maybe play the next game.  Lets hope the Jets and Geno are smart about it and aren't forcing their hand because they are so desperate to bench Sanchez, and the kid winds up getting injured again.

Ryan: Geno Smith has 'brutal' day

Updated: August 14, 2013, 2:11 PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- With one word, Rex Ryan changed the landscape of the New York Jets' quarterback competition.

After watching Geno Smith throw three interceptions Wednesday in a damp and chilly practice, Ryan was asked to assess the rookie's day.

"Brutal," Ryan said bluntly. That changes things.

AP Photo/Paul SancyaGeno Smith was 6-of-7 passing in brief action against the Lions before injuring his ankle, but he might not see action against the Jaguars due to that injury and Wednesday's shaky practice.

The Jets had hoped to name a starting quarterback after the second preseason game, but it looks as if that timetable could be pushed back.

Ryan still hasn't announced his starter for Saturday night against the Jacksonville Jaguars, but based on his harsh assessment of Smith and his belief that the former West Virginia still is hampered by an ankle injury, it looks like Mark Sanchez could get the call for the second straight week.

If that's the case, the quarterback competition might not be decided until after the third preseason game.

Smith, who suffered a mild sprain last Friday night in Detroit, hasn't missed a day of practice. But it was apparent Wednesday that he wasn't the same quarterback as he was earlier in camp.

"That was Geno's worst day, obviously," Ryan said. "The ankle is part of it. That's way too many picks. He didn't look comfortable today. It was a bad day. We've seen guys have bad days, but this was a really bad day.

"Was I disappointed that he had a day like today? Absolutely," Ryan continued. "These days happen, but you don't expect them to happen."

Ryan left open the possibility that Smith won't play Saturday night. Even if he does, it probably won't be a fair evaluation, considering his injury. For that reason, Ryan might be inclined to extend the competition another week.

Smith insisted his ankle was no factor in his poor day. "Not one bit," he said.

Smith offered a curious response when asked if he wants to start Saturday night.

"No comment," he said.

Smith completed six of seven passes for 47 yards in the preseason opener, but he played only 14 snaps. Presumably, the plan was to let him start the second game, working exclusively with the starters. But that doesn't appear likely.

Sanchez has created some separation from Smith on the practice field, but he hurt his chances with an interception that was returned for a touchdown against the Lions.

Ryan said he needs to see more from both quarterbacks.

"To definitely win the job, there needs to be more evidence," Ryan said, speaking of Smith. "We have to see more of both guys to have a better answer at this point."

Smith might sit preseason game vs. Jaguars after 'brutal' practice

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Posted: 1:57 PM, August 14, 2013

Geno Smith

Anthony J Causi

Geno Smith

CORTLAND – Jets coach Rex Ryan said it is a “possibility” that rookie quarterback Geno Smith will not play in Saturday’s preseason game with the Jaguars at MetLife Stadium.

Smith sprained his right ankle last Friday against the Lions, but has practiced all week on the ankle. Ryan has been non-committal about who will start Saturday night and said Smith’s ankle is a factor. When he was asked if Smith might not play, Ryan did not rule it out.

“I guess we’ll see how it goes,” Ryan said. “He’s been out there practicing working through things. I don’t want to get into the what-ifs and all that. I guess that could be a possibility.”

Smith had his worst practice of training camp. Between team and 7-on-7 drills, Smith threw four interceptions on a cold, rainy day here.

“It was brutal,” Ryan said. “That was Geno’s worst day. Obviously, the ankle is part of it. But way too many picks and things. He did not look comfortable today. Obviously, he has to come back from it and he will come back from it. It was a bad day. … This was a really bad day for Geno.”

Ryan said Smith’s ankle was clearly a factor in his performance in practice.

“I don’t believe he’s close to 100 percent right now,” Ryan said. “That doesn’t mean, we have a few more days, that it can’t get a lot better. We’ve seen these types of injuries get better in a hurry.

“You see it out there. He’s not able to move like he normally does. He’s not able to drive the ball like he normally does.”

Ryan has repeatedly said the ankle injury will play a role in the decision who to start Saturday night. But the only way the ankle should be a part of the decision is if Smith not playing at all is being debated. Why would his ankle affect whether he faces the Jaguars first-team or second-team defense?

Ryan would not answer a question about how the decision on a regular season starter would be affected by Smith not playing Saturday.

“If that’s what happens we’ll address it then,” Ryan said. “Certainly we’re not thinking about this right now. We’re assuming … we’re hoping that Geno is able to play, that Mark is able to play and everything’s the way we originally planned.”

Read more: Smith might sit preseason game vs. Jaguars after 'brutal' practice http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/smith_might_sit_preseason_game_vs_qNZlmoB9cT0JrwYTKc9xII#ixzz2byDVUTry

Hey no one can spin it 4 int's in one practice is brutal-I believe that the ankle had some what an effect on him though- no excuses  though.

Of course Rex never called Mark's play brutal when it has been.

Hey no one can spin it 4 int's in one practice is brutal-I believe that the ankle had some what an effect on him though- no excuses  though.

Of course Rex never called Mark's play brutal when it has been.

Honestly, I cant recall the presser or situation but I'm pretty sure he's called one of Mark's performance's awful and that you cant win in the league with that type of QB play.  He gave 1st team reps to Brunnel once, and I remember when we got smoked by the Pats he said something along the lines of you see what having a HOF QB does for your team comparing them to the Jets. 

Rex has been critical of Sanchez.  Everyone just ignores it because of last seasons mantra of "Mark gives us the best chance to win", in which he was telling the truth. 

Geno Smith May Not Play on Saturday Night vs Jaguars

Aug 14th, 2013 at 2:50 pm by Alan SchechterJets

Now this might be an interesting turn of events.

We have known that Geno Smith, despite rolling his ankle on Friday night, has not missed any practice time. Does that mean he is going to start on Saturday night?

We don’t know. Actually, we don’t know if Geno is even going to play.

Geno had a practice today that coach Ryan addressed as “brutal”. He went on, when asked about Saturday night, to tell the press that Geno’s ankle is not close to 100%. As such, it is not out of the question that he won’t play at all in the game against Jacksonville.

Obviously, this won’t bode will for Geno as far as his standing in the quarterback competition, which will not delight many members of the fan base. But, it also brings up another question. If his ankle is as not ready as Rex says, why was he practicing all week?

Shouldn’t he have been given time off to rest the ankle?

Honestly, I cant recall the presser or situation but I'm pretty sure he's called one of Mark's performance's awful and that you cant win in the league with that type of QB play.  He gave 1st team reps to Brunnel once, and I remember when we got smoked by the Pats he said something along the lines of you see what having a HOF QB does for your team comparing them to the Jets. 

Rex has been critical of Sanchez.  Everyone just ignores it because of last seasons mantra of "Mark gives us the best chance to win", in which he was telling the truth. 

No he hasn't, shut up!

I've never heard  or at least remember Rex ever once criticizing Mark's play by name, only saying things like "yea, we can't keep giving the ball to the other team," or "those turnovers really killed us." I know he's a players coach, but all I can remember is after the Tennessee game when we were eliminated from the playoffs and Mark threw 4 ints (one into triple coverage and another into quadruple coverage) and a fumble, all Rex said was that tennessee made some great plays and the defense couldn't stop them when it counted; yet they allowed 20 or whatever points and gave them the ball back 5 times.  The only negative thing Rex said all week was that the turnovers hurt and GMC wound up being the starter.  Sanchez threw 1 td to something like 8 ints and 150 yds passing per in his last four games and Rex and the media wonder why we can't get behind this guy. He's abysmal and yet I've never heard works like "brutal, awful or terrible day about him," yet that kid did it in games that actually matter.

I've never heard  or at least remember Rex ever once criticizing Mark's play by name, only saying things like "yea, we can't keep giving the ball to the other team," or "those turnovers really killed us." I know he's a players coach, but all I can remember is after the Tennessee game when we were eliminated from the playoffs and Mark threw 4 ints (one into triple coverage and another into quadruple coverage) and a fumble, all Rex said was that tennessee made some great plays and the defense couldn't stop them when it counted; yet they allowed 20 or whatever points and gave them the ball back 5 times.  The only negative thing Rex said all week was that the turnovers hurt and GMC wound up being the starter.  Sanchez threw 1 td to something like 8 ints and 150 yds passing per in his last four games and Rex and the media wonder why we can't get behind this guy. He's abysmal and yet I've never heard works like "brutal, awful or terrible day about him," yet that kid did it in games that actually matter.

See above, he referred to a play by Mark as "the stupidest thing in the history of Football".

You guys all have very selective memories. 

See above, he referred to a play by Mark as "the stupidest thing in the history of Football".

You guys all have very selective memories. 

It's not selective, I'm not choosing to forget it, it just gets drowned out by all of the hand-holding Rex has done after countless abysmal performances by Mark.  The point remains though; he seems overly-complimentary and less harsh of Mark and seemingly always will. I don't care he's a players coach, I just somewhat worry that he might hesitate to pull the trigger if Mark pulls that same sh*t again.  I mean christ, we still could have made the playoffs and in his last 5 games mark threw for under 100 yards in the zona game and turned the ball over 13 times while only getting into the end-zone twice.  I know our offense sucks, but 13 turnovers in 5 games? We could have ran it three times in a row and punted and done better. 

everyone wants to talk about Rex's reaction to geno's play. no one wants to talk about geno's play. 

I'm indirectly talking about Geno's play, it was a bad practice.

The news here is that Rex is being critical of his non-guy, while Sanchez is given the golden ticket to starting job rage JIF is a girl RRRAAAAOOOOOAAAARRRRR!!!! 

... and stuff.

After the buttfumble game, he said "Mark had a 94 quarterback rating. I thought he threw the ball well."

After the buttfumble game, he said "Mark had a 94 quarterback rating. I thought he threw the ball well."

Completed over 70% of his passes, 3rd time in his career and over 300 yards, thats a first for him so....that, in fact, is throwing the ball very well for Mark Sanchez.

But more to the point, clearly Rex has spent a lot of time defending Mark, but acting like he's never been critical of Mark, which a couple of posters were saying, is just flat out not true.

Geno is the red headed step child in this race. Rex wants to have smex with consuela

Meh, you like hairy bush, I like shaved.  Both stink once you pound them long enough.

(not sure what that has do with your quote but I like it)

he injured it running, all by himself.  spin it anyway you want, it was a spazz move

If Sanchez had equally as bad a day, Rex would be sugar-coating it.

Rex's inability to be unbiased is alarming.

This, I was thinking to myself "has he ever bashed Sanchez play publicly?"

Not good @ all. 

Archived