the truth about John "the cap guy" Idzik

Larz

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth".

I'm getting sick of hacks like Gary Myers last night calling Idzik a cap guy and saying everybody else hires candidates that "grew up" in personnel departments.

so who is this Idzik guy ?

1) a coaches son.  His dad John Sr. played college football at Maryland.  He was a back.

His father coached in college, the NFL and the CFL.  Sr. was the Head coach at the University of Detroit.  John Idzik Sr. coached in the NFL from 1966 to 1981.  He even coached on the New York Jets.  John Sr. coached Richard Todd and Matt Robinson.  I wonder if Myers and Mehta even know that.  But what do coaches know about football ?  they aren't scouts.  Only scouts understand football. John Jr. was born into a home where daddy coached football.  Yet he didn't "grow up in personnel", so he is ignorant on what makes a player any good

2) He Played college football.  He was a WR at Dartmouth.  Oh, and while at Dartmouth, he graduated Magna Cum Laude.  But what do former players/coaches with the brains to graduate an Ivy league school with honors know about football ?  Only scouts understand football.

3) He coached college football. He coached WR's at UB.  Not the most glamorous job, but a coaching job.  

4) He did work in a personnel department.  He began to "grow up" as a personnel asst with the Bucs.  instead of laboring there for 10 years like all good candidates, he was quickly promoted to director of football administration 3 years later.  So this cap guy who didn't grow up in personnel actually did grow up in personnel.  Weird.

so any time you hear the media pushing the agenda, just remember, it's all lies, bullcrap and half truths.

the truth is he is a perfect candidate.  He grew up in a football house, he played football, coached football, and worked in a personnel department before learning the business side of the NFL.  

Who knows what kind of success he'll have here, but he is not just a cap guy.  Remember, that's mehta and cimini and myers pushing a narrative.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth".

I'm getting sick of hacks like Gary Myers last night calling Idzik a cap guy and saying everybody else hires candidates that "grew up" in personnel departments.

so who is this Idzik guy ?

1) a coaches son.  His dad John Sr. played college football at Maryland.  He was a back.

His father coached in college, the NFL and the CFL.  Sr. was the Head coach at the University of Detroit.  John Idzik Sr. coached in the NFL from 1966 to 1981.  He even coached on the New York Jets.  John Sr. coached Richard Todd and Matt Robinson.  I wonder if Myers and Mehta even know that.  But what do coaches know about football ?  they aren't scouts.  Only scouts understand football. John Jr. was born into a home where daddy coached football.  Yet he didn't "grow up in personnel", so he is ignorant on what makes a player any good

2) He Played college football.  He was a WR at Dartmouth.  Oh, and while at Dartmouth, he graduated Magna Cum Laude.  But what do former players/coaches with the brains to graduate an Ivy league school with honors know about football ?  Only scouts understand football.

3) He coached college football. He coached WR's at UB.  Not the most glamorous job, but a coaching job.  

4) He did work in a personnel department.  He began to "grow up" as a personnel asst with the Bucs.  instead of laboring there for 10 years like all good candidates, he was quickly promoted to director of football administration 3 years later.  So this cap guy who didn't grow up in personnel actually did grow up in personnel.  Weird.

so any time you hear the media pushing the agenda, just remember, it's all lies, bullcrap and half truths.

the truth is he is a perfect candidate.  He grew up in a football house, he played football, coached football, and worked in a personnel department before learning the business side of the NFL.  

Who knows what kind of success he'll have here, but he is not just a cap guy.  Remember, that's mehta and cimini and myers pushing a narrative.

Why do you listen to Gary Myers.  Does this guy look like he has any first hand football knowledge?  He is the guy the jocks pushed into a locker in high school.  lol

He is a cap business guy that's what he did the majority of his career . Being a coaches son doesn't mean ur a personal guy !! Personal people live it it's a all consuming job .

You might have a point.

Being a coach's son and playing and coaching football in college means you know football.  Being a personnel guy means you have an encylopedic knowledge of all the good players in college and the pro's.  Two different sets of knowledge.

Why do you listen to Gary Myers.  Does this guy look like he has any first hand football knowledge?  He is the guy the jocks pushed into a locker in high school.  lol

Exactly.  I'd like to know how Myers ever got a job as a sports writer, much less keeps one.  He is the least knowledgeable sports writer I have ever seen.

He is a cap business guy that's what he did the majority of his career . Being a coaches son doesn't mean ur a personal guy !! Personal people live it it's a all consuming job .

he lived it for 3 yeas and was promoted. He then learned the business side.  You are conveniently leaving out that he played football and coached it.  He's done everything you can do in football.  I would rather have a guy is consistently promoted and has seen every side of the game than a lifer scout.  there is a reason someone is a lifer, they don't have the skill set to grow

I'm not saying that this is the case with Idzik, but it's entirely possible that he was "promoted" (aka "kicked upstairs") because he didn't have an eye for talent, yet showed that he was smart, understood the game, and was very organized, so they thought that he would be a better administrative type.    Organizational/Administrative skills are very different from those of someone who is adept at spotting talent.

Calling him a cap guy in the mold of Tannenbaum is simplistic and unfair, but he's still not a personnel guy, either.

I agree with this.  I think if you look at the organizational structure where you have "God" GM like parcells who has total control and answers to no one, I could see the temptation to go with a guy who has more of a scouting background.  BUT those guys always have a capologist to work out all those annoying NFL cap rules. You still have more than one guy essentially running the team

If you have a traditional GM who is the boss, but who actually works with the personnel department and the coaching staff, and takes input on player evaluation, you can't have a better background than a guy who grew up a coaches son, played football, coached it, worked in personnel, then learned the business side.  You still have more than one guy essentially running the team.

as fans we never know who really has final say, and the owners have more input than any of us would rather admit to, but all I'm saying is the anti- Jets narrative is getting old real fast, and the hacks simply are telling big fat lies about Idzik

I'm not saying that this is the case with Idzik, but it's entirely possible that he was "promoted" (aka "kicked upstairs") because he didn't have an eye for talent, yet showed that he was smart, understood the game, and was very organized, so they thought that he would be a better administrative type.    Organizational/Administrative skills are very different from those of someone who is adept at spotting talent.

therein lies the rub with NFL front offices. Is it better to have a scout as GM who doesn't know the cap and how to negotiate ?  Terry Bradway ?

Is there a single man out there who has a scouts eye and a intricate knowledge of cap rules who can call an agents bluff when a star player is holding out and do live interviews with fatcessa without killing him ?  You might be tempted to say parcells, but I would direct you to the first 2 drafts he had here with the jets.  They were both disasters.  total unmitigated failures.  

so at the end of the day you have more than 2 guys running the team.  I'd say if you count the owner its around 4 guys. (owner, GM, HC, scouting guy)

I think the best organizations have a collaborative approach.  Going with the "God" approach also leaves you extremely vulnerable to when that god decides its time to move on.  You wind up starting over from scratch. 

therein lies the rub with NFL front offices. Is it better to have a scout as GM who doesn't know the cap and how to negotiate ?  Terry Bradway ?

Is there a single man out there who has a scouts eye and a intricate knowledge of cap rules who can call an agents bluff when a star player is holding out and do live interviews with fatcessa without killing him ?  You might be tempted to say parcells, but I would direct you to the first 2 drafts he had here with the jets.  They were both disasters.  total unmitigated failures.  

so at the end of the day you have more than 2 guys running the team.  I'd say if you count the owner its around 4 guys. (owner, GM, HC, scouting guy)

I think the best organizations have a collaborative approach.  Going with the "God" approach also leaves you extremely vulnerable to when that god decides its time to move on.  You wind up starting over from scratch. 

Good  points, especially your last one.  They are differing skills, and few have them all.  That's why there are so many mediocre GMs in the NFL.  

The one point where I might quibble with the above is having more than one guy running the team.  That can make things onerous and difficult, if not contentious.  OTOH, if you have a GM who's very good with the cap and at negotiating deals (both with players and other teams), but not so great with personnel, if he has too strong an ego, he may not listen to his Personnel/Scouting people (kind of like Jerry Jones in Dallas, although he's the owner).  In that scenario, it would be better to have some checks and balances of not having one boss, but having different people being in charge over specific areas of the team.

Parcells definitely sucked buying the groceries.

Notice I didn't say that I thought that was true with Idzik, just possible.  For the most part, I think he's done a good job so far.  I also agree with you regarding the hacks who cover the Jets, their lack of integrity and the lies they keep spouting.

Good  points, especially your last one.  They are differing skills, and few have them all.  That's why there are so many mediocre GMs in the NFL.  

The one point where I might quibble with the above is having more than one guy running the team.  That can make things onerous and difficult, if not contentious.  OTOH, if you have a GM who's very good with the cap and at negotiating deals (both with players and other teams), but not so great with personnel, if he has too strong an ego, he may not listen to his Personnel/Scouting people (kind of like Jerry Jones in Dallas, although he's the owner).  In that scenario, it would be better to have some checks and balances of not having one boss, but having different people being in charge over specific areas of the team.

Parcells definitely sucked buying the groceries.

Notice I didn't say that I thought that was true with Idzik, just possible.  For the most part, I think he's done a good job so far.  I also agree with you regarding the hacks who cover the Jets, their lack of integrity and the lies they keep spouting.

the really interesting part of the ego-clash that inevitably happens is that according to his bio, idziks father had a falling out when he was an assistant coach with the HC and it cost him his job basically

At Ottawa, he served as the backfield and top assistant coach under head coach Chan Caldwell. The two personalities clashed however, which resulted in Idzik's dismissal midseason in October.[7] The disagreements, over play-calling and which players to dress, began after the first preseason game in early August and resulted in three meetings between the parties and the club management, the last of which was called at the request of the team's players.[7] Idzik accepted payment of a year's salary of $7,000 upon his termination.[9]

I wonder how long before mehta brings in this plot line, lol

I am really looking forward to the day I can read a paper and read basically positive things about my jets, and have it be the truth

the really interesting part of the ego-clash that inevitably happens is that according to his bio, idziks father had a falling out when he was an assistant coach with the HC and it cost him his job basically

At Ottawa, he served as the backfield and top assistant coach under head coach Chan Caldwell. The two personalities clashed however, which resulted in Idzik's dismissal midseason in October.[7] The disagreements, over play-calling and which players to dress, began after the first preseason game in early August and resulted in three meetings between the parties and the club management, the last of which was called at the request of the team's players.[7] Idzik accepted payment of a year's salary of $7,000 upon his termination.[9]

I wonder how long before mehta brings in this plot line, lol

I am really looking forward to the day I can read a paper and read basically positive things about my jets, and have it be the truth

I'll drink to that, especially the last six words.

3 yrs working in a personal dept doesn't mean ur a personal guy ! If u asked most NFL execs they would prob consider him a cap guy cause that's what he has done prob 90 % of his career . It's not a big deal as long as it works . It's quite simple if in 3 yrs we are in the same place he will be gone and it doesn't matter if ur a cap guy or a personal guy !

3 yrs working in a personal dept doesn't mean ur a personal guy ! If u asked most NFL execs they would prob consider him a cap guy cause that's what he has done prob 90 % of his career . It's not a big deal as long as it works . It's quite simple if in 3 yrs we are in the same place he will be gone and it doesn't matter if ur a cap guy or a personal guy !

That's "personnel" not "personal".

FYI guys Tanny also worked in the personnel dept in New Orleans and Cleveland and I wouldn't consider him a personnel guy.

You don't need to post here anymore if you don't want.  This is a site for Jets fans.  If all you're going to do is troll every thread you post in your presence isn't necessary, and you can go post on a site of a team you're a fan of instead.

Idzik is going to have two major issues in NY. The first is that people are soon going to realize he is not much different than what the Jets already had in terms of cap management. Not that its a bad thing but people killed Tannenbaum towards the end and hes the same kind of guy. Look at the Seattle contracts given to guys like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, and even Marshawn Lynch. These were wild contracts for questionable guys. Lynch worked out but they paid him ridiculous money for what he had done leading up to that. They dont believe in the offseason stuff the same way and wont get as complex as the Revis stuff, but the general theme is the same. Over-valuations of questionable talent. If they didnt land Russell Wilson in the draft last year Idzik is probably not a GM in the league, but Wilson got the Seahawks front office noticed everywhere. Without him they would have been a strong defensive team that finished 7-9.  That doesnt get anyone a new job.

The bigger issue is that he is Mangini level secretive and you have already seen the press start to turn on him for that. He basically wouldnt let reporters report during camp. Florham Park is back to being the Fortress of Solitude. Mangini only survived as long as he did because he won in 2006. But the way he has run the team so far has had people skip the honeymoon period and basically treat him the same way they would have treated Tannenbaum if he was still here. Thats why you are reading articles about how he did nothing to help the team, picked up dud QBs, whiffed on his RB contracts, etc...He doesnt need to be like Rex by any means but I think he needs to adjust to NY and the expectations of those who are fans of the team. 

Idzik is going to have two major issues in NY. The first is that people are soon going to realize he is not much different than what the Jets already had in terms of cap management. Not that its a bad thing but people killed Tannenbaum towards the end and hes the same kind of guy. Look at the Seattle contracts given to guys like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, and even Marshawn Lynch. These were wild contracts for questionable guys. Lynch worked out but they paid him ridiculous money for what he had done leading up to that. They dont believe in the offseason stuff the same way and wont get as complex as the Revis stuff, but the general theme is the same. Over-valuations of questionable talent. If they didnt land Russell Wilson in the draft last year Idzik is probably not a GM in the league, but Wilson got the Seahawks front office noticed everywhere. Without him they would have been a strong defensive team that finished 7-9.  That doesnt get anyone a new job.

The bigger issue is that he is Mangini level secretive and you have already seen the press start to turn on him for that. He basically wouldnt let reporters report during camp. Florham Park is back to being the Fortress of Solitude. Mangini only survived as long as he did because he won in 2006. But the way he has run the team so far has had people skip the honeymoon period and basically treat him the same way they would have treated Tannenbaum if he was still here. Thats why you are reading articles about how he did nothing to help the team, picked up dud QBs, whiffed on his RB contracts, etc...He doesnt need to be like Rex by any means but I think he needs to adjust to NY and the expectations of those who are fans of the team. 

Unbelievable.  Tranny spoke to everyone to get his name on the back pages to satisfy his ego and it didn't help the team one bit.  He allowed Rex to make a circus of the Jets.  Idzik eschews the spotlight and does his work behind the scenes, brings some class and intelligence to the team and you kill him for that and make snide comments like "Fortress of Solitude" and saying he wouldn't "let reporters report"?  Even hacks like Mehta and Cimini didn't accuse Idzik of that.  You call yourself a Jets fan? Unreal.  Some Jets fans.  With an attitude like that you deserve the circus and an 0-16 record every year.

Idzik is going to have two major issues in NY. The first is that people are soon going to realize he is not much different than what the Jets already had in terms of cap management. Not that its a bad thing but people killed Tannenbaum towards the end and hes the same kind of guy. Look at the Seattle contracts given to guys like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, and even Marshawn Lynch. These were wild contracts for questionable guys. Lynch worked out but they paid him ridiculous money for what he had done leading up to that. They dont believe in the offseason stuff the same way and wont get as complex as the Revis stuff, but the general theme is the same. Over-valuations of questionable talent. If they didnt land Russell Wilson in the draft last year Idzik is probably not a GM in the league, but Wilson got the Seahawks front office noticed everywhere. Without him they would have been a strong defensive team that finished 7-9. That doesnt get anyone a new job.

If the defense falls apart and the offenese doesn't compensate, this guy is going to be rememebered about as well as Jimmy Carter.

Bingo!  Gary Myers was also the one who (at the time) excoriated the Jets for not drafting Matt Leinart.  I rest my case.

Unbelievable.  Tranny spoke to everyone to get his name on the back pages to satisfy his ego and it didn't help the team one bit.  He allowed Rex to make a circus of the Jets.  Idzik eschews the spotlight and does his work behind the scenes, brings some class and intelligence to the team and you kill him for that and make snide comments like "Fortress of Solitude" and saying he wouldn't "let reporters report"?  Even hacks like Mehta and Cimini didn't accuse Idzik of that.  You call yourself a Jets fan? Unreal.  Some Jets fans.  With an attitude like that you deserve the circus and an 0-16 record every year.

You're a bit off-base here.  I didn't read any of this as snide, he didn't say "let reporters report" anywhere in his post, and he certainly doesn't crave any circus from anything I've read by him (including the business-like way he conducts himself as a fan).

When Tannenbaum and Mangini first started out here they were both very tight-lipped about the team. That's the reference to Florham Park being "back" to being the Fortress of Solitude (even though we were at Hofstra back in '06); that's what it was in Tannenbaum's first year as GM. The media was brutal to both Tannenbaum and Mangini and even the players they brought in, where at one point a douchebag like Cannizzaro writing a smear piece on D'Brickashaw for having some fun with the reporters by running from them while laughing in his first camp as a rookie.  

Slowly they adapted to the job (well Tannenbaum did) in that they realized if you ignore the media, and they have less info to write about, then they'll fill their columns with hit pieces on the GM and/or HC. Talk about a reversal, the team went from being info Lock down Tannenbaum first year to doing Hard Knocks in just a few seasons.

The "need to adjust" Jason's speaking of is looking at it as self-preservation from Idzik's POV. He'll learn that, particularly when the team is going to do poorly in a rebuilding season like this one, if left to their own devices the media's going to rip the team for doing poorly and the GM who put Nice Rex the Human Media Soundbite in the position to fail and get fired.  It's bad PR for Idzik to do a total media shutout.  If they win, it won't matter.  If they don't, he'll be painted as enemy #1.  I read his post and took it exactly in that way.

FYI (since I figure from your post you just didn't realize) Jason is the lousy Jets fan that has compiled the cheat sheets for the Jets salary cap that all of us - including all the team's beat writers - have used for several years. He also writes some articles that break down film and drafts as well from time to time.  He's also a hell of a nice guy despite having his work stolen outright by web competitors, or not even having the courtesy of a reference by thousands of fans and dozens (now probably hundreds) of beat reporters.

Here's the old Jets cap site:  http://www.nyjetscap.com/

Here's the new one that also has this work done for every team: http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2013

I can't imagine how many hours this took to mass together (not to mention publish & keep it looking orderly on a website).

I wish we had more Jets fans like Jason.  Hell, I wish there was even one more like him.

Idzik is going to have two major issues in NY. The first is that people are soon going to realize he is not much different than what the Jets already had in terms of cap management. Not that its a bad thing but people killed Tannenbaum towards the end and hes the same kind of guy. Look at the Seattle contracts given to guys like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, and even Marshawn Lynch. These were wild contracts for questionable guys. Lynch worked out but they paid him ridiculous money for what he had done leading up to that. They dont believe in the offseason stuff the same way and wont get as complex as the Revis stuff, but the general theme is the same. Over-valuations of questionable talent.

What do you think about the Ivory trade and Goodson deal?

Idzik is going to have two major issues in NY. The first is that people are soon going to realize he is not much different than what the Jets already had in terms of cap management. Not that its a bad thing but people killed Tannenbaum towards the end and hes the same kind of guy. Look at the Seattle contracts given to guys like Sidney Rice, Zach Miller, and even Marshawn Lynch. These were wild contracts for questionable guys. Lynch worked out but they paid him ridiculous money for what he had done leading up to that. They dont believe in the offseason stuff the same way and wont get as complex as the Revis stuff, but the general theme is the same. Over-valuations of questionable talent. If they didnt land Russell Wilson in the draft last year Idzik is probably not a GM in the league, but Wilson got the Seahawks front office noticed everywhere. Without him they would have been a strong defensive team that finished 7-9. That doesnt get anyone a new job.

In fairness, the success or failure of any GM regime depends on that GM finding Russell Wilson, or Andrew Luck, or Eli Manning, or Tom Brady. Otherwise, it's hard to guess that Idzik will be just like Tannenbaum, or John Schneider for that matter. We'll have to wait until next season when he has to go buy the groceries to get a feel for his overall approach.

I gotta wholly disagree with you here. Coughlin and Jerry Reese spit on the beat guys that cover the Giants and those beat guys happily write that it was raining. If Mehta pulled his crap on the Giants beat, Pat Hanlon would bury him in the Meadowlands marsh. It's alright to limit media access as long as you win every so often. What you're seeing from the Jets beat guys is sour grapes. They've been spoiled so long by the open faucet of information that was Rex and Tannenbaum that this culture change is making them work a lot harder, and the stories you're reading are the expressions of that frustration. Idzik doesn't owe Mehta, Cimini, or the fans anything as long as he wins.

I gotta wholly disagree with you here. Coughlin and Jerry Reese spit on the beat guys that cover the Giants and those beat guys happily write that it was raining. If Mehta pulled his crap on the Giants beat, Pat Hanlon would bury him in the Meadowlands marsh. It's alright to limit media access as long as you win every so often. What you're seeing from the Jets beat guys is sour grapes. They've been spoiled so long by the open faucet of information that was Rex and Tannenbaum that this culture change is making them work a lot harder, and the stories you're reading are the expressions of that frustration. Idzik doesn't owe Mehta, Cimini, or the fans anything as long as he wins.

I'm sure if Mehta or Cimini had to cover the Giants, they'd write garbage about them as well.  

You're also wrong about the Giants in that Coughlin has received plenty of bad press.  Reading plenty of (let's call them "unflattering") articles and seeing enough unflattering interviews/coverage by those covering the Giants, are the reasons every Giants fan knew to expect him to get fired, before winning the SB (and again before winning his second one).  Then after SB wins they back off as though they never had a hard-on to have this guy fired.

I'm sure if Mehta or Cimini had to cover the Giants, they'd write garbage about them as well.

You're also wrong about the Giants in that Coughlin has received plenty of bad press. Reading plenty of (let's call them "unflattering") articles and seeing enough unflattering interviews/coverage by those covering the Giants, are the reasons every Giants fan knew to expect him to get fired, before winning the SB (and again before winning his second one). Then after SB wins they back off as though they never had a hard-on to have this guy fired.

Mehta or Cimini would be routed off the Giants beat which is why Cimini never got the Giants beat despite begging for it for twenty years. Mehta is supposed to be an all-NFL reporter this season and he's spent exactly three days at Giants camp. The Giants don't play that sh*t. Even the Fire Coughlin storyline was restricted to his win-loss record. The Jets beat, historically, has been treated as the Circus Beat, and they bitched about Parcells and Mangini the same way. It's an entirely different job than the Giants beat.

Archived