Holmes Tells Teammates "I can Play"

flgreen

Holmes tells teammates, “I can play”

Posted by Mike Florio on August 20, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT

HolmesGetty Images

The Jets still don’t have a timetable for the return of receiver Santonio Holmes.  If Holmes had his way, the would be right now.

“He definitely wants to get back as soon as possible,” receiver Stephen Hill said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.  “If he could have played on Saturday, he would have played.  He kept saying, ‘I can play. I can play.’  But we’re just like, ‘Look, Tone….’”

Holmes ran routes during pregame warmups prior to the preseason contest against the Jaguars, with Geno Smith throwing the passes.

“He looked pretty good,” Smith said of Holmes.  “He was running pretty fast. He’s always had good hands, but he doesn’t look to be slowed down at all.”

The development comes in the wake of speculation that Holmes is milking a foot injury that was suffered in September 2012.  The Jets privately have denied any suggestion that Holmes is taking advantage of the situation.

Really, he has no reason to lollygag.  Though his $7.5 million salary for 2013 is fully guaranteed, neither the Jets will pay the $9.5 million he’s due to earn in 2014 unless he has a huge season.  And he can’t have a huge season if he isn’t playing.

would be very nice to have him for week 1!!!!

You know Schiano is going to trot Revis out there as a decoy, probably still not at 100%, in hopes we just avoid his side of the field. We should throw Holmes out there to line up across from them, also not at 100%, then they can cancel each other out. THIS IS HOW CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE WON!!! 

You know Schiano is going to trot Revis out there as a decoy, probably still not at 100%, in hopes we just avoid his side of the field. We should throw Holmes out there to line up across from them, also not at 100%, then they can cancel each other out. THIS IS HOW CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE WON!!! 

Revis looked very good in lateral drills before we traded him.  very good.  If they put revis on holmes, yeah, that will give kerley and hill a better chance.

He's an instant upgrade to the receiving corps. Holmes, Hill and Kerley actually isn't too shabby.

It really isnt...especially with the way Gates seems to be improving.  Throw in the veteran options of Obamanu and Edwards...its really not terrible.  And Winslow has looked sharp and Cumberland seems to be taking another step.

If only they had a QB, maybe the offense would be bearable. 

It really isnt...especially with the way Gates seems to be improving.  Throw in the veteran options of Obamanu and Edwards...its really not terrible.  And Winslow has looked sharp and Cumberland seems to be taking another step.

If only they had a QB, maybe the offense would be bearable. 

You forgot Chrebet 2.0

Him too.  Its not terrible.  I actually think these guys can, like, get open and stuff.  If a QB can actually get the ball to them is a different story.

that plus an OC that designs plays for them to get open should put our O in a decent position.  lets see what the QB can do      /shudder

Him too.  Its not terrible.  I actually think these guys can, like, get open and stuff.  If a QB can actually get the ball to them is a different story.

So basically, the problem is as it's been all along... the QB.

Holmes being Holmes. Basically saying he'll play whenever he f*cking feels like it.

http://m.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/holmes_says_jets_nowhere_near_ready_5u0IyQwXnIQ2Z66QBZqiNI

Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes is still unsure when he'll be able to return to the field.

Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes continues to paint a pessimistic picture of when he will return to the team.

Holmes said his surgically repaired left foot continues to give him pain and he remains unable to run any passing routes.

The 29-year-old receiver suffered a Lisfranc injury 11 months ago that required two surgeries. He remains unsure if he will play at all this season.

“I don’t know how to answer that question as far as missing the whole season,” Holmes said. “We have 16 weeks of football. At any point, I could be ready to play and if not I’d be willing to accept it.”

Holmes did some running and pass catching on the field before the Jets’ preseason game with the Jaguars last week. Some saw that as a sign Holmes could be back sooner than expected, but he said that is not the case.

“What you seen on Saturday at the game wasn’t anything in particular extra,” Holmes said. “It was just giving it a try and seeing what I can do. Up until this point, I still haven’t done anything else.”

With 2 ½ weeks to go before the Jets open the regular season against the Buccaneers, Holmes was asked if it is not realistic to expect him to be ready by then.

“Not really,” Holmes said. “I still haven’t counted down the weeks at all. I’m more excited that the season is here for the team and not just for myself.”

He was asked if he is holding out hope to play in Week 1.

“Why would I hold out anything? If I can go, I will go. If I can’t, I can’t,” Holmes said.

He said the foot hurts him every morning when he wakes up.

“I can’t pinpoint a day when it will feel better because every day has been the same up until this point,” he said. “ I feel good some days. I don’t the others. This pain won’t go away. It’s something I can’t predict because I have to get up and I have to run. I have to cut. I have to put pressure on it and apply as much pressure as I can to run routes and to feel comfortable.”

General manager John Idzik sounded optimistic earlier this week about Holmes returning to practice. Coach Rex Ryan has said that Holmes is in great shape.

Holmes was asked about Ryan praising the way he has looked and said don’t be fooled.

“Looks can be deceiving,” Holmes said. “I say that with a smile because if I actually felt as good as I look I’d definitely be 100 percent ready.”

Archived