Rex Ryan's pros outweigh his cons.

Jetsfan80

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex needed a real OC (just like many offensive-minded coaches need a real DC).  I think he has one now.

He needed a real QB.  He may or may not have one in the making.  But every successful HC needs one regardless.

He also needs a clock coach who will also advise on challenges.  I wish he didn't but he does.  It's infuriating.

So the last thing is what he really needs and then we're good.  It's a minor hire, but one the team should make.

Rex needed a real OC (just like many offensive-minded coaches need a real DC).  I think he has one now.

He needed a real QB.  He may or may not have one in the making.  But every successful HC needs one regardless.

He also needs a clock coach who will also advise on challenges.  I wish he didn't but he does.  It's infuriating.

So the last thing is what he really needs and then we're good.  It's a minor hire, but one the team should make.

In defense of Rex's first challenge yesterday on the 4th and 1, in his interview with Michael Kay, he said that they had to use a timeout anyway so he figured they'd kill two birds with one stone and challenge the call (which they believed to be incorrect) and this would also give them the timeout they needed anyway.

The second challenge is questionable, I thought Stevie was out of bounds from first glance, but you have to credit the Bills for going no huddle and pressuring Rex to challenge it. But if EJ doesn't have that fumble then I don't think this challenge fiasco is talked about at all.

Other than Seattle's Offensive Coordinator who do folks in the "Fire Rex" camp want to bring in?  Not saying there aren't better coaches out there, but I'm wondering if people think there are any "slam dunks" out there.

Bevell from Seattle.  Duh.  Just look at how well their old DC, Gus Bradley is doing in Jax.

FWIW - at this point in the season, only 1 new rookie HC has a winning record (Marc Tresman) who took over a 10 win team.

In defense of Rex's first challenge yesterday on the 4th and 1, in his interview with Michael Kay, he said that they had to use a timeout anyway so he figured they'd kill two birds with one stone and challenge the call (which they believed to be incorrect) and this would also give them the timeout they needed anyway.

The second challenge is questionable, I thought Stevie was out of bounds from first glance, but you have to credit the Bills for going no huddle and pressuring Rex to challenge it. But if EJ doesn't have that fumble then I don't think this challenge fiasco is talked about at all.

Ofcourse not.

I understood both.  The first one it was clear what he was doing and while the second one was maybe questionable; Kerley got overturned on a very similar play and Johnson looked like his heel was out...Kerley looked like he kicked up green.  Go figure.  

Bevell from Seattle. Duh. Just look at how well their old DC, Gus Bradley is doing in Jax.

FWIW - at this point in the season, only 1 new rookie HC has a winning record (Marc Tresman) who took over a 10 win team.

Awesome indicator. What ever happened to the offensive coordinator from that Ravens team where Rex was the defensive coordinator?

Awesome indicator. What ever happened to the offensive coordinator from that Ravens team where Rex was the defensive coordinator?

Not sure who you're referring to....Fassel?  Cameron?  Bilick? There were a bunch who sucked and depended on Rex to win games.

So I was looking up your boy Bevell.  He's garbage.  Guy has had a 29 and 28 ranked scoring offense as an OC.  

Lets bring that disaster here.  Cant wait!

Completely agree..

His coaching ability espcially the D is second to none. He is also a good motivator. 

However, he is not a good personal evaluator in terms of draft. So the GM has to keep him on a tight leash in terms of that and getting emotional during game day.

who is out there...   Jeff Fischer    

The same Jeff Fisher who, of his own volition hired Brian Schottenheimer ... then brought him back for year 2? No thanks ... used to think he was a sharp football guy but that's proving out differently.

I want to put in perspective how fortunate we are to have Rex as our coach, so I compiled a list of the coaches who have won super bowls from 2008-2012, and list of the coaches who have been fired during the same time frame.

Here is a list of the coaches who have won super bowls in the past 5 years:

John Harbaugh

Tom Coughlin

Mike McCarthy

Sean Payton

Mike Tomlin

Here is a list of the coaches who have been fired (or let go) in the past 5 seasons:

Chan Gailey

Tony Sparano

Dick Jauron

Wade Phillips

Jim Zorn
Andy Reid
Romeo Crennel (Browns)

Romeo Crennel (Chiefs)

Josh McDaniels

Todd Haley

Tom Cable
Mike Shanahan

Hue Jackson
Norv Turner

Herm Edwards

Eric Mangini (Jets)

Eric Mangini (Browns)
Jim Caldwell

Jeff Fischer (technically not a firing, but both sides wanted out)

Mike Mularkey
John Fox
Ken Wisenhunt
Mike Nolan

Mike Singletary

Jim Mora
Scott Linehan

Steve Spagnuolo
Rod Marinelli
Brad Childress

Lovie Smith

Jack Del Rio

Pat Shurmur

Raheem Morris

It really is amazing to see how many coaches have been fired in just 5 seasons time, but I think this puts it in perspective something I believe, and that is that franchises miss more than they hit when it comes to hiring good head coaches. Jet fans who want Rex fired, take a good look at this list, and realize that we will probably MISS on the next hire, just as many teams have missed in the past few seasons. The odds simply are not in favor of hiring a good head coach, not only are the odds not in our favor, but the talent pool just isn't big enough when it comes to coaches. These NFL franchises aren't stupid, they don't hire someone knowing they will fail, it's just that this is a tough business, and the people who can be successful, that is field teams with winning records and playoff success are an EXTREME minority. Rex is in that minority, and firing him would without a doubt be the worst decision in the history of the franchise.

Rex not boasting to the media anymore, while being the same guy he's always been in the locker room can work. Let the media try and make him out to be a different person. This dline has seemingly breathed new life into the team.

Coples comment about how excited he was to get back on the field with his "brothers" shows a lot about this locker room imo. While the guys across town are cashing checks and reading their own press clippings from 2011.

Or, it means the majority of coaches have a "shelf life", and their sphere of influence over clubs wane in 5 year increments, traditionally.

But you have to wonder WHY that is the case, and that is directly tied to winning. A minority of the coaches on that list were good coaches who's shelf life expired (Reid, Shanahan, Fischer) Others presided over disasters under the appearance of football teams. Some were the "hot coordinator" from a good team like Spagnuolo was, and look how that turned out.

That's just to much awesome to happen to the Jets, and us Jets fans, and the sad part is, it might not be that far from reality, but some young hot shot GM will want HIS guy, and we will never see the WHAT IF, like WHAT IF Parcells tells Peyton Manning "absolutely your my 1st pick if you declare" or Bill Belicheck doesn't resign the HC position, and maybe him, and his staff draft Tom Brady?

We're destin for another WHAT IF instead of AWESOME!

You are a big poopie pants.

Seattle's offensive coordinator.

To me this is a trendy candidate idea based on the performance of that team in general, but if you look at the stats from Seattle's offense, they were ranked 17th in total offense in 2012, and 28th in total offense in 2011 under Darrell Bevell, so why in the world should he even be considered at this point?

And the point should be made that Seattle's strength is its defense, not its offense. I see no reason to believe that Bevell would prove to be a better coach than Rex, he has not even proven he is proficient at an elite level on his side of the ball as Rex has proven with his side. Moreover, I think it would be bad for Geno to have two different offensive systems in his first two seasons, that is a recipe for disaster for a young QB. Let's see how the year plays out, if Geno improves and excels under Marty, there is no reason to change. The Jets are 10th in total offense right now while Seattle is 8th; this means very little so early on in this season, but thus far there is no great disparity.

Rex's defense has been working great for 4 years and 3 games.  The problem has been the offense.  Signs are encouraging that the offense could be better than it has ever been now that we've gone from a bottom 5 QB to a guy who looks like he can be a league-average type of guy.  He was supposed to be very raw but does anyone cringe when he drops back to pass like we did with Sanchez?  I sure don't, even after his 3-interception game against New England.  He looks poised, throws a pretty good ball and can run when needed.  What more can we ask for out of a 2nd round pick?

That's why it's not crazy to think that we'll keep up our strong play.  Especially when you consider we're one of the youngest teams in the league (hence, in part, why we had all those penalties on Sunday).  The only place our play can go is up from here, despite our tough schedule.  That's pretty exciting if you ask me.

Rex is proving to be a huge part of shaping this young, new-look team, and while we'll have our hiccups along the way, we very quickly went from one of the league's dregs and a team that was going to sound out Rex and stop playing hard for him to maybe a contender in this wide open AFC overnight.  Sometimes 3 games is all it takes to change a franchise's culture in the NFL.  Reminds me of when we started 3-0 in 2009, but even better because of no Sanchez.

This has already been proven completley ridiculous, just go read quotes from Colon, Wilkerson, Richardson, or anyone else speaking, they are all talking like they will run through a wall for Rex to prove this team has been disrespected, and overlooked, I love it, all the dolts who kill him for his coaching in between the lines, and big mouth can NEVER say his team will stop playing hard for him, I mean look at what that crap ass team from late last season tried to do for the man against the Cardinals, and Titans!

Preach on!  Love me some Rex love fest.

I think this comment got so blown out of proportion it's not even funny.  He [idzik] was basically trying to say that everyone has input in the decisions that are made, whether that's personnel or who starts.  

I agree that was what Idzik was saying.  The only problem is that the coach always has been the guy who decides who plays and who sits without having to consult others.  Therefore it is a diminuation of Rex's position to say this.  Remember that Idzik said this specifically as regards the ongoing QB contest.

As it turns out, Mark got hurt in preseason, (he was probably scheduled for replacement in midseason anyway), Geno seems to show good things as starter.  If these guys keep winning at a satisfactory rate this won't matter much, despite things starting out rocky.

I agree that was what Idzik was saying.  The only problem is that the coach always has been the guy who decides who plays and who sits without having to consult others.  Therefore it is a diminuation of Rex's position to say this.  Remember that Idzik said this specifically as regards the ongoing QB contest.

As it turns out, Mark got hurt in preseason, (he was probably scheduled for replacement in midseason anyway), Geno seems to show good things as starter.  If these guys keep winning at a satisfactory rate this won't matter much, despite things starting out rocky.

Coaches almost always consult others on decisions like these.  They may have final say, but they always get the opinions of other members of the staff.  They'd be fools if they didn't.  Sometimes others see things that you might miss.

You don't think Idzik got input from Rex on Milliner and Richardson before drafting them?  By doing so, do you think that means Rex has more power within the organization than Idzik does? 

Taking input from your coach on your draft decisions is one thing.  The coach has to present a figure of authority to his team, to make them reach down and play hard for him at the toughest parts of the game.

Look at the comparison.  When Kurt Warner, who was only there to set the table for Eli anyway, was benched after going 5-4, (the offense was stalling however), the Giants front office issued a statement that they had nothing to do with Warner's benching.  They said that Tom Coughlin, as coach, would not work for an organization that interfered with his decisions.

Why would the Giants go through the effort to make sure that the public knew it was Coughlin, not them, who made the decision?  Because making that benching decision is sacrosanct for a head coach-no interference.

...are you saying that there are no coaches better than Rex Ryan, JetsBit80?

Nope, but I'm saying unless we can get someone else's well-established coach it would be very hard to find one that brings as many or more good things to the table as Rex.  And if you only have a list of 1 potential guy obviously you don't think there are that many either. 

Nope, but I'm saying unless we can get someone else's well-established coach it would be very hard to find one that brings as many or more good things to the table as Rex.  And if you only have a list of 1 potential guy obviously you don't think there are that many either. 

Ok 80, if you are so good at the "potential coach prognostication" game, were you vociferously campaigning for Rex to be HC when the jets were in search mode? You were positive that he would supposedly be this great coach?

The fact is, the majority of fans do not have the contacts or insights into who actually is good potential coaching material. We do not have the access or the knowledge. 

Proven great coaches just aren't sitting out there to be picked-they have jobs already. The key for any franchise looking to improve is finding the coach that has the potential to be great. Reflects the direction and vision of your club. All things that we as fans are not privy to.

The list that can be shot down is easy to produce. And the list of potential candidates are those that 95% of the fans have no clue to.

But that does not mean they do not exist. 

Ok 80, if you are so good at the "potential coach prognostication" game, were you vociferously campaigning for Rex to be HC when the jets were in search mode? You were positive that he would supposedly be this great coach?

The fact is, the majority of fans do not have the contacts or insights into who actually is good potential coaching material. We do not have the access or the knowledge. 

Proven great coaches just aren't sitting out there to be picked-they have jobs already. The key for any franchise looking to improve is finding the coach that has the potential to be great. Reflects the direction and vision of your club. All things that we as fans are not privy to.

The list that can be shot down is easy to produce. And the list of potential candidates are those that 95% of the fans have no clue to.

But that does not mean they do not exist. 

So, in other words, you can't think of anyone either.

Think I already said Bill O'Brien.

I'm skeptical of this choice for a few reasons one being that Belichick protégés have historically not fared well when they leave New England; see Mangini, Crennel, McDaniels, and Weiss. O'Brien only spent 1 season as the Patriots OC in 2011, a position I don't think merits the kind of recognition as the results suggest simply because of the high talent level on the Patriots offense. If Tom Brady got hurt in 2011, we are not even discussing Bill O'Brien as a potential candidate. In my opinion, O'Brien's notoriety is largely the product of being in a position where he gets to share the credit for an offense led by Tom Brady. If O'Brien coordinated an offense at a high level with a lack of talent, then that's a different story entirely. But I get the feeling that with the 2011 Patriots offense, it didn't really matter who was the OC they were still going to be a juggernaut.

In similar fashion I would be skeptical of any head coaching candidate that was previously a defensive coordinator under Rex Ryan precisely because there's a huge question as to whether such a candidate's successes can really be attributed to that candidate and not Rex who is known to exercise a lot of control over the defense.

Now maybe Bill O'Brien will prove to be a great coach at Penn State, the jury is still out on that, but I really don't see him being an upgrade over Rex if the Jets fire him after this season.

Archived