Jets sign David Nelson WR

joewilly12

Report: Jets to sign David Nelson, Santonio Holmes expected to miss a few weeks

Posted by Josh Alper on October 1, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT

David NelsonAP

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes hurt his hamstring late in Sunday’s 38-13 loss to the Titans and it looks like the team is planning to be without him for a spell.

Brian Costello of the New York Post reports that Holmes is expected to miss a few weeks as a result of the injury. Stephen Hill was also diagnosed with a concussion after a hit in the loss, a pair of developments that will lead the team to sign wide receiver David Nelson.

Nelson worked out for Jets and a few other teams recently as part of an effort to land a job after being cut by the Browns at the end of preseason. Nelson was familiar to the team before that workout as he spent the last three years with the Bills. His last NFL appearance actually came against the Jets in the season opener last season when Nelson had two catches before tearing his ACL and missing the rest of the season.

He had 61 catches in 2011, though, and the Jets will certainly need all the help at receiver they can get if Holmes and Hill are out or limited in the next few weeks.

Oh boy.  This should be fun

Ground and pound is back against a team that is tough against the run, bad against the pass, and can hang 50 on ya

I'd imagine the Jets passing game will be going TE early and often on Monday.  At this point, Cumberland and Winslow are easily more effective pass-catchers than any of the healthy WRs outside of Kerley.

I'd imagine the Jets passing game will be going TE early and often on Monday.  At this point, Cumberland and Winslow are easily more effective pass-catchers than any of the healthy WRs outside of Kerley.

I'm surprised Kerley is playing.  He took a hell of a hit on the goal line breaking up a sure pick 6.   Thought for sure he was going to come up concussed

I'm surprised Kerley is playing.  He took a hell of a hit on the goal line breaking up a sure pick 6.   Thought for sure he was going to come up concussed

Yeah, that certainly looked bad but it seems like he came away fine, which at least helps keep an already rough situation from being even worse.

Add Braylon Edwards and we good. Gates and Obamanu can sell cotton candy and peanuts for all I care.

I was one of the ones that threw tantrums when Bray walked, and was thrilled when he came back.  Truth is, he looked like his knee is done.  Shame to, think he is only 29-30, should have another 3-4 years  

Actually Nelson isn't all that bad.

best they could do on short notice I guess

He isn't all that great either. But, a step in the right direction for whats out there now. I just hope this is one step closer to us not ever seeing Gates on the field again.

david nelson is used injured garbage....

He had an ok second season for an undrafted guy who had to catch passes from Fitzpatrick.  As far as hands, he had 61 catches on 98 targets in 2011.  I don't know if that low catch percentage is due to bad routes or Fitzpatrick, but it wasn't due to drops (seems he had one of the highest catch-percentages in the league with only 3 drops by Christmas).  Also only 11 ypr, but again I don't know if that's just because they had him running only short routes or if it's because he couldn't get open deep unless the coverage was blown.

We'll see.  Chances are he won't do much.  He's a big dude, though.  Or tall, anyway.  Damn shame about his knee.

Powell should get some action in the passing game.  Except Smith had so much trouble with the screens.  Still, Powell could be a factor.

While Powell is a quality player and reliable pass catcher, and he'll get his chances, he doesn't exactly bring that explosive ability you want to see out of guys you run things like screen plays with anyway.  I could potentially see Goodson being eased in this week more via the passing game than anything else, hoping to bring more big play potential while also trying to offset the issues at WR a bit.  We'll see.

He had an ok second season for an undrafted guy who had to catch passes from Fitzpatrick.  As far as hands, he had 61 catches on 98 targets in 2011.  I don't know if that low catch percentage is due to bad routes or Fitzpatrick, but it wasn't due to drops (seems he had one of the highest catch-percentages in the league with only 3 drops by Christmas).  Also only 11 ypr, but again I don't know if that's just because they had him running only short routes or if it's because he couldn't get open deep unless the coverage was blown.

We'll see.  Chances are he won't do much.  He's a big dude, though.  Or tall, anyway.  Damn shame about his knee.

I figured if the Browns cut him.... considering their current wide receiver depth... he can't be any good any more.

But they also traded away trent richardson so maybe they're just clueless.

Not to burst some bubbles, but if he plays, it's going to be on specials only or if Gates, Obomanu and Spadola all somehow get hurt.   Which is probably not as unrealistic as it sounds...okay, go back to the bubbles.

Why is there even a David Nelson bubble to be bursted?

Archived