Geno has more upside then Kaepernick, RG3 and Wilson and is less likely to slump as they have

Jimmy IRisH

Look at Cam Newton's Second year. It was garbage because he had mobility and scrambling tendencies and didnt account for teams to scheme what he had dont the entire year before. Same with Kap and RG3 and Wilson...Sure they have decent records and can win games. But Why is Luck not having trouble? One thing stands out, He is a pocket passer 1st and foremost. Is he mobile? Hell yeah he is, just like smith. But Geno is committed to the pocket and he is far more likely to have really break out in his sophmore year then RG3, Wilson, Newton and Kap have faired. Because they all were a duel threat. Take away 1/2 the threat? not as good. Geno is closer to luck then the other guys. Feel free to bump this thread in a year when Geno's stats are in the 10 Tds 2 int's this time next year.

Am I wrong?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just need to see Geno do it for more than one game to get excited. 

We've been hearing for 25 years (since the days of Randall Cunningham) that the dual threat QB is the "wave of the future." But with all these run/pass QBs we've seen over the years since then, Vick, Newton, et al, how many have won Super Bowls? 

Oh, that's right, none of them. Championships seem to be the exclusive province of pocket passers. 

We've been hearing for 25 years (since the days of Randall Cunningham) that the dual threat QB is the "wave of the future." But with all these run/pass QBs we've seen over the years since then, Vick, Newton, et al, how many have won Super Bowls? 

Oh, that's right, none of them. Championships seem to be the exclusive province of pocket passers. 

But the nice thing about Geno is that he really is a pocket passer.  We're not running any read options out there trying to get him killed.  He CAN run but most of the time he chooses not to.  He's a little bit like Ben Roethlisberger, who won 2 Super Bowls. 

Ben is obviously big and strong and can do things to get away from linemen that Geno can't do, but both are pocket passers first who have additional skillsets that pocket guys don't have.

But the nice thing about Geno is that he really is a pocket passer.  We're not running any read options out there trying to get him killed.  He CAN run but most of the time he chooses not to.  He's a little bit like Ben Roethlisberger, who won 2 Super Bowls. 

Ben is obviously big and strong and can do things to get away from linemen that Geno can't do, but both are pocket passers first who have additional skillsets that pocket guys don't have.

I would compare Geno more to Donovan McNabb. The only difference being that McNabb came in as a run first guy who became a pocket passer. 

Geno's got better speed than Big Ben. The Jets did run a couple of read options on Monday night. They just don't use it on every play like the Seahawks or Cowboys. 

I agree 100%. Thats pretty much my point. The preseason talk was disgusting. Kap was in every commerical and already crowned SB MVP by most. His jersey is the best selling, and then he comes out and looks pretty damn human.

Most of all Peyton is proving that Extreme talent at QB position isnt as important and Presnap recognition, Film study and overall Football awareness. He throws the ball before the recievers are open and has enough zip when needed. He is living proof that a smart QB is tougher to beat then a freak talent like newton. I think Good defensive coaching beats talent and QB experience/awareness like Peyton's beats all.

If Geno continues to improve, prove his worth, learn the game and perfect his pocket passing skill set, while always having the ability to drop 70 rushing yards on a defense who for whatever reason schemed his passing (Meanwhile that 70 yards rushing can be used for crucial 1st downs and designed scrambles). I think he can surpass the read option pansies.

I would compare Geno more to Donovan McNabb. The only difference being that McNabb came in as a run first guy who became a pocket passer. 

Geno's got better speed than Big Ben. The Jets did run a couple of read options on Monday night. They just don't use it on every play like the Seahawks or Cowboys. 

But wasn't it with Bilal getting the direct snaps?

I agree 100%. Thats pretty much my point. The preseason talk was disgusting. Kap was in every commerical and already crowned SB MVP by most. His jersey is the best selling, and then he comes out and looks pretty damn human.

Most of all Peyton is proving that Extreme talent at QB position isnt as important and Presnap recognition, Film study and overall Football awareness. He throws the ball before the recievers are open and has enough zip when needed. He is living proof that a smart QB is tougher to beat then a freak talent like newton. I think Good defensive coaching beats talent and QB experience/awareness like Peyton's beats all.

If Geno continues to improve, prove his worth, learn the game and perfect his pocket passing skill set, while always having the ability to drop 70 rushing yards on a defense who for whatever reason schemed his passing (Meanwhile that 70 yards rushing can be used for crucial 1st downs and designed scrambles). I think he can surpass the read option pansies.

Yep.  Kaepernick plays mostly on instincts.  Give the NFL a year of film to look at and they WILL figure you out. 

Ive been very critical of Geno as of late but one thing that has me very excited was that he was actually stepping into his throws and NOT throwing off the back foot. The result ? Quicker release better velocity and NO Floaters. This could very well be due to the lack of consistent pressure from the Falcons but in previous weeks Geno was throwing off the back foot even with no pressure so this is actually a huge step forward for him. If he can keep this up he has the ability to be a pretty damn good QB ...the Question is can he consistently keep moving forward like this ? I hope he can because what we saw Monday night was very impressive he just needs to keep himself in that mindset every single week. It will take a lot of work but from what we hear Geno certainly will put in the work

Ive been very critical of Geno as of late but one thing that has me very excited was that he was actually stepping into his throws and NOT throwing off the back foot. The result ? Quicker release better velocity and NO Floaters. This could very well be due to the lack of consistent pressure from the Falcons but in previous weeks Geno was throwing off the back foot even with no pressure so this is actually a huge step forward for him. If he can keep this up he has the ability to be a pretty damn good QB ...the Question is can he consistently keep moving forward like this ? I hope he can because what we saw Monday night was very impressive he just needs to keep himself in that mindset every single week. It will take a lot of work but from what we hear Geno certainly will put in the work

It's amazing what he's doing without weapons. 

Hope you're right Jimbo, It would be nice to see the Jets luck out at that position like every other team in our division, past and present have. Miami: Mariono, Buffalo: Jim Kelly New England: Ryan Mallet ( ;>/) and the Colts got Peyton when they played in the East with us. I'd say we're due

I never forgave the Jets for not drafting Steve Air McNair...maybe Geno can be like him

It's amazing what he's doing without weapons. 

the deal is if he can continue to improve THEN WE MUST UPGRADE the skill positions around him and not ignore them like we have done in the past. I believe JIF said next years draft is rich with WR's and there are also some pretty nice free agents available as well. If Geno Improves every week and continues to mature and shows this organization and its fans hes the real deal they had better step up and give him what he needs.

the deal is if he can continue to improve THEN WE MUST UPGRADE the skill positions around him and not ignore them like we have done in the past. I believe JIF said next years draft is rich with WR's and there are also some pretty nice free agents available as well. If Geno Improves every week and continues to mature and shows this organization and its fans hes the real deal they had better step up and give him what he needs.

It'll be nice if by the end of the season we're convinced Geno is the guy.  We don't want to miss out on a big QB draft.  And if Geno IS the guy, while so many other teams are looking at QB's we can scoop up playmakers.

It'll be nice if by the end of the season we're convinced Geno is the guy.  We don't want to miss out on a big QB draft.  And if Geno IS the guy, while so many other teams are looking at QB's we can scoop up playmakers.

you know what even if we think Geno is the guy nothing says we can't still draft a QB for a few reasons 1. to keep pressure on Geno and 2. to be our back up . Since we have so much cap money we do not have to build exclusively through the draft so it gives us a lot of options.

Haha.  Even Geno was telling the fans to pump the brakes but here we go getting ahead of ourselves again.  Steelers and Pats are probably going to force multiple turnovers just because.

Hey, Im as big of a fan as they come, I got tatted the year we went 4-12 with the QB Merry go round. All im saying is We have managed to keep the defense decent to good for almost ten years. Most teams have elite QBs and it compensates the D. See 2009 saints, 2006 bears? good D no qb The colts however? no D + peyton.... then 2009? peyton vs brees? the better D takes it

Im not drinking the punch- im just saying we are due for a QB and this is the most upside we have had since favre hid his injury.

If Geno Developes and isnt just a lead nursing qb...but a lights out..or even dimmed donw QB...we can get closer then people think. and our WRS arent nearly as bad as people think either. im not down on hill just yet, santonio is good enough for they year and kerely is a stud in the making

Geno beats Pitt and NE in the following weeks with similar fashion to monday night ROAD game in ATL dome....we can all jump on and stay on

you know what even if we think Geno is the guy nothing says we can't still draft a QB for a few reasons 1. to keep pressure on Geno and 2. to be our back up . Since we have so much cap money we do not have to build exclusively through the draft so it gives us a lot of options.

No doubt about it but if we like Geno no way we go after one of those special guys at QB coming out this year.  We'd be taking one in like the 4th round.  Nothing wrong with getting a Mike Glennon-type of guy but that's a big difference than getting a Boyd or Bridgewater in terms of potential.

No doubt about it but if we like Geno no way we go after one of those special guys at QB coming out this year.  We'd be taking one in like the 4th round.  Nothing wrong with getting a Mike Glennon-type of guy but that's a big difference than getting a Boyd or Bridgewater in terms of potential.

exactly

Thats a excellent point, the more QBS off the board and sought after the better our odds of a playmaker.

And despite my father's opinion. I think a Julio/Calvin/any legit deep threat WR woiuld make Kerely a monster. He has heart, speed and hands. If he is in the slot and teams are scared of a deep threat, I see him doing some serious 1500 yds, 12 tds damage in the coming years

Thats a excellent point, the more QBS off the board and sought after the better our odds of a playmaker.

And despite my father's opinion. I think a Julio/Calvin/any legit deep threat WR woiuld make Kerely a monster. He has heart, speed and hands. If he is in the slot and teams are scared of a deep threat, I see him doing some serious 1500 yds, 12 tds damage in the coming years

1500 yds/12 TD's for Kerley?  LOL pass me whatever drugs you're on.  Love your optimism but ease up a little.

1500 yds/12 TD's for Kerley?  LOL pass me whatever drugs you're on.  Love your optimism but ease up a little.

Its optimism yes. But its obvioulsy in a world where We have Buffalo Bills game HILL and ATL Geno and Kerely just doing his thing. Our D Line is good because they each compliment eachother very nicely. A deep threat would do wonders for Kerely.

How about 1,000 yds and 8 tds? is that more Jet friendly

I can see that some people in here are drinking the Kool Aid in mass quantities. If you know your Jets history you SHOULD know better than to christen Geno a "savior" just yet. Just let it happen and stop projecting dreams and wishes upon him to fulfill. If it happens great, if not I am not going down as one saying "He's the greatest" after five games. And I am certainly not going to say his potential is greater than a guy who took his team to the SB last year and one who might do so THIS year (Wilson), Please.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just need to see Geno do it for more than one game to get excited. 

Plus pocket passers just last longer.

I can see that some people in here are drinking the Kool Aid in mass quantities. If you know your Jets history you SHOULD know better than to christen Geno a "savior" just yet. Just let it happen and stop projecting dreams and wishes upon him to fulfill. If it happens great, if not I am not going down as one saying "He's the greatest" after five games. And I am certainly not going to say his potential is greater than a guy who took his team to the SB last year and one who might do so THIS year (Wilson), Please.

Life's a journey, not a destination.  Enjoy the ride!

I don't think Geno is in the same league as the other guys in the op....we don't know yet. He has had ONE and only ONE solid NFL level game. Sanchez had good games too.....let's not get carried away....

In fairness though, it could very easily be argued that Geno's performance was superior, at least statistically speaking, to any game of Sanchez's entire career.

Is he performing as well as he did last year? or Is his defense maybe hiding his in ability to put up yards and Tds? the same way its been 5 games for Geno, its been 5 games for Wilson. SANCHEZ almost made it to superbowl too ya know, in fact hes almost made it twice as many times as Wilson. Almost means diddly squat. My Kool aid taste just fine thank you. this isnt my first rodeo. 1st post in 3 years? yes 1st comment as a Jets fan/ enthusiast, not so much

Archived