Darrelle Revis

Matt39

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great. Who covers Marvin Jones?

the rest of the secondary

Revis taking away a side made this D a lot better. Rex knew it and were seeing the effects. Ive said all year Rex right now is a better HC than DC. A #2 WR never had 2 TD's when revis was here...4 touchdowns? Al Bundy? sh*t.embarrasing.

He's been awesome in man coverage in TB. He'd have locked up Green.

Rex's D has looked very different without Revis taking away half the field. I dont care how jackass Schiano is using him. Totally different first quarter with Revis in the secondary,

Revis lost the Arizona game for the Bucs.  He just got flat-out beat, no two ways about it.  He is not what he was, which he freely admits himself, and probably never will be again.  No one will probably be what he was. 

If the Jets used $16M of cap room - all of which will be available to the team next season - so we could have Revis for 1 more season, then Idzik should have been fired before week 1.  Milliner panning out as well as Vernon Gholston so far does not make Revis worth $16M.  It just makes it a bad pick.  

Also I disagree that it's any sort of sure thing that we would have drafted Richardson at #9, no matter what the team says about him being #4 on their board.

You are getting hysterical about a loss to a better overall team while we're in year 1 of a rebuild.

This is crapola. Cromartie outperformed Revis in basically every charting stat starting in the middle of 2011.

That's like 8 games max. Cro had a stretch where he was awesome. When Cro was playing awesome Revis was still incredible and was shadowing the best WR on the field.

The defense sucks. You spread the Jets out and they have zero answer. This is the 08 defense with a worse secondary. We stop the run...who cares. We had the best man CB of all time and trade him,

Revis lost the Arizona game for the Bucs.  He just got flat-out beat, no two ways about it.  He is not what he was, which he freely admits himself, and probably never will be again.  No one will probably be what he was. 

If the Jets used $16M of cap room - all of which will be available to the team next season - so we could have Revis for 1 more season, then Idzik should have been fired before week 1.  Milliner panning out as well as Vernon Gholston so far does not make Revis worth $16M.  It just makes it a bad pick.  

Also I disagree that it's any sort of sure thing that we would have drafted Richardson at #9, no matter what the team says about him being #4 on their board.

You are getting hysterical about a loss to a better overall team while we're in year 1 of a rebuild.

who are we using the best CB in football money on? we saved 16 mill...ok, for who?

Not getting hysterical but Rex's D looks awfully ordinary without his best player.

That's like 8 games max. Cro had a stretch where he was awesome. When Cro was playing awesome Revis was still incredible and was shadowing the best WR on the field.

The defense sucks. You spread the Jets out and they have zero answer. This is the 08 defense with a worse secondary. We stop the run...who cares. We had the best man CB of all time and trade him,

I was never happy about the Revis trade, but I'm also not seeing what games we win if he's still on the team.

I was never happy about the Revis trade, but I'm also not seeing what games we win if he's still on the team.

The Bucs are still winless without him...I get it. (playing him in zone on 3rd down is also the height of stupidity)

But sh*t....Revis on an island today with this run d...Dalton isnt playing in a tuxedo.Revis' ability changes everything scheme wise.

who are we using the best CB in football money on? we saved 16 mill...ok, for who?

Not getting hysterical but Rex's D looks awfully ordinary without his best player.

This year? Nobody.

And I'd imagine anyone's D would look awfully ordinary and maybe just awful with these 5 clowns in the secondary.  Revis is not going to fix that.  He'd be shadowing AJ Green - assuming he could even man up on him successfully this season - and the rest of their receiving options would still be covered by the injured, the has-been, and the sucky.

You're just wrong about this.  31 teams agree that spending $16M and a 1st round pick on 1 season of Revis is foolishness.  

I've seen our defense get blown out with Revis in his prime. Or do you not remember Peyton Manning sending us home in the AFCCG by tossing the ball to Garcon & Collie while Revis blanketed Wayne?  And you can't put Revis on an island this season.  He isn't good/healthy enough right now.

I absolutely wish Revis was still our CB.  But he was impossible to deal with and even his most ardent, blind supporters (bitonti, Gato, etc.) acknowledge that $16M for a CB is just utter stupidity.  I also have my doubts that Richardson would have been the pick at #9.  I think if we had only 1 draft pick we were more likely to take any trade-down to acquire another pick or more.  With 2 round 1 picks, I think Idzik was holding out for more value in exchange for trading down.  Not saying that would have happened for certain, but it is nothing more than a guess or a desire that Richardson would have been on the Jets if Revis was retained for 1 more season.

Milliner being a Gholston-level rookie does not mean the trade for Revis was bad.  It means the player we drafted at #9 was a bad choice, nothing more.

And you are getting hysterical.  You interject his name all over the place when he has nothing to do with anything.

This year? Nobody.

And I'd imagine anyone's D would look awfully ordinary and maybe just awful with these 5 clowns in the secondary.  Revis is not going to fix that.  He'd be shadowing AJ Green - assuming he could even man up on him successfully this season - and the rest of their receiving options would still be covered by the injured, the has-been, and the sucky.

You're just wrong about this.  31 teams agree that spending $16M and a 1st round pick on 1 season of Revis is foolishness.  

I've seen our defense get blown out with Revis in his prime. Or do you not remember Peyton Manning sending us home in the AFCCG by tossing the ball to Garcon & Collie while Revis blanketed Wayne?

I absolutely wish Revis was still our CB.  But he was impossible to deal with and even his most ardent, blind supporters (bitonti, Gato, etc.) acknowledge that $16M for a CB is just utter stupidity.  I also have my doubts that Richardson would have been the pick at #9.  I think if we had only 1 draft pick we were more likely to take any trade-down to acquire another pick or more.  With 2 round 1 picks, I think Idzik was holding out for more value in exchange for trading down.  Not saying that would have happened for certain, but it is nothing more than a guess or a desire that Richardson would have been on the Jets if Revis was retained for 1 more season.

Milliner being a Gholston-level rookie does not mean the trade for Revis was bad.  It means the player we drafted at #9 was a bad choice, nothing more.

Cant compare Manning vs Dalton. Revis was a scheme changing player....blame Revis, blame the Jets but he should have been here for his career.

Hindsight, we take another CB who's god awful. I dont get it. The WR's have been bad forever now.

But he was impossible to deal with and even his most ardent, blind supporters (bitonti, Gato, etc.) acknowledge that $16M for a CB is just utter stupidity.  

Whoa now, I'm all about paying players. If anything the thing that has me OK is that he doesn't do enough for this team as it is at that price. 

Ah yes, and the JN world goes round.  No single poster on this board is more predictable.  It's a constant loop of the following:

1.  Matt makes a point which he doesn't even try to defend, yet thinks everyone should concede and accept it is a statement of fact, simply because he said it, while any posts which provide support for a contradictory position are dismissed.

2.  Matt repeats the same point excessively, regardless of its accuracy or the relevancy to the topic of discussion.

3.  The Jets have a sh*tty game at some point, as they always eventually do.

4.  Matt becomes very excited with himself, as he gleefully watches the Jets' failures.

5.  Matt cleans off his keyboard, then starts a thread celebrating that his prior point must now be deemed correct by all because of the Jets' sh*tty game, regardless of whether or not his point has anything to do with what occurred.

6.  Matt ultimately accomplishes nothing more than making himself look like an ass for his constant need to congratulate himself after every one of the Jets' failures.

7.  Repeat.

Ah yes, and the JN world goes round.  No single poster on this board is more predictable.  It's a constant loop of the following:

1.  Matt makes a point which he doesn't even try to defend, yet thinks everyone should concede and accept it is a statement of fact, simply because he said it, while any posts which provide support for a contradictory position are dismissed.

2.  Matt repeats the same point excessively, regardless of its accuracy or the relevancy to the topic of discussion.

3.  The Jets have a sh*tty game at some point, as they always eventually do.

4.  Matt becomes very excited with himself, as he gleefully watches the Jets' failures.

5.  Matt cleans off his keyboard, then starts a thread celebrating that his prior point must now be deemed correct by all because of the Jets' sh*tty game, regardless of whether or not his point has anything to do with what occurred.

6.  Matt ultimately accomplishes nothing more than making himself look like an ass for his constant need to congratulate himself after every one of the Jets' failures.

7.  Repeat.

You should see my Knicks posts.

19 completions for 320 and 5 TD's. Jesus christ.

what was Revis' contract preventing the Jets from doing?

Revis has admitted that he can't play press-man on an island exclusively this season, which is exactly what you are assuming he'd do in your proposed argument of us keeping him.  Andy Dalton shredded our defense, because we couldn't generate any pass-rush and he connected with Marvin Jones regardless of who was covering him. Revis doesn't change this, he can only cover one person and not as well as he used to from what we've seen this year.  Nobody is giving Cinicnatti any credit, their offensive line has been phenomenal in all of their victories, especially the last few weeks. Revis doesn't change any of that.   You and many people spend all week telling us how awful we are, but then go in sh*tfit, crisis mode the second we lose a game to possibly the best or one of the best teams in the entire AFC. Sometimes you have to tip your had to the better team.

Cant compare Manning vs Dalton. Revis was a scheme changing player....blame Revis, blame the Jets but he should have been here for his career.

Hindsight, we take another CB who's god awful. I dont get it. The WR's have been bad forever now.

I think there's still an excellent chance the Jets draft Milliner no matter what, and then there's no Richardson.

If the Jets planned on having Revis on the team for 1 more season, with the hopes of extending him beyond 2013, I think they dump Cromartie for whatever pick they can get out of someone.  I don't see them keeping both at their bloated cap numbers after gutting the rest of the team in March, as they did.

The thing to do was not to keep Revis for that nutty figure, but to do a better job drafting inside the top 10.

Revis has admitted that he can't play press-man on an island exclusively this season, which is exactly what you are assuming he'd do in your proposed argument of us keeping him. Andy Dalton shredded our defense, because we couldn't generate any pass-rush and he connected with Marvin Jones regardless of who was covering him. Revis doesn't change this, he can only cover one person and not as well as he used to from what we've seen this year. Nobody is giving Cinicnatti any credit, their offensive line has been phenomenal in all of their victories, especially the last few weeks. Revis doesn't change any of that. You and many people spend all week telling us how awful we are, but then go in sh*tfit, crisis mode the second we lose a game to possibly the best or one of the best teams in the entire AFC. Sometimes you have to tip your had to the better team.

Revis in man on Thursday night was vintage Revis. I'm just saying everyone blowing Idzik over this deal was slightly premature. The secondary is awful. And the division was clearly winnable.

The secondary is awful because these guys are awful, not because we made a smart deal for Revis.  You're smoking some serious stuff if you think Revis gets us a realistic shot at a superbowl this season.

I'd rather have the extra $15M next year to spend, when we might have a realistic chance.  And even that is only if Geno improves more.

Let it go. Revis is gone and honestly he has not been that good in TB. Revis readily admits that he is not back to where he was pre-injury. Why raise this issue? 16 million on Revis would NOT have made us any better than we are now. Milliner is sucking right now. That is true but without the cap space provided by the Revis trade...we would be in really bad shape. Let's all be patient. We should not have had high expectations for this year. We have a rookie QB, a new O Coordinator and a coach on the Hot seat. 4-4 when everyone said we were the #32 team in the league is beyond where we thought they would be. The Bengals are firing on all cylinders. We need to all relax.

LL

Only thing Revis does for us if he were here is MAYBE motivate Cromartie to play better.  Somehow Cromartie went from a top 10 corner to trash overnight, and I don't think that it's a coincidence.  There's no explanation for why in a contract year he suddenly became this bad unless he's playing hurt.  He's not old and he hasn't simply lost his athletic ability. 

Either way, locking $16 million into one corner and the $9 million we're paying Cromartie, even for 1 year, doesn't make this team better than what we ended up getting in the trade for Revis.  After this season we likely let Cro go unless his poor play forces him to come back to us for much less money, and we completely re-tool in the secondary. 

fwiw.. the core of Matt's point, that the Pats are weak this year and we stand a much better chance of winning the division with revis then without.. is  very true..

And if Milliners a bust, as it's looking more and more.. you could easily argue that this was a mistake, assuming Revis could've been tagged next year..

Even if you do not like the idea of Revis at 16 million a year, you can't deny that Idzik totally blew the Milliner pick. The entire draft is suspect to be honest. Winters is better than Ducasse - but thats not saying much. The jury is still out on Geno. Ivory for a 4th was terrible. Brandon Jacobs or Peyton Hillis for no pick would have been just as effective over the course of the season. Idzik gets a D- at best for this offseason.

fwiw.. the core of Matt's point, that the Pats are weak this year and we stand a much better chance of winning the division with revis then without.. is very true..

And if Milliners a bust, as it's looking more and more.. you could easily argue that this was a mistake, assuming Revis could've been tagged next year..

Revis could not have been tagged though. And winning the division means little if your team still had no shot at doing anything once you're there. This team needs to win two games in a row before anyone can suggest getting hot come playoff time.

Only thing Revis does for us if he were here is MAYBE motivate Cromartie to play better. Somehow Cromartie went from a top 10 corner to trash overnight, and I don't think that it's a coincidence. There's no explanation for why in a contract year he suddenly became this bad unless he's playing hurt. He's not old and he hasn't simply lost his athletic ability.

Either way, locking $16 million into one corner and the $9 million we're paying Cromartie, even for 1 year, doesn't make this team better than what we ended up getting in the trade for Revis. After this season we likely let Cro go unless his poor play forces him to come back to us for much less money, and we completely re-tool in the secondary.

pretty sure the bold is the case. he's had the hip and the knee things. he's not THAT much slower because of them, but it's enough.

fwiw.. the core of Matt's point, that the Pats are weak this year and we stand a much better chance of winning the division with revis then without.. is  very true..

Revis could not have been tagged next year.

Milliner being a bust is not a reason to not trade Revis.  That is a separate issue where the scouts aren't seeing what some casual fans apparently can.

I'd sooner have Sheldon and 3rd/4th and 16mill in cap for year two of the re-build, than blow it on a guy who's 29 with a bum knee three years out from his Stella season.

Agree, but the Milliner pick is disturbing.  #9 overall is too high of a pick for a guy we hope will get it by next year or the year after.

I'd sooner have Sheldon and 3rd/4th and 16mill in cap for year two of the re-build, than blow it on a guy who's 29 with a bum knee three years out from his Stella season.

Having 16 mill in cap space guarantees nothing either though. Cromartie's probably gone after this season....where does that leave the Jets secondary? We have no good skill position players on offense and zero returning starters in the secondary next year most likely. 

No, all the season did was confirm the grade.

And this is largely because you cannot stomach the rebuild.  I don't blame you for that, it's incredibly difficult as I said here yesterday.  But, what moves did Idzik screw up which would have likely led to a victory yesterday?  Specifics, please.

In my opinion, Milliner is looking to be the only mistake that matters.  He's terrible and I think we'll be talking about him in relationship to Gholston in the not too distant future.

Truth is, as another thread states, we are two lucky calls away from 2-6.  We were ranked 32nd coming into the season by ESPN, which was low, but looking at this through the lens of cats, we're a lot more Jaguar than Bengal.

Archived