Cro on Jimmy Graham ? ?..could happen...

kelly

-- The New Orleans Saints have several talented skill-position players that keep defensive coaches and players awake at night. 

But the biggest nightmare is Jimmy Graham

The 6-foot-7, 265-pound tight end is among the most difficult matchups in the NFL. 

"He's a unique cat," Jets coach Rex Ryan said Thursday. "He's got the speed of a receiver, the size of an offensive tackle. So it's a huge challenge." 

Last season, his third in the NFL, Graham was tied for 13th in the league with 85 receptions, for 982 yards and nine touchdowns. The year before he was even better -- 99 receptions, 1,310 yards, 11 touchdowns. 

nfl_g_Graham_bl_300x300.jpg
Matthew J. Lee/The Boston Globe via Getty ImagesThe Patriots put top cornerback Aqib Talib on Jimmy Graham and held him without a catch.

In seven games this season, he already has 40 receptions for 630 yards and eight touchdowns -- putting him on pace to finish with 91 for 1,440 and 18. 

Graham is playing through a foot injury -- he only played 18 snaps in the Saints' victory over the Buffalo Bills last Sunday. But he still made a big impact -- targeted three times, catching three balls, two of them for scores. 

He's been limited in practice the past two days, but you can bet he'll be on the field Sunday at MetLife Stadium. 

The question is, how will the Jets try to stop him? More specifically, who will they turn to? 

Two weeks ago, the Jets faced a similar challenge in New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. Gronkowski did have eight catches for 114 yards in the game, but he was targeted 17 times. 

Safety Antonio Allen was the man primarily responsible for guarding Gronk. "He did a good job," Ryan said. "From a body type, he's long and all that. So I think he did a good job." 

But Graham -- listed as an inch taller than Gronkowski, and the same weight -- is even faster, multiple Jets players said Thursday. 

Two weeks ago, when the Saints played the Patriots, the Pats put star cornerback Aqib Talib on Graham, as opposed to a safety or linebacker. 

The result? Graham was held without a single catch for the first time in 46 games, since the middle of his rookie year. 

So, would Ryan think about putting his No. 1 cornerback, Antonio Cromartie, on Graham this coming Sunday? 

"It's a thought," Ryan said wryly, when asked the question Thursday. 

Cromartie, like Talib, is a big cornerback -- 6-foot-2, 210 pounds. He hasn't had a good season thus far, but Ryan expressed confidence that Cromartie could do the job if asked. 

"I think from a size (standpoint) and skill-wise, yeah I think he could handle him," Ryan said. 

Cromartie did not speak with reporters Thursday. But linebacker Calvin Pace did. 

"It's crazy, because Graham basically is a wide receiver, he just happens to be 6-7. It's a tough matchup, whoever you put on him. I don't want to guard him," Pace said, laughing. 

"You put a safety on him, they've got a height advantage. It’s tough," Pace continued. "They do a good job of getting him in space so it's gonna be a person that's gotta get hands on him and just know where he is." 

Cromartie will probably be that person Sunday, at least some of the time. Yes, Drew Breeshas other weapons at his disposal -- wide receiver Marques Colston has 27 receptions for 342 yards, and fellow wideout Kenny Stills has 13 for 327, averaging 25.2 yards per catch. Plus don't forget about running backs Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas

But Graham is the man that must be stopped, or at least slowed down. If that means putting your best cornerback on him, so be it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/30397/cromartie-on-graham-could-happen

Cro hasn't been able to handle upper echelon, and even lesser, wide receivers.  There is no reason to believe Jimmy Graham in his 20 snaps won't completely eat his lunch. Even if he holds his own, that means Milliner on Colston and Wilson on Moore and those slant heavily in favor of the Saints. That's to not even mention Sproles out of the backfield against our slow LBs and Kenny Stills on go routes against our slow safeties.

Antonio Allen on Graham just like Gronk. Then just pray.

Exactly...this article makes zero sense.  Because Graham is an inch taller and little faster Cro has to guard him?  lulza.  This is just kicking a dog while its down.  Cro sucks this year, so lets create the worst possible scenario to talk about on Sunday.  Him all day vs. Graham.  Not going to happen.  He'll lock down on Colston, try to take him out of the game, Allen on Graham and then whoever else is in the game will get Wilson, Milliner or Walls. 

With the injury.

I appreciate the video, but I'm not sure I understand the relevance.  In 2011 Graham was (slightly) faster than a 30 year old LB that ran a 4.55 or so at the combine? Which injury is that with? That does NOT make him fast for a WR.  Jimmy Graham is Cotchery fast, not Marvin Jones, AJ Green fast. If he beats Cro (very likely) it probably won't be because of his speed. 

I appreciate the video, but I'm not sure I understand the relevance.  In 2011 Graham was (slightly) faster than a 30 year old LB that ran a 4.55 or so at the combine? Which injury is that with? That does NOT make him fast for a WR.  Jimmy Graham is Cotchery fast, not Marvin Jones, AJ Green fast. If he beats Cro (very likely) it probably won't be because of his speed. 

Sorry, I thought the other guy was fast. 

He's not fast for a TE, he's just fast. 4.48 is fast. And no, it won't be because of his speed. Nobody beats Cromartie because of their speed these days, it's because he's terrible.

I heard Graham was clocked at 4.38last summer. Just trying to keep people informed2

1This is a lie.  I have heard no such thing.

2This is also a lie.  I am not trying to keep people informed.  I am just trying out superscript font formatting.

cool ~ ~

That does NOT make him fast for a WR. Jimmy Graham is Cotchery fast, not Marvin Jones, AJ Green fast. If he beats Cro (very likely) it probably won't be because of his speed.

Yeah, that's not accurate at all about his speed and he's 260 pounds. Step2Slow Cro has no chance

Yeah, that's not accurate at all about his speed and he's 260 pounds. Step2Slow Cro has no chance

What's not accurate about his speed? Cromartie is like a tenth and a half faster.  The 260 is more of a problem, but it's not like 260 isn't going to be a problem for the others.  Graham is great, so I'm sure he will give anyone trouble.

What's not accurate about his speed? Cromartie is like a tenth and a half faster.  The 260 is more of a problem, but it's not like 260 isn't going to be a problem for the others.  Graham is great, so I'm sure he will give anyone trouble.

He's only slightly slower than AJ Green, he's lightyears ahead of Cotchery especially now and Cro has lost a step or two at this point. I don't see this matchup going well at all, our only hope is his injury is worse than it sounds.

Archived