I Hope idzik is watching the FSU vs Miami game tonight...

CobraVerde

evaluating every possible avenue for acquiring a qb. every draft possibility. every free agent or trade possibility. anything and everything because geno is hot garbage so far

every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area.

Which round?

If Smith continues to turn  the ball over at the same rate for the second half of the season as he did in the first half.   1st round

If he can cut his turnovers, at least in half, for the next eight games, that means less then one a game, I would have to consider who was on the board, in each of the first 3 rounds 

If Smith continues to turn the ball over at the same rate for the second half of the season as he did in the first half. 1st round

If he can cut his turnovers, at least in half, for the next eight games, that means less then one a game, I would have to consider who was on the board, in each of the first 3 rounds

Here's the problem with this thinking--the Jets won't be bad enough to get a shot at Bridgewater or Mariota, so even if Geno is up and down the rest of the way, none of the QBs you'd chase in the first (in that 10-20 range) are any better prospects than Geno is. I don't want to drop a first in the hope that Tajh Boyd or Zach Mettenberger will be better NFL players than Geno, because they're both as limited as he is. The only realistic guy I'd even consider taking in that range is AJ McCarron, but he compares to Pennington in terms of arm strength and (gah) intangibles. I'm not even going to bring up Manziel.

Regardless of how Geno finishes, I think Idzik is going to draft a QB in the 3rd-4th round range. I think that's where guys like Aaron Murray and David Fales will fall. Maybe Derek Carr.

If Geno absolutely implodes down the stretch here, the Jets will likely be in a position draft-wise to either grab Mariota/Bridgewater or they'll end up in the free agent market for a Matt Schaub/Christian Ponder-type backup and they'll pray that Next Head Coach fixes Geno over the summer. If all of that fails, then all bets are off and it becomes Suck for Jameis time.

Here's the problem with this thinking--the Jets won't be bad enough to get a shot at Bridgewater or Mariota, so even if Geno is up and down the rest of the way, none of the QBs you'd chase in the first (in that 10-20 range) are any better prospects than Geno is. I don't want to drop a first in the hope that Tajh Boyd or Zach Mettenberger will be better NFL players than Geno, because they're both as limited as he is. The only realistic guy I'd even consider taking in that range is AJ McCarron, but he compares to Pennington in terms of arm strength and (gah) intangibles. I'm not even going to bring up Manziel.

Regardless of how Geno finishes, I think Idzik is going to draft a QB in the 3rd-4th round range. I think that's where guys like Aaron Murray and David Fales will fall. Maybe Derek Carr.

If Geno absolutely implodes down the stretch here, the Jets will likely be in a position draft-wise to either grab Mariota/Bridgewater or they'll end up in the free agent market for a Matt Schaub/Christian Ponder-type backup and they'll pray that Next Head Coach fixes Geno over the summer. If all of that fails, then all bets are off and it becomes Suck for Jameis time.

Actually I agree.

Everyone keeps saying what a great QB class this is gong to be.  Outside of Bridgewater, who IMO isn't in Luck's category,  there is no lock.  Hopefully  the Jets scouts are sharper then I am.  some of this class depends on if the red shirt sophomore's come out.

Don't think it requires an implosion by Smith, just keep playing the way he has, and I suspect he will.  At any rate If I were Idzik, another QB is high on my must do list.  BTW I would definitely extend Rex 

Actually I agree.

Everyone keeps saying what a great QB class this is gong to be. Outside of Bridgewater, who IMO isn't in Luck's category, there is no lock. Hopefully the Jets scouts are sharper then I am. some of this class depends on if the red shirt sophomore's come out.

Don't think it requires an implosion by Smith, just keep playing the way he has, and I suspect he will. At any rate If I were Idzik, another QB is high on my must do list. BTW I would definitely extend Rex

If Geno implodes, causing the Jets to go 6-10, you'd give Ryan another young quarterback?

If Geno implodes, causing the Jets to go 6-10, you'd give Ryan another young quarterback?

Even if you don't like Rex losing Mornhinweg as the OC might hurt pending the new regime. And I don't think Mornhinweg is the second coming of Bill Walsh but he is a real life legit NFL OC, something the Jets haven't had in a real long, long time. I personally think he's the best one the Jets have ever had.

Even if you don't like Rex losing Mornhinweg as the OC might hurt pending the new regime. And I don't think Mornhinweg is the second coming of Bill Walsh but he is a real life legit NFL OC, something the Jets haven't had in a real long, long time. I personally think he's the best one the Jets have ever had.

Which is all fine and well, but you don't keep a head coach because you kinda like an offensive coordinator that was left out on the street this Spring.

Actually I would T0m.  Rex has almost no impact on the QB's.  For the first time in a long time, IMO, the Jets have an excellent OC, and QB coach.  They are my hope for Smith if the Jets have to go with him.

I would like to see what they could do with another young QB.  That doesn't mean cutting Smith, just let him have a real competition with another young QB

Which is all fine and well, but you don't keep a head coach because you kinda like an offensive coordinator that was left out on the street this Spring.

Unfortunately the perfect scenario is also impossible...which would be leaving Rex as the DC, Mornhinweg the OC and bringing in a real HC.

Actually I agree.

Everyone keeps saying what a great QB class this is gong to be.  Outside of Bridgewater, who IMO isn't in Luck's category,  there is no lock.  Hopefully  the Jets scouts are sharper then I am.  some of this class depends on if the red shirt sophomore's come out.

Don't think it requires an implosion by Smith, just keep playing the way he has, and I suspect he will.  At any rate If I were Idzik, another QB is high on my must do list.  BTW I would definitely extend Rex

Why take another QB with the same wideouts and tightends , the new QB is going to have the same problem Geno has poor wideout play the Jets have for the last 2 years ,the Jets need a play maker not another QB or someone who can cover a tightend

Comon imagine the hilarity on these boards if johnny football is announced as the pick during the draft.  ( I actually think he will succeed, hes just a walking media circus like tebow)

Why take another QB with the same wideouts and tightends , the new QB is going to have the same problem Geno has poor wideout play the Jets have for the last 2 years ,the Jets need a play maker not another QB or someone who can cover a tightend

If you don't have a QB, you don't have anything.

BTW I'm not saying Smith will definitely be a bust, i just don't want to start building a team, then in 3 years start looking for a QB as the window on the young players starts to close.

My position on Smith hasn't changed since the draft.  If they had taken him at 9 or 13 I would have been really upset.  At 39 he had some real value, and I;m glad they took him.

I'm just a long way from sold on him.  Think they need to look at other options.  If he turns out, great, if not, maybe the next guy will

Actually I would T0m.  Rex has almost no impact on the QB's.  For the first time in a long time, IMO, the Jets have an excellent OC, and QB coach.  They are my hope for Smith if the Jets have to go with him.

I would like to see what they could do with another young QB.  That doesn't mean cutting Smith, just let him have a real competition with another young QB

You really believe the complete mismanagement at QB the last 4 years had little to do with Ryan?

You really believe the complete mismanagement at QB the last 4 years had little to do with Ryan?

Absolutely

Schotty, and the last moron we had were the pits.  Rex's responsibility, or blame, goes with hiring that nit wit from Miami.  That I blame him for, but he corrected the error  in one year

Actually I agree.

If all the redshirt sophomores come out (Mariotta, Manziel, Hundley), and Bridgewater all 4 will go top 10.

I would not keep Ryan if this team bombs, but bombs is a loaded word. If he were to stay on and Geno stinks then a willingness to spend on Schaub might be all that would save him.

Schaub is worse than Mark Sanchez!!!! Product of a stacked offense, and still couldn't do sh*t winning in the playoffs with A Johnson, A Foster, and the best offensive line in the NFL, also a really good TE.

I agree, Rex has had to overcome so much adversity here

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic here or not, but your right.   The Jets' FO/ownership has always been self destructive, and that's the main reason they have been 40+ years with out a championship.

Rex is a great DC.   What makes him potentially a great HC is that his players, on both sides of the ball, love him.  Moore who just retired, said he loves him.  There is a Q&A with Mangold thread on here right now, and he says he loves him.  His guys give the most they have for him.  So far they haven't had enough.

Since the merger, the Jets have been to 4 AFC championship games.  The first one, they were cheated in by "The Don"  The HC, Walt Michaels, was fired after the game, because he was crazy.  His players loved crazy Walt.

It was a long time to the next one.  Leon went all in with the Tuna.  They fumbled the game away.  Rex has been there twice in 4 years.  Some fans want to fire him, because he's crazy.  The players don't.

This is supposedly a rebuilding year with a rookie QB (2nd one in 5 years)  A lot of Experts picked the Jets to win 1-4 games.  At the break they are 4-4.  That's damn good coaching with 7 new starters on defense, and a color blind rookie QB.

Yes, Rex has had a lot of adversity.  

He now has a good coach on the O side of the ball.  Some good young players.   If he can find a QB (Not ruling out Smith, just not close to convinced)  Good things could happen 

Archived