Salas, Nelson make Hill look bad

MexiRoll6

All I know is one thing: Unless a guy shows up and is a sure thing like say a Calvin Johnson was/is a high draft pick should never even be wasted on a WR anymore. Pick up the best guys you can find in FA or a trade but of all the positions out there they are the biggest crapshoot and the highest % of busts-like Stephen Hill is

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would bet my house that every single anti Hill poster would be the first to start posts about how could the Jets let Stephen Hill go in 2 years when he is showing his potential if the Jets let him go after this year, oh that thread would be epic!

I would bet my house that every single anti Hill poster would be the first to start posts about how could the Jets let Stephen Hill go in 2 years when he is showing his potential if the Jets let him go after this year, oh that thread would be epic!

he won't be the first guy we let go of that turned into a stellar starter: John Riggins, Hugh Douglas, James Farrior, to name a few and won't be the last. There's also the other side of that coin and one suspects that Hill's mug would be better suited to be on that one 

All I know is one thing: Unless a guy shows up and is a sure thing like say a Calvin Johnson was/is a high draft pick should never even be wasted on a WR anymore. Pick up the best guys you can find in FA or a trade but of all the positions out there they are the biggest crapshoot and the highest % of busts-like Stephen Hill is

Stephen Hill's 1st 15 games played

44 catches 592 yards 4 TD's

Calvin Johnson's 1st 15 games

48 catches 756 yards 4 TD's

Can we please wait for the kid to have a full healthy season, and one more offseason to hone the passing routes he never knew!

Can we please wait for the kid to have a full healthy season, and one more offseason to hone the passing routes he never knew!

Case in point as to why stats mean NOTHING when trying to make a comparison like this. I saw another one like this comparing someone's numbers to Peyton Mannings-it may have even been Sanchez. Hilll will never be in the same conversation with Megatron just as ridiculous as Peyton/Sanchez. You're talking about a difference maker-the BEST WR in the game today with a guy who like Shane said his rookie QB won't even look his way if he can help it

Wow, interesting comparison.  Thanks for sharing them.

Case in point as to why stats mean NOTHING when trying to make a comparison like this. I saw another one like this comparing someone's numbers to Peyton Mannings-it may have even been Sanchez. Hilll will never be in the same conversation with Megatron just as ridiculous as Peyton/Sanchez. You're talking about a difference maker-the BEST WR in the game today with a guy who like Shane said his rookie QB won't even look his way if he can help it

I disagree.  I'm not saying that Hill will be Megatron Lite, but the truth is, we don't know what this kid will develop into.  He's got all the physical talent in the world, is supposedly a good kid, wants to learn and is a hard worker.  I always wondered about his hands, but it's looking more and more like it may be a matter of focus and perhaps being a bit mentally overwhelmed.  He's still young and raw, and hasn't had that many reps due to injuries.  

The other day I compared Peyton's rookie season stats with Geno's.  Peyton had the great bloodline and of course, more experience playing in a pro-style offense, but we didn't know for certain that he'd become the great QB he has.  Similarly, was Calvin Johnson considered a "can't miss prospect" and superstar just waiting to happen?  I don't remember ever even hearing of him when he was in college and entered the NFL draft.

There's no suddenness to Hill's game.Everything takes forever to happen- kid is raw and uncoordinated. You give him 10 yards of straight away field to get going he'll outrun anyone..but his speed doesnt translate within the first 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage...whcih pretty much separates guys who can play in this league and guys who are sprinters.

Lets not also forget Hill played with what most here call the worst QB in the history of football during 1 season (based on Sanchez's 2012 season). And a rookie QB who was not ready to start in the NFL this season.

Hill has pretty much zero awareness either. Him and Nelson dont come back on the football...with Hill not even being aware of when to cut off a route. Nelson just lets smaller DB's body him.

The receivers are really, really awful....in order for us to even think about making a run...this running game needs to show up every week like the Saints game.

Hill has pretty much zero awareness either. Him and Nelson dont come back on the football...with Hill not even being aware of when to cut off a route. Nelson just lets smaller DB's body him.

The receivers are really, really awful....in order for us to even think about making a run...this running game needs to show up every week like the Saints game.

The biggest thing this Jets team needs to do to make a real run at the playoffs is to turn this current correct statement into a false one, "without Nick Folk the NY Jets could be 0-9"!

If they stop kicking FG's, and start scoring TD's we will see our front 7 on D be even better (I know tough to imagine), but just think what they would do to a Ryan Tannehill with a 20 point lead instead of an 8 point lead in the 3rd quarter (difference between settling for 3 FG's instead of scoring 3 TD's), they would be able to let Mo, Richardson, Coples, and whoever the 2 blitzers are possibly D Harris, D Davis, C Pace, or a Blitzing DB just pin there ears back, and straight up kill QB's!

The biggest thing this Jets team needs to do to make a real run at the playoffs is to turn this current correct statement into a false one, "without Nick Folk the NY Jets could be 0-9"!

If they stop kicking FG's, and start scoring TD's we will see our front 7 on D be even better (I know tough to imagine), but just think what they would do to a Ryan Tannehill with a 20 point lead instead of an 8 point lead in the 3rd quarter (difference between settling for 3 FG's instead of scoring 3 TD's), they would be able to let Mo, Richardson, Coples, and whoever the 2 blitzers are possibly D Harris, D Davis, C Pace, or a Blitzing DB just pin there ears back, and straight up kill QB's!

This current team with some real receivers and FA additions at CB and safety is a legit AFC contender.

This current team with some real receivers and FA additions at CB and safety is a legit AFC contender.

I actually think the CB position is being overly killed, I think the Jets should focus more on the Safety position, and not your typical Rex Safety, but a true CF type who can go get balls, and turn them into INT's, and then the CB's will all of a sudden start looking a lot better.

Raw isn't the word have you seen this kid play in person hes clueless he runs terrible routes he doesn't come back to the ball when the QB is in trouble he catches with his body not his hands.

He leads a bunch of nobodys who are far surpassing him on this team and contributing to our offense.

Jeffrey is 10x better drafted after Hill.

My balls are raw too I use Cruex jock itch eventually the rawness will go away.

can your balls play in the nfl dont think so 3 years people 3 years, after that if he is not better you look somewhere else but hey 2  years int he nfl  two Qbs two OCs  give the kid a break if this team gets a true #1 this guy is a not bad 2,calm down and watch,he is not a 1 with a true 1 he will be good

LOL this thread.

We've got one of the youngest, talentless rosters in football. And every week we gotta hear about cutting 2-3 guys loose because MOAR talented guys are on their couch waiting for a call from the Jets.

We gain nothing by cutting Hill loose, most WRs take 3 years to get it, stfu already.

I actually think the CB position is being overly killed, I think the Jets should focus more on the Safety position, and not your typical Rex Safety, but a true CF type who can go get balls, and turn them into INT's, and then the CB's will all of a sudden start looking a lot better.

Was assuming Cro is let go after the season...

LOL this thread.

We've got one of the youngest, talentless rosters in football. And every week we gotta hear about cutting 2-3 guys loose because MOAR talented guys are on their couch waiting for a call from the Jets.

We gain nothing by cutting Hill loose, most WRs take 3 years to get it, stfu already.

We don't have a true #1 WR on the roster with Holmes out and possibly gone after this year many said Hill would be the #1 I don't think so. I hope im wrong.

We don't have a true #1 WR on the roster with Holmes out and possibly gone after this year many said Hill would be the #1 I don't think so. I hope im wrong.

I hope diarrhea stops coming out of your brain and into these threads.

stephen Hill was on pace for a 1000 yard season through three games. in game 4 (TEN) he took a hospital pass from Geno and was violently concussed. Now he's healthy and the only Jets WR worth a damn and is actually getting double covered on key downs.  the reason why guys like salas and nelson are producing is in part because the defenses are focused on Hill. 

by the way the QB was 8-19 last week so it's not like anyone in the passing game is all that productive. 

Hill was totally invisible because he does not adjust his routes when teams blitz. He doesn't get that part yet, but that is an invaluable part of ANY WR's game. Help your QB or take a seat on the bench. I would like nothing more that for Hill to be great, but I just dout he will.

Both of these guys, in their short time with the team have made many more plays than Hill, a second round mistake by Tannenbum. Hill was invisible against the Saints, and hasn't shown any concept of getting open. There will be a lot of turnover on the Jets offense next year, particularly in the WR corps where Holmes and Hill should BOTH be elsewhere next season.

Once this team starts adding playmakers Hill can be used a lot like Dedric Ward was in the Late 90's you bring him in to the stretch the field and open things up for other aspects of the offense. I don't think he will ever develop into a consistent reception guy, a go to guy or a possession guy, so that would probably be his calling. In the long run if we do pick up 2 consistent WR's via the draft or FA Kerley if he can stay healthy will stay in the slot and Hill will become a luxury that may not stick very long.

stephen Hill was on pace for a 1000 yard season through three games. in game 4 (TEN) he took a hospital pass from Geno and was violently concussed. Now he's healthy and the only Jets WR worth a damn and is actually getting double covered on key downs.  the reason why guys like salas and nelson are producing is in part because the defenses are focused on Hill. 

by the way the QB was 8-19 last week so it's not like anyone in the passing game is all that productive. 

Idk man. 11 incompleted passes out of 19 says a lot about the WR corps. A ton of them were throw aways with 4 WR sets. Hill should be able to use his size to out position CBs in tight 1-on-1 coverage. He's a huge reach for a 2nd rounder imo. He's improving but he's still got a ways to go, it is what it is.

It's still not too late for him to start beasting between the rest of this season and next season. I think he'll be fine by next year.

I disagree simply based on the fact that anytime our offense scores, the Defense usually looks like utter crap on the following drive.  When our offense sucks, our defense is usually amazing.  I get what you are saying but we're the Jets and nothing is ever logical.

Also, I just wish Stephen Hill could stay healthy.  Sometimes I wanna kill him but other times he gets first downs and if he stays on the damn field I think he could start tipping the scales in our favor.  I don't think he'll ever be the best player on the field but hey, if Geno ends up being good, he'll make Hill better and if not, we'll find someone else.  

Archived