Stephen Hill claims he's not frustrated
November, 9, 2013
NOV 9
2:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com
  •  

Remember Stephen Hill? He used to be a wide receiver on the New York Jets

Ever since his big game against the Buffalo Bills in Week 3, Hill has disappeared from the offfense. He has only 10 catches for 107 yards and zero touchdowns over the past six games. Granted, he missed almost an entire game with a concussion (Week 5), but the lack of productivity has spanned long enough to raise questions. 

It's not like he can't get on the field. The healthiest receiver on the team, Hill has participated in a team-high 76 percent of the offensive snaps (466 out of 612), yet he hasn't received too many looks from Geno Smith -- only 24 targets in the past six games. 

Hill insisted it's not frustrating. 

"No, it's not," he said. "I go out there and do my job every play. I block when I need to block, and they get big runs off that. It showed [sunday]." 

Hill made a couple of nice downfield blocks on key running plays against the New Orleans Saints, but he wasn't drafted in the second round last year because of his blocking prowess. He's supposed to be a big-play receiver. 

So what's going on? A couple of things. 

Since Santonio Holmes' injury in Week 4, the Jets have dialed back the passing game, especially the vertical game. They've taken a conservative approach, featuring the ground attack and reducing the burden on Smith. At this stage of his career, Hill is a one-trick pony -- he stretches the field with deep routes. That element in the offense has been missing. As a result, so has Hill, who basically runs clearouts for Jeremy Kerley and David Nelson

The good news for Hill is that the Jets return from their bye next week against the Bills. He has 197 receiving yards, approximately one-third of his career total, against the Bills, who make him look like Calvin Johnson

"It could be a turning point," Hill said. "I play well against Buffalo, but I've only played Buffalo twice. I don't know what that means. Those were just mismatches at those times and we had good opportunities."

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holmes and Winslow coming back should create more open opportunities for Hill.

I would so much rather Holmes were on IR, even if that meant we miss a blow out performance along the way. I think he is kryptonite to the huddle and it's an important factor and not worth it

I would so much rather Holmes were on IR, even if that meant we miss a blow out performance along the way. I think he is kryptonite to the huddle and it's an important factor and not worth it

While I certainly agree that he's poison and cannot wait for him to get off the team, I don't think it could ever get to the point it did with Mark, mainly because how Geno carries himself. He seems to have a confidence about himself and he controls the huddle well, I just don't think he'd ever take that sh*t from Holmes. All the guys seemed to like Mark, just not sure how many really respected him.  

There was a nice quote a couple weeks back about how Geno asked all the WRs to stay after for an hour a couple times a week to go over film and practice etc and one of the media guys asked him if he's received any negative feedback over it and he responded "Hell no, they wouldn't want to feel my wrath." He said it in a joking manner, but you get the sense that he's not about to allow guys to loaf off or take any sh*t. 

give the  guy a chance hes got a new QB and OC  any way 3 years before you can say if a draft pick is or is not a bust.

The NFL is a "now" game. three years? No thanks. We got him under contract so we keep him since he isn't worth a grain of sand in a desert. Reality is, expect nothing from him cause he is just that. 

The NFL is a "now" game. three years? No thanks. We got him under contract so we keep him since he isn't worth a grain of sand in a desert. Reality is, expect nothing from him cause he is just that. 

why all this hate when we get a true #1 reciever this kid will be open,the runing game is getting there,  time is all he needs, people gave up on many players to soon just to watch them be great somewhere  else. he is not a #1 so forget that but with time he will help this team 

Three years is pretty much how long it takes the vast majority of wide receivers to "get it," and giving up on one before that is pretty ill-advised.  Outside of some of your top 10 picks, a lot of receivers have taken a good deal of time to really establish themselves. Hill just turned 22 before the season started, the kid's got plenty of time to mature and develop.

Three years is pretty much how long it takes the vast majority of wide receivers to "get it," and giving up on one before that is pretty ill-advised.  Outside of some of your top 10 picks, a lot of receivers have taken a good deal of time to really establish themselves. Hill just turned 22 before the season started, the kid's got plenty of time to mature and develop.

so true and not just WRs look at big MO this is his 3rd year and the help from snacks and others on the line has made him a greaty player also.when we get Holmes and other players that are out or hurt his play will get better Hill that is. time is all he needs and we are rebuilding right?

Wide open multiple times this year and Geno didn't get him the ball. 20 feet between him and the closest defender last week in the middle of the end zone.

He can't throw it to himself.

That's what it looks like when a quarterback and opposing defenses give up on a receiver.

With the same receiver. Every week.

He had 4 receptions the week before, 2nd most on the team overall.  You're acting like he's never thrown him the ball.

If you theory is true, Geno's a moron.  Hill hasnt had a drop problem.  You can throw him the ball under hand when he's standing in the end zone all alone if you're that worried. 

He had 4 receptions the week before, 2nd most on the team overall. You're acting like he's never thrown him the ball.

If you theory is true, Geno's a moron. Hill hasnt had a drop problem. You can throw him the ball under hand when he's standing in the end zone all alone if you're that worried.

When you're a rookie QB who throws to spots, you need the receiver to be at that spot at that exact time or it's going the other way. Because Hill runs like Jack Skellington, he gets re-routed constantly. I wouldn't throw to him against man coverage, either.

Hill did make a couple of big catches against New England on that final drive which gave me hope that he may be turning the corner and becoming the guy we all hoped he would be, then he disappeared...again.

You see that's the thing that a lot of you guys who defend these players (like Hill and DuCasse) don't get; we ALL want them to be great players, we ALL want them to NOT be a bust. We ALL, every single last one of us root for them to succeed, never to be failures so we can all buff our fingernails on our chests and say "SEE??? I told you he sucked, I'm always right, I know everything about everything". We are JETS TEAM fans, not Jets player fans.

When you're a rookie QB who throws to spots, you need the receiver to be at that spot at that exact time or it's going the other way. Because Hill runs like Jack Skellington, he gets re-routed constantly. I wouldn't throw to him against man coverage, either.

Hill has the most targets on team.  Geno looks to him.  Unfortunately for the Jets and Hill, Geno is a rookie who doesnt see the field very well yet. Hill has been open, plenty.  A couple that would be game changing plays (see Steelers game, man coverage).  

The play I'm referring to last week was a soft zone, he got a free release and was in the middle of the endzone all alone in like 1 sec flat.  I could have thrown it behind the back and it would have been a TD.

Hill is is slow developing and his production isnt living up to his selection but the QB shares plenty of blame.  

Hill did make a couple of big catches against New England on that final drive which gave me hope that he may be turning the corner and becoming the guy we all hoped he would be, then he disappeared...again.

You see that's the thing that a lot of you guys who defend these players (like Hill and DuCasse) don't get; we ALL want them to be great players, we ALL want them to NOT be a bust. We ALL, every single last one of us root for them to succeed, never to be failures so we can all buff our fingernails on our chests and say "SEE??? I told you he sucked, I'm always right, I know everything about everything". We are JETS TEAM fans, not Jets player fans.

You know how it goes, Jimmy. They rally around anyone wearing a Jets jersey, scream at anyone who points out a failing in that player, then when that player is cut, they pretend that they knew he sucked the whole time.

The only person in the world to defend Vlad was Bit.  Most people hate Hill, someone even suggested cutting him.  

See, that's the problem with a lot of the guys who just sh*t on every player who doesnt explode from day 1.  We're all Jets fans and want them to succeed, so sometimes, we defend players that we want to see play better, (some who deserve it, some who dont) because we're hopeful Jets fans who realize that if that individual player plays better, then it helps the Jets and thats what its all about.  We're Jets fans, not Jets player fans.  This happens often when a player has immense talent, 22 years old, a year into the league and playing a position which requires another player to do their job well, but is also still developing as a player himself. 

Hill made a couple of nice downfield blocks on key running plays against the New Orleans Saints, but he wasn't drafted in the second round last year because of his blocking prowess. He's supposed to be a big-play receiver. 

Shows what YOU know Cimini. Blocking was ALL Hill did in college. He only caught something like 17 passes in his collegiate career. He is a big play pass receiver ONLY in the twisted minds of Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan. Has speed but gets no separation. Has size but doesn't know how to use it to his advantage. Still does not know his route adjustments on blitzes so he is more liability than reliability. No one knows about his work ethic, so we don't know if he'll get better or simply ride off into the sunset.

Alshon Jeffery stats today: 9 catches 114 yards. 

Hill sucks

That's Tannenbaum for you. Passes over KNOWN quality for unknown quantity (Hill) because his freakin ego told him he was smarter than everyone else (yeah, right). Jeffery would be making a name for himself in NY right now, but would not have a Brandon Marshall to draw double teams here, so he might look a LOT like Hill.

Archived