Jarius Byrd

Lupz27

If the Bills don't franchise him again this offseason should the Jets look to sign him?

This does 2 things, 1. Get us a ball hawking Safety in his prime. And 2. Letting us use our first 4 picks in next years draft for the 4 offensive skill positions (QB, RB, WR, and TE), with speed, speed, speed being the main theme of those picks!

If the Bills don't franchise him again this offseason should the Jets look to sign him?

This does 2 things, 1. Get us a ball hawking Safety in his prime. And 2. Letting us use our first 4 picks in next years draft for the 4 offensive skill positions (QB, RB, WR, and TE), with speed, speed, speed being the main theme of those picks!

There is no way we will use our first 4 picks in next years draft on skill positions. I would be surprised if we used more than two on offense. This organization just does not value offense, and has not in forever. 

If we still don't get a long term deal with him (I think the Bills will change their tune on just paying him a big deal) then we'll certainly franchise tag him atleast another year. There's no doubt in that.

The Bills refused to even come close to his contract demands, and to franchise him again will add 20% on top of his current franchise number, the more likely scenario is the Bills will trade his rights to someone willing to pay him this time alla the Jets did with Revis.

The Bills refused to even come close to his contract demands, and to franchise him again will add 20% on top of his current franchise number, the more likely scenario is the Bills will trade his rights to someone willing to pay him this time alla the Jets did with Revis.

Yep

It won't be the Jets though 

I had been saying here before the season started that we need to use Cro's money to signs both Byrd and CB Vontae Davis.

Interesting point I didnt even think about. If Jets grab a top player on defense to fill defensive holes, that opens up more dice rolling in the draft for offensive players. Truthfully we should draft at least one TE and one WR in the first 3 rounds regardless

Interesting point I didnt even think about. If Jets grab a top player on defense to fill defensive holes, that opens up more dice rolling in the draft for offensive players. Truthfully we should draft at least one TE and one WR in the first 3 rounds regardless

If this keeps going the way it's going, we should draft a quarterback before anything.

If this keeps going the way it's going, we should draft a quarterback before anything.

Meh, I know we got great value for Geno but I disliked taking a quarterback this past draft more than anyone because I knew the talent coming in this years draft would be plentiful and strong. Having said that, now that we have Geno there is no shot Jets draft another quarterback this year and I think they would be doing the right thing by passing on QB...they will probably sign an old vet to come in and back him up instead. Like I said, we need to address the offensive skill positions. 

My question is if they are going to go after another guard in this upcoming draft, that would be interesting. 

Also, I think Geno is playing well. He was really exposed last week against the bills though...no one has gotten to him like that all season. We lost the battle in the trenches and I think teams are going to have better plans for him now, I hope our o-line holds up. He has major problems recognizing when some of these linebackers are dropping into coverage, that has been annoying. But he has the arm for the deep ball and the laser type throws, he is elusive and can make plays on his feet, hes not afraid to get hit either so he holds up in the pocket well. His weaknesses are fixable...recognizing the defense and holding the ball too long are fixable problems. I do agree though that he may not have what it takes...we just have to wait and see though if his INTs are because hes inaccurate or because he's not seeing the defense the right way. 

Meh, I know we got great value for Geno but I disliked taking a quarterback this past draft more than anyone because I knew the talent coming in this years draft would be plentiful and strong. Having said that, now that we have Geno there is no shot Jets draft another quarterback this year and I think they would be doing the right thing by passing on QB...they will probably sign an old vet to come in and back him up instead. Like I said, we need to address the offensive skill positions.

My question is if they are going to go after another guard in this upcoming draft, that would be interesting.

Also, I think Geno is playing well. He was really exposed last week against the bills though...no one has gotten to him like that all season. We lost the battle in the trenches and I think teams are going to have better plans for him now, I hope our o-line holds up. He has major problems recognizing when some of these linebackers are dropping into coverage, that has been annoying. But he has the arm for the deep ball and the laser type throws, he is elusive and can make plays on his feet, hes not afraid to get hit either so he holds up in the pocket well. His weaknesses are fixable...recognizing the defense and holding the ball too long are fixable problems. I do agree though that he may not have what it takes...we just have to wait and see though if his INTs are because hes inaccurate or because he's not seeing the defense the right way.

Because of his Mobility I think Geno will always be the type of QB who holds the ball to long alla Ben Rothlisberger (I know he isn't a running QB, but he is mobile inside the pocket), but the difference between Geno, and a guy like Big Ben is Geno doesn't have the pocket presence others do, he almost always bails backwards like Sanchez, sure that might have worked in college because you could just out run every DL, and LB around corners to get off throws while buying time, but in the NFL you can't do that, that is the #1 reason why QB's turn over the ball, and take huge yardage losses in the NFL.

I haven't seen any progress in this, or the starring down his 1st read, and I'm not sold he will ever feel comfortable inside the pocket, IMO that's something you either have, or something you develop over YEARS of coaching, and practice, and that's something fair, or not Geno won't get here. Not many have the comfort level to calmly move around the pocket, and that's why their is so few great QB's. This is also why the read option offense has really caught on in the NFL, if the D truly respects the QB's ability to take it, or he can sell the hand off really well it freezes the D buying the QB an extra second he wouldn't normally have so they can stay in the pocket without feeling pressured, and that added second is an eternity in the NFL. Again their are only a few QB's who can do this consistently successfully, and Geno is not one of them, and IMO won't be, it's not who he is a QB.

The only QB that I noticed who is fearless, and instinctual inside the pocket making the right decision on how to move inside, or the proper area, and time to bail from the pocket is Manziel, and he also has the highest upside to be succesful freezing defenses using the read option at the next level. But there are a lot of other questions about Manziel on field, and off field that could make him a huge bust to.

I don't know who it will be, but IMO there will be 1, maybe as many as 3 top NFL QB's to come out of this draft, but I don't think anyone can say sure fire can't miss prospect with anyone except maybe (arguably thou) Bridgewater.

Good chance one of the QB's picked in the 3rd round, or later turns out to be the best QB in this draft, if the Jets don't have one of the QB's rated in the top of the 1st fall in their lap then that is where (3rd, or 4th round) I would be ok taking another QB in this years draft. If Manziel is there thou when we pick, and Geno doesn't show convincingly he is a franchise QB (and if he doesn't this would make the odds higher the Jets will get a crack at a Manziel, bad QB usually means a lot of losing, Jets could easily be 0-10 without Nick Folk) you have to take him with that upside, sign a veteran who can start in this league, and let the 3 QB's battle it out in camp (best case scenario if Geno still sucks by the end of the season).

There is no way we will use our first 4 picks in next years draft on skill positions. I would be surprised if we used more than two on offense. This organization just does not value offense, and has not in forever.

Not as long as Rex is around that's for sure. Except that Rex has missed on as many defensive draft picks as he has found. Mo Wilkerson (good) Damario Davis (good), Quintin Coples (so-so), Kyle Wilson (total bust), Dee Milliner (see Wilson). Plus the offensive busts list has grown very large, beginning with Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Stephen Hill, Vlad Ducasse and the guys he has sent away that still contribute like Jerricho Cotchery, who would be a BIG help right about now.

Archived