Peyton Manning was a rookie once too....

AFJF

I hope we just put Simms in for a game at this point so everyone will be happy. He threw a perfect pass to McKelvin who did his best Stephen Hill impression. We're not contenders and our entire offense is a botched abortion. I didn't want Geno starting the season to begin with. No rookie should have been thrown into that from day one. Rex sucks with QB's, I'm just waiting for Geno to get his color coded, neuter me wist band. Unless you can lure a legit veteran which doesn't happen or draft Andrew Luck all this talk of "Just Give Rex a QB" is a moot point.

Seriously the offense blows but so does the entire NFL. This team managed to beat the Saints and the Patriots. If our Dline gets hot we can beat anyone. Peyton's going to be throwing flutter balls in the playoffs again. The second Brady senses pressure he falls down.

This team needs a spark and if it's Phill Simms so be it. Geno isnt learning anything putting up points for the other team. We can't lean on the run game like in 2009. And in 2009 the majority of the bad turnovers came in a few games. They're happening every game with Geno. Sanchez sat a game his rookie year. We signed Ed Reed. Simms is coming sooner rather than later most likely.

The rotating win loss thing is the first time it's happened in NFL history. Change something up. Baltimore is going to send 8 guys at Geno every play minimum.

occasional TD ?

lol

manning made mistakes, but there were flashes of brilliance where you could see he would get better

geno has 1 TD pass in his last 5 games

I agree 100%.

Their are QB's that come in this league and no matter how bad they look as a rookie (and sometimes they look great even as a rookie), you know that they are surefire, no doubt, flat out Franchise QB stars like:

Namath

Bradshaw

Elway

Manning

Luck

Thes 5 I believe could have put up single digit QBR's and no one would have cared as you just knew they were special.

Then you have the list where you go, HUH, where did that come, you had a feeling they were great but HOF come on?

Montana

Brady

Staubach

Rodgers

Favre

I think in this next draft although deep, most will fit the 2nd category.

The reason Simms is not starting right now is because if the Jets drop the next two (even if he plays decent) the fans will all be like "well they were in the playoffs two weeks ago when Geno was in there". If Geno falters this week (which he will) and the Jets lose they will no longer mathematically be in the playoffs. That is when you put Simms in there. I think this has been the Jets thinking all along. Its probably why Rex was quick to answer the question on whether or not Geno would start this week.

The reason Simms is not starting right now is because if the Jets drop the next two (even if he plays decent) the fans will all be like "well they were in the playoffs two weeks ago when Geno was in there". If Geno falters this week (which he will) and the Jets lose they will no longer mathematically be in the playoffs. That is when you put Simms in there. I think this has been the Jets thinking all along. Its probably why Rex was quick to answer the question on whether or not Geno would start this week.

Nah.  I think they like Geno (or liked him for weeks & weeks) and don't think much of Simms.  Plus they want to be 100% sure they've exhausted every opportunity for Smith so there's no question to move on if/when the Jets' picks come up and there are QBs available who aren't reaches (particularly if it's round 1).  The latter is as good of a reason as any.  I don't know if it holds water, as 2 more games don't tell you whether or not the guy's going to be good or a bust, but I can understand how a GM/HC/OC/QBC can huddle together and rationalize that through.

If they liked Simms that much Geno would have been yanked by halftime.  Instead they stuck with him until there was no chance of a comeback (and then took him out to protect him from unnecessary injury like occurred with Sanchez), and then gave him the starting nod for the following week.  I think they like him better than they did McElroy a year ago, but still not that much.  That's what their actions say.

Nah.  I think they like Geno (or liked him for weeks & weeks) and don't think much of Simms.  Plus they want to be 100% sure they've exhausted every opportunity for Smith so there's no question to move on if/when the Jets' picks come up and there are QBs available who aren't reaches (particularly if it's round 1).  The latter is as good of a reason as any.  I don't know if it holds water, as 2 more games don't tell you whether or not the guy's going to be good or a bust, but I can understand how a GM/HC/OC/QBC can huddle together and rationalize that through.

If they liked Simms that much Geno would have been yanked by halftime.  Instead they stuck with him until there was no chance of a comeback (and then took him out to protect him from unnecessary injury like occurred with Sanchez), and then gave him the starting nod for the following week.  I think they like him better than they did McElroy a year ago, but still not that much.  That's what their actions say.

Time will tell. My bet is that the second we are back out of a playoff spot Simms will be in there. The only way this doesnt happen is if by some miracle Geno plays well in a loss (which has yet to happen). You just can't pull Geno right now from a PR/second guess standpoint.

Also, Rex has not been as supportive of Geno as he was of Sanchez his rookie year or any year for that matter. Rex always said last year that Sanchez gave the team the best chance to win. At today's press conference he refused to say that. Very telling in my eyes.

Time will tell. My bet is that the second we are back out of a playoff spot Simms will be in there. The only way this doesnt happen is if by some miracle Geno plays well in a loss (which has yet to happen). You just can't pull Geno right now from a PR/second guess standpoint.

Also, Rex has not been as supportive of Geno as he was of Sanchez his rookie year or any year for that matter. Rex always said last year that Sanchez gave the team the best chance to win. At today's press conference he refused to say that. Very telling in my eyes.

Perhaps, but it was also instantaneously after the game he said Geno is still the starter.  I agree that he's never given him his lovable-squeezable treatment to the press like he did with Sanchez, but he also (figuratively) slapped Sanchez around when he said Sanchez didn't win the starting job a day after Sanchez boasted that he had.

It's all pretty inconsistent and IMO too difficult to really get a take on how he feels about Smith for certain.  I don't know if his lack of gooey words is him trying to grow as a coach by not slobbering all over him at every press conference.  His criticism of Smith has been much harsher, but I really have no idea if that's just him trying to change as a coach.  The starting job was clearly Geno's after the injury, and he wouldn't pronounce Smith as the starter for the rest of the season at any point (even after a good game).  At the same time he wouldn't consider starting someone else the following week even after a brutal showing like Sunday.  So I can't get a read on Rex's feelings one way or the other for sure as they pertain to Smith.

Perhaps, but it was also instantaneously after the game he said Geno is still the starter.  I agree that he's never given him his lovable-squeezable treatment to the press like he did with Sanchez, but he also (figuratively) slapped Sanchez around when he said Sanchez didn't win the starting job a day after Sanchez boasted that he had.

It's all pretty inconsistent and IMO too difficult to really get a take on how he feels about Smith for certain.  I don't know if his lack of gooey words is him trying to grow as a coach by not slobbering all over him at every press conference.  His criticism of Smith has been much harsher, but I really have no idea if that's just him trying to change as a coach.  The starting job was clearly Geno's after the injury, and he wouldn't pronounce Smith as the starter for the rest of the season at any point (even after a good game).  At the same time he wouldn't consider starting someone else the following week even after a brutal showing like Sunday.  So I can't get a read on Rex's feelings one way or the other for sure as they pertain to Smith.

You make a good point that Rex is hard to read. We shall see what happens. What worries me the most about all of this is that if Simms is another McElroy that would mean another year that this franchise could not find a serviceable QB. I'm not asking for much. Carson Palmer or Matt Schaub would be fine. Meanwhile Mike Glennon seems to be be a better QB than Geno at this point. What a cluster that would be.

Rex was quick about answering that question because he makes changes when they no longer matter. Rex is one of the main problems with the team.

You make a good point that Rex is hard to read. We shall see what happens. What worries me the most about all of this is that if Simms is another McElroy that would mean another year that this franchise could not find a serviceable QB. I'm not asking for much. Carson Palmer or Matt Schaub would be fine. Meanwhile Mike Glennon seems to be be a better QB than Geno at this point. What a cluster that would be.

Glennon was the most pro-ready of all of them. People were definitely turned off by his Senior Bowl...and most likely their perception of no one taking him seriously as a leader.

Glennon was the most pro-ready of all of them. People were definitely turned off by his Senior Bowl...and most likely their perception of no one taking him seriously as a leader.

This is kind of the job of the GM to sift through the BS. So far it looks like there were better QB's than Geno picked before and after him in the draft. And btw, that playmaker we needed? It looks like he was picked right before #9. I know Richardson is amazing - but the rest of the draft looks someplace between terrible and horrible.

Glennon was a two-year starter who completed less than 60% of his passes and led the nation in interceptions his senior year. If he works out, it'll be bad process/good result, which I can live with.

Glennon didn't have Geno's weapons either. If the NFL scouts only relied on stats, Ken Dorsey would have been a first round pick. This is all part of the GM's job.

I agree 100%.

Their are QB's that come in this league and no matter how bad they look as a rookie (and sometimes they look great even as a rookie), you know that they are surefire, no doubt, flat out Franchise QB stars like:

Namath

Bradshaw

Elway

Manning

Luck

Thes 5 I believe could have put up single digit QBR's and no one would have cared as you just knew they were special.

Then you have the list where you go, HUH, where did that come, you had a feeling they were great but HOF come on?

Montana

Brady

Staubach

Rodgers

Favre

I think in this next draft although deep, most will fit the 2nd category.

i'm sorry but i'm slightly confused by this post. are you saying that montana shouldnt be in the HOF?

i'm sorry but i'm slightly confused by this post. are you saying that montana shouldnt be in the HOF?

No, Im saying when he came into the league as a 3rd round pick, with an average arm, average size, you didnt immediately say, wow, that guys a surefire star, like you did with say ELWAY or Manning, but he proved he was the best but certainly no one saw that coming when he dropped to the 3rd round in the draft.

No, Im saying when he came into the league as a 3rd round pick, with an average arm, average size, you didnt immediately say, wow, that guys a surefire star, like you did with say ELWAY or Manning, but he proved he was the best but certainly no one saw that coming when he dropped to the 3rd round in the draft.

so you think most of the qb prospects in this upcoming draft will be HOF caliber?

so you think most of the qb prospects in this upcoming draft will be HOF caliber?

No I said,most will fit into the 2nd category where you wont immediately go wow, they are HOF, like Manning, Elway, Namath etc who you knew the minute they steeped on an NFL field, they were special.

The 2nd category are guys that werent Surefire Franchise HOF material when they came out of college but proved many wrong, like Montana (a 3rd round pick), Brady (a 6th round pick)etc.

Staubach was a tough one, as he was a first, but coming out of the Navy, you just werent sure, but wow, what a QB he was.

No I said,most will fit into the 2nd category where you wont immediately go wow, they are HOF, like Manning, Elway, Namath etc who you knew the minute they steeped on an NFL field, they were special.

The 2nd category are guys that werent Surefire Franchise HOF material when they came out of college but proved many wrong, like Montana (a 3rd round pick), Brady (a 6th round pick)etc.

Staubach was a tough one, as he was a first, but coming out of the Navy, you just werent sure, but wow, what a QB he was.

oh ok.....i'm just a little slow tonight i guess

My fear of Geno coming out of college was - was it the QB or the offense that made the QB.  Geno has shown he does not know how to be a QB - yet, the problem then becomes is the pressure too great, the ego too large or the brain too small to learn now.  In college all Geno had to do was look for Austin every down - he didn't have to think - its the thinking that's killing him and the staring down a receiver, who unlike Austin, isn't going to burst open.

I was high on the Mohrinweg hiring - and this was Marty's guy, I was hoping Marty would have a nice short passing rhythm offense installed....oh well...lack of weapons is only part of the problem.

My fear of Geno coming out of college was - was it the QB or the offense that made the QB.  Geno has shown he does not know how to be a QB - yet, the problem then becomes is the pressure too great, the ego too large or the brain too small to learn now.  In college all Geno had to do was look for Austin every down - he didn't have to think - its the thinking that's killing him and the staring down a receiver, who unlike Austin, isn't going to burst open.

I was high on the Mohrinweg hiring - and this was Marty's guy, I was hoping Marty would have a nice short passing rhythm offense installed....oh well...lack of weapons is only part of the problem.

I watched Geno alot in college, and it reminded me alot of the USC Qb's who get all kinds of time to stand back there and then throw to guys who run 4.3 and 4.4 forties against d-backs who run 4.7 and 4.8's. They were wide open, no small window, and the last game I watched him in was the Pinstripe bowl against Syracuse, and remember saying. Geez, this guy may be worth the Jets taking, but I was talking about RYAN NASSIB, as I watched Syracuse Pressure Geno all day, and thought, man, he will face 10 times that pressure in the NFL, no thanks on the WVU QB.

In contrast, I have watched Johnny Manziel alot this year, especially in the ALABAMA game where they brought the house, against Manziel, pressured him all day, but some of the throws and windows he threw into that day were mind boggling. I remember one throw where A+M was on like the Alabama 20, and Manziel, under pressure threw a frozen rope to a receiver in the end zone for a TD, and they showed the view from behind Manziel, and the amount of defenders, and the small windows those defenders created, and the ball sailed through about 4 Alabama defenders with perfect coverage for a TD strike. At that moment, I said, that dude is an NFL QB.

Archived