flgreen

Sunday notes: Rex Ryan's QB dilemma

November, 24, 2013

NOV 24

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Thoughts and observations on the see-saw New York Jets:

1. A decision with ramifications: If Rex Ryan benches the struggling Geno Smith at some point, it means Smith's season-long audition is over. The Jets would try to spin it another way, of course, but you don't replace a second-round pick in a playoff race for an unproven commodity (Matt Simms) unless you're absolutely convinced Smith isn't the answer. They'd be admitting they blew the draft pick. That's why I think Ryan, with perhaps nudging from GM John Idzik, won't make a panic move.

Many fans are screaming for Simms, but be careful for what you wish for.

"He's a developing reserve," said an AFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "You know when he goes in, the game is over. He has size and arm talent, but I think he's a good No. 3 who has some developmental upside. ... You have to take some lumps with [smith]. He's a second-rounder, not a top-10 guy. Get the ball out of his hand, give him easy reads and throws. Run the ball and run it some more. Let him manage the game and not be the difference maker."

Easier said than done, as the Jets are finding out. Ryan is in a tough spot. He needs wins to save his job, but he's stuck with a limited quarterback situation -- one he helped create.

Will the Jets use another early draft pick to select a QB if rookie Geno Smith continues to struggle the rest of the season?

2. This makes no sense: QB David Garrard is on the team for one reason only -- to serve as a mentor to Smith. Garrard is a good and willing teacher, but his arrival has coincided with Smith's downturn. In the five games before Garrard's arrival, Smith was 3-2 with a respectable passer rating of 80. In five games with Garrard at his side, Smith is 2-3 with an atrocious 48 rating. It's probably coincidence, but it's weird, no?

3. Back-to-back QBs?: This question has been coming up a lot lately: If the Jets aren't happy with Smith, could they pick another quarterback in the next draft? It wouldn't be unprecedented for a team to use two high picks on a quarterback in consecutive drafts. The last time it happened was 2010-11, when the Carolina Panthers picked Jimmy Clausen in the second round (No. 48 overall) and Cam Newton in the first (No. 1 overall), respectively. Clausen went 1-9 as a rookie, so Newton was a no-brainer. It would be different for the Jets, who probably will be picking in the middle of the first round. By then, the franchise-type quarterbacks will be gone, complicating the decision. If Smith doesn't make dramatic improvement over the final six games, the Jets have to be in the quarterback market.

4. Rex's tough love: Ryan has come down hard on WR Stephen Hill in recent days, basically calling him a disappointment. It's not like Ryan to criticize a player publicly, but I think this is an attempt by the coach to motivate the former second-round pick. Ryan threatened to cut Hill's playing time, but coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said he expects Hill to play his usual amount of snaps -- the 'ol good cop-bad cop routine. If this is, in fact, a motivational ploy, it doesn't reflect well on Hill's desire.

5. Jimmy & Mo: With the 30th pick in the 2011 draft, the Jets were prepared to pick CB Jimmy Smith, according to a league source. It would've been a controversial pick because of his off-the-field issues. They never got the chance because the Baltimore Ravens chose him with the 27th pick. The Jets gladly settled for DE Muhammad Wilkerson, which hasn't worked out too badly. I'd say the Jets got the better of the deal, but Smith has narrowed the gap. He's arguably the most improved player on the Ravens. Over the past five games, he has allowed only 12 completions (23 targets) for 131 yards and no touchdowns, according to ProFootballFocus.com.

6. The "Butt Fumble" jinx: Friday was the one-year anniversary of perhaps the most infamous play in Jets history -- the Butt Fumble. It's interesting to look back at what has happened to the players directly involved in the play: They're all recovering from surgery, except one -- RG Brandon Moore, who is retired.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez is out for the season after shoulder surgery. Ditto, FB Lex Hilliard, who was supposed to get the handoff on the aborted play. New England Patriots DT Vince Wilfork, who was rushing against Moore, tore his Achilles' tendon in late September and underwent season-ending surgery. Safety Steve Gregory, who recovered the fumble and returned it for a touchdown, is recovering from thumb surgery; he may return to the lineup Sunday night against the Denver Broncos. Moore, whose rear end became the most talked about body part in the NFL, was the lucky one. He's out of football, his health intact.

7. From the Weird-Minutiae Dept.: The Jets have run 647 offensive plays, and only once have they used this particular lineup combination -- RB Alex Green, FB Tommy Bohanon and WRs Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley and Hill, according to NFL stats. That one play resulted in the longest score of the season, Smith to Holmes for 69 yards. Maybe it's time to try it again.

8. Man on a mission: When the Jets signed David Nelson in Week 5, they got more than a wide receiver. Nelson has a Tim Tebow-like ambition to make an impact off the field. He and his brothers, Patrick and Daniel, are raising money to build a residential village for orphans in Haiti. Their plan is to house 100 orphans. If you'd like to read more about it, or would like to make a pledge, check out their website: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/house-the-vision.

9. Not an ordinary Joe: When will the Pro Football Hall of Fame finally recognize Joe Klecko? He was one of the premier defensive linemen in the 1980s, making the Pro Bowl at three different positions on the line -- nose tackle, tackle and end. But he's not even on the HOF radar. That's just wrong.

10. Geno's fashion statement: Stu Woo of the Wall Street Journal did a nice job of picking up on Smith's postgame dressing habits. Trying to project a positive image, Smith always wears a business suit to his postgame news conference. As soon as it's over, he changes into sweats and sneakers. Say this about the rookie: He does and says all the right things. He just needs to ... you know, play better

What is that AFC scout who spoke anonymously talking about when it comes to Simms? I have a feeling similar things would have been said about Brady in 2000. I'm not saying Simms is a Brady, but almost everything I've seen out of him has been good when he has played, in the pre season and regular season. The NFL is crazy, no one really knows what QB will end up being great or a bust, I'm just saying, give Simms a chance, I don't see how he could be worse than Geno. If Geno struggles early today, I'd pull him at half time. If Rex believes his job is on the line, he will do what needs to be done, but I have a fear that benching Geno isn't really up to him unless it's a situation like Cincy and Buf where the game was lost before 0:00

So who wants to give Rex Zach Mettenburger and start the process all over again???

Who said anything about Rex being back first of all? Secondly the Jets cannot start over with ANOTHER rookie QB. Sign a FA like Cutler or Rivers - I believe BOTH will be available and draft WR's and OL and secondary guys. This team SUCKS. Rex sucks, Geno sucks, Marty sucks, Stephen Hill was targeted ONCE and DROPPED IT. Lots of guys should hit the street after this lousy season.

sanchez is 3x the qb that gino smith is. I know, sounds crazy, but it is the truth. geno is super, duper terrible

Sanchez would be the STARTER right now if healthy are you kidding me? People forget that he is under contract next year, it just isn't guaranteed. I am NOT advocating Sanchez being back but he would be a huge upgrade over Geno. He said one thing correctly when he said "I'm not Mark." Your right Geno NOT EVEN.

Who said anything about Rex being back first of all? Secondly the Jets cannot start over with ANOTHER rookie QB. Sign a FA like Cutler or Rivers - I believe BOTH will be available and draft WR's and OL and secondary guys. This team SUCKS. Rex sucks, Geno sucks, Marty sucks, Stephen Hill was targeted ONCE and DROPPED IT. Lots of guys should hit the street after this lousy season.

Really have you watched the chargers and Rivers play? Chargers are not letting Rivers go and I doubt Rivers wants to go either. Cutler probably stays in Chicago to, this old hope of somehow getting a starting qb in free agency is a pipe dream, it's not happening. We need to draft a qb.

If Rex Ryan benches the struggling Geno Smith at some point, it means Smith's season-long audition is over. The Jets would try to spin it another way, of course, but you don't replace a second-round pick in a playoff race for an unproven commodity (Matt Simms) unless you're absolutely convinced Smith isn't the answer.

Even by Cimini's standards, this is stupefyingly incorrect.

Even by Cimini's standards, this is stupefyingly incorrect.

you are so right, this is the stuff that drives me nuts!....this is why I said Rex is too afraid of the mediamto make a change....since when is a 2nd round rookie unbenchable?...when??....every time you sit a guy now the media calls it a wasted pick...parcells used to sit guys all the time and tell the media to F off...." we needed a spark next question"...cimini and mehta have more say in who plays qb right now than our frightened head coach...disgusting

There is no dilemma. Based on today's playcalling this CS doesn;t think much of Smith.Pay Simms and find out what you have. Because otherwise Simms will end up either with the Pats or Jints as a backup in 2014, and that is gonna be really embarrassing if he turns intoa decent backup or more. This front office and CS are IDIOTS.

Once again Jets post game echoes what I said ALL DAY...Conservative play calling is causing them to lose...7 pass attempts in first half = you lose.

sh*t, they need to hire me as a coach.

I'm not sure that you'd have the time, you're too busy patting yourself on the back.

If Rex pulls the trigger now and Simms is successful he saves his job and no one is even talking about a wasted 2nd round pick because they found a QB and now you move on to finding him a WR. If they stick with Geno imo he will not be anything more than average qb who needs supreme talent all around him to be any good. THE GREAT QBS ELEVATE THE PLAY OF THOSE AROUND HIM. Tom Brady does not need round one talent to be successful, either at WR or at the offensive line cause he gets the ball out quick. Simms delivery of the football is faster and more accurate. Genos telegraphs his throws too much and he takes forever to have to step into his throws. They call the game conservative cause it's too complicated for Geno. Simms comes from an extensive QB background that i believe gives him the tools to execute and a higher degree of difficulty. 

I believe that if rex sticks with Geno and they miss the playoffs, Idzick will convince woody to get rid of Ryan saying that he just didnt know how to use Geno because Idzick will not want to admit that his pick was a fail. They will go with Geno as the starter even though Simms will again have a better preseason and probably draft another QB that they will start ahead of Simms because of front office politics. Im starting to  think one of the reasons Phill Simms hates the Jets and doesnt want his son playing for them is cause he knows the front office is only interested in headlines. I fear Simms will only get an opportunity if rex grows a pair and says screw Idzick and starts Simms from here on out. 

I dont care about making the playoffs, i just want to know that weve got a qb or not for the future. this is an issue with the jets that needs to be finally put to rest and my gut tells me Simms, the guy from NJ/NY whose dad led the cross town rival giants to a super bowl, is the guy for this team...i know it sounds fairy tale but that how i feel. i mean come on, Brady's story is like beyond fairy tale...fairy tales are based on stories of tom brady....

If Rex pulls the trigger now and Simms is successful he saves his job and no one is even talking about a wasted 2nd round pick because they found a QB and now you move on to finding him a WR. If they stick with Geno imo he will not be anything more than average qb who needs supreme talent all around him to be any good. THE GREAT QBS ELEVATE THE PLAY OF THOSE AROUND HIM. Tom Brady does not need round one talent to be successful, either at WR or at the offensive line cause he gets the ball out quick. Simms delivery of the football is faster and more accurate. Genos telegraphs his throws too much and he takes forever to have to step into his throws. They call the game conservative cause it's too complicated for Geno. Simms comes from an extensive QB background that i believe gives him the tools to execute and a higher degree of difficulty. 

I believe that if rex sticks with Geno and they miss the playoffs, Idzick will convince woody to get rid of Ryan saying that he just didnt know how to use Geno because Idzick will not want to admit that his pick was a fail. They will go with Geno as the starter even though Simms will again have a better preseason and probably draft another QB that they will start ahead of Simms because of front office politics. Im starting to  think one of the reasons Phill Simms hates the Jets and doesnt want his son playing for them is cause he knows the front office is only interested in headlines. I fear Simms will only get an opportunity if rex grows a pair and says screw Idzick and starts Simms from here on out. 

I dont care about making the playoffs, i just want to know that weve got a qb or not for the future. this is an issue with the jets that needs to be finally put to rest and my gut tells me Simms, the guy from NJ/NY whose dad led the cross town rival giants to a super bowl, is the guy for this team...i know it sounds fairy tale but that how i feel. i mean come on, Brady's story is like beyond fairy tale...fairy tales are based on stories of tom brady....

Don't completely agree with you last paragraph. But if I'm a HC on a short leash I have to find out if this guy can be player.Clear they think nothing of Smith, so what's the point with him?

Thing about Simms is he had some serious adversity in college, some of it his own doing.Between that and a dad who ahs done it suspect he has the mental ability and he has an arm. Those variables are in his favor. And he has been better than Smith every time he gets on the field. This is not a playoff team either way. Right now not playing him over Smith because Smith was picked in the 2nd round(really that's the only logical reason Smith is still starting) is moronic. But to let Simms go at the end of the year and never find out if you have something to keep playing crappy Smith is criminal.

Archived