If Danny Woodhead were still a Jet, he'd be the best playmaker we have...

Integrity28

on offense. No question.

To me, the mindless handling of Woodhead, a player who has gone on to out-produce every offensive player who was on the Jets roster at the time of his release, since the time of his release, is one of the top 3 indictments of Rex Ryan.

Easily one of the more stupid results of a regime defined by empty boasts, stupidity and the best man not getting the job.

Agreed. Rex personally drafted McNight and the Terminator and saw nothing in Woodhead. THATS REX!

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny Woodhead rushed seven times for 22 yards in San Diego's Week 13 loss to the Bengals, adding two catches for just 13 yards.

Today was just the third time all season that Woodhead was held to fewer than four catches, but second in three weeks. He got out-touched 19-9 by a gimpy Ryan Mathews (hamstring), and out-gained 92-35. The 35 yards from scrimmage were Woodhead's fewest since Week 1. With four games to go, Woodhead is on pace for 1,027 yards from scrimmage, and 81 catches. He'll be a PPR RB2 for the fantasy playoffs, and solid FLEX option in standard leagues.

Danny Woodhead rushed seven times for 22 yards in San Diego's Week 13 loss to the Bengals, adding two catches for just 13 yards.

Today was just the third time all season that Woodhead was held to fewer than four catches, but second in three weeks. He got out-touched 19-9 by a gimpy Ryan Mathews (hamstring), and out-gained 92-35. The 35 yards from scrimmage were Woodhead's fewest since Week 1. With four games to go, Woodhead is on pace for 1,027 yards from scrimmage, and 81 catches. He'll be a PPR RB2 for the fantasy playoffs, and solid FLEX option in standard leagues.

Centerpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually agree with I-28 on this one.  Not that Woodhead is all that and a bag of chips but he complements the backfield better than the other dogs on this roster.

Good complimentary back and JAG, yes.  Best playmaker we'd have?  No.  But if you ask the Ape you'll see that the former is all he meant as he backtracked from his "centerpiece" statement over the course of the thread.

Good complimentary back and JAG, yes.  Best playmaker we'd have?  No.  But if you ask the Ape you'll see that the former is all he meant as he backtracked from his "centerpiece" statement over the course of the thread.

The way Woodhead was being used mid-season, he was the centerpiece of what they were doing. That being said, my original post to start this thread stands as the important point I was making. The word centerpiece came out of my back and forth with crusher, and then you read far more into than I meant and you hammered on it. I didn't backtrack, I better qualified the statement.

If you actually watch football, you can see defenses adjusted to what the Chargers were doing with Woodhead. For a while, they were gobbling up defenses with him.

Ivory, Kerley, Holmes. 

Ivory is a younger Shonn Greene...solid but not a consistent playmaker....Kerley...not even a poor man's Wes Welker...Holmes has sucked every since he got paid.

Sad state of affairs for Jets fans but Woodhead would fit right in.  Maybe we need to claim the Jags name cause that's what we have here.

Ivory, Kerley, Holmes. 

Again, you fail to comprehend context.

At the time this thread was started, Holmes was NOT PLAYING and hadn't played for the better part of 2 years. Kerley was out indefinitely with that weird elbow injury. Ivory looked good in ONE game vs. the Saints.

Context you nincompoop.

Woodhead would still be a primary play-maker for is if he were here, probably more instrumental to consistent offensive production than Holmes and Kerley, maybe not Ivory. Thought they'd be great used in tandem.

If Mark Sancez was the QB of the NY Jets, they'd be playoff bound.

Really?  Because I'm pretty sure there's no way we win the Bucs, Bills, Saints, or 2nd Pats game with Sanchez under center.

As bad as Geno is, at least he put together a half-season where he was competent for half the games.  Sanchez never did that in 4 years here.

Again, you fail to comprehend context.

At the time this thread was started, Holmes was NOT PLAYING and hadn't played for the better part of 2 years. Kerley was out indefinitely with that weird elbow injury. Ivory looked good in ONE game vs. the Saints.

Context you nincompoop.

Woodhead would still be a primary play-maker for is if he were here, probably more instrumental to consistent offensive production than Holmes and Kerley, maybe not Ivory. Thought they'd be great used in tandem.

Vaulting Woodhead up our "playmaker" chart via injury doesn't make him better than those guys.  The title of the thread was "Best playmaker we have".  I interpreted that to mean best on our roster. 

You can't really fault the injured guys unless there's a pattern of injuries (I.E. fragility) that meant we should have known better before bringing them in.  As far as I know, only Ivory had any sort of injury history like that.

Really? Because I'm pretty sure there's no way we win the Bucs, Bills, Saints, or 2nd Pats game with Sanchez under center.

As bad as Geno is, at least he put together a half-season where he was competent for half the games. Sanchez never did that in 4 years here.

None of what you said is true. You have no idea how he would operate under Marty's system or how games would turn out with him under center. Neither do I but based on how Geno has played and how Sanchez played previously, Sanchez would be an improvement.

Also, Sanchez never had a QB rating as low as Geno's currently is. So, yeah. You're wrong.

None of what you said is true. You have no idea how he would operate under Marty's system or how games would turn out with him under center. Neither do I but based on how Geno has played and how Sanchez played previously, Sanchez would be an improvement.

Also, Sanchez never had a QB rating as low as Geno's currently is. So, yeah. You're wrong.

LOL Geno led game-winning drives in those 4 games.  That's more times than Sanchez did in his career.  Your defense of him is disgusting.

Yes, he'd fit right in.  But he wouldn't make plays if he was expected to be one of the top guys.  We'd be complaining about why a 4 foot guy is all we have and how good he was in the 2nd Hobbit movie.

Really?  Now you want to argue height/weight?

Woodhead = 5'8" and 200 pounds.  Similar in build to Rice, Sproles, McCluster and only an inch shorter than guys like Gore, Martin, and Morris.

Not saying he's as good as the backs listed but he's as talented a play maker as Ivory and Powell and any other WR we have on the JETS roster.  Plus he brings the added dimension of elusiveness which somehow the Jets haven't had since Leon left.  So yeah, I think in hindsight we should have kept him but what do I know I'm just some guy with a keyboard and an internet connection.

Woodhead = 5'8" and 200 pounds.  Similar in build to Rice, Sproles, McCluster and only an inch shorter than guys like Gore, Martin, and Morris.

Not saying he's as good as the backs listed but he's as talented a play maker as Ivory and Powell and any other WR we have on the JETS roster.  Plus he brings the added dimension of elusiveness which somehow the Jets haven't had since Leon left.  So yeah, I think in hindsight we should have kept him but what do I know I'm just some guy with a keyboard and an internet connection.

Woodhead is 5-8 when standing on a couple copies of War and Peace, maybe.

Vaulting Woodhead up our "playmaker" chart via injury doesn't make him better than those guys.  The title of the thread was "Best playmaker we have".  I interpreted that to mean best on our roster. 

You can't really fault the injured guys unless there's a pattern of injuries (I.E. fragility) that meant we should have known better before bringing them in.  As far as I know, only Ivory had any sort of injury history like that.

You can't blame me for your own misinterpretation of context. I've explain both patiently and impatiently the logic behind my statement, all you've managed to do is insist it is wrong... under the premise of, well I don't know maybe magic, that Holmes is better than Woodhead... when at the time I started the thread Holmes had missed the better part of 2 seasons and Woodhead was consistently winning his matchups weak after week in the SD offense.

A player that hasn't done jack sh*t for this team in general, and literally hasn't even played as much as he's poisoned the locker room for the past 2 seasons doesn't deserve the energy you've put into defending him.

Woodhead is 5-8 when standing on a couple copies of War and Peace, maybe.

Nice.  Let me know when we get a play maker cause he's still better than anyone on our current roster.  

With all your commentary on height/weight combo...can't wait to get your views on the NFL Draft.  In your eyes Johnny Football is too small for the NFL...

80's being dense, as usual.

Long story short, Woodhead (despite his size and/or whiteness) wins his matchups and has consistently been an important part of both NE and SD's offense the past few years. Holmes gave us one average season, and literally nothing but headaches since. He is hurt more than he isn't. He is a toxic personality.

But yeah, I'm dead wrong on this one. LOOK AT ALL THESE WEAPONZZZ WE HAVE!!! 

Nice.  Let me know when we get a play maker cause he's still better than anyone on our current roster.  

With all your commentary on height/weight combo...can't wait to get your views on the NFL Draft.  In your eyes Johnny Football is too small for the NFL...

LOL

Seriously, we've endured 2 years of "NO WEAPONZ" and it's evident in how bad our offense is, how poorly we develop QBs and how infrequently we win football games... but this dope is going all out to defend HOLMES.

Santonion ******* Holmes.

In your eyes Johnny Football is too small for the NFL...

Probably is.  And a lot of the plays he makes he would never get away with in the pro game.  On multiple occasions I've seen him scramble then throw a pop fly that is receiver came down with.  Give me a pocket passer.

LOL Geno led game-winning drives in those 4 games.  That's more times than Sanchez did in his career.  Your defense of him is disgusting.

No. It's not. And it's not defense of him it's defense of my opinion.  You know. What these message boards are for.

And Geno has been statistically a worse QB this year than Sanchez ever was.

We don't win four games because of Geno led drives? Fine.

We don't lose at NE, vs. Pittsburgh, @Baltimore, @Buffalo or Home against Miami.  We probably stay more competitive against Cinci and Tennesee too.

No. It's not. And it's not defense of him it's defense of my opinion.  You know. What these message boards are for.

We don't lose at NE, vs. Pittsburgh, @Baltimore, @Buffalo or Home against Miami.  We probably stay more competitive against Cinci and Tennesee too.

It's the dumbest stat there is.   Wow Geno got pushed out of bounds and it's considered his game winning drive because a kicker made a long FG. 

ANother game the Pats got called for a odd penalty,  and the Jets wind up winning.   And Geno did what? Hand the ball off 99 percent of the time.  

Sorry, but when a running back is the one taking you down the field and not the QB, it's not the qB who is winning that game.

It's the problem with the stupid game winning or comeback stats.   Most of the time people don't watch the game or just use it to support a point when a player really had little to do with half of it.  Hell Tom Brady, a HOF QB, gets credit for his MVP first super bowl, except it was what, 15 yards and a 48 yard FG by a kicker.  

I've brought this up before, but the reality is, sometimes QBs get way too much blame, but they also get way to much credit.   If Norwood makes a FG, i guess Jim Kelly should be considered one of the best QBs.  But Norwood missed and the rest is history.      If Adam misses against the Raiders,   I guess nobody ever hears of Brady.   That's the thing about game winning drives most of the time.  The QB usually didn't do much at all, especially when half these defenses aren't very good and play prevent and zone for some reason during these drives.     And it sure as hell don't mean much when the QB isn't even throwing the ball.  Yeah he was clutch in handing the ball off to a running back say 9 out of 10 plays.

With what evidence?  For all we've complained about weapons over the years, this season has been as bad or worse to our QB than it ever was for Sanchez.  Yet you think we'd be better than 6-7?  Not a chance in Hell.  Geno won several of those early games with no semblance of a running game; he was the LEADING rusher against the Bucs.

Archived