The Dread Tally

T0mShane

Honestly, Peyton Manning was hurt when the Jets beat the Colts in the 2010 post season. Manning missed the entire 2011 season including training camp.

Recall also Manning on the sideline practically in rebellion questioning Jim Caldwell about the strategy used that day.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shane you asked in another thread why does Rex deserve another chance with a young QB? the answer is that the two they picked for him were terrible. HE deserves a chance with a REAL QB whoever that is...

So you just keep throwing young QBs into this shredder and hope one magically develops?

When I hear "great defensive coach," I think about a guy who can take a defense with six first rounders on it and keep the game within two TDs, regardless of how the offense is playing. I think of a defense that keeps opposing passers from notching 90+ passer ratings week after week.

No defense for pic-6's.. and the secondary has sucked for years but they don't address it properly in the off season. That does fall partly on Rex, cause he just loves the D-Linemen but there is a guy called the GM who should maybe be a little more forceful.

Shane you asked in another thread why does Rex deserve another chance with a young QB? the answer is that the two they picked for him were terrible. HE deserves a chance with a REAL QB whoever that is... 

What is the difference between your opinion an anointing Rex HC of NYJ for LIFE?

I'm serious.  Because, with any HC, there will ALWAYS be something to look at as the reason for the failures on the field.  So essentially, following your logic, coaching is kind of irrelevant and Rex will shine when he has everything going his way.

the shredder is life as a QB in the NFL, not life under HC Rex Ryan. So yes. 

Isnt it part of the HC's job to develop the most important player on the team? Rex is too concerned with his defense, their ranking and making them better imo. He could get away with it with Tannenbaum...but I think Idzik(hopefully) will hold the HC to a higher standard. 

What is the difference between your opinion an anointing Rex HC of NYJ for LIFE?

I'm serious.  Because, with any HC, there will ALWAYS be something to look at as the reason for the failures on the field.  So essentially, following your logic, coaching is kind of irrelevant and Rex will shine when he has everything going his way.

look at this team. Look real close. Look at the owner, look at the stadium, look at the history. Look at the talent level. Im not saying make Rex HC for life but he's one of the only above average parts of this team. The fact that Rex has a solid run defense that can make goal line stands is one of the only good things about this team.

the Jets are a hot mess and it's way bigger than Rex. And it's bigger than Darrell BEvel too. 

Isnt it part of the HC's job to develop the most important player on the team? Rex is too concerned with his defense, their ranking and making them better imo. He could get away with it with Tannenbaum...but I think Idzik(hopefully) will hold the HC to a higher standard. 

The way to properly develop Geno was to not play him. He's from an Air Raid gimmick offense and these guys never look good right away (if at all). The Sanchez injury took away that path forward and maybe that's on Rex. I think sometimes guys get injured and sometimes s--t happens.  I don't think that Bill Walsh could mold Geno Smith under these circumstances, there's only so much a coach can do. 

look at this team. Look real close. Look at the owner, look at the stadium, look at the history. Look at the talent level. Im not saying make Rex HC for life but he's one of the only above average parts of this team. The fact that Rex has a solid run defense that can make goal line stands is one of the only good things about this team.

the Jets are a hot mess and it's way bigger than Rex. And it's bigger than Darrell BEvel too. 

The Jets are a mess and all of what you say may be true, but that doesn't mean Rex deserves immunity until all the other pieces are in place.  He can coach a defensive line (which includes a lot of first round picks and a very reputible position coach), but he's also shown Herm Edwards-eske clock management skills, and other in game decision making that leaves a lot to be desired.  Not to mention that he's trying to build a team in the mold of the way the NFL used to be, not the way it is.

Rex is certainly not the reason we suck today.  That much we agree on.  But, I just don't see how you give a guy a new contract when, after 5 seasons, the team has one redeeming quality that really does little to translate into wins.

And half of those games were like that because the offense handed the other team numerous points.  lol

The team sucks.  There is zero talent and our new great GM made the team worse in the offseason.  Hopefully its because he's got a master plan for next season but having an offseason like the one the Jets just had, hurts teams in a bad way for a while.  The offense is the worst in the league but thats what you get when you literally dont address it all in the offseason.

Rex needs to be fired.  I personally believe in him and dont blame him for the current state of the roster but this team needs someone 100% focused on offense to turn this around.  Someone who can buy the groceries because I have zero confidence in this Idzik moron.  We need a QB.  Cant win without one.

You cant win Football games without scoring, shocking, I know.  And Rex's D can only do so much before they crack.

Its a shame.  We got the right guy with all the wrong ingredients.  Oh well, its only a matter of time and everyone will get their wish and we've got to just hope this Idzik dipsh*t can find a better replacement.

I just have this nagging feeling that if the Jets fire Rex there will come a point where we will look back and wonder what happened to the defense. Believe it or not you do need defense to win key games, especially in the playoffs and down the stretch.

I just have this nagging feeling that if the Jets fire Rex there will come a point where we will look back and wonder what happened to the defense. Believe it or not you do need defense to win key games, especially in the playoffs and down the stretch.

I just have this nagging feeling that if the Jets fire retain Rex there will come a point where we will look back and wonder what happened to the defense why we still have one of the leagues worst offenses. Believe it or not you do need defense offense to win key games, especially in to make the playoffs and down the stretch.

And half of those games were like that because the offense handed the other team numerous points.  lol

The team sucks.  There is zero talent and our new great GM made the team worse in the offseason.  Hopefully its because he's got a master plan for next season but having an offseason like the one the Jets just had, hurts teams in a bad way for a while.  The offense is the worst in the league but thats what you get when you literally dont address it all in the offseason.

Rex needs to be fired.  I personally believe in him and dont blame him for the current state of the roster but this team needs someone 100% focused on offense to turn this around.  Someone who can buy the groceries because I have zero confidence in this Idzik moron.  We need a QB.  Cant win without one.

You cant win Football games without scoring, shocking, I know.  And Rex's D can only do so much before they crack.

Its a shame.  We got the right guy with all the wrong ingredients.  Oh well, its only a matter of time and everyone will get their wish and we've got to just hope this Idzik dipsh*t can find a better replacement.

Saying they "literally didn't address the offense" is asinine.  They drafted 3 guys on the O line, a QB, and a FB.  5 out of 7 picks were on the offensive side of the ball. (6 of 8 if you include the 4th for Ivory).

They also signed 2 RB's, a couple veteran guards, and a TE.  Goodson could have been a really nice pickup if not for his idiotic mistake followed by the injury.  Winslow had early season success but has disappeared as of late.

The one area they didn't try and improve was WR but there wasn't exactly a surplus of them available via FA.  Did you really want to pay Mike Wallace 50 Million?  Would that have made this team that much better?

Idzik is following a plan designed to give us long term sustainability.  In order to achieve that you have to rid the team of bad contracts and  build through the draft -- which won't yield instantaneous results.

This was NEVER a year where we'd be contenders.  It was always about finding out about Geno and seeing if Rex was the long term answer.

I fully expect Idzik to go after impact offensive players this off season.  Holmes and his putrid contract will be gone so don't you think he knows we'll need a new #1 receiver?

You're an idiot but usually somewhat logical.  I suggest you're letting your emotions cloud your judgment.  Don't lower yourself to the TomShane, DButtman level. 

Think.

Saying they "literally didn't address the offense" is asinine.  They drafted 3 guys on the O line, a QB, and a FB.  5 out of 7 picks were on the offensive side of the ball. (6 of 8 if you include the 4th for Ivory).

They also signed 2 RB's, a couple veteran guards, and a TE.  Goodson could have been a really nice pickup if not for his idiotic mistake followed by the injury.  Winslow had early season success but has disappeared as of late.

The one area they didn't try and improve was WR but there wasn't exactly a surplus of them available via FA.  Did you really want to pay Mike Wallace 50 Million?  Would that have made this team that much better?

Idzik is following a plan designed to give us long term sustainability.  In order to achieve that you have to rid the team of bad contracts and  build through the draft -- which won't yield instantaneous results.

This was NEVER a year where we'd be contenders.  It was always about finding out about Geno and seeing if Rex was the long term answer.

I fully expect Idzik to go after impact offensive players this off season.  Holmes and his putrid contract will be gone so don't you think he knows we'll need a new #1 receiver?

You're an idiot but usually somewhat logical.  I suggest you're letting your emotions cloud your judgment.  Don't lower yourself to the TomShane, DButtman level. 

Think.

Thanks capt obvious.  

And I'm sorry, signing 2 guys who have been out of Football and Willie Colon is not helping the offense.  Then they drafted a horrible QB and took a bunch of roster fodder OL guys all of which I believe they were trying to convert.  And traded a pick for a jag RB.  

So yeah, you're right...they did address the offense.  They addressed it like they didnt give a ****.

Thanks capt obvious.  

And I'm sorry, signing 2 guys who have been out of Football and Willie Colon is not helping the offense.  Then they drafted a horrible QB and took a bunch of roster fodder OL guys all of which I believe they were trying to convert.  And traded a pick for a jag RB.  

So yeah, you're right...they did address the offense.  They addressed it like they didnt give a ****.

Oy vei.  The idiocy is strong in this one.

Never mind. 

Actually, do me a favor and gfy.

Interestingly enough, the talent level has been terrible to pathetic in that same time frame. Not saying Rex should be extended or not, but what do you really expect with the worst roster in the league and without question the worst QB's in the league?

Interestingly enough, the talent level has been terrible to pathetic in that same time frame. Not saying Rex should be extended or not, but what do you really expect with the worst roster in the league and without question the worst QB's in the league?

Rex has had more control of the roster than any head coach I've ever seen, Tanny always asked Rex about all

decisions, and Rex wanted Geno and Sanchez, he did a great job in 09 and 10, and a horrible job since,

he offensively challenged beyond the point of return, he's gone and had his shot here, at least he was successful

early, but it's torture watching this organization self destruct three years running. 

Rex has had more control of the roster than any head coach I've ever seen, Tanny always asked Rex about all

decisions, and Rex wanted Geno and Sanchez, he did a great job in 09 and 10, and a horrible job since,

he offensively challenged beyond the point of return, he's gone and had his shot here, at least he was successful

early, but it's torture watching this organization self destruct three years running. 

And you know all of this how? The only thing that is known for sure is that Rex got one pick in each draft, guys like Powell and the terminator. Iregardless, the GM makes the final decisions and the level of talent acquired falls directly on him. Does the HC report to the GM or the other way around? If the GM is weak and succumbs to the HC, that again falls on him for being an icompetent GM. HC's aren't supposed to acquire talent unless they are both the HC and GM.

And where did you come up with Rex wanted Geno?

we are talking about whether the coach did a good enough job to get them in.  He did not.  He needed divine assistance. Yes they play well when they got there.  But they did not earn the right to get there.  That is on the coach.

He did. He won enough games and had them in position to get a playoff spot, that is all that matters.

What's funny is that people with this opinion know for a fact that the Jets would have lost that game if Peyton would have stayed in the game. Anyone who follows the Jets know that the unexpected can easily happen with this team and win or lose when they shouldn't. For all we know PM could have been knocked out on his next play in that game.

Let me give you a scenario: Teams A & B are fighting for the last wild card spot on the last week of the season. Team A plays a team that needs to win to get home field advantage and team B plays a team that has secured the top pick in the draft. Team A barely loses and Team B barely wins. Did team B "earn" the wildcard spot or simply luck out to be playing the worst team in the league while team A played a team with a lot on the line? Was it divine intervention or just a fact of life in the NFL?

Well just because the Ravens didn't see fit to hire him as the HC doesn't mean he can't also be a great defensive mind.  The problem is that there have been many great coordinators who should never have been given a HC job, and some would argue Rex is one of those.  Being a HC requires far more attention to detail outside of your area of expertise, and the ability to handle a variety of personalities.

Dick LeBeau is a great DC but was a total failure as a HC.  Same for Wade Phillips.  And Norv Turner on offense.  It's the Peter Principle in action.

I think Rex can still be a good HC in this league, but he's definitely a FAR better DC.  And an even better DL coach, as that's the title he held when he earned his Super Bowl ring.

But Dunbar is the DL coach not Rex. Rex has had the luxury of coaching some incredible players in Balt and now here recently. Where was Rex when the Steelers ran the ball down our throats in the AFCCG in the first half ??

rex helped build this team. its his baby. he needs to go

rex helped build this team. its his baby. he needs to go

No it's not his baby, it is Tanny's and now Idzik's. Head coaches coach, not build rosters. I'm up the middle on if Rex should stay or go, but if you want to argue that Rex should go because he's not a good coach that is fine. But don't judge him based on acquiring players.

No it's not his baby, it is Tanny's and now Idzik's. Head coaches coach, not build rosters. I'm up the middle on if Rex should stay or go, but if you want to argue that Rex should go because he's not a good coach that is fine. But don't judge him based on acquiring players.

so you think its just a coincidence that ever since rex has been here we have went heavy defense and basically ignored offense?

neckdemon, on 02 Dec 2013 - 6:15 PM, said:

so you think its just a coincidence that ever since rex has been here we have went heavy defense and basically ignored offense?

I'm saying that the GM is the one that bears the responsibility for the talent that is acquired. In Idzik first draft he went all offense except for the 1st 2 picks. So how much influence did Rex have? There's really no way to tell. Idz may just have went with BPA and was not swayed by Rex one way or another. That is why I have said the GM owns the talent level that is brought in. You can't evaluate Rex the HC because you think he swayed Tanny or Idz on who was brought in. It's the job of the GM to determine who to bring in based on all factors like scouting, other assistant coaches opinions, and is own evaluations.

I'm saying that the GM is the one that bears the responsibility for the talent that is acquired. In Idzik first draft he went all offense except for the 1st 2 picks. So how much influence did Rex have? There's really no way to tell. Idz may just have went with BPA and was not swayed by Rex one way or another. That is why I have said the GM owns the talent level that is brought in. You can't evaluate Rex the HC because you think he swayed Tanny or Idz on who was brought in. It's the job of the GM to determine who to bring in based on all factors like scouting, other assistant coaches opinions, and is own evaluations.

I disagree......but either way rex needs to go

Your wrong, Rex had full control over the roster and personal decisions. Tanny was a deal guy and the do'er.

This is 100% Rex's team pre Idzik.

Archived