Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

I thought this was common knowledge, thus assumed slats was trolling - because he sounds ridiculous excusing Rex of having influence on the Sanchez pick.

Rex hand-picked quite a bit of the players while Tanny was here. Sanchez was just the first. If you don't want to Google old articles, then watch Hard Knocks... Rex spent plenty of time in front of the camera applauding himself for picking guys.

The story behind Rex making the Plaxico signing a mandate is probably the most revolting of all of them.

I understood sticking with Sanchez thru three years. They traded up for him, and they got to the AFC Championship in his first two seasons. Once it was obvious that he wasn't improving, though, they needed to do something else at the position. Mark Brunell wasn't an option.

They swung and missed on Peyton, and gave Sanchez an undeserved extension, and then brought in Tebow to back him up. None of that is on Rex, and all of it together is the main reason Tannenbaum is out of the league. Rex was looking for an option to bench Sanchez in his fourth year, and all he had was McElroy. Idzik didn't do him any favors in that regard this year.

Oh, so you are trolling. LOL

I understood sticking with Sanchez thru three years. They traded up for him, and they got to the AFC Championship in his first two seasons. Once it was obvious that he wasn't improving, though, they needed to do something else at the position. Mark Brunell wasn't an option.

They swung and missed on Peyton, and gave Sanchez an undeserved extension, and then brought in Tebow to back him up. None of that is on Rex, and all of it together is the main reason Tannenbaum is out of the league. Rex was looking for an option to bench Sanchez in his fourth year, and all he had was McElroy. Idzik didn't do him any favors in that regard this year.

Poor Rex. Has been trying so hard to build a powerhouse offense for years now and keeps getting turned down by GM's who prefer to go after CB's and DLmen.

I really feel for him, I know how bad he wants a real offense, and I heard that he never wanted Asomgua. I heard that he insisted on keeping Cotchery and Braylon, and said we have enough talent on D, plus I am a Defensive guy and can make it work, go get me some offense.

But Tannenbaum said hell no, and insisted on trying to build the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens to Rex's dismay.

Hopefully Idzik will be kinder to Rex than Tannebaum was.

This.

I thought this was common knowledge, thus assumed slats was trolling - because he sounds ridiculous excusing Rex of having influence on the Sanchez pick.

Rex hand-picked quite a bit of the players while Tanny was here. Sanchez was just the first. If you don't want to Google old articles, then watch Hard Knocks... Rex spent plenty of time in front of the camera applauding himself for picking guys.

The story behind Rex making the Plaxico signing a mandate is probably the most revolting of all of them.

shhh. Lets not let facts get in the way of the Rex Protection Program going on around here.

Poor Rex. Has been trying so hard to build a powerhouse offense for years now and keeps getting turned down by GM's who prefer to go after CB's and DLmen.

I really feel for him, I know how bad he wants a real offense, and I heard that he never wanted Asomgua. I heard that he insisted on keeping Cotchery and Braylon, and said we have enough talent on D, plus I am a Defensive guy and can make it work, go get me some offense.

But Tannenbaum said hell no, and insisted on trying to build the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens to Rex's dismay.

Hopefully Idzik will be kinder to Rex than Tannebaum was.

Tannenbaum was a tool.

I've said many times here that Rex needs to work for a competent executive, that he should not be the purchaser of groceries. Put him to work for a guy who knows how to put together talent, and he's a guy that I believe can coach it. If Idzik is that guy (this remains a huge "if"), then I think Rex can have success here. If they part ways, then I think Rex can have success elsewhere. You clearly don't agree, and that's really 100% fine with me.

The thing I said I'd never heard was that Rex wanted Sanchez, but the rest of the organization wanted Freeman. If you have that link, that would be great. I know Rex supported the Sanchez pick, but I never heard that there was any disagreement from anyone else about getting him.

some fans have to believe that firing the coach will magically make everything better. cause the alternative is way too depressing. I don't think Rex is perfect (wtf is ed reed doing out there for example) but the problems of this team run way deeper than the HC. in fact the HC and his defense is one of the only decent parts of the franchise. 

Tannenbaum was a tool.

I've said many times here that Rex needs to work for a competent executive, that he should not be the purchaser of groceries. Put him to work for a guy who knows how to put together talent, and he's a guy that I believe can coach it. If Idzik is that guy (this remains a huge "if"), then I think Rex can have success here. If they part ways, then I think Rex can have success elsewhere. You clearly don't agree, and that's really 100% fine with me.

Why would a GM give Rex another draft class?

The thing I said I'd never heard was that Rex wanted Sanchez, but the rest of the organization wanted Freeman. If you have that link, that would be great. I know Rex supported the Sanchez pick, but I never heard that there was any disagreement from anyone else about getting him.

Im breaking my promise. Here is one, I have more:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/jets-mark-sanchez-bucs-josh-freeman-linked-in-disappointment-1.6159217

Tannenbaum was a tool.

Tannenbaum was not traditional GM material. That does not change the fact that Rex is incompetent in many areas that are absolutely necessary to be a HC.

I think if given a great team, Rex could probably have success, I don't think he is a bad coach.

That said, I really believe you need more from your HC than Rex can offer. 

I am fine disagreeing.

some fans have to believe that firing the coach will magically make everything better. cause the alternative is way too depressing. I don't think Rex is perfect (wtf is ed reed doing out there for example) but the problems of this team run way deeper than the HC. in fact the HC and his defense is one of the only decent parts of the franchise. 

I don't think firing Rex makes anything better at all.

I think finding a competent HC will make things better.

Firing Rex does not equal getting a competent HC.

That said, keeping a proven incompetent HC and somehow expecting competency is insane IMO.

I'm not trying to defend Rex here as he has plenty of faults.   The Jets were expected (and are) to be a disaster this year.  The consensus on this board wanted the Jets to start Geno to see what they have in him.  The Jets were not going anywhere with Geno anyway.  They did start him and he sucks.   So why is everyone going apesh*t at the results?

That said, keeping a proven incompetent HC and somehow expecting competency is insane IMO.

Yeah, at this point we'll have to trust that "Idzik's guy" will be better.  What choice do we have? 

If, on the other hand, he doesn't like any of the coaches on the marketplace and tacks a year or 2 onto Rex's deal, could anyone really complain about that either?  Or would most around here be saying that Woody made that decision?

I'm not trying to defend Rex here as he has plenty of faults.   The Jets were expected (and are) to be a disaster this year.  The consensus on this board wanted the Jets to start Geno to see what they have in him.  The Jets were not going anywhere with Geno anyway.  They did start him and he sucks.   So why is everyone going apesh*t at the results?

Because there were multiple times this season where Geno did NOT look like hot garbage, and we got our hopes up?

"In the other camp, which included general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan, the preference was for Sanchez despite his limited body of work as the USC starter."

Doesn't seem to read as Rex Ryan vs. the organization here.

"In the other camp, which included general manager Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan, the preference was for Sanchez despite his limited body of work as the USC starter."

Of course not but if Rex supported Tannenbaum in picking Sanchez, it stands to reason he also supported the contract extension too.  Those two decisions have gotten a lot of people fired already, and are the 2 biggest reasons you could argue Rex should get fired too. 

He could have easily told Tannenbaum after 2011 "I'm done with this guy, get someone else" and maybe we draft Russell Wilson in the 2nd like Bradway was screaming for us to do.  Or at the very least, let Sanchez's rookie contract remain intact and don't double down on the guy.

Maybe this is a "Hindsight is 20/20 situation" but that's the job of a front office/HC combo:  To have some foresight and make the best decision.  Tannenbaum didn't and he got fired.  Rex may not be far behind.

just curious... Why is Rex incompetent? because they lose games? Was he competant when they were winning and lost his form? What exactly about Rex Ryan is incompetent? the ability to turn Geno Smith into a good QB? What exactly are we mad at Rex about...  when people said Herm was incompetent there were real life time management examples that we could point at... what is there to point at with Rex? the penalties? BL Rex Ryan is coaching a roster that has very little talent, i don't think it's the competency of the coaches that are holding this team back. 

ps John Idzik selected Sheldon Richardson and 8 goatherders in the draft. He signed David Garrard, Stephen Peterman, Mike Goodson etc. is HE competent?

pps - Is woody competent as an owner? 

that's Bevell. you are talking about Darrell bevell. a guy that's no Jets fan can pick out of a lineup (yet we are all sure he's an upgrade over Rex) 

This is irrelevant.  Would you have recognized Bruce Arians, Marc Trestman or Chuck Pagano before THEY were hired?

The one I want to know about is Stanton. Stanton may not be a legit starting QB, but when he was signed we were all hopeful because it indicated the end of backups that could not step on the field (Mark Brunell).  That and the run at Peyton Manning indicated they were ready to move on from Sanchez.  Then they inexplicably traded for Tebow, dealt Stanton and extended Sanchez.  A pretty hideous run from where they were sitting at that point in the offseason.

Of course not but if Rex supported Tannenbaum in picking Sanchez, it stands to reason he also supported the contract extension too.  Those two decisions have gotten a lot of people fired already, and are the 2 biggest reasons you could argue Rex should get fired too. 

The contract extension was devised largely to clear cap space that the guru had used up. I doubt Rex was consulted much on how much guaranteed money to hand anyone.

just curious... Why is Rex incompetent? because they lose games? Was he competant when they were winning and lost his form? What exactly about Rex Ryan is incompetent? the ability to turn Geno Smith into a good QB? What exactly are we mad at Rex about...  when people said Herm was incompetent there were real life time management examples that we could point at... what is there to point at with Rex? the penalties? BL Rex Ryan is coaching a roster that has very little talent, i don't think it's the competency of the coaches that are holding this team back. 

ps John Idzik selected Sheldon Richardson and 8 goatherders in the draft. He signed David Garrard, Stephen Peterman, Mike Goodson etc. is HE competent?

pps - Is woody competent as an owner? 

It has nothing to do with losing games.

Here is my list:

Only understands Defense

Terrible leadership problems: see Holmes, Burress, all of the media leaks last season

Tony Sporano, and I don't want to hear about Rex getting credit for recognizing his mistake and moving on quickly. The entire world knew how bad Sporano was and there was nothing else to do but fire him immediately

His clock management is often embarrassing

His player development is horrible outside of Dline

His ability to adapt is horrible

I am not, and never was really high on Idzik, but mostely because I question anyone willing to take the job with Rex being a condition.

I hated the draft on the day of, mostly because I felt the offense needed to be addressed way more than the defense. I hate the fact that he is insisting Geno play when he was not ready, and is clearly not ready and regressing. It is still early and Idzik can certainly turn out to be good, but as of now I am not high on him.

Re Woody, I think Woody is a horrible, horrible owner. I think his motives for owning a football team are all wrong, and all decisions seem to stem from his motives. I despise Woody as an owner.

Pretty much the entire state of the Jets right now is an absolute mess.

The one I want to know about is Stanton. Stanton may not be a legit starting QB, but when he was signed we were all hopeful because it indicated the end of backups that could not step on the field (Mark Brunell).  That and the run at Peyton Manning indicated they were ready to move on from Sanchez.  Then they inexplicably traded for Tebow, dealt Stanton and extended Sanchez.  A pretty hideous run from where they were sitting at that point in the offseason.

This was 100% Woody, and anyone who claims anything other than that is blind.

It has nothing to do with losing games.

Here is my list:

Only understands Defense

Terrible leadership problems: see Holmes, Burress, all of the media leaks last season

Tony Sporano, and I don't want to hear about Rex getting credit for recognizing his mistake and moving on quickly. The entire world knew how bad Sporano was and there was nothing else to do but fire him immediately

His clock management is often embarrassing

His player development is horrible outside of Dline

His ability to adapt is horrible

I am not, and never was really high on Idzik, but mostely because I question anyone willing to take the job with Rex being a condition.

I hated the draft on the day of, mostly because I felt the offense needed to be addressed way more than the defense. I hate the fact that he is insisting Geno play when he was not ready, and is clearly not ready and regressing. It is still early and Idzik can certainly turn out to be good, but as of now I am not high on him.

Re Woody, I think Woody is a horrible, horrible owner. I think his motives for owning a football team are all wrong, and all decisions seem to stem from his motives. I despise Woody as an owner.

Pretty much the entire state of the Jets right now is an absolute mess.

ok so to cherry pick, Rex understands defense. That's at least something. the Gm doesn't understand how to draft players and the owner doesn't understand how to be a good owner. Firing Rex is getting rid of the only above average part of this team. Yes they could do better than above average (in theory) but in practice who would want Idzik deciding starting lineups and Woody deciding tebow is a great signing etc. A really good head coach doesn't want this job. 

ok so to cherry pick, Rex understands defense. That's at least something. the Gm doesn't understand how to draft players and the owner doesn't understand how to be a good owner. Firing Rex is getting rid of the only above average part of this team. Yes they could do better than above average (in theory) but in practice who would want Idzik deciding starting lineups and Woody deciding tebow is a great signing etc. A really good head coach doesn't want this job. 

How does understanding defense translate to being above average as a HC? I just don't get that.

This one was merely to point out that the organization was split, and Rex was on Sanchez side. The other article is pretty clear that Rex wanted Sanchez and told Tannenbaum to go get him.

Please enumerate all the things that Rex does well.

Archived