Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

I understand how difficult it is to lose 2 AFCC games.

It's also something I appreciate.

You aren't filling me in on anything, and you sound like a grandmother using phrases like that.

I've not side-stepped anything - don't talk to me about reality and then position yourself firmly behind a hypothetical. The reality IS that you can't get to a scenario where Rex has an improved roster IF Rex continues to have influence on the roster. That is the reality I have been discussing. I'm not talking about firing Rex, I'm talking about how we got to the point and saying Rex is hugely responsible, though not solely.

Nifty.  You accuse someone of arguing in hypotheticals then use those very same hypotheticals to prove your point.  Rex doesn't have final say over personnel decisions.  Idzik does.  He's made that perfectly clear since he got here and I believe him.

Save your amateur Jedi Mind tricks for someone like 80.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Idzik "doesn't understand how to draft players" despite having the potential defensive rookie of the year on the team.

Lol, he'd still be Rex's pick if he sucked. I guess all the other picks are Rex's picks now.

I believe I should be praised for being open-minded.  Thanks in advance.

You're a homer's homer, I'll give you that.

Nifty.  You accuse someone of arguing in hypotheticals then use those very same hypotheticals to prove your point.  Rex doesn't have final say over personnel decisions.  Idzik does.  He's made that perfectly clear since he got here and I believe him.

Save your amateur Jedi Mind tricks for someone like 80.

Again, I was talking about how we got to this point - Tannenbaum and Rex, with Rex influencing PLENTY of the roster. 

Your sh*t is weak.

Lol, he'd still be Rex's pick if he sucked. I guess all the other picks are Rex's picks now.

You're a homer's homer, I'll give you that.

Add what you must to the mix, however, in this case, the reality is that he drafted the potential rookie of the year and is being called someone who "has no idea how to draft".

They did beat Seattle as 10 point dogs. Wilson is awesome, but the Seattle program is what's really awesome. That team could have ran the ball every down last night and still would have won by multiple scores- against arguably the best offense in football.

Wow sounds a lot like what the Jets did to the same exact team, no sorry IT'S ACTUALLY WHAT THEY DID TO THAT TEAM!

Darrell Bevell's beer-swilling brother who manages a Winn-Dixie

This was the only one that was funny.  I legitimately thought it was Darren. 

Darren..  Darrell..  same sh-t.

and I'm back on a desktop..  hopefully I can eliminate the typs and get back to the type of grammar this site holds dear.  or is it deer?

Again, I was talking about how we got to this point - Tannenbaum and Rex, with Rex influencing PLENTY of the roster. 

Your sh*t is weak.

Again, I'm trying to tell you that the "this point" we've gotten to is 2 years removed from the greatest run of Jet football you've ever seen in your life.  Fatso.

marty mornhinweg 

1995 and 1996  was the QB coach in GB, Brett Farve was entering his 5th year 

1997 - 2000 marty was the OC for SF, Steve Young was in his swan song. in 2000 they switched to Jeff Garcia, who while 30 years old was only in his 2nd year in the NFL. 

2003-2012 marty was OC for PHI, Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia (again), Mike Vick and Nick Foles 

besides his 2 years as HC in DET, (the Charlie Batch and Joey Harrington era) and his 1 year coaching Geno SMith here, it's safe to say you won't find a coach who has more success coaching QBs than Marty. 

the reason i bring this up is not just to make a point.

All you guys rooting for Rex to be fired, be prepared for Marty to replace him. He's got the resume, he's got HC experience and he's probably the most famous person who actually wants this job. 

be careful what you wish for Jets fans you just might get it 

There is almost zero chance this happens.

If Rex gets fired, its because Woody is convinced that Rex is no longer good for ticket sales.

There is no way you can sell Marty to this fanbase, none.

The only reason it is not completely zero, we are still the Jets and do lots and lots of really, really dumb sh*t.

I disagree. He has worked with a lot of good/great QB's, but none of those was he primarily responsible for developing them, and more importantly, identifying them.

he was in the room when they picked Nick Foles

i'd rather have Foles than Wilson, wouldn't you

everyone wanted Geno except Idzik. true story it was Rex and Marty pounding the table for Geno. Idzik was like ok bro it's your funeral.

?? I think it's pretty clear that Idzik wanted Geno and even thought of taking him earlier than he did.

But I'm pretty sure I read Marty was very high on Geno.

When a team drafts a QB in the first 3 rounds, if you can't find a quote that the OC was very high on him I would be concerned.

Coaches coach, Dom. GMs operate in an entirely different facility with no windows or means of communication with the rest of the franchise.

If the bold is true, then the red cannot be. You can't be sick of football and not participating for 2 years, and be considered a viable, contributing, relevant NFL receiver. 

Holmes is a roster spot and a paycheck. He's nothing more. Like I said, I'm talking about the hear and now, and where things may trend going forward... all you are doing is talking about his past experience.

Stop calling me names, you fat twat.

Randy Moss disagrees with you!

Of course not but if Rex supported Tannenbaum in picking Sanchez, it stands to reason he also supported the contract extension too.  Those two decisions have gotten a lot of people fired already, and are the 2 biggest reasons you could argue Rex should get fired too. 

He could have easily told Tannenbaum after 2011 "I'm done with this guy, get someone else" and maybe we draft Russell Wilson in the 2nd like Bradway was screaming for us to do.  Or at the very least, let Sanchez's rookie contract remain intact and don't double down on the guy.

Maybe this is a "Hindsight is 20/20 situation" but that's the job of a front office/HC combo:  To have some foresight and make the best decision.  Tannenbaum didn't and he got fired.  Rex may not be far behind.

You could be missing a big piece of the organization's (above Rex Ryan, IE Woody, and Tanny) possible decision to no matter what were taking a QB in the 1st this year, and Rex had no choice, but to get on board with one of the 2 QB's that would be available to draft where the Jets picked, or could trade up to pick, I'm pretty sure IF Rex could have hand picked a QB from the 2009 draft class it would have been unquestionably Matt Stafford, and if you still feel like looking up quotes from 2009, I'm pretty sure Rex had some crazy good quotes to say about him at his pro day when asked!

You could be missing a big piece of the organization's (above Rex Ryan, IE Woody, and Tanny) possible decision to no matter what were taking a QB in the 1st this year, and Rex had no choice, but to get on board with one of the 2 QB's that would be available to draft where the Jets picked, or could trade up to pick, I'm pretty sure IF Rex could have hand picked a QB from the 2009 draft class it would have been unquestionably Matt Stafford, and if you still feel like looking up quotes from 2009, I'm pretty sure Rex had some crazy good quotes to say about him at his pro day when asked!

I think if Rex had his druthers, he'd pick Peyton Manning.

True statement.  But that was 3 years ago.  No matter what perspective Idzik takes Rex looks bad here.  Either he takes into account the 4 years prior, in which the team regressed the second half of that term, OR he only takes into account this year, when the team started 5-4 then has gotten blown out 3 straight weeks.

I'd love to see what Rex can do with a real QB.  But it's very possible he's a big reason why we DON'T have a real QB.  We need a front office, scouting team, AND Head Coach who understands offense better.  Otherwise we'll be left behind in the NFL.  We had Terry Bradway screaming for Russell Wilson and yet he was apparently ignored by everyone, because we didn't take him.  That was a death knell for Tannenbaum, and Rex's hands aren't entirely clean.

I think our defense will be still be good with our revamped D-Line.  But our offense stands to improve greatly with an offense-minded HC and a complete change in personnel.

Here is how I understand it, Bradway was screaming for us to take R Wilson, but not in round 2, in round 3, and I've also heard the organization was listening, BUT the Seahawks drafted him 2 picks before the Jets selected D. Davis!

We can play hindsight all you want, instead of trading (with Seattle in the 2nd round) up for Hill, we could have stayed put, drafted Bobby Wagner like Seattle did with our 2nd round pick, and traded up in the 3rd round into the 1st pick of that round to draft Wilson like we did for S Greene, and who knows maybe D Davis is still available in the 4th round, and we get him to (heard draft pundits claim the Jets reached a round, or 2 to early for him).

It don't work that way, NOBODY was screaming for R Wilson in the 2nd round not the Jets, and not any other team in the NFL, but the 3rd yes he was a hot name in that area, and the Jets NEVER got a shot, he was already gone when they picked! Just like Rex was screaming for Kaepernick (supposedly, like Bradway supposedly was for Wilson), but he was off the board before the Jets had a chance to draft him.

Who were these candidates again?

It wasn't ideal, but honestly, having to keep a coach in a year in which you (if you understand football as well as you should being a GM candidate) knew this team was going to be a loser, is not that big of a deal.  The truth is, you may want to put your systems and guys in place, but most of the team will be new next year anyway.  There's a half a dozen guys worth keeping around on this team, and beyond that, there's 50M to get some other guys who might matter, who the new coach and the GM can collaborate on.

Also Woody hired a firm to help him gather guys he should consider for his GM job because he knows dick about football, and it's widely believed by some that Rex Ryan would have a HC job if fired before he hung up the phone telling his agent he officially has been fired, so I would assume this firm probably told Woody that his HC is someone others would hire over what is available, so why wouldn't Woody make keeping Rex a mandatory, and not to mention the 12 million he is going to fork over to Rex here, or not if he doesn't take another job the next 2 seasons?

IF my opinion above is true then you can't blame Woody for not wanting a GM who would want to fire Rex LAST year, now if a better option becomes available down the road, then yes I'm sure Woody would be ok exploring such a thing IF it is truly a better option, and as of now I don't know one who is available IMO.

To me a guy who is way above average takes mediocre players and schemes them to a top unit.

Terrible players this is impossible, but mediocre with a few good sprinkled in.

The past two years his defense has been slightly above average.

For all of Rex's time in Baltimore, he had elite talent that won before him and won after him.

He had excellent talent with the Jets prior to last year.

I have not seen him do anything special defensively this year or last year, and since he has been here his defenses ALWAYS seem to give up the big play at the end of the game.

Last year he had the #1 pass D, they took away his 2 starting Safties, and his best CB who was healthy (talking Cromartie, not Revis) went from elite to average overnight, and has a rookie CB starting on the other side. Last year the run D was bad, so in 1 year Rex went from bottom 5 in the league against the run to #1 once he got a nice influx of talented front 7 players, so if he gets a nice infusion of talented players in the secondary I have full confidence Rex can turn around the passing D in 1 year, he has proven it before multiple times with 2 different teams, and one year here without Revis!

Not in the draft, which is where any good team improves itself.

And they're about to fire the guy who blames his lack of super bowl wins on Santonio Holmes.

The biggest investment the Jets made PERIOD during the Rex Ryan era was a offensive investment via the draft, plain, and simple! It didn't work, and he still had 2 winning seasons, 1 8-8 season, 1 losing season, and has possibly the worst 53 man roster in the NFL this season at 5-7, with another sh*tty abomination rookie QB, that he is forced to play because like his former boss his current boss has given him no one else to replace him with! Remove 8-10 players from the current healthy Jets 53 man roster, you have a list of career backups, past, and future street FA's, and young undeveloped 1st, or 2nd year players (some will pan out, but they are not doing anything to help the team now).

Articles/interviews/Hard Knocks...

Rex flat out said he was asked by Tanny about Plax, put on tape of him from 2-3 years ago, watched one play and said "get this guy".

Rex flat out said he was the one that pushed for Holmes happening.

Rex flat out said he knew Sporano was the perfect pairing with him, and that Sporano was the OC version of himself.

So yeah.

I wish I was making it up, but I'm just going by what I've seen come out of his mouth or what he's been quoted as saying.

I'm pretty sure the 1 year we had Plaxico Burress the normally putrid, sorry worst offense before, and since in the redzone was ranked #1 most of the season, and finishing in the top 5 at the end of the season, now I can't say without a doubt Plax (or a Plax like player) was the reason (most give Moore as a consultant the credit), but I think I would be inclined to argue it was without being considered a complete moron to even think he was a big reason for that improvement that season.

So I say WTF was wrong with the Plaxico signing? And if it was so bad then why did a so called top well respected organization like the Steelers sign him after he left here?

If Rex made that call kudos!

Archived