Everything I am hearing is 2 Horse race: Whisenhunt or Bevel

SouthernJet

And you're a bigger jackass.  They dont want to let him down because they love playing for him.  Remember all the feel good stories just a couple of weeks ago?  That's all changed now because they lost some games and the true roster is being exposed with the worst QB in the league manning ship?  No.  They still love playing for him and dont want to let him down....they just suck.  

You have in no way proven me wrong. 

Part of Rex's job has been to build and develop this roster, we know this much to be truth, based on how he and Tanny worked together. You yourself are saying "they suck", well, this is the team Rex built. It has been for the better part of 3 years. 

By your infantile logic, this fluffy, feel-good, pansy ass sh*t about how "players love Rex" trumps the fact that Rex has only been good at ONE aspect of his job, which is cheerleading the scrubs he brings in here that take advantage of his loyalty to them. He has effectively failed at every other aspect of his job.

The team got worse with Rex. The offense progressively got worse with Rex. The defense progressively got worse with Rex. ****... even special teams has gotten worse, because we never have any guys on the roster who can play specials.

But yeah, keep him because he does great press conferences and has his players back. They love him. I'd love him too if I was a lazy, unaccountable POS that used my coach's loyalty as a built-in safety net for slacking or sucking all season long.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is pure horsesh*t.

Which part, the part where he was consistently called out for not being able to win the big game or Jets' fans and the media would have run him out of town after he had 3 subpar seasons after his successful first 6 seasons? People were already calling for Rex's head midway through the 2011 season. Unless we get a coach who wins a SB within his first 5 years, there will always be a fraction of fans unhappy and wanting him gone.

When was the last time Rex was a "defensive mastermind"? Or did that only apply when he had Revis?

right now the Jets are 12th in total defense and 1st against the run. 

btw Seattle right now is 22nd in total passing and 3rd in rushing. How is this drastically different philosophy? 

These buzzard threads get boring.

It's Idzik's prerogative to fire Rex if that's what he wants to do. His timer starts running as soon as he makes that move. Expectations will be much higher next year with a lot of new pieces in place on the field and a new coaching staff. I wouldn't expect much of a honeymoon period.

Meanwhile, I suspect Rex will land somewhere with a competent front office and succeed. If Idzik proves to be competent, I think Rex could succeed here. Of course, Idzik hasn't done anything to make me believe that he's the first competent GM in the Jets' history just yet, so who knows?

If Rex does get fired, I hope the replacement is a guy who's had significant success as a head coach at the pro or college level. Not excited at all about Bevel or Whisenhunt.

That wouldnt be the end of the world, I agree. Given that the roster is horrible and no coach could really make do with this...but that's also not a reason to not move on from Rex either. Sometimes it's just time for a change. 

Agreed.  It might just be time but I think everyone is fooling themselves if they think that just a change at Head Coach improves this team.  There's a lot more wrong with this team than HC....a lot more. 

This is overstated. SF and Seattle arent only good because of the QB. Both of those programs do it the right way and have been built from the ground up. A QB isnt a silver bullet. It's obviously the toughest piece- but Seattle didnt just get good because they drafted Wilson.

Seattle had back to back 7-9 seasons before Wilson.   I dont think Irvin or Wagner change that record considering they were a 7 win team because of their defense.  Wilson is what made that team elite.  

These buzzard threads get boring.

It's Idzik's prerogative to fire Rex if that's what he wants to do. His timer starts running as soon as he makes that move. Expectations will be much higher next year with a lot of new pieces in place on the field and a new coaching staff. I wouldn't expect much of a honeymoon period.

Meanwhile, I suspect Rex will land somewhere with a competent front office and succeed. If Idzik proves to be competent, I think Rex could succeed here. Of course, Idzik hasn't done anything to make me believe that he's the first competent GM in the Jets' history just yet, so who knows?

If Rex does get fired, I hope the replacement is a guy who's had significant success as a head coach at the pro or college level. Not excited at all about Bevel or Whisenhunt.

Nope. You will get a first time head coach. Nobody established wants to be here.  Fire Rex and things will get worse. 

Agreed.  It might just be time but I think everyone is fooling themselves if they think that just a change at Head Coach improves this team.  There's a lot more wrong with this team than HC....a lot more. 

Seattle had back to back 7-9 seasons before Wilson.   I dont think Irvin or Wagner change that record considering they were a 7 win team because of their defense.  Wilson is what made that team elite.  

They did beat Seattle as 10 point dogs. Wilson is awesome, but the Seattle program is what's really awesome. That team could have ran the ball every down last night and still would have won by multiple scores- against arguably the best offense in football.

Which part, the part where he was consistently called out for not being able to win the big game or Jets' fans and the media would have run him out of town after he had 3 subpar seasons after his successful first 6 seasons? People were already calling for Rex's head midway through the 2011 season. Unless we get a coach who wins a SB within his first 5 years, there will always be a fraction of fans unhappy and wanting him gone.

You're making up an argument, ascribing it to me and others, and then burning it down. I can assure you that if Rex were 22 games over .500, I absolutely would not be calling for his head, regardless of any playoff flameouts. You're better than this.

Part of Rex's job has been to build and develop this roster, we know this much to be truth, based on how he and Tanny worked together. You yourself are saying "they suck", well, this is the team Rex built. It has been for the better part of 3 years. 

By your infantile logic, this fluffy, feel-good, pansy ass sh*t about how "players love Rex" trumps the fact that Rex has only been good at ONE aspect of his job, which is cheerleading the scrubs he brings in here that take advantage of his loyalty to them. He has effectively failed at every other aspect of his job.

The team got worse with Rex. The offense progressively got worse with Rex. The defense progressively got worse with Rex. ****... even special teams has gotten worse, because we never have any guys on the roster who can play specials.

But yeah, keep him because he does great press conferences and has his players back. They love him. I'd love him too if I was a lazy, unaccountable POS that used my coach's loyalty as a built-in safety net for slacking or sucking all season long.

Players dont want to let Rex down.  You're wrong about that.  100%

The rest of this is just sh*t, like you.

You hysterical Rex fanboys should really go out with some dignity, for Christ's sake. These arguments are pathetic.

Legitimately the only people who are acting hysterical are yourself and others calling for a coach you only having cursory knowledge of. Bevell has done some good things in Seattle and the connection certainly makes sense, but personally I'm not seeing what he brings here to turn this franchise around, until we have a roster turnover.  Seemingly the thing he's most lauded for is his handling of Wilson and putting him in a position to succeed: having never seen him do more with a subpar QB, I'm not entirely sold.  And honestly, I don't see any Rex fanboys on here, other than some people suggesting that letting him play out the final year of a contract while the roster is infused with talent is not necessarily the end of the world.  He has certainly earned the distinction to be fired, but I think I'd be just as confident in him coaching this team to a winning record next year compared to a brand new HC doing so. Unless Idzik is able to completely retool this offense and find a QB, not sure what anyone can do with the slop we currently are stuck with.  If Rex goes, I'm fine with it, I just would like to see a hire that makes sense, rather than make one to make one.

They did beat Seattle as 10 point dogs. Wilson is awesome, but the Seattle program is what's really awesome. That team could have ran the ball every down last night and still would have won by multiple scores- against arguably the best offense in football.

The Jets beat the same team just running the ball, so I'm not overly impressed...but either way, I still maintain that Wilson makes that team.  

If they're rolling out Jackson or Whitehurst or Flynn or whoever else was there....they're not SB contenders.  They're probably around a .500 team...just like they were before Wilson.

Nope. You will get a first time head coach. Nobody established wants to be here.  Fire Rex and things will get worse.

That's my general feeling. The front office has been a nightmare for the Jets forever, and the Tannenbaum years were bad by comparison. The team getting worse under Rex has everything to do with Tannenbaum's stupid trades giving away draft picks, bloated contracts, and an inability to find a QB or even search for one properly. Idzik's Geno + Garrard method in his first season doesn't exactly warm my heart, either. The Jets roster is largely a dumpster, except at QB - where it's a sewer.

Legitimately the only people who are acting hysterical are yourself and others calling for a coach you only having cursory knowledge of. Bevell has done some good things in Seattle and the connection certainly makes sense, but personally I'm not seeing what he brings here to turn this franchise around, until we have a roster turnover.  Seemingly the thing he's most lauded for is his handling of Wilson and putting him in a position to succeed: having never seen him do more with a subpar QB, I'm not entirely sold.  And honestly, I don't see any Rex fanboys on here, other than some people suggesting that letting him play out the final year of a contract while the roster is infused with talent is not necessarily the end of the world.  He has certainly earned the distinction to be fired, but I think I'd be just as confident in him coaching this team to a winning record next year compared to a brand new HC doing so. Unless Idzik is able to completely retool this offense and find a QB, not sure what anyone can do with the slop we currently are stuck with.  If Rex goes, I'm fine with it, I just would like to see a hire that makes sense, rather than make one to make one.

Great post.  Agreed 100%.  

I think even the biggest Rex supporters, like myself, are completely fine with Idzik moving in another direction.  Doesnt mean I think it will work but I can totally understand the justification even though he handed Rex a piece of turd this season to coach.  My hope is that a QB comes from the move because otherwise, its all for nothing. 

You're making up an argument, ascribing it to me and others, and then burning it down. I can assure you that if Rex were 22 games over .500, I absolutely would not be calling for his head, regardless of any playoff flameouts. You're better than this.

It was more that your name was the first I clicked on and one that I associate with the "participation trophy remark," but that was a legitimate argument we were hearing after the 2011 season when Rex was 28-20 as a head coach with a 4-2 record in the playoffs. Now maybe you'd be saying it in jest and not actually calling for his dismissal, but there was a significant group of people who indeed wanted him gone then. Now I don't think it's a stretch to think those same people would be calling for his head in that scenario, when they were doing it while he was 8 games above .500 in his first 3 seasons. 

Personally, I can take or leave Rex as I am okay with a change, assuming of course that it's a proposed upgrade and not just a change in order to change. I detest the idea of Whisenhunt or any of the other retreads coming here, just so we can sell to the fanbase that we're going for an offensive guy with experience. I'm also okay with letting Rex play out his contract with an infusion of talent as I'm not sure what Bevell can do differently that MM cannot currently do. Our roster is almost too sh*tty to evaluate at the moment. 

<3 you.

FWIW - I was out yesterday sick, got to watch some shows I never get to see like NFL AM and some other ESPN sh*t...now granted, I dont put a ton of stock into what those mouth eaters say...but a reoccurring theme seems to be happening.  Rex is the strength of the team and nobody could win with this team.  Everyone expected top 3 pick and he's "technically" got them in the conversation.  Now, we all know that aint happening but its an overwhelming agreement that this isnt on Rex.  He's just going to be the victim.  

That's my general feeling. The front office has been a nightmare for the Jets forever, and the Tannenbaum years were bad by comparison. The team getting worse under Rex has everything to do with Tannenbaum's stupid trades giving away draft picks, bloated contracts, and an inability to find a QB or even search for one properly. Idzik's Geno + Garrard method in his first season doesn't exactly warm my heart, either. The Jets roster is largely a dumpster, except at QB - where it's a sewer.

This assumes that literally every player other than Richardson and Wilkerson who has been brought here for five seasons has been both untalented and uncoachable and, as such, Rex has been victimized by this constant stream of detritus that gets parachuted onto his practice field every summer.

It was more that your name was the first I clicked on and one that I associate with the "participation trophy remark," but that was a legitimate argument we were hearing after the 2011 season when Rex was 28-20 as a head coach with a 4-2 record in the playoffs. Now maybe you'd be saying it in jest and not actually calling for his dismissal, but there was a significant group of people who indeed wanted him gone then. Now I don't think it's a stretch to think those same people would be calling for his head in that scenario, when they were doing it while he was 8 games above .500 in his first 3 seasons. 

Personally, I can take or leave Rex as I am okay with a change, assuming of course that it's a proposed upgrade and not just a change in order to change. I detest the idea of Whisenhunt or any of the other retreads coming here, just so we can sell to the fanbase that we're going for an offensive guy with experience. I'm also okay with letting Rex play out his contract with an infusion of talent as I'm not sure what Bevell can do differently that MM cannot currently do. Our roster is almost too sh*tty to evaluate at the moment.

The sh*tty part is, this is spot on.  When you have a QB situation like the NY Jets do...its damn near impossible to evaluate everything accurately. Really, all you can look for is who is giving it there all each and every play.  But an anemic offense brings down everything.  It's infectious. 

Legitimately the only people who are acting hysterical are yourself and others calling for a coach you only having cursory knowledge of.

I'm calling for Rex to be fired because he's a disaster who does one thing well, and even that one thing has yielded diminishing returns. I laud Bevell not because I think he's a can't-miss coach, but because I think that's the guy they'll hire. In reality, I don't care if they hire Bevell or Gruden or Whisenhunt or Mike Nolan. All I care about is that they finally get rid of the fraud that helped drive this franchise into the dirt yet again.

Bevell has done some good things in Seattle and the connection certainly makes sense, but personally I'm not seeing what he brings here to turn this franchise around, until we have a roster turnover.

This fairy tale that roster building takes place independent of the head coach is hysterical. Even if the coach isn't picking the players, it's on him to develop the players. Rex's record as it relates to this is putrid. No GM would agree to give this buffoon another draft class.

Seemingly the thing he's most lauded for is his handling of Wilson and putting him in a position to succeed: having never seen him do more with a subpar QB, I'm not entirely sold. And honestly, I don't see any Rex fanboys on here, other than some people suggesting that letting him play out the final year of a contract while the roster is infused with talent is not necessarily the end of the world. He has certainly earned the distinction to be fired, but I think I'd be just as confident in him coaching this team to a winning record next year compared to a brand new HC doing so. Unless Idzik is able to completely retool this offense and find a QB, not sure what anyone can do with the slop we currently are stuck with. If Rex goes, I'm fine with it, I just would like to see a hire that makes sense, rather than make one to make one.

People who want Rex fired simply present the record, the stats, and the scores. Those that want Rex retained are pointing to invisible things that Rex does that apparently have no tangible impact on the team performance, and that players like him, and that every other available coach probably sucks.

<3 you.

FWIW - I was out yesterday sick, got to watch some shows I never get to see like NFL AM and some other ESPN sh*t...now granted, I dont put a ton of stock into what those mouth eaters say...but a reoccurring theme seems to be happening. Rex is the strength of the team and nobody could win with this team. Everyone expected top 3 pick and he's "technically" got them in the conversation. Now, we all know that aint happening but its an overwhelming agreement that this isnt on Rex. He's just going to be the victim.

Mouth eaters. Jesus Christ.

LOL..  and some say the Rex supporters sound stupid.  I'm contemplating printing out your post and using it to wipe my ass.

Rex didn't pick Hill..  Tanny did. 

Rex didn't give Sanchez that extension or sign Brunell and Tebow.  Tanny did.

In fact I doubt Rex had much input at all in choosing which offensive players would be joining the team.  He's admitted it's not a strength of his so what makes you think he was in the war room dissecting late round WR's from D2 schools?

The team got worse because they started off remarkably well and Tanny decided to mortgage the future for what he perceived to be the missing pieces to a championship. 

The players do love Rex and don't want to let him down.  I've heard at least a dozen players say as much.  The fact they beat NE and NO is a testament to that.

I guess we'll find out over the next month.  The writing is on the wall so if they don't want to see him go I'm sure the players will try as hard as they can.  Doesn't mean they'll win as the offense sucks, but we should see the effort.

This assumes that literally every player other than Richardson and Wilkerson who has been brought here for five seasons has been both untalented and uncoachable and, as such, Rex has been victimized by this constant stream of detritus that gets parachuted onto his practice field every summer.

Honestly, anything I say rarely falls under your hyperbolic black & white view of all things Jets.

The crux of the problem during the Rex era is the Sanchez error. Tannenbaum traded up for him, gave him a big contract, and followed that up with an expensive extension. He compounded the problem by never supplying the head coach with anything remotely close to a viable alternative. The new GM, so far, has done absolutely nothing to fix that issue. He's been more of the same.

I have zero desire to go over every move, but Tannenbaum -in a nutshell- went all in trading for talent to bolster the starters at the expense of any depth or developmental players. There was temporary success largely because the Jets had very few injuries. But that style caught up to them hard when Sanchez regressed, and Mangold, Brick, and Cro all became simultaneously old.

The sh*tty part is, this is spot on.  When you have a QB situation like the NY Jets do...its damn near impossible to evaluate everything accurately. Really, all you can look for is who is giving it there all each and every play.  But an anemic offense brings down everything.  It's infectious. 

as horrific as Geno has played I don't think he can be properly evaluated until the team signs a few legitimate NFL WR's.  Keep Kerley and give Hill one more year.  Every other WR is expendable. 

this mystery man Bevell, he has a run first offense in Seattle. It's basically G&P without Rex.

i understand it might be time for REx to go but maybe the next guy could have some HC experience? for a change...

Second in the league in scoring. Sixth in offensive efficiency. Doing it with the uber talented Doug Baldwin starting at WR.

as horrific as Geno has played I don't think he can be properly evaluated until the team signs a few legitimate NFL WR's.  Keep Kerley and give Hill one more year.  Every other WR is expendable. 

He's pretty terrible.

However, I'd be totally fine with building around him and seeing how he responds with an NFL caliber offense next season.  My assumption is, he'll fail miserably and the Jets will have a top 3 pick but thats cool...Jameis Winston will look great in Green and White.

Archived