Walt Michaels > Rex Ryan

Scott Dierking

I like how, despite the first line of the post, we've seen this thread "draw fire" from nobody.

Michaels was an imperfect coach. Not the best we've ever had and not the worst we've ever had. The highest his team reached was the AFCCG with a crappy QB.

Ryan was and is an imperfect coach. Not the best we've ever had and not the worst we've ever had. The highest his team reached was the AFCCG with a crappy QB.

This is a controversial thread to no one. Particularly since Walt wasn't passed over for the job by Ryan.

I think it never reached the point of "controversial" because there's no way to argue that Rex is anything better than an average coach without resorting to abstraction.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if message boards existed in 1980, Walt Michaels would have been toast

A good chunk of 1980 NFL HCs and pro sports people generally  would be toast. It's a very different world. LT could show up to Jints' practice handcuffed in a police car and nobody would know. And Ray Handley, a story that was widely whispered and probably still cannot be discussed. Nobody knew much about those things back then. Michaels' misfortune was he got very drunk on a plane in the presence of sportwriters. And even then they didn't spill the beans immediately.

Recall hanging out in a bar at rush hour before a concert in Midtown at roughly the same era(a very different time) across from MSG. Fred Shero , who was GM and coach of the Rangers, was basically stooled up drinking a lot by himself. By most accounts when it was the offseason and sometimes in season this was not an unusual sight in and around MSG. And I've heard any number of other stories about NFL, MLB, NHL  and NBA people misbehaving. What has changed is the velvet ropes went up and the back rooms have been walled off from the public and press because these teams are now marketing machines. In the mid-1980s nobody really cared.

I've got an idea to fix this: make it so QB salaries don't count against the cap. It's stupid to have a $20 million dollar quarterback but, as a result, have him protected by bargain basement OLmen.

I think this could be something. Or allow teams to designate one player that won't count against the cap. Similar to the amnesty in the NBA.

I think this could be something. Or allow teams to designate one player that won't count against the cap. Similar to the amnesty in the NBA.

I think you'd have to limit it to QBs, though. If it was any player, teams would just sign and cut players willy nilly and it'd get out of control.

I think you'd have to limit it to QBs, though. If it was any player, teams would just sign and cut players willy nilly and it'd get out of control.

Nothing like this would ever fly in the NFL. Rosters are too big, and 2/3's of the league (at least) has a "best player" that doesn't play QB. The closest you might get is having the franchise tag designation not count against the cap, and then if you sign that player to a long term deal that won't count against the cap, and then the team can't use the tag again until that player is either off the roster or his contract is designated to be back on the books.

But it won't happen because the owners don't want it. They like to cry about how they're limited by the cap in public, but they're very happy not to be able to spend over a hard cap.

Nothing like this would ever fly in the NFL. Rosters are too big, and 2/3's of the league (at least) has a "best player" that doesn't play QB. The closest you might get is having the franchise tag designation not count against the cap, and then if you sign that player to a long term deal that won't count against the cap, and then the team can't use the tag again until that player is either off the roster or his contract is designated to be back on the books.

But it won't happen because the owners don't want it. They like to cry about how they're limited by the cap in public, but they're very happy not to be able to spend over a hard cap.

I agree the owners are cheap, but they have to find a way to field a top QB without hamstringing the rest of the roster. The Giants, Ravens, Pats, and Packers all took major steps backwards after paying their elite QBs, which is one way to preserve parity, but it's going to start costing them quarterbacks, too. It's getting to the point where you can either have a great team or you can have the great quarterback.

I agree the owners are cheap, but they have to find a way to field a top QB without hamstringing the rest of the roster. The Giants, Ravens, Pats, and Packers all took major steps backwards after paying their elite QBs, which is one way to preserve parity, but it's going to start costing them quarterbacks, too. It's getting to the point where you can either have a great team or you can have the great quarterback.

It's only fair.  

I am not. But when you counter dialogue with sill emoticons or 1 line punch lines, you come off as, let's say a little ill informed. 

I gave you the chance to make your case, and now you are saying you were too young to remember.

Step aside in that case. You are not well enough informed. It is ok. Jif handled it properly.

Klecko<>Jetgirl?

Neat.  Thanks for posting.

I wasnt around for Walt Michael's or Weeb.  So that said, Rex is the best Head Coach we've had in my lifetime.

I rate him over Parcells because while Parcells was a great Head Coach, he was never a long term solution for the Jets and he ultimately ****ed us over, like he does every team he coaches.

So while it might not be impressive considering the coaching history with the Jets, Rex is the best I've got to watch.

I just wanted to quote this post because of its idiocy.

So you're saying Rex Ryan could have taken over the 1996 Jets (The laughing stock of the league and butt of jokes every day on sportscenter) a 1-15 roster with Adrian Murrell and Neil O'donnell/Glenn Foley combo and a bunch of nobodies/scrubs on defense and he would have completely saved the franchise? :rl:

So you're saying Rex Ryan could have taken over the 1996 Jets (The laughing stock of the league and butt of jokes every day on sportscenter) a 1-15 roster with Adrian Murrell and Neil O'donnell/Glenn Foley combo and a bunch of nobodies/scrubs on defense and he would have completely saved the franchise? :rl:

Hey!!! Rex took over that bottom-dwelling 9-7 Mangini dumpster fire and made it 9-7! Recognize!

Hey!!! Rex took over that bottom-dwelling 9-7 Mangini dumpster fire and made it 9-7! Recognize!

The only difference between the 9-7 Mangini team and the 4-12 Mangini team the year before was Brett Favre. I know you're trying to joke, but Rex did take over Mangini's bottom-dwelling dumpster fire.

Yeah but that doesn't count. Rex would have taken the 2005 Jets to the superbowl<>Jif

Rex is about to have three bad years consecutively, but Rex supporters harp on one bad Mangini year, and they'll write volumes about specific bad quarters during the Parcells Era.

If you asked anyone in teh league at the time, Richard Todd did not belong in the league as he was being used.

Michaels picked up a shell of a qb who was abused by Holtz (literally)

Wasn't Walton the OC?  I think he had more of hand in it than Walt.

What is more amazing about that 1997 coaching job by Parcells, was that he absolutely hated O'donnell, and could not wait to find any competent QB to replace him. Amazingly, he took another cast-off that many said was a turnover machine and transformed Testaverde into a playoff caliber QB.  I'll never forget the first game of 1997 , Parcell's first game as Jet Coach, against Seattle, I believe in Seattle (I think), and I was figuring coming off a 1-15 season that they would probably get beat but with Parcells, at least be competitive, and they blow away Seatlle like 45-15. I said to myself, this guy is a freaking God, He did it with the GIANTS, He did it with NE, He did it with the JETS, he did it with DALLAS, then did it as head of operations for MIAMI, what a freakin coach.

What is more amazing about that 1997 coaching job by Parcells, was that he absolutely hated O'donnell, and could not wait to find any competent QB to replace him. Amazingly, he took another cast-off that many said was a turnover machine and transformed Testaverde into a playoff caliber QB.  I'll never forget the first game of 1997 , Parcell's first game as Jet Coach, against Seattle, I believe in Seattle (I think), and I was figuring coming off a 1-15 season that they would probably get beat but with Parcells, at least be competitive, and they blow away Seatlle like 45-15. I said to myself, this guy is a freaking God, He did it with the GIANTS, He did it with NE, He did it with the JETS, he did it with DALLAS, then did it as head of operations for MIAMI, what a freakin coach.

Let me refresh your memory about the seahawk game August 31st 1997 Princess Diana died right before the game.. the Jets had a 31-0 lead at half time or something like that. and Parcells came out of the tunnell after the half and said ''We will continue to attack, no lead is safe''. <---That was ******* awesome! no ''well'' no ''obviously'' no ''Play like a ******* Jet''

He also said when O'donnell only got 187 total yards against the Colts in one game ''Give me a break, this is the NFL'' :rl:

Rex is about to have three bad years consecutively, but Rex supporters harp on one bad Mangini year, and they'll write volumes about specific bad quarters during the Parcells Era.

Rex collapsed in 2011 just like Mangini did in 2008   Rex<>Mangini real talk

Let's face it guys, this is the New York Jets, the biggest joke of a franchise in almost ALL sports, they will never again even sniff a super bowl game because they are run by a rich boy idiot who gets no respect from anyone who is a serous football mind-except greedy on the way outers looking to make a last big score. Why is it that the only people who will agree to work for Woody Johnson are guys who are getting their 1st shot at BEING head coaches? I'm pretty sure that will change come next month sometime, it HAS to. I fully expect the guy who took the Cards to the SB to get the job next. 

Let me refresh your memory about the seahawk game August 31st 1997 Princess Diana died right before the game.. the Jets had a 31-0 lead at half time or something like that. and Parcells came out of the tunnell after the half and said ''We will continue to attack, no lead is safe''. <---That was ******* awesome! no ''well'' no ''obviously'' no ''Play like a ******* Jet''

He also said when O'donnell only got 187 total yards against the Colts in one game ''Give me a break, this is the NFL'' :rl:

His pressers were all-time classics. I used to love in Dallas (he hated OWENS), and in every presser referred to Owens as "the player", never ever mentioned TO's name. Classic.

His pressers were all-time classics. I used to love in Dallas (he hated OWENS), and in every presser referred to Owens as "the player", never ever mentioned TO's name. Classic.

When the Patriots were playing the Packers in the super bowl (leading up to it) a Boston reporter asked him ''You have to answer these questions and rumors about the Jets''. Parcells said ''No I dont''. the press said ""why not''? Parcells ''Because I said so'' :rl: He had the best press conferences no doubt. he wasnt a ******* goofball clown like the douche in my avatar

Archived