McShay mocks the Jets WR Sammy Watkins

SenorGato

Depending on which underclassmen declare this draft is shaping up like 2011.   There is a clear #1, a handful of 2nd tier QBs and 5-6 QB needy teams picking at the top of the draft.  

In 2011 you saw Newton go #1 and then you saw a run on QBs when Locker, Gabbert, Ponder went in 5 picks.      At the top of rd 2 you saw Dalton and Kaepernick drafted for a total of 6 QBs in the first 36 picks.  

This year you have a similar situation with many of the same teams needing QBs and right now the Jets are sitting last in line to pick one.   

3 of those QB's are solid to very good NFL QB's, so if this year is 50/50 I would say the Jets should roll the dice on the 50/50 scenario IMO.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both CBS guys have at least 4 in the top 10 and 5 or even 6 (depending on Hundley) in the top 15. This is a killer crop and the Jets I believe just cant look at this QB draft and let it slide by. Everytime they let a good QB draft go by, they miss, and everytime, they take a QB from an average to poor class, the strikeout big time. They took one from the Smith, Manuel, Glennon (really bad) class and he is abysmal, and then took one from the Sanchez, Freeman etc draft (which is turning out to be horrible), but skipped such years as Rivers Manning Roethlisberger, and Luck, RGIII Wilson.

This is a phenomenal class, one definitely even worth trading up in.

The CBS guys IMO just spew what they read elsewhere, not actual scouting work done.

4 QBs would be alot but on the edge of feasible. 5 is probably too many.  

So if it is on the edge of feasible, McShay does not include Hundley in the Mock Draft because he is not 100% to declare, but most think he will, how would not adding Hundley into the top 15 be feasible, essentially making 5 QB's taken in the top 15, something you say is unheard off, or not feasible.  If he declares do you not think Hundley is worthy of a top 15 pick (I don't see how he declares if he doesn't think he goes in the top half of the 1st round)? 

When we talk about this QB class in totality, we say it is an awesome QB class based on sheer numbers.  Take a closer look at the individuals coming out and your opinion may change.  Give me sure fire NFL starters out of this class and your job becomes a lot more difficult.  Many are projections and still others don't stack up height wise or arm strength wise with the traditional pro QB.  I am taking a wait and see approach on this QB class.  I am not in love with many of them.

Depending on which underclassmen declare this draft is shaping up like 2011.   There is a clear #1, a handful of 2nd tier QBs and 5-6 QB needy teams picking at the top of the draft.  

In 2011 you saw Newton go #1 and then you saw a run on QBs when Locker, Gabbert, Ponder went in 5 picks.      At the top of rd 2 you saw Dalton and Kaepernick drafted for a total of 6 QBs in the first 36 picks.  

This year you have a similar situation with many of the same teams needing QBs and right now the Jets are sitting last in line to pick one.   

I am also in the keep Rex Ryan corner, and I can't see a scenario where the Jets keep Ryan, and draft a QB in the 1st round UNLESS they fire MM, and Idzik hires the OC, and sees the OC as Rex's replacement if he then lets Rex walk when his contract is up, or keeps MM because he thinks MM will be his next HC.  If Rex stays I see the Jets using one of their two 3rd round picks on a Fales, Mettenbergh, McCarron, or another mid round prospect.

3 of those QB's are solid to very good NFL QB's, so if this year is 50/50 I would say the Jets should roll the dice on the 50/50 scenario IMO.

Three of those QBs are, which ones though? The first overall pick and then the two selected in the 2nd round: Dalton and Kaepernick. The teams who scurried to grab a QB in the first after Newton was off the board are all arguably looking for a replacement, even the Titans with Locker.  It's just not smart football to draft someone much higher than you think they deserve, just because you need that player. That's how you wind up with the Gabberts and Ponders setting your franchise back a couple years. Now, if the Jets' FO feels Carr, Fales, Hundley et al are worthy of their pick, then definitely, by all means take him. Just don't do it when he's the 48th overall player on your board.

When we talk about this QB class in totality, we say it is an awesome QB class based on sheer numbers.  Take a closer look at the individuals coming out and your opinion may change.  Give me sure fire NFL starters out of this class and your job becomes a lot more difficult.  Many are projections and still others don't stack up height wise or arm strength wise with the traditional pro QB.  I am taking a wait and see approach on this QB class.  I am not in love with many of them.

Based on your measurements listed for looking at individuals, as of now that is why I like Blake Bortles the best out of this class, he is by no means a sure fire can't miss prospect, but he has a good NFL QB body not great Height, but not 6 foot either, he is the only one with a possible 1st round grade who has a filled out frame already, doesn't have a Carr cannon, but his arm is strong enough to make all the needed throws, won't out run many people, but can move enough to extend a play outside the pocket, and run for the occasional 1st down when the defenders are in man coverage, and he has shown the cabability of taking what defenses are giving him, checking down when he should instead of forcing balls, throwing it over the top when defenses have taken away their screen game CFU likes to run with it's WR's, his last game he threw zero TD passes in a frigid 25 degree night in Texas, but ran for 2 scores in the 4th quarter because that is what the defense gave him by dropping max coverage, and rushing 3, and led his team to a nice 4th quarter comeback on the road in those tough conditions, all something you look for in an NFL QB IMO.

Everyone will get to see him on display in the BCS game against Baylor, and if CFU tries to keep up with Baylor on the scoreboard Bortles will have to throw it A LOT, and IF he has a good game win, or lose he could even jump Bridgewater as the top QB heading into the combine, I would predict thou after the combine, and leading up to the draft Bridgewater will be considered the top QB still.

With teams like the Falcons, Giants, Rams, Steelers, maybe even TB if they really like Glennon, and Bills all picking in the top of the draft not needing QB's this draft will probably have some serious trading going on with teams picking 10, or 11 trying to hop the teams picking 5, and 6 to get the QB they want.  And in the process of course teams like the Giants, Steelers, and Falcons are going to be the real winners of this draft trading back a few spots for a kings ransom, and still getting the player on the top of their draft board!

Three of those QBs are, which ones though? The first overall pick and then the two selected in the 2nd round: Dalton and Kaepernick. The teams who scurried to grab a QB in the first after Newton was off the board are all arguably looking for a replacement, even the Titans with Locker.  It's just not smart football to draft someone much higher than you think they deserve, just because you need that player. That's how you wind up with the Gabberts and Ponders setting your franchise back a couple years. Now, if the Jets' FO feels Carr, Fales, Hundley et al are worthy of their pick, then definitely, by all means take him. Just don't do it when he's the 48th overall player on your board.

No but if you think the Kaepernick is who you want, and know you can't get him in the 2nd, and are scared someone might trade back into the late 1st to grab him what do you do?  Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder went where these teams had them ranked, if the Bengals had one of those 3 ranked as they did Dalton they probably would have traded back into the 1st to grab him if they were hell bent on drafting a franchise QB, it's on the scouting, your scouts have to distinguish the difference between Blaine Gabbert, and Andy Dalton.

So if it is on the edge of feasible, McShay does not include Hundley in the Mock Draft because he is not 100% to declare, but most think he will, how would not adding Hundley into the top 15 be feasible, essentially making 5 QB's taken in the top 15, something you say is unheard off, or not feasible.  If he declares do you not think Hundley is worthy of a top 15 pick (I don't see how he declares if he doesn't think he goes in the top half of the 1st round)? 

hundley's an exciting prospect but he has a Sanchizian resume in terms of college starts. Not enough snaps and some teams are gonna discount him because of that.  in general alot of QBs are told they will be top 10 picks before they declare, and then they declare and go in rd 4. to bash Mcshay in specific, once he had Brady Quinn in his top 10. again not saying all these guys are Brady Quinn but these values are all up in the air. WHen it settles I can't endorse a scenario where 5 QBs are off the board before the Jets pick.

Manziel is going in the 20's, btw.

Out of all the ???? In this QB draft class Manziel will be the safest to predict to go top 10 other than Brudgewater, not because of talent, but because of excitement he will bring to a lot of franchises that need to fill the seats, and become relevant again.

Out of all the ???? In this QB draft class Manziel will be the safest to predict to go top 10 other than Brudgewater, not because of talent, but because of excitement he will bring to a lot of franchises that need to fill the seats, and become relevant again.

Which GM and which coach wants to put their careers in the hands of an undersized 20-year old party boy who plays quarterback with his feet?

Which GM and which coach wants to put their careers in the hands of an undersized 20-year old party boy who plays quarterback with his feet?

The ones that get overridden by their owners, you know half the NFL is full of meddling owners who value the business more than the sport, I could see the Texans taking him #1 overall if that owner thinks it will wipe the stink off of a 2-14 season, and failed playoff, after failed playoff season, because of the whole Texas connection, look how Keenum has kept the fans coming back even thou they are 2-12.

I knew he was a red-shirt sophomore, but had no idea his age. At 23, especially after the last few games he's had, it probably makes it more likely he comes out, but then again, I've seen weirder things happen. It'd certainly be nice for us, the greater the depth at WR the better the chances of us landing a keeper in the middle rounds.

Edit: I've heard they're waiting until after the bowl game, but there's no doubt they're entering. With Zach leaving and all that they've accomplished this year, it doesn't make sense to return. I'm still loving my boy Beckham: not sure how close he was to breaking Randall Cobb's SEC record for single-season all purpose yards while at Kentucky, but I just whole-heartedly believe in him.

He's got to declare.  He cant take the chance at missing the pay day at his age.  I'm sure he's just waiting till after the bowl game or right before it.

I'd take either of those LSU recievers in the 2nd if for some odd reason Kelvin didnt declare.  You know I perfer Landry.  I see those guys as 2nd round prospects.  If the Jets wanted to, they could instantly bolster their WR core with a committment to that position in the draft.  There is a ton of talent.  A ton.

Still, ideal would be Watkins and Kelvin and call it a day. 

Isn't Tebow proof that this does not in any way shape or form actually happen?

Isn't Tebow proof that this does not in any way shape or form actually happen?

Actually the Broncos are where they are now because of Tebow.     If Kyle Orton started the entire season and that team went 5-11 as they were on pace to go, if not worse,  Peyton manning doesn't sign with them and John Elway isn't looking at the team as a few pieces away from a super bowl.     

Tebow brought hope and wins to that franchise.  He might  have stunk as a QB and might have been sent packing, but the reality is, because of the hope and wins he brought to the Broncos,  Manning decided to go to an 8-8 team who just won a playoff game.      

You really think Manning would have signed with a 5-11 Broncos team?  Yeah right.

I love Matthews but ll @ comparing any RB prospect to Peterson. Cooks is overrated, though only in the sense that you're the second ive seen make that claim.

I think this was in response to me.

I didn't mean I thought Seastrunk was the 2nd coming of AP, your right comparing anyone to him is silly. I just used him because Seastrunk has the ability to run a guy over, and hit top speed, and score, not many can do this, and I mean run someone over at the 50, and then accelerate immediately, and run away from everyone, and score, the only guy in the NFL that can do this is AP right now.

Cooks will have his day at the combine, as will Dri Archer, hope they don't do to good so they can be had in the 2nd (Cooks) late 3rd to 4th (Archer).

If they want to bring Goodson back then fine. Otherwise I would look to draft a RB. 

Goodson, Powell, Ivory. I'm not sure why you draft a RB in the 2nd round when you have those three guys under contract already, especially after you traded a pick to get Ivory last season.

Because we have no other need on the team besides a WR and an RB?

Benjamin's a stud, but not sure how that makes Sammy a joke. Watkins lead the entire league in YAC at ~9.4, that's unheard of. He's the most explosive receiver in the entire draft, we'd be lucky to grab him. We'd also be lucky to have Benji as well.

Has he hinted at entering the draft?? He's still got two years of eligibility I believe, so not sure if he's gonna be available. If so, he's gonna fly up boards as basically what mike Evans wishes he was. Benji and DGB are very similar athletes and both are the type of receiver we've needed for a while.

they both are good but I think Benjamin will have a better career and he will be readily available for us if we went for him. Im thinking Everyone's all gaga for Watkins cause of Clemsons year and I'm hoping Benjamin can slip to us. Right now He's declared and is projected late round 2 early 3 but that will prolly change after the title game.

they both are good but I think Benjamin will have a better career and he will be readily available for us if we went for him. Im thinking Everyone's all gaga for Watkins cause of Clemsons year and I'm hoping Benjamin can slip to us. Right now He's declared and is projected late round 2 early 3 but that will prolly change after the title game.

People have been gaga about Watkins for more than a year. He was arguably/probably the top freshman WR in college football during 2011, and either way is very well known. 

Actually the Broncos are where they are now because of Tebow.     If Kyle Orton started the entire season and that team went 5-11 as they were on pace to go, if not worse,  Peyton manning doesn't sign with them and John Elway isn't looking at the team as a few pieces away from a super bowl.     

Tebow brought hope and wins to that franchise.  He might  have stunk as a QB and might have been sent packing, but the reality is, because of the hope and wins he brought to the Broncos,  Manning decided to go to an 8-8 team who just won a playoff game.      

You really think Manning would have signed with a 5-11 Broncos team?  Yeah right.

I disagree, I don't think Manning was concerned about their record so much.  I think he was looking at the defense the Bronco's had and their offensive skill players.  Also I think that is why it's valid that Manning wanted to go to the texans too.

Based on your measurements listed for looking at individuals, as of now that is why I like Blake Bortles the best out of this class, he is by no means a sure fire can't miss prospect, but he has a good NFL QB body not great Height, but not 6 foot either, he is the only one with a possible 1st round grade who has a filled out frame already, doesn't have a Carr cannon, but his arm is strong enough to make all the needed throws, won't out run many people, but can move enough to extend a play outside the pocket, and run for the occasional 1st down when the defenders are in man coverage, and he has shown the cabability of taking what defenses are giving him, checking down when he should instead of forcing balls, throwing it over the top when defenses have taken away their screen game CFU likes to run with it's WR's, his last game he threw zero TD passes in a frigid 25 degree night in Texas, but ran for 2 scores in the 4th quarter because that is what the defense gave him by dropping max coverage, and rushing 3, and led his team to a nice 4th quarter comeback on the road in those tough conditions, all something you look for in an NFL QB IMO.

Everyone will get to see him on display in the BCS game against Baylor, and if CFU tries to keep up with Baylor on the scoreboard Bortles will have to throw it A LOT, and IF he has a good game win, or lose he could even jump Bridgewater as the top QB heading into the combine, I would predict thou after the combine, and leading up to the draft Bridgewater will be considered the top QB still.

With teams like the Falcons, Giants, Rams, Steelers, maybe even TB if they really like Glennon, and Bills all picking in the top of the draft not needing QB's this draft will probably have some serious trading going on with teams picking 10, or 11 trying to hop the teams picking 5, and 6 to get the QB they want.  And in the process of course teams like the Giants, Steelers, and Falcons are going to be the real winners of this draft trading back a few spots for a kings ransom, and still getting the player on the top of their draft board!

I think your opinion of him will change after the Baylor game.  I am in Florida and have seen Bortles a lot this year, he is not a future NFL star.  Not physically and not in terms of reading defenses and making throws downfield.  Bortles is a solid college QB who does not have an NFL arm and is a little stiff athletically.

I think your opinion of him will change after the Baylor game. I am in Florida and have seen Bortles a lot this year, he is not a future NFL star. Not physically and not in terms of reading defenses and making throws downfield. Bortles is a solid college QB who does not have an NFL arm and is a little stiff athletically.

We will have to agree to disagree.

People have been gaga about Watkins for more than a year. He was arguably/probably the top freshman WR in college football during 2011, and either way is very well known. 

Actually now that I think about - Benjamin is the guy getting alot of pub for one year of dominance. Probably not a huge deal but he'll also be 23 by the time he's drafted, with only two years of college experience and a couple dozen more catches than Stephen Hill. 

I wouldn't use a first on him barring a spectacular draft season from him. Even then I don't think it's even close picking between him and Watkins, it's Watkins by a mile. 

Bevell and Idzik. I know they can do it. What a team. Bevell running the show, Idzik bringing in the talent and Johnny Football, doing his bets Namath impersonation making being a Jets fan exciting again.

Whew, I better go take a cold shower. Woo Hoo

Actually now that I think about - Benjamin is the guy getting alot of pub for one year of dominance. Probably not a huge deal but he'll also be 23 by the time he's drafted, with only two years of college experience and a couple dozen more catches than Stephen Hill.

I wouldn't use a first on him barring a spectacular draft season from him. Even then I don't think it's even close picking between him and Watkins, it's Watkins by a mile.

Stephen Hill is younger than him, and would be dominating at FSU if put in the same situation, but most on here want to draft this guy in the 1st, and cut Hill? Makes no sense to me!

This means absolutely nothing, unless you yourself are an NFL scout. You know who was getting first round grades up until the actual draft by all the draftniks you're probably currently reading?? Mike Glennon, Geno Smith, Ryan Nassib and Matt Barkley: there was a period where the first three were all once considered top 15 picks. 

It's hard to make your argument for having a lot of QBs go early, when every single one of those teams, minus the dolphins, are looking to replace their QB that they picked that year. This isn't fantasy-football draft where you just start taking a QB because they're going off the board: if for example, Fales or Carr are sitting there at pick 17, yet you only have them as a low second or third round grade, you don't take them just to take them. That's how you end up bad for a few years and in the same spot they're in now.

If a qb is there at 13 and you have a mid 2nd round grade on him and he is best qb available , then you have to take him...that is the sorry state of current. Situation unfortu ately

Archived