Rex vs. Bellichick Record Comparison: 78 Games Each

Lizard King

Wait, guys are having the "best year of their careers" and we are 6-8? Arent you supposed to win when guys are "having the best years of their careers"?

Just out of curiosity, being they are 6-8 with guys performing their "best". if they were say, just average, would we be like 4-10 or 2-12?

How can we improve on 6-8 when they are "having their best year of their career"? Arent we maxed out? Hmmmm

Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Wilkerson all having career years. Dee Millner is coming on and Stephen Hill was on pace for 1,000 yard season. It's not Rex's fault the roster is such crap, our best offensive playmaker got hurt, or that the fan base is ruining Holmes with all their negativity. If we had an average roster we're in the playoffs with how hard these guys play every week for Rex. Losing him will be a day we all regret, on top of that the locker room will be lost

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Wilkerson all having career years. Dee Millner is coming on and Stephen Hill was on pace for 1,000 yard season. It's not Rex's fault the roster is such crap, our best offensive playmaker got hurt, or that the fan base is ruining Holmes with all their negativity. If we had an average roster we're in the playoffs with how hard these guys play every week for Rex. Losing him will be a day we all regret, on top of that the locker room will be lost

Wuuuuut

This is a career year for GENO SMITH? God help us.

Even if this is true (and there's no proof that it is), it doesn't matter if John Idzik is a capable GM. He only needs Rex to cook the meal, not buy the groceries.

This is so ludicrous it does not even deserve a response , but I will anyway cause I'm just cool like that.

No GM/HC combo in football has this type of structure , it's impossible and completely disfunctional. Every HC in the league is a big part of personnel decisions, every one. The degree varies, but it's utterly impossible to have a setup where the HC is not a part of the decision making process.

This is so ludicrous it does not even deserve a response , but I will anyway cause I'm just cool like that.

No GM/HC combo in football has this type of structure , it's impossible and completely disfunctional. Every HC in the league is a big part of personnel decisions, every one. The degree varies, but it's utterly impossible to have a setup where the HC is not a part of the decision making process.

You're not cool.

Anyway, the head coach can certainly discuss with the GM what he feels the teams' needs are, but Rex Ryan isn't spending the year scouting college players - he's coaching the team he has. The franchise employs an entire scouting department to take care of that aspect of running a team. So Rex tells Tannenbaum he needs a QB, and Tannenbaum responds with Tim Tebow. He tells Idzik that he's not kidding, he really, really needs a QB, and he provides him with Geno and Garrard.

Head coaches have varying degrees of influence, yes. Some double as GMs. That wasn't Rex's job here under Tanny, and his influence was decidedly less this season. And -again- if Idzik is capable, then the coach's input can remain at the level of a wish list.

No matter how much influence Rex might've had with Tannenbaum, he didn't make the trades or sign the bad contracts. Rex didn't ask Tannenbaum to trade three picks for Shonn Greene, that came from Bradway and Clinkscales. Rex didn't come up with the idea to give Sanchez and Holmes guaranteed contracts, that's Tannenbaum's clever trick. Those are the things that led directly to the high paid, underachievers on the roster today, and the complete lack of depth. Terry Bradway still has a job, has always had more influence with Tannenbaum than Rex, and I'm sure that continues even more so under Idzik.

You're not cool.

Anyway, the head coach can certainly discuss with the GM what he feels the teams' needs are, but Rex Ryan isn't spending the year scouting college players - he's coaching the team he has. The franchise employs an entire scouting department to take care of that aspect of running a team. So Rex tells Tannenbaum he needs a QB, and Tannenbaum responds with Tim Tebow. He tells Idzik that he's not kidding, he really, really needs a QB, and he provides him with Geno and Garrard.

Head coaches have varying degrees of influence, yes. Some double as GMs. That wasn't Rex's job here under Tanny, and his influence was decidedly less this season. And -again- if Idzik is capable, then the coach's input can remain at the level of a wish list.

No matter how much influence Rex might've had with Tannenbaum, he didn't make the trades or sign the bad contracts. Rex didn't ask Tannenbaum to trade three picks for Shonn Greene, that came from Bradway and Clinkscales. Rex didn't come up with the idea to give Sanchez and Holmes guaranteed contracts, that's Tannenbaum's clever trick. Those are the things that led directly to the high paid, underachievers on the roster today, and the complete lack of depth. Terry Bradway still has a job, has always had more influence with Tannenbaum than Rex, and I'm sure that continues even more so under Idzik.

This is a cool story. It's weird, and it contradicts what Tannenbaum and the media around the team, and Mike Westhoff have said about the Rex-Tannenbaum relationship but, please, carry on.

This is a cool story. It's weird, and it contradicts what Tannenbaum and the media around the team, and Mike Westhoff have said about the Rex-Tannenbaum relationship but, please, carry on.

So Rex makes the trades? He signs the players to ridiculous guaranteed contracts? Also a cool story.

And again -even if that was true- who cares? It's out the window with Idzik in charge. If Idzik is a capable GM, Rex's input into things like the draft or free agent contracts should be reduced. Idzik -again, if he's qualified- should be able to fill the roster more intelligently than Tannenbaum did - regardless of what Rex wants. Draft picks and guaranteed money (I.e.: cap space) should no longer be squandered.

Also he has changed from the total defensive coach to understanding that haveing a great offense with a good defense wins not the other way ! Rex has no idea about the offensive side of the ball and only cares about his defensive stats until he changes he won't be anywhere close to BB

So Rex makes the trades? He signs the players to ridiculous guaranteed contracts? Also a cool story.

And again -even if that was true- who cares? It's out the window with Idzik in charge. If Idzik is a capable GM, Rex's input into things like the draft or free agent contracts should be reduced. Idzik -again, if he's qualified- should be able to fill the roster more intelligently than Tannenbaum did - regardless of what Rex wants. Draft picks and guaranteed money (I.e.: cap space) should no longer be squandered.

I agree it doesn't really matter how much input Rex has had into personnel--there are more than enough other legitimate reasons to fire him. But, literally the only substantive defense of Rex's record is this thought that he only received a plethora of bad players from the general manager acting in an isolated capacity. This works with fans, but I'm sure people who worked in personnel over the past five years have a better understanding of what prospects he was handed over that span. They know if Kyle Wilson was a bad prospect; they know if Geno was a bad prospect; Sanchez, Ducasse, etc. Idzik knows what Rex was handed (or saddled with) as far as personnel.

Bill Belichick is the best coach in the NFL. He's the best coach since Bill Walsh, maybe the best since Vince Lombardi or maybe the best ever. And he's doing a remarkable job this season.

The Patriots, since last year, have lost Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Rob Gronkowski, Jerod Mayo and Sebastian Vollmer. On Sunday they also played without receiver Kenbrell Thompkins and offensive tackle Nate Solder, who were inactive. They played without running back Shane Vereen and receiver Danny Amendola for long stretches this season. Most teams would crumble if they lost half of that star power.

And on Sunday the Patriots went on the road and beat the Baltimore Ravens, the defending Super Bowl champs who led the race for the final AFC wild-card spot, 41-7. The Patriots are 11-4 and still in the hunt  for the No. 1 seed in the AFC. It's amazing. And it starts with Belichick, the best coach in football.

There are other good candidates for the award. Andy Reid has done a great job with the Chiefs, but it has to matter a bit that they do not have one quality win all season. Ron Rivera's Panthers are doing well, but Rivera's candidacy is based on the Panthers being 7-9 last year, and a big part of that 2012 record was that Rivera helped blow almost every close game Carolina played in. Chip Kelly has been very good in Philadelphia, but he has benefited from being in a bad division. Bruce Arians has the Cardinals in the mix for a playoff berth, and that's impressive too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-week-16-winners-losers-kudos-bill-belichick-042311197--nfl.html

What about after 78 games and stuff like that?

Bill Belichick is the best coach in the NFL. He's the best coach since Bill Walsh, maybe the best since Vince Lombardi or maybe the best ever. And he's doing a remarkable job this season.

The Patriots, since last year, have lost Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez, Vince Wilfork, Tommy Kelly, Rob Gronkowski, Jerod Mayo and Sebastian Vollmer. On Sunday they also played without receiver Kenbrell Thompkins and offensive tackle Nate Solder, who were inactive. They played without running back Shane Vereen and receiver Danny Amendola for long stretches this season. Most teams would crumble if they lost half of that star power.

And on Sunday the Patriots went on the road and beat the Baltimore Ravens, the defending Super Bowl champs who led the race for the final AFC wild-card spot, 41-7. The Patriots are 11-4 and still in the hunt  for the No. 1 seed in the AFC. It's amazing. And it starts with Belichick, the best coach in football.

There are other good candidates for the award. Andy Reid has done a great job with the Chiefs, but it has to matter a bit that they do not have one quality win all season. Ron Rivera's Panthers are doing well, but Rivera's candidacy is based on the Panthers being 7-9 last year, and a big part of that 2012 record was that Rivera helped blow almost every close game Carolina played in. Chip Kelly has been very good in Philadelphia, but he has benefited from being in a bad division. Bruce Arians has the Cardinals in the mix for a playoff berth, and that's impressive too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-week-16-winners-losers-kudos-bill-belichick-042311197--nfl.html

What about after 78 games and stuff like that?

Brady

Brady

Yes, BRADY, and if REX had Brady or any QB for that matter, that could sling it, would he still try to win with defense, run the ball, play 1960's ground n pound? etc. We may never know or see it in his next gig (if he gets one)

No one is denying that Bellichicks success is tied to Brady, but what we are saying is Bellichick has allowed Brady to be well Brady, and no one that wants Rex shown the door, believes that no matter how good the QB he has, that he will allow that QB to do his thing, and NOT put the shackles on him so he can play his"win with defense, and ground n pound" card.

Agsain, as per "Collisions.." Wrecks was in the room and had input. Tannebaum listened. Further Tannebaum let Wrecks make one late round pick each year, one being John Conner, anoher being Sanchez's pal Scott McKnight. The later pretty much put CLinkscale, Bradway, Pettine and Westoff all in total pissed off fury because NOBODY else was going to pick him and they all saw servicable players they had scouted. And Wrecks did it to cater to Sanchez because that's the silly goose that he is.

Yesterday the Jets won a bum fight.If anyone wants to draw anyt more substantial conclusion to save the moron's job, good luck with that.

Yes, BRADY, and if REX had Brady or any QB for that matter, that could sling it, would he still try to win with defense, run the ball, play 1960's ground n pound? etc. We may never know or see it in his next gig (if he gets one)

No one is denying that Bellichicks success is tied to Brady, but what we are saying is Bellichick has allowed Brady to be well Brady, and no one that wants Rex shown the door, believes that no matter how good the QB he has, that he will allow that QB to do his thing, and NOT put the shackles on him so he can play his"win with defense, and ground n pound" card.

This whole argument is impossible to really win, because it is all complete opinions.

I am pretty sure if Rex had Brady as he is now, Rex could win a SB or two with Brady.

My argument is that Brady never would have become Brady under Rex. First off, it is unlikely that Rex would have ever given him a shot over a proven vet, and second off, Brady became Brady after a few years of success. Brady was cool under fire, but the offense early on was the best screen game ever created by Weiss and Bellicheck.

I really don't believe Rex could have turned Brady into what he is today. I also don't believe Rex could have reinvented the offense as many times as Bellicheck did since he has had Brady.

This whole argument is impossible to really win, because it is all complete opinions.

I am pretty sure if Rex had Brady as he is now, Rex could win a SB or two with Brady.

My argument is that Brady never would have become Brady under Rex. First off, it is unlikely that Rex would have ever given him a shot over a proven vet, and second off, Brady became Brady after a few years of success. Brady was cool under fire, but the offense early on was the best screen game ever created by Weiss and Bellicheck.

I really don't believe Rex could have turned Brady into what he is today. I also don't believe Rex could have reinvented the offense as many times as Bellicheck did since he has had Brady.

Bottom line, I wouldnt trust Rex with PEYTON MANNING.

Bottom line, I wouldnt trust Rex with PEYTON MANNING.

Your entitled, but I don't think you really need much trust in a HC with Manning. He is pretty much his own OC and is so far better than any QB I have ever seen play that he would still be great even with Rex.

If you read my posts, I am as anti-Rex as they come as the HC of the Jets, but I do think we have to be objective here.

Brady became Brady on day 1, won the division in his first year.

Rex hired Marty Mornhinweg, albeit late, but better late than never, so your "Never would've become" argument is not valid. 

So, after seeing the way Rex has managed garbage QB's, handed to him by 2 incompetent accountant GM's, you are somehow of the mindset that he would handle a HOF'er the same way?

Based on what? You think Belichick would be chucking it around with the dodo we've had at QB? 0% chance

That is actually false. Brady was a "game manager" all of his first year, and it was a split decision by many, whether Blesdoe should actually regain his job when ready,

Shhhh, don't let facts get in the way if the Rex loving agendas around here, they don't like it.

I love the "facts" argument, it's awesome.  First , did the Patriots NOT win the division in 2001? Did Brady not have a 63.9% completion rating on 413 attempts? Did he game manage in 2004 and 2010 when he threw 474 and 492 attempts respectively? (respectively means "separately or individually and in the order already mentioned [used when enumerating two or more items or facts that refer back to a previous statement] - Oxford-- saved you the trouble)

Then, Rex doesn't allow for QB development even though he brought in the guy who developed Montana, Steve Young, and had a hand in developing Nick Foles.  Did you give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no

Archived