Johnny Football headed to the NFL

Bob

If Johnny Manziel was black, he's a third rounder with "major character issues" and an "unorthodox throwing motion" who will "need to be controlled." But he's a scrappy "winner" who "likes the nightlife," so he's Namath, natch.

Awesome now all we have to do is to convince everyone he is black and he will fall to us?  Profit!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JAN 8

7:05

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

If Johnny Manziel is sitting there for the New York Jets on the night of May 8, their draft room should recreate the postgame scene from the season finale in Miami, where the team celebrated Rex Ryan's announced return with a spontaneous burst of loud and crazy.

There were cheers, screams, high-fives and a bro-hug between Ryan and general manager John Idzik, and they could do it all over again if Johnny Football is available.

For the Jets, a franchise whose draft history is built on great players they didn't want (Dan Marino) and great players they wanted but couldn't get (Brett Favre), it would be a defining moment of uncommon luck if Manziel slips to them with the 18th pick.

The Jets have been looking for the next Joe Namath since Broadway Joe limped off to the Los Angeles Rams in 1977, and they'd be insane to pass on Manziel, who officially declared Wednesday for the NFL draft.

The Texas A&M star was one of the best and most exciting college football players of his generation, and the Jets -- a team on the rise after a surprising 8-8 finish -- could use some best and exciting to galvanize a rebuilding effort that shifts into Phase 2.

Geno Smith was the lowest-rated passer in the league and, although he showed promise over the final four games of his rookie season, the organization still isn't convinced he's The Guy. It was telling that Idzik, who rarely reveals his true feelings, remarked in his season-ending news conference that "we'll look at quarterbacks, yes, we will look at quarterbacks" in the offseason.

You don't look beyond Manziel if he somehow gets past the five teams in the top eight that have glaring quarterback needs.

If he's there for the Jets, they should draft him and announce an open competition with Smith, knowing it would be Manziel's team when he's ready. The one year devoted to Smith wouldn't go to a waste because young quarterbacks with upside have value, and they could always trade him in a year or two, perhaps recouping their second-round investment.

It's rare for a team to use first- and/or second-round picks in back-to-back drafts on quarterbacks -- the Carolina Panthers did it in 2010 and 2011 with Jimmy Clausen and Cam Newton, respectively -- but teams with quarterback questions shouldn't turn away from a potential franchise-changing player.

Manziel, the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner, could be that guy. Don't take my word for it; listen to retired coach Dan Henning, who spent more than 30 years tutoring quarterbacks in the NFL.

"Bring him on, baby," Henning said in a phone interview. "I think he's a Tebow who can pass. He has tremendous leadership ability; the players rally around him. He wasn't going to let them lose [against Duke in the Chick-fil-A Bowl]. I just think he's a really good player."

Henning said Manziel has "a little [Jim] McMahon in him, so you have to watch the off-the-field stuff," but he's convinced Manziel has the skill set to succeed in the NFL.

Henning is right. Manziel's arm is good enough. He's instinctive. He can improvise with the best of them. Henning said Manziel reminds him of Russell Wilson, meaning he can escape the pocket but still is capable of making a throw on the run.

10 Most Frustrating Jets QBs

Manziel will be the most scrutinized draft prospect over the next four months, with scouts questioning his size (6-feet) and nocturnal habits.

Yeah, Johnny Football likes the nightlife, as Namath did back in the day, so there would be some risk in bringing Manziel to New York. If he can get to Las Vegas from College Station, Texas, he certainly won't have any problem finding Manhattan from the Jets' headquarters in Florham Park, N.J.

The Jets would have to prepare for the inevitability of TMZ becoming part of the organizational lexicon, but that wouldn't necessarily put Manziel on the road to draft-bust-dom. Namath loved to party, but he was devoted to his craft and the team, his teammates will tell you to this day. Obviously, quarterback-needy teams will have to investigate Manziel's background, determining his level of commitment.

Manziel-to-the-Jets could be just a crazy dream. ESPN draft gurus Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay rate him as the 12th- and 18th-best prospect, respectively, so you have to figure there will be a team ahead of the Jets that succumbs to Johnny Fever before May 8.

Maybe a trade up? The Jets did that in 2009, jumping from 17th to fifth, selecting quarterback Mark Sanchez. But that was a perfect storm, as they received a sweetheart deal from the Cleveland Browns, whose coach -- former Jets coach Eric Mangini -- was willing to accept Jets trash in a trade package.

The Jets won't get that lucky again, so they'd have to surrender actual commodities (high draft picks) to move up high enough for Manziel. But sometimes you have to take chances. When you're a star-crossed franchise, 45 years without a Super Bowl, you don't look away when a true star crosses your path.

Someone tell Cimini(first that SYRACUSE is a safety school), to stop stealing MY material. I have been writing this for the past 4 months. I swear he steals my material from here on Jet Nation.

Hey Mods, how do I get my material copyrighted on JetNation?

If Johnny Manziel was black, he's a third rounder with "major character issues" and an "unorthodox throwing motion" who will "need to be controlled." But he's a scrappy "winner" who "likes the nightlife," so he's Namath, natch.

100%

Just like if Geno was white, fans would give him at least two more years.

Idk about that. Marino fell for similar reasons. If Brady was black would he have gone in the first round? With his level of success in college? The more interesting comparison is Drew Brees who didn't party, played a similar game and fell to the second round. Its really a playing style issue more than a black/white issue. QB's that run a lot generally do not last a full season in the NFL. You cant win a super bowl if you cant last a full season. Ofcourse the rule changes are starting to help with that.

100%

Just like if Geno was white, fans would give him at least two more years.

No... Clemens had just as short a leash with fans, race has nothing to do with it. I didn't like Pennington from day 1,  Sanchez was crap to most of us by mid season year 1. 

Would people also think Sheldon and Mo were better if they were white?

No... Clemens had just as short a leash with fans, race has nothing to do with it. I didn't like Pennington from day 1,  Sanchez was crap to most of us by mid season year 1. 

Would people also think Sheldon and Mo were better if they were white?

Clemens was never actually given a real shot by the team.  Fans were irrelevant there. Your personal feelings on Pennington are irrelevant.  He got how many years again?  Sanchez isn't white, but certainly whiter and he got how many years?

Don't be so egocentric as to confuse your feelings with the popular opinion.

Definitely sub-six foot. Te'o measured in at 6'1.2" at the combine and Manziel is significantly shorter in this picture. Not that I care about his size, I personally just don't think his game translates to the NFL, but I would venture a guess he weighs in at 5'11 195ish.

1206ZY_405PM-640x450.jpg

that was over a year ago... young men grow. 

Clemens was never actually given a real shot by the team.  Fans were irrelevant there. Your personal feelings on Pennington are irrelevant.  He got how many years again?  Sanchez isn't white, but certainly whiter and he got how many years?

It sounds like you are conflating 2 issues. fan opinion and the opportunity given to him by the team. Fan's were down on Clemens almost immediately, as was the team. Sanchez got extra love from the fans due to team success while he got runway from the team due to draft status and our coach having teh ghey for him.

Geno played terribly, he was a second round draft pick AND he got a full season and gets to compete next year. Race has nothing to do with it.

I love when people call things "rediculous".  The irony is awesome.

Basketball does not equate to NFL QB.

Its still sports and Jordan played for a team that was a rival of New York teams. Geno was being judged on his level of play. Which QB in Jets history did he perform better than - but is being treated worse than?

Pennington's first year as a starter threw for 22 TD and 6 INTs. He was 1st in the NFL in Passer Rating and Completion % and was in the top half in yards and yards per attempt.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. 

Just like if Geno was white, fans would give him at least two more years

It is actually. Fans have given up on Geno after year one because he's black. And Sanchez got a longer leash because he wasn't black. The thought alone is absurdly racist, considering neither are true.

It is actually. Fans have given up on Geno after year one because he's black. And Sanchez got a longer leash because he wasn't black. The thought alone is absurdly racist, considering neither are true.

How many black QB's have won a Super Bowl?

As for Sanchez vs Geno rookie campaigns although both disappointing Geno has the better numbers (imo, with less talent surrounding him but with a better OC). That said, Sanchez was the #6 pick and brought his team to the AFC Championship, right or wrong, that gave him more leeway. It also turned out to be a mistake and was with a different FO to begin with. Can't fault the organization for not wanting to make the same mistake twice. I honestly don't think race as anything to do with this particular situation. Geno needs to be challenged. 

Sanchez: 2,444 yards 53.8%CP 12TD 20INT 63%Rating (9-7 record)

Smith: 3,046 yards 55.8%CP 12TD 21INT 66.5%Rating (8-8 record)

Just another reason why we should draft him. Would make this rivalry even more sweet.                         

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/05/tom-brady-joins-the-johnny-manziel-bashing-party/

Tom Brady joins the Johnny Manziel bashing party

Posted by Kevin McGuire on September 5, 2013, 7:22 PM EST

Tom Brady and Johnny Manziel are pretty much polar opposites when it comes to demeanor on and off the field. Brady is the calm, laid back leader on the field who lives a posh life off the field. Manziel is unabashed and not afraid to speak his mind on the field… and lives a posh life off the field. OK, maybe they’re not quite that different but nobody would mistake the Super Bowl MVP quarterback with a couple Super Bowl rings for the polarizing Heisman Trophy winner when it comes to on-field antics. We can also add Brady to the growing list of football voices to speak their mind about Manziel in not-so-favorable fashion.

As a guest on CNBC’s Squawk Box, Brady was asked about his opinion of the Texas A&M quarterback — because why not? — and the New England Patriots quarterback handled the hot button issue as well as you would have expected, rather than suggesting he would look to cause any physical harm or intimidation.

“He’s [Manziel] probably been the best athlete in his high school class, in his elementary school class,” Brady said, which is probably true. “So when you look across the ball, you have respect for those guys and treat them with respect. Football’s a physical game … and as [New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft] would say, “If you’re a turd, it’s going to come back to you.”

You will notice that Brady did not come out directly firing at Manziel, but the basic point of his message appears to be reaching the surface. What Brady said actually comes off as more of a warning to Manziel to behave more than a direct criticism. What do you think?

Firstly, the author clearly tries to play them as two entirely different personalities, but Brady is extremely heated and aggressive on the field, to the point of petulant, not this laid back, serene Peyton Manning-esque demeanor they are trying to contrast with Manziel.  However, Brady is 100% right. He's no longer going to be the most athletic kid on the field playing Duke linebackers/future law-firm softball champs, he's going to be playing against the absolute best athletes in the world at almost every position, so if he does continue that prickish attitude, he will get it shoved down his throat. He can go the Rivers route and continue to be a douche, but as long as he backs it up he'll be fine, but if he doesn't, he will get sh*t-canned very quickly, especially because even though the media is lauding him now, they are absolutely looking to turn on him the first chance that they get. 

Pennington's first year as a starter threw for 22 TD and 6 INTs. He was 1st in the NFL in Passer Rating and Completion % and was in the top half in yards and yards per attempt.

Thats what I'm talking about. Intangibles, NOT measureables make for great NFL QB's .

Johnny Manziel should be the next Jet QB.

Take that #7 away from Geno, give it to Johnny, and give Geno the # he deserves: #6.

As for Sanchez vs Geno rookie campaigns although both disappointing Geno has the better numbers (imo, with less talent surrounding him but with a better OC). That said, Sanchez was the #6 pick and brought his team to the AFC Championship, right or wrong, that gave him more leeway. It also turned out to be a mistake and was with a different FO to begin with. Can't fault the organization for not wanting to make the same mistake twice. I honestly don't think race as anything to do with this particular situation. Geno needs to be challenged. 

Sanchez: 2,444 yards 53.8%CP 12TD 20INT 63%Rating (9-7 record)

Smith: 3,046 yards 55.8%CP 12TD 21INT 66.5%Rating (8-8 record)

Both Remarkably similar, and remarkably awful.

Thats what I'm talking about. Intangibles, NOT measureables make for great NFL QB's .

Johnny Manziel should be the next Jet QB.

Take that #7 away from Geno, give it to Johnny, and give Geno the # he deserves: #6.

To be fair, stats are tangible evidence and there is no way in any Hell it's fair to compare anything that happened in Pennington's career to what happened to Sanchez or is happening to Geno.

First off Pennington sat his first two seasons... and change. Even as the FIRST QB taken in the draft. Secondly his first full season blows Sanchez' and Geno's out of the holy water. His second season he played with a serious injury to his wrist and missed games.  2004 he looked great for half a season then injures his rotator cuff which was the unfortunate beginning of the end and a grey area of mediocrity for like, another 3 seasons. 

To say Geno's 12/21 in 16 games deserves as much time and respect as Pennington's 22/6 in 12 games is heresy.

I wasn't yet completely sold on Manziel translating to the NFL to begin with, but this new trend of the Pennington comparisons is nearly enough to convince me I want him nowhere near this team.  I still find it funny that people consider this to be a positive point of comparison, although I suppose it's not particularly unexpected when looking at those making the comparison.  Sure, a talented player who could give less of a sh*t about football isn't going to have success, but that's a whole different story than holding someone up on a pedestal for no other reason than their almighty "intangibles".  It's most often a phrase thrown around as an excuse to praise a player someone likes when there's little factual evidence to support their position.  In this case, Manziel gives far more / better reasons to support the guy than such silliness.

Does anyone think Geno won't have a chance to win the job come August? Right now he's obviously the front runner to be the Jets QB in 2014.

Manziel is a complete wildcard as an NFL QB. The boom bust potential is higher than any QB prospect I can remember. The kid did go into Alabama as a freshman and beat them(unheard of). He's also like 170lbs.

I wasn't yet completely sold on Manziel translating to the NFL to begin with, but this new trend of the Pennington comparisons is nearly enough to convince me I want him nowhere near this team.  I still find it funny that people consider this to be a positive point of comparison, although I suppose it's not particularly unexpected when looking at those making the comparison.  Sure, a talented player who could give less of a sh*t about football isn't going to have success, but that's a whole different story than holding someone up on a pedestal for no other reason than their almighty "intangibles".  It's most often a phrase thrown around as an excuse to praise a player someone likes when there's little factual evidence to support their position.  In this case, Manziel gives far more / better reasons to support the guy than such silliness.

So what you are saying is the dude has Game, and Intangibles. Awesome.

Does anyone think Geno won't have a chance to win the job come August? Right now he's obviously the front runner to be the Jets QB in 2014.

Manziel is a complete wildcard as an NFL QB. The boom bust potential is higher than any QB prospect I can remember. The kid did go into Alabama as a freshman and beat them(unheard of). He's also like 170lbs.

I've been saying it for months, even prior to the last quarter of the season, that Geno is the odds-on favorite to be our week 1 starter. I don't see a single QB in this draft, save for possibly Teddy who I haven't seen enough of, that should be starting week 1. Geno already has a year under his belt not only in the NFL, but the same offensive system. Outside of RG III, Luck or Wilson, I just don't see any rookie coming in and assimilating to the NFL quickly enough to learn a brand new system and perform better than Geno did towards the end of the year.  These guys may end up out-competing him as the season progresses, but I would be shocked if anyone does it through camp prior to week 1. Extremely shocked.

Archived