Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists revealed, still no Klecko

Jetfan13

First-year nominees Derrick Brooks, Tony Dungy, Marvin Harrison and Walter Jones were among the 15 modern-era Pro Football Hall of Fame finalists, the Associated Press reports.

Brooks was a linebacker with Tampa Bay; Dungy coached Tampa Bay and Indianapolis, leading the Colts to a Super Bowl title in 2007; Harrison was a receiver for Indianapolis; and Jones was an offensive tackle with Seattle.

Former New York Giants defensive end Michael Strahan also was selected a modern-era finalist along with defensive end/linebacker Charles Haley, defensive end/linebacker Kevin Greene, receiver Andre Reed, running back Jerome Bettis, receiver/returner Tim Brown, safety John Lynch, guard Will Shields, cornerback/safety Aeneas Williams, kicker Morten Andersen and former San Francisco owner Edward DeBartolo Jr.

Punter Ray Guy and defensive end Claude Humphrey were announced as senior nominees in August.

The 46-member selection committee will vote Feb. 1 in New York, with a minimum 80 percent required for induction.

Former NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue failed to advance. Former coaches Jimmy Johnson and Don Coryell and general manager George Young also dropped out along with fellow semifinalists Steve Atwater, Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Joe Jacoby, Karl Mecklenburg and Steve Wisniewski.

WHAT? Do you know anything about Joe Klecko?

I said perceived, and I know that everyone and their mother in that era did it, BUT for some reason, he has always been singled out as a major abuser.

The dude had a neck the size of tractor tire, and really, you see him in some of those cameo roles in some movies *Cannonball run" I believe and he makes Barry Bonds look like pee wee herman.

Dude was gigantic.

I said perceived, and I know that everyone and their mother in that era did it, BUT for some reason, he has always been singled out as a major abuser.

The dude had a neck the size of tractor tire, and really, you see him in some of those cameo roles in some movies *Cannonball run" I believe and he makes Barry Bonds look like pee wee herman.

Dude was gigantic.

No, he hasn't. 

Klecko was undersized for the 70s and 80s. He was naturally strong from working as a mechanic and laborer as a kid. 

By his own admission he used steroids once - while preparing for an NFL's strongest man competition. He said they didn't do anything for him so he never used them again.

No, he hasn't. 

Klecko was undersized for the 70s and 80s. He was naturally strong from working as a mechanic and laborer as a kid. 

By his own admission he used steroids once - while preparing for an NFL's strongest man competition. He said they didn't do anything for him so he never used them again.

OK, then you tell us. WHY would the only player to ever make the Pro-Bowl at 3 different positions NOT be in the hall of fame?

Did he piss off the writers?

The dude was arguably one of the 5 or 10 best D-Lineman for a good 10 year stretch, made the pro-bowl as mentioned at 3 different positions, and was part of one of the most famous d-lines in history, and he's NOT in the HOF.

Sorry, the excuse I gave seems like the only plausible explanation.

If you have another, I'd love to hear it.

OK, then you tell us. WHY would the only player to ever make the Pro-Bowl at 3 different positions NOT be in the hall of fame?

Did he piss off the writers?

The dude was arguably one of the 5 or 10 best D-Lineman for a good 10 year stretch, made the pro-bowl as mentioned at 3 different positions, and was part of one of the most famous d-lines in history, and he's NOT in the HOF.

Sorry, the excuse I gave seems like the only plausible explanation.

If you have another, I'd love to hear it.

He played for a Jets team that only made the playoffs four times in his career and was coached by such luminaries as Joe "pick me a winner" Walton.

He played for a Jets team that only made the playoffs four times in his career and was coached by such luminaries as Joe "pick me a winner" Walton.

"only 4 times"? For the Jets, that monstrous.

The only other explanation I have heard, and I dont buy it, is that the other 3 players were also so good, that it took alot of the heat off Klecko.

I actually believe the OPPOSITE, that Klecko was such a monster, and needed double teaming all the time, taht it made it easier for the other 3, which would just be more evidence of why he belongs in the hall.

No, either he is blackballed for some unknown reason by the writers, or I am right about the steroid perception.

"only 4 times"? For the Jets, that monstrous.

The only other explanation I have heard, and I dont buy it, is that the other 3 players were also so good, that it took alot of the heat off Klecko.

I actually believe the OPPOSITE, that Klecko was such a monster, and needed double teaming all the time, taht it made it easier for the other 3, which would just be more evidence of why he belongs in the hall.

No, either he is blackballed for some unknown reason by the writers, or I am right about the steroid perception.

No, he played for the Jets. That's the problem. 

Hmmm, never heard that. Please elaborate if you can.

January 13, 1993 | From Staff and Wire Reports

Former NFL defensive lineman Joe Klecko admitted lying to a federal grand jury and faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Klecko was one of 67 indicted Oct. 28 for submitting phony insurance claims..........

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/joe-klecko

Not sure but I would bet there are convicted felons in the HOF so why single him out?

He deserves entry.

January 13, 1993 | From Staff and Wire Reports

Former NFL defensive lineman Joe Klecko admitted lying to a federal grand jury and faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Klecko was one of 67 indicted Oct. 28 for submitting phony insurance claims..........

http://articles.latimes.com/keyword/joe-klecko

Not sure but I would bet there are convicted felons in the HOF so why single him out?

He deserves entry.

Yeah there are no angels in Hall of Fame so IMO that does not explain it. 

:face: Yes, he said he took them one time while preparing for an NFL's Strongest Man competition. How is that the same as being a "perceived steroid abuser?"

He actually took them for a number of years, I believe in the off-season.

Don't get yourself into so much of a sh*t-storm. The majority of players used them and benefitted from them. Klecko no different.

I read this in "Nose to Nose" back in the 80's.

He actually took them for a number of years, I believe in the off-season.

Don't get yourself into so much of a sh*t-storm. The majority of players used them and benefitted from them. Klecko no different.

I read this in "Nose to Nose" back in the 80's.

I suggest you read it again. He only used them once.

:face: Yes, he said he took them one time while preparing for an NFL's Strongest Man competition. How is that the same as being a "perceived steroid abuser?"

Have the HOF voters ever stated or been asked why Klecko seems to be an afterthought, as to why he never even comes close to being voted in?

This would probably be a very enlightening converastion.

Archived