One Texan fan wants Manziel bad.

faba

Billboard pushes for Johnny Manziel
Updated: January 27, 2014, 10:47 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

One influential Houston Texans fan is hoping to continue rooting for Johnny Manziel as he enters the NFL draft this year.

Tony Buzbee, an attorney and Texas A&M Aggies regent, put up a billboard in the Houston area encouraging the Texans to draft Manziel with the first pick in the May draft.

The billboard reads "Keep Johnny football in Texas!" and directs people to DraftJohnnyManziel.com

Buzbee's website, which features an altered photograph of Manziel in a Texans jersey, contains a petition to tell Texans owner Bob McNair to draft the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

Buzbee and McNair are neighbors, the Galveston Daily News reported.

i don't pretend to be able to predict which college players will be good and who will bust but if i had a gun to my head i'd go with johnny

I respect it. Part of me really believes Johnny football will be great but I just don't fully trust how his game will translate to the NFL. I think Bridgewater is the safer pick.

if this dope will buy a billboard imagine how many regular schlubs will buy jerseys

this is why Manziel at 1 makes huge sense. It's a marketing feast. You can't market Teddy Bridgewater the same way.

winning games trumps everything but Texans will buy Johnny jerseys win or lose. 

texans have a good run game and line, and a defense that can be elite even after its underperformance last year. johnny football would make sense for such a team.

I think this is vital for whoever drafts Manziel.  He is going to need a good supporting cast and an offense that fits him.  Personally I think Bridgewater's skillset gives a team more room for error. 

I think this is vital for whoever drafts Manziel.  He is going to need a good supporting cast and an offense that fits him.  Personally I think Bridgewater's skillset gives a team more room for error.

Gil Brandt disagrees.

Now really, come on, who would you rather have slinging it for the JETS? Johnny Jet or, Geno 65?

Gil Brandt disagrees.

Now really, come on, who would you rather have slinging it for the JETS? Johnny Jet or, Geno 65?

Why should I make a choice I don't have?  Bottom line is nobody knows what kind of NFL QB Johnny will be.  He is not a lock by any means. Andrew Luck he is not. Truth is he won;t be diving over guys and making highlight film reals in the NFL his entire career.  If he tries I have to believe he will end up like like to RG III.  He will need a really good team around him to have success.  My only point.

if this dope will buy a billboard imagine how many regular schlubs will buy jerseys

this is why Manziel at 1 makes huge sense. It's a marketing feast. You can't market Teddy Bridgewater the same way.

winning games trumps everything but Texans will buy Johnny jerseys win or lose. 

The same kind of logic applied to freakin' Tebow.  The point is not to compare the two as players, but rather just point out that marketability doesn't do sh*t for a player or team long term.  Manziel may sell a ton of jerseys but that won't mean a damn thing for the Texans if he's out of the league in 3 years.

I agree with most of this.  Manziel was bailed out by Mike Evans on more than one occasion.  He needs a set of receivers that can get open while he does his Houdini-ballet dance.  I think Houston just happens to have those players in Johnson and Hopkins.  

It would be the best fit for team and player, IMO.  Plus I want Teddy to drop. 

The same kind of logic applied to freakin' Tebow.  The point is not to compare the two as players, but rather just point out that marketability doesn't do sh*t for a player or team long term.  Manziel may sell a ton of jerseys but that won't mean a damn thing for the Texans if he's out of the league in 3 years.

Manziel is like if Tebow could throw. He's got serious talent. Tebow was just a gimmick. 

Manziel is like if Tebow could throw. He's got serious talent. Tebow was just a gimmick. 

It's certainly a different situation if the Texans feel that way about him, which is the whole point; they need to evaluate him based on his ability, not his marketability.  The former is what's ultimately important to the success of both him and the team, the latter is simply a potential bonus (or, as we've seen with Tebow, a hindrance if he doesn't work out).

they need to evaluate him based on his ability, not his marketability.  

they will evaluate him based on all sorts of things, ability among them

and when the day comes the owner will throw all those reports in the trash and do whatever he wants

the one thing to note is that houston has historically been among the most cowardly teams in the draft. Clowney would be "safe" pick. 

Gil Brandt disagrees.

None of the above.

I will say this, as with Smith at 39, if Manziel is there at 18, you have to take him.

Probably same results though 

Archived