Jets vs. Patriots 1971 halftime show question

rbf1138

In 1971, during the halftime show of a game between the NY Jets and the Patriots, my dad's high school marching band performed. My dad, a trumpet player, had a solo in the show. He asked me if I could find video of that performance. Can anyone point me in the direction of where that could be found or who could possibly upload it if they did have it on film at some point? Thanks!

Wow I loved the subject of this question (not being sarcastic).  I wish JetNation had a media section where old games and interviews, etc could be posted.

On that topic, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the radio call of Wesley Walker's OT winning TD in the 51-45 Ken O'Brien over Marino game? Also, anyone know if the full game is available somewhere?  I couldn't find on youtube.

Was it NBC that carried the AFC back then?  Try getting hold of them to see if they have it archived.

Not to go off-topic, but I saw a special about Monty Python and one of them was saying that if WGBH, the Boston PBS station, had not decided to pick up the tapes of the show, the BBC was all set to start re-recording new programs over the tape, like a homeowner with a VCR who's already seen the recording and wanted to save money.  That hit me, because it seems to me that just about every TV show over here shown since late fifties at least is located somewhere.

Keep trying, someplace official must have that tape.

PS:  If you do find it, come back here and let us know how you got it.

Wow I loved the subject of this question (not being sarcastic).  I wish JetNation had a media section where old games and interviews, etc could be posted.

On that topic, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the radio call of Wesley Walker's OT winning TD in the 51-45 Ken O'Brien over Marino game? Also, anyone know if the full game is available somewhere?  I couldn't find on youtube.

It would be cool.

However, JetNation is a fan site, not officially affiliated with the Jets, the NFL, or NFL Films, so it's likely they don't have the licensing rights to post that type of stuff as JN content. I could be wrong though. The work-around could be fans, or users of JN, posting links to that content in a thread - as long as it lives somewhere that has the licensing rights.

According to Wikipedia, it was NBC which broadcast the AFC in 1971.  Try them.

The game was played Dec. 12, 1971 at Shea Stadium.  The Jets won, 13-6.

I was probably there, lol. My best friend's family had season tickets, and late in the year when the Jets were well out of it, the women would lose interest in sitting there in the cold so they'd take me. If not for them, I probably would've grown up a Giants fan like my parents.

Damn you!

Anyway, good luck to the OP. Did they televise halftime shows back then? I'm thinking the best bet might be thru other kids' families in that marching band. Maybe someone there made a home movie?

I'm still here, lol. My dad recalls that the game was actually televised for the school to watch, so I'll work on contacting NBC to ask if they have that footage and if I can have access to it in some form. I'll report back when/if I get any more information. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

I'm still here, lol. My dad recalls that the game was actually televised for the school to watch, so I'll work on contacting NBC to ask if they have that footage and if I can have access to it in some form. I'll report back when/if I get any more information. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

I might do the same for the 51-45 game.

I used to collect old telecasts of classic sporting events.

I have literally hundreds of telecasts ... football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc...

The only reason I bring it up was that I did try very hard to get old Jet telecasts, mostly from the Namath era, as part of my collection.

Sadly, there really aren't many original telecasts out there from any source ... whether its NFL Films, the TV networks, or private collections ... from the Namath Days, at least as far as I could gather.

You may be able to find portions of telecasts.

If you have any success, please let us know.

Good luck!

Have you attempted to  contact the High School.  Willing to bet the band director had a copy if he is still alive

I used to collect old telecasts of classic sporting events.

I have literally hundreds of telecasts ... football, baseball, hockey, basketball, etc...

The only reason I bring it up was that I did try very hard to get old Jet telecasts, mostly from the Namath era, as part of my collection.

Sadly, there really aren't many original telecasts out there from any source ... whether its NFL Films, the TV networks, or private collections ... from the Namath Days, at least as far as I could gather.

You may be able to find portions of telecasts.

If you have any success, please let us know.

Good luck!

I can only think of a couple that are out there

Super Bowl 3

1970 Jets at Browns (Very First Monday Night Football Game)

1976 Jets at Pats (MNF)

There are maybe 2 or 3 pre-season games out there but I am pretty sure that is about it.

One of the reasons there are so few out there I believe is that tape at that time was very expensive so alot of that stuff was recorded over. 

Archived