Thoughts and prayers needed for a fellow Jets fan

Jetsfan80

Hey guys, a friend John just lost his girlfriend in a head-on collision yesterday in Southport, NC. Guy who killed her was talking on his cell phone. He was getting ready to propose to her and they already had bought a house. It's all really sad.

Thoughts and prayers for him and the families are appreciated.

That's awful.  They really should consider making cell phones inoperable over a certain mph..  they have the technology to do it.  A simple chime could tell you you're getting a call but the phone won't text or let you dial out until you've pulled over.

Terrible.. Sorry to hear it.

That's awful.  They really should consider making cell phones inoperable over a certain mph..  they have the technology to do it.  A simple chime could tell you you're getting a call but the phone won't text or let you dial out until you've pulled over.

Complexity would be what to do for passengers in cars and other forms of transportation.

Agreed.

My wife works for a major insurance company, she's seen the data and cell phones are as dangerous behind the wheel as a a drunk driver.

Hey guys, a friend John just lost his girlfriend in a head-on collision yesterday in Southport, NC. Guy who killed her was talking on his cell phone. He was getting ready to propose to her and they already had bought a house. It's all really sad.

Thoughts and prayers for him and the families are appreciated.

My heart breaks for your friend John, and all of those touched by the loss. 

Tragic. :(

Complexity would be what to do for passengers in cars and other forms of transportation.

Oh it will never happen...  I'm sure the vocal minority would be in an uproar that our freedoms are being taken away or some such nonsense.

That being said our phones are pre-loaded with bloatware.  Can't they throw in one of those apps that automatically will text someone when you're driving "can't reply I'm driving, will get back to you soon".  You're giving people the choice but making it easier on those not willing to go and find the app.

You do make a good point though..  hadn't thought about people on buses or trains.

Thanks guys. She was an amazing girl. We're all holding vigil at his house with family and friends. JN has been a nice distraction for me.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you, John and his girlfriend.  May God comfort you all at this time.  And I pray that she may rest in peace.

It will be my # 1 fear when my son starts driving in 7 years.

It's my #1 fear now, when my wife is driving around with the baby. It's all we see commuting in and out of the city, people looking down at their laps driving 20 mph or 80 mph depending on the time of day.

I hope by the time the baby is driving it's a long-since solved problem.

Oh it will never happen...  I'm sure the vocal minority would be in an uproar that our freedoms are being taken away or some such nonsense.

That being said our phones are pre-loaded with bloatware.  Can't they throw in one of those apps that automatically will text someone when you're driving "can't reply I'm driving, will get back to you soon".  You're giving people the choice but making it easier on those not willing to go and find the app.

You do make a good point though..  hadn't thought about people on buses or trains.

In a perfect world, phone would synch with vehicle and you have a "start" app. Sort of like the keys you see that aren't really keys. It is a solvable problem, the issue in the way is people - as you said in your first sentence.

In a perfect world, phone would synch with vehicle and you have a "start" app. Sort of like the keys you see that aren't really keys. It is a solvable problem, the issue in the way is people - as you said in your first sentence.

Yes, and when triggered to start the car it would lock the phone somehow.. Until someone else figures out how to jail break the phone and turn this feature off.

Might be quicker and safer to wait for cars to drive themselves. The technology will be available quicker then we think. Google is making great progress.

My car can almost do it today in fact. It has a cameras all around it which enable adaptive cruise control, (car slows down and speeds up based on what is in front of it), lane keeping system (care keeps you in your lane by tweaking steering), and all side collision detection, combined with an extremely accurate GPS.

Yes, and when triggered to start the car it would lock the phone somehow.. Until someone else figures out how to jail break the phone and turn this feature off.

Might be quicker and safer to wait for cars to drive themselves. The technology will be available quicker then we think. Google is making great progress.

My car can almost do it today in fact. It has a cameras all around it which enable adaptive cruise control, (car slows down and speeds up based on what is in front of it), lane keeping system (care keeps you in your lane by tweaking steering), and all side collision detection, combined with an extremely accurate GPS.

Like most things, there's no 100% effective fix for it.

Ideally, people would just stop doing stupid, dangerous things. Then we wouldn't have to rely on technology (the robots) to keep us in line.

Your car sounds cool - does it get you a lot of patchouli soaked hairy beaver?

Like most things, there's no 100% effective fix for it.

Ideally, people would just stop doing stupid, dangerous things. Then we wouldn't have to rely on technology (the robots) to keep us in line.

Your car sounds cool - does it get you a lot of patchouli soaked hairy beaver?

Of course, why else would I own it?

They got back from the funeral in West Virginia yesterday. Unfortunately there's family drama, as the girl's Mom didn't even show for the funeral because she was more concerned about getting her personal effects before the girl's father could (they're divorced). The Dad is a good guy but the Mom is nuts.

Archived