Teh Falcon Soars Combine Edition

HessStation

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you've got it mixed up.

Athleticism is raw, gifted ability.

Skill is built over time with work, training, etc.

Most players get to the NFL because they have both. Some players have a lot of one, to compensate for lack of the other. Special players have a ton of both.

Most pro athletes are athletic in addition to their training, not in spite of it.

Are you honestly saying that if you don't have natural strength, speed, and explosiveness, you can NEVER have it?

So I guess heavy squats, sprints, and diet don't matter at all? I guess weight training and speed training are just done to waste time? I guess people who start out with 100 pound squats can never get to 500? Guys that start with 15" verts can't get to 30"?

You've obviously never trained a day in your life is you believe that you can't improve your athleticism.

But, what do I know. It's not like I've been around pro football players my entire HS and college career.

That's not what I said at all. I simply said that these combine numbers mean nothing. Play on the field is what matters. With that being said, if we want someone with both, get Jordan Campbell from KC.

I was being sarcastic- I actually somewhat agree I do not put  alot of stock into combine results- show me what you have on the playing field.

That's not what I said at all. I simply said that these combine numbers mean nothing. Play on the field is what matters. With that being said, if we want someone with both, get Jordan Campbell from KC.

Werent guys like Graham and Gates, basically chosen based on their Combine performances? I don't know, I am just asking?

Werent guys like Graham and Gates, basically chosen based on their Combine performances? I don't know, I am just asking?

I don't know. Probably. But that doesn't mean that good combine numbers are an indication of the caliber of player you will be in the NFL. Vernon Gholston and Jerry Rice are prime examples.

If combine numbers are so important, I guess I'm faster than Jerry Rice was  :wild:

I don't know. Probably. But that doesn't mean that good combine numbers are an indication of the caliber of player you will be in the NFL. Vernon Gholston and Jerry Rice are prime examples.

If combine numbers are so important, I guess I'm faster than Jerry Rice was  :wild:

No, I agree, but sometimes, these relatively unknowns can jump out with great combine #s and be worth drafting, as a possible sleeper. Look, we know Sammy Watkins is great no matter what he does in INDY, short of Murder 1, or building a Meth Lab in his Ferrari, but some "unknown" from Idaho ag and tech, could jump up with good numbers right?

2014 NFL Scouting Combine - 40-yard-Dash Results (TE)

2014 Scouting Combine - 40-yard Dash Results (OL)

*(u) denotes initial unofficial time

Taylor Lewan, Michigan - 4.87 (4.85u)

Greg Robinson, Auburn - 4.92 (4.84u) | Story

Trai Turner, LSU - 4.93 (4.84)

Joel Bitonio, Nevada - 4.97 (4.91u)

Matt Patchan, Boston College - 4.97 (4.84u)

Michael Schofield, Michigan - 5.01 (4.90u)

Seantrel Henderson, Miami - 5.04 (5.03u)

Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA - 5.04 (4.90u)

Jake Matthews, Texas A&M - 5.07 (4.91u)

Brandon Thomas, Clemson - 5.09 (4.97)

Weston Richburg, Colorado St. - 5.10 (5.07u)

Wesley Johnson, Vanderbilt - 5.11 (5.09u)

Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma - 5.13 (5.09u)

Jonotthan Harrison, Florida - 5.15 (5.10u)

Zach Fulton, Tennessee - 5.16 (5.10u)

Billy Turner, North Dakota State - 5.16 (5.06u)

James Stone, Tennessee - 5.17 (5.09u)

Russell Bodine, North Carolina - 5.18 (5.18u)

Justin Britt, Missouri - 5.19 (5.10u)

Ryan Groy, Wisconsin - 5.19 (5.13u)

Kadeem Edwards, Tennessee St. - 5.25 (5.19u)

Cameron Fleming, Stanford - 5.28 (5.34u)

Travis Swanson, Arkansas - 5.28 (5.16u)

Conor Boffeli, Iowa - 5.30 (5.34u)

Antonio Richardson, Tennessee - 5.30 (5.19u)

John Urschel, Penn St. - 5.31 (5.25u)

Jon Halapio, Florida - 5.34 (5.32u)

Ja'Wuan James, Tennessee - 5.34 (5.28u)

Matthew Paradis, Boise State - 5.34 (5.25u)

Brandon Linder, Miami - 5.35 (5.22u)

Morgan Moses, Virginia - 5.35 (5.19u)

Matt Armstrong, Grand Valley State - 5.36 (5.35u)

Cyril Richardson, Baylor - 5.36 (5.34u)

Matt Feiler, Bloomsburg - 5.37 (5.44u)

Jack Mewhort, Ohio St. - 5.37 (5.19u)

Dakota Dozier, Furman - 5.42 (5.28u)

David Yankey, Stanford - 5.48

Chris Watt, Notre Dame - 5.50 (5.50u)

Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State - 5.51 (5.43u)

Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama - 5.59 (5.53u)

James Hurst, North Carolina - Did Not Run

Tyler Larsen, Utah State - Did Not Run

Charles Leno Jr., Boise State - Did Not Run

Corey Linsley, Ohio St. - Did Not Run

Spencer Long, Nebraska - Did Not Run

Luke Lucas, Kansas St. - Did Not Run

Zack Martin, Notre Dame - Did Not Run

Marcus Martin, USC - Did Not Run

Anthony Steen, Alabama - Did Not Run

Bryan Stork, Florida State - Did Not Run

Some official TE times:

Jace Amaro at 265 ran 4.74 benched 28

Eric Ebron at 250 ran 4.60 benched 24

Colt Lyerla at 242 ran 4.61 benched 15

CJ Fedorowicz at 265 ran 4.76 benched 25

Nicklas, ASJ, Grimble did not run...

ASJ fractured foot, Niklas groin.

ASJ may not be ready to run for pro day. Maybe he falls to rd. 3?

Are you honestly saying that if you don't have natural strength, speed, and explosiveness, you can NEVER have it?

So I guess heavy squats, sprints, and diet don't matter at all? I guess weight training and speed training are just done to waste time? I guess people who start out with 100 pound squats can never get to 500? Guys that start with 15" verts can't get to 30"?

You've obviously never trained a day in your life is you believe that you can't improve your athleticism.

But, what do I know. It's not like I've been around pro football players my entire HS and college career.

LOL, well that's one way to react to someone else's point of view. 

All I'm saying that athleticism is something you are born with, or not born with. Some people are born extremely athletic, and others not so much. All of the things you are citing like doing squats, sprints, dietary changes, etc., it's all part of refining and/or augmenting the level of athleticism you are born with... which I personally classify as skill, because it's the part of being an athlete that comes as a result of training and working hard. You are not born with the ability to do sprints, or carbo-load, or any of that... those are things that come as a result of learning, applying and practicing. Skills are things we learn and practice.

Athleticism, in my opinion, is the catch-all expression for natural ability. While skill is the word I personally use to describe what you become able to do, through learning, practicing and working at it. 

It's just my point of view.

You could spend every day of your life around rocket scientists and brain surgeons. It doesn't mean you know anything about what they do, and it certainly doesn't make you an expert in their fields.

All I'm saying that athleticism is something you are born with, or not born with. Some people are born extremely athletic, and others not so much. All of the things you are citing like doing squats, sprints, dietary changes, etc., it's all part of refining and/or augmenting the level of athleticism you are born with... which I personally classify as skill, because it's the part of being an athlete that comes as a result of training and working hard. You are not born with the ability to do sprints, or carbo-load, or any of that... those are things that come as a result of learning, applying and practicing. Skills are things we learn and practice.

Athleticism, in my opinion, is the catch-all expression for natural ability. While skill is the word I personally use to describe what you become able to do, through learning, practicing and working at it. 

You could spend every day of your life around rocket scientists and brain surgeons. It doesn't mean you know anything about what they do, and it certainly doesn't make you an expert in their fields.

You consider hand/eye, coordination etc athleticism?

I never considered Intangible Animal an obnoxious poster but he's doing a good job of it in this thread. 

Doesn't matter what your opinion is, you're wrong. Obviously, some people have better genetics than others. That doesn't mean that you can't improve your ATHLETICISM (NOT skill) through training. ANYONE can, for example, get to a 4.5 40, or a 5-minute mile, or a 500 pound squat.

Not everyone can get to a 4.3 40, but everyone can become just as athletic as most NFL players. 

Proprioception. Yes, of course. And just like anything involving athleticism, it can be improved.

I never considered Intangible Animal an obnoxious poster but he's doing a good job of it in this thread. 

How so? Everything I've said is true. You're siding with people that are saying that you can't improve your athleticism through training. You're on the wrong side of the argument. 

Yes. 

People are born with good hand/eye coordination or they aren't. The ones that are, lucky. The ones that aren't compensate for it with training and muscle memory, as well as researching opponents etc, in many cases (like scouting reports, watching film, knowing what to expect situationally). Those are acquired skills, that augment hand-eye coordination.

Archived