list of Jets Draft Prospect Meetings

F.Chowds

jetsb_logo.gif

Beau Allen, DL, Wisconsin (EW) 
Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech (COM) 
Odell Beckham, WR, LSU (COM) 
Bene Benwikere, CB, San Jose State (EW) 
Ted Bolser, TE, Indiana (EW) 
Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida (COM) 
Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson (SR#) 
John Brown, WR, Pittsburg State (EW) 
Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas (EW) 
Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood (EW) 
Dakota Dozier, G, Furman (EW) 
Matt Feiler, OT, Bloomsburg (EW%) 
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice (EW) 
Jimmy Garappolo%, QB, Eastern Illinois (COM) (SR) 
Ryan Groy, G, Wisconsin (EW) 
Matt Hazel, WR, Coastal Carolina (EW) 
Allen Hurns, WR, Miami (EW) 
Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma (EW) 
A.J. Marshall, S, Wake Forest (EW) 
Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell (EW) 
Jordan Matthews%, WR, Vanderbilt (COM) (SR#) 
Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU (COM) 
LaDarius Perkins, RB, Mississippi State (EW) 
Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon St (EW) 
Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State (COM) 
Prince Shembo, LB, Notre Dame (EW) 
Dez Southward, DB, Wisconsin (PRO) 
Tyler Starr, LB, South Dakota (EW) 
James Stone, C, Tennessee (EW) 
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (COM) 

No Marqise Lee, but Mettenberger, Garopollo, Bortles. Interesting

I can't tell if this is schedule up-coming meetings or meetings at the combine. If it were the latter, each team can only meet with 60 players and it only lasts for 15 minutes max, so it's quite possible they plan on have a lengthier interview in the future or they've already gotten enough where 15 minutes wasn't going to help.   If I've learned anything the last ten or so years following the draft, it's that interviewing a player at the senior bowl, combine or official interviews at the facility don't necessarily mean much, but the positions usually do.  It's not exactly a bold statement, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't come away with at least one WR, CB, OG, Center (probably the only slightly bold statement on there) and QB this draft.  I know BPA, but these have been the positions that they've been sniffing around all season and now off-season. 

I can't tell if this is schedule up-coming meetings or meetings at the combine. If it were the latter, each team can only meet with 60 players and it only lasts for 15 minutes max, so it's quite possible they plan on have a lengthier interview in the future or they've already gotten enough where 15 minutes wasn't going to help.   If I've learned anything the last ten or so years following the draft, it's that interviewing a player at the senior bowl, combine or official interviews at the facility don't necessarily mean much, but the positions usually do.  It's not exactly a bold statement, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't come away with at least one WR, CB, OG, Center (probably the only slightly bold statement on there) and QB this draft.  I know BPA, but these have been the positions that they've been sniffing around all season and now off-season. 

This is a compilation of draft prospect meetings sorted by team. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources. 

SR - Senior Bowl meeting. 

EW - East-West Shrine meeting. 

COM - Combine meeting. 

INT - Interested. 

VINT - Very Interested. 

PRO - Pro Day meeting. 

PRI - Private Workout. 

% - indicates more than one meeting.

# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2014 Senior Bowl or the 2014 East-West Shrine Game

Was hoping to see Dee Ford on that list.

If we traded down to mid 20's, I'd be all for getting this guy. If we won't be addressing OLB in FA, I'd like to come away with 1 Pass Rusher who can punish the QB.

I know Pace had 10 sacks, but I want to see a freight train (LT style) punishing the QB, stripping the ball.

This is the reason Mathews scares me.  Could you imagine all the hell we will have to go through in camp if the Jets took him?

If they come to Cortland, 10 minutes from where I live and 5 minutes from my golf course, guarantees the following if they draft my boy Jeff Matthews:

1. 18 holes of golf with the following foursome: Myself and Matthews Vs. REX and GENO

We will give them 3 a side

2. A cold 30 pack Of Rocky Mountain refreshment for each 9

3. Free Matthew Jersey's to anyone from JN who comes to Cortland

4. Autographs from Myself and Jeff, no one wants Rex's or Geno's autograph

Right, right, and way wrong.

Yea, I lumped the official visits in with the rest, they're usually more meaningful than the others, but you still interview 30ish non-local guys, so it's not that surprising that you end up drafting some of them.  There were reports we were crazy high on Dion Jordan, Zac Dysert and Margus Hunt after the official visits, but it never manifested.  I more meant this is people should temper their expectations after every report of an official visit they see, because the majority of the time it's just the doing their due diligence. 

Yea, I lumped the official visits in with the rest, they're usually more meaningful than the others, but you still interview 30ish non-local guys, so it's not that surprising that you end up drafting some of them. There were reports we were crazy high on Dion Jordan, Zac Dysert and Margus Hunt after the official visits, but it never manifested. I more meant this is people should temper their expectations after every report of an official visit they see, because the majority of the time it's just the doing their due diligence.

I think you can see a trend developing where they're being aggressive with some early-round QBs, though. I think that's notable.

This is a compilation of draft prospect meetings sorted by team. The data was acquired via Charlie Campbell (@draftcampbell) and other media sources. 

SR - Senior Bowl meeting. 

EW - East-West Shrine meeting. 

COM - Combine meeting. 

INT - Interested. 

VINT - Very Interested. 

PRO - Pro Day meeting. 

PRI - Private Workout. 

% - indicates more than one meeting.

# - indicates meeting set up outside of the 2014 Senior Bowl or the 2014 East-West Shrine Game

Interesting, good find.  I know part of it is subjective, as the interested or not is based on the players opinion correct?  Regardless, it's certainly nice seeing them bring in Matthews more than once, although I could do without ever seeing Tahj Boyd as a Jet.

I think you can see a trend developing where they're being aggressive with some early-round QBs, though. I think that's notable.

Definitely, that's more the point I was going after.  You see trends in the type of player that they're interested in, not necessarily the specific player they're going to walk away with. It's why I think we're going to see Mangold's replacement drafted soon, as they've been sniffing around that one for a while. 

Definitely, that's more the point I was going after. You see trends in the type of player that they're interested in, not necessarily the specific player they're going to walk away with. It's why I think we're going to see Mangold's replacement drafted soon, as they've been sniffing around that one for a while.

No doubt. I'm wondering if Idzik is going to use this cap space and these picks to really clean house as opposed to load up for a short run. Could be some surprise cuts coming.

No doubt. I'm wondering if Idzik is going to use this cap space and these picks to really clean house as opposed to load up for a short run. Could be some surprise cuts coming.

If you go over to Jason's site and while I can't speak on Mangold off the top of my head, but I believe it follows suit, Brick's contract makes it pretty prohibitory to cut him the next two years and then the following two seasons ('15 and '16) you can save something like $30 million combined with only $5ish million in dead money. If their play starts to decline even more rapidly, I would be surprised if we don't draft their backup this year or next. 

If you go over to Jason's site and while I can't speak on Mangold off the top of my head, but I believe it follows suit, Brick's contract makes it pretty prohibitory to cut him the next two years and then the following two seasons ('15 and '16) you can save something like $30 million combined with only $5ish million in dead money. If their play starts to decline even more rapidly, I would be surprised if we don't draft their backup this year or next.

I always wonder how Jason decided to get after all this information. The guy has a day job, for God's sake.

Here's a few tidbits that I've found:

- 21 of this year’s 32 first-round picks visited or privately worked out for the team that drafted them. One notable outlier was Seahawks tackle James Carpenter. “We tried staying under the radar with this guy,” Seattle G.M. John Schneider confirmed during Carpenter’s introductory press conference. “I told our group … we were very proud of them that his name never got out.” The Seahawks rated Carpenter as the No. 2 offensive lineman in the entire draft.

List of last year's official visits (they really were hard-up looking at Safeties it seems. Moreso that I would have guessed.)

Player--------------------Position--------------------School
Alex Carder----------------QB--------------------Western Michigan
Armonty Bryant------------DE-------------------- East Central University
Brandon McGee-----------CB--------------------Miami
Chance Warmack----------G--------------------Alabama
Christine Michael----------RB --------------------Texas A&M
Cordarrelle Patterson ----WR--------------------Tennessee
Dee Milliner-----------------CB -------------------- Alabama
Dion Jordan----------------DE--------------------Oregon
D.J. Swearinger-------------S-------------------- South Carolina
Earl Wolff-------------------- S--------------North Carolina State
E.J. Manuel------------------QB-------------------- Florida State
Geno Smith------------------QB-------------------- West Virginia
Jakar Hamilton---------------S-------------------- South Carolina State
Joe Kruger--------------------DE-------------------- Utah
Jonathan Cyprien------------S--------------------Florida International
Josh Evans------------------- S-------------------- Florida
Kenny Vaccaro---------------S-------------------- Texas
Knile Davis ------------------RB--------------------Arkansas
Lane Johnson---------------OT-------------------- Oklahoma
Le'Veon Bell-----------------RB-------------------- Michigan State
Logan Ryan-----------------DB-------------------- Rutgers
Margus Hunt---------------- DE-------------------- SMU
Matt Elam--------------------S-------------------- Florida
Oday Aboushi--------------OT-------------------- Virginia
Robert Woods-------------WR-------------------- USC
Star Lotulelei----------------NT -------------------- Utah
Tavon Austin---------------WR-------------------- West Virginia
Travis Chappelear----------DE-------------------- Northwest Missouri State
Will Campbell----------------DT--------------------Michigan
Zac Dysert--------------------QB--------------------Miami (OH)

I always wonder how Jason decided to get after all this information. The guy has a day job, for God's sake.

Yea, he and Nick have done a phenomenal job with that website and the time to set that thing up is way more than a hobby, it's extremely impressive. I'm gonna start saying my goodbyes when residency starts, because unlike others, I require adequate sleep to function throughout the day, which doesn't necessarily bode well for the surgical profession I want to go into.  I'm gonna need to learn to drink coffee or take up cocaine. I'm on the fence.

I wonder if that was - to an extent - the purpose of building up all of those comp picks last year. Obviously it's way too early to tell, but it seems like Idzik is a GM who has a long-term plan as opposed to handling things year to year like Tannenbaum did (restructure guys to get cap space, hit the market, fill needs, repeat).

I'd love to see if if they use some of those mid-round picks to draft replacements for guys. You alluded to it with Mangold and Brick. We may have already seen him do it drafting Campbell and Aboushi late with Colon a one year guy and Howard set to hit FA. That's the way to build a good team - there's quality depth and younger guys are ready to step in once more veteran players leave - already have experience in the scheme, probably some snaps, and weren't huge investments. If they bust then that's something to revisit in a future offseason.

David Harris is a FA after next season, has lost a step, and plays a position that's not all that valuable. Spend a mid-rounder on an ILB who's likely - with all of the multiple receiver sets and the investments in the front 7 (how often are Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson, and Davis going to come off the field - plus sub-package rushers like Barnes and pass rushers like whoever's playing OLB across from Coples going forward) - a two down guy and not all that critical of a piece. Then next season hopefully the guy is just ready to step in to that small role and they're not scrambling to address it or wasting cap space or an early round selection making sure they have a guy who's ready to start, even though the way the team is structured the new ILB's role might not be huge.

Similar situation with Pace and the OLB spot across from Coples too - only I could see investing more of a premium selection on an outside linebacker since if you get a good one . Corner to develop if they re-sign Cro to a deal where he's cuttable if his decline continues and last year wasn't just because of the nagging hip injury. Center I could see since it's been so bad when Mangold's out that IMO having good depth there is important - just make sure it's a guy who can flip to guard if necessary too. Tackle is maybe a year early if Brick's not cuttable for a couple of years, but maybe I misinterpreted - I wouldn't mind if they did though. Would be nice to see the team have some foresight.

Archived