Jets all over Vick

F.Chowds

I'm not sure what you're getting at, a dude who tortures a deer and doesn't put it down right away is a jackoff also.

I'm trying to understand why certain forms of animal torture are socially acceptable, even encouraged, while others set off a firestorm.

But I didn't expect to get the answers I was looking for.  There's really not an easy answer.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People can eat what they want, not my place to judge. The best thing anyone can do is read up on how the industry works and try to find what works for you. It's actually not hard to make it work financially once you figure out how local markets, online retailers, and certified humane products work. For me personally it wound up being a win/win situation because I felt comfortable eating animals again and I had a ton more energy simply from eating cleaner products. Doesn't mean I'm flawless and probably don't eat something that went through a lot of pain when I'm out and about, but I do what I can.

P.S. The free-range label is bullsh*t.

I meant humanely raised and butchered, just improperly use free-range as a catch-all. I know a lot of companies use the "factory free range" label quite a bit and I do my best to research where I'm buying things, but I know I could be better. My uncle used to be a big animal vet and worked at the race track for a long time and when he retired started to raise and butcher venison, now that was delicious.

My problem lies with those who claim superiority because they follow one mantra, but then don't apply that same philosophy to things like diamonds for their jewelry or the minerals for their electronics. I think educating some is okay if they ask for it, but it's the one's who are preachy that tend to bother me. Sort of how I feel about religion.

I'm trying to understand why certain forms of animal torture are socially acceptable, even encouraged, while others set off a firestorm.

But I didn't expect to get the answers I was looking for.  There's really not an easy answer.

Again, animal torture isn't socially acceptable. You're confusing apathy with acceptance.

I meant humanely raised and butchered, just improperly use free-range as a catch-all. I know a lot of companies use the "factory free range" label quite a bit and I do my best to research where I'm buying things, but I know I could be better. My uncle used to be a big animal vet and worked at the race track for a long time and when he retired started to raise and butcher venison, now that was delicious.

My problem lies with those who claim superiority because they follow one mantra, but then don't apply that same philosophy to things like diamonds for their jewelry or the minerals for their electronics. I think educating some is okay if they ask for it, but it's the one's who are preachy that tend to bother me. Sort of how I feel about religion.

Completely agree. I feel like the rules of being a vegan are the opposite of being in Fight Club, because the first rule of being a vegan is never shut the **** up about being a vegan.

My whole family has owned Pit Bulls...love those dogs.  Smartest most unbelievably awesomest pets ever.  Fighting them is digusting...like literally.  Has anyone ever seen it before?  Its terrible.  I'd didnt know whether to cry or puke.  Terrible terrible thing. 

That said, I think Vick is a nice option and a solid signing.

Again, animal torture isn't socially acceptable. You're confusing apathy with acceptance.

Or peoples definition of torture isn't the same as mine.  I think shooting a deer with an arrow then tracking it down and chopping it's head off is torture. 

Touchy subject..  Not really looking to defend or condemn anyone, just find it interesting.

Or peoples definition of torture isn't the same as mine.  I think shooting a deer with an arrow then tracking it down and chopping it's head off is torture. 

Touchy subject..  Not really looking to defend or condemn anyone, just find it interesting.

You're confusing words again. By the very definition of torture as a word and a concept, putting something down instantaneously cannot be torture. In your instance, for the hunter to torture the deer, he would also have to miss deliberately with the intent of causing the deer pain.

Completely agree. I feel like the rules of being a vegan are the opposite of being in Fight Club, because the first rule of being a vegan is never shut the **** up about being a vegan.

It's the old joke: how do you know if someone is vegan/has a rescue dog/does crossfit??  

Don't worry, they'll tell you. 

You're confusing words again. By the very definition of torture as a word and a concept, putting something down instantaneously cannot be torture.

bah..  I was trying to get out of this.

Do you really think the majority of hunted animals go out instantly?  When you pull a fish out of the water does it die the second it goes in your boat?

bah..  I was trying to get out of this.

Do you really think the majority of hunted animals go out instantly?  When you pull a fish out of the water does it die the second it goes in your boat?

Again, you're confusing words. Torture requires intent. Meaning that the hunter or the fisherman is shooting the deer or hooking the fish with the intent of causing the animal pain.

People can eat what they want, not my place to judge. The best thing anyone can do is read up on how the industry works and try to find what works for you. It's actually not hard to make it work financially once you figure out how local markets, online retailers, and certified humane products work. For me personally it wound up being a win/win situation because I felt comfortable eating animals again and I had a ton more energy simply from eating cleaner products. Doesn't mean I'm flawless and probably don't eat something that went through a lot of pain when I'm out and about, but I do what I can.

P.S. The free-range label is bullsh*t.

Is there really a "humane" way of killing something for mass consumption?  I mean, I know the differences and all that, I dated a vegan...but at the end of the day, you're killing something for me to eat.

Again, you're confusing words. Torture requires intent. Meaning that the hunter or the fisherman is shooting the deer or hooking the fish with the intent of causing the animal pain.

So as long as a person doesn't fully realize the suffering they're causing, they're in good moral standing.

You can repeat that all you want, but he's a block head and will never get it.

hey everyone has to be able to sleep at night--you should probably boycott all companies that hire felons, as well.

Most airlines, rental car companies, wireless providers, cable providers, hotels, mobile device manufacturers (including Apple), television makers are on the list. so the good news is you won't be able to get to a jets game or watch it anyway!

The moment you turn on your computer to make a post about your outrage, you are doing so with technology that began it's life by being mined for by slaves.

Outrage is so fun.

what i was trying to say (if perhaps inarticulately) was everyone agrees that vick is a POS--by acting morally superior because we don't take it one step further and stop rooting for the jets is ridiculous.

oh no not hypocrite--the number one most meaningless insult of all time. a synonym for parent is "hypocrite," it means you grew up.

Like I said earlier, at not point did I act or say I'm morally superior to anyone. If that is what you are picking up, then you are potentially projecting your own issues or grudges onto me. If that's what you are going to run with, you should at least know enough not to weigh in with a character judgement about me in every response. 

Simply put, the Jets adding Vick would be an embarrassment, to me. I don't care what you think of it, just as I understand most people don't care what I think. 

Is there really a "humane" way of killing something for mass consumption?  I mean, I know the differences and all that, I dated a vegan...but at the end of the day, you're killing something for me to eat.

Depends. I suppose if you wanted to argue the philosophical ambiguity of death, probably not. But there are farms that go to extraordinary circumstances to make sure an animal is killed instantaneously and as painlessly as possible. One could argue that there's a wide gap between that and the circumstances through which animals may be killed in factory farms.

Vick only showed remorse when he was told he had to.

It is laughable, but people have no problem enabling and making excuses for a sociopath, because "SPORTS".

Not that I agree with what Vick did... But can you please logically differentiate it for me from eating a cheeseburger?

"I see you, my brother, and thank you. Your spirit belongs to Ewya but your body remains so that I may take it to nourish the Na'Vi people."

Depends. I suppose if you wanted to argue the philosophical ambiguity of death, probably not. But there are farms that go to extraordinary circumstances to make sure an animal is killed instantaneously and as painlessly as possible. One could argue that there's a wide gap between that and the circumstances through which animals may be killed in factory farms.

Yeah, I guess its all how you view it.  I personally dont give a sh*t so I'm more one the its all the same line of thinking.  To each his own.

I do get the health/taste angle though.

That's a fairly broad generality. It's 2014, we have places serve meat and grocers who sell meat that kill animals humanely. Big difference between breeding cows and chickens for food and killing them humanely and hanging a dog by it's legs and torturing it with a cattle prod, or burning the skin off of an animal's face. Are there companies like Tyson and Yum! that do horrible things to animals? Sure, absolutely. That those companies exist and do what they do certainly doesn't make it excusable for any person to do whatever one wants to do to animals at any given time.

LOL.  Go to an actual slaughterhouse and not the marketing version where happy cows live wonderful lives and then are humanely euthanized.

The distinction isn't all that different.  Pac's point about the "cute ones" is spot on. 

While I understand the point you're making, I think that a large majority of it has to do with the fact that the meat industry is not performing their actions out of a sense of sadistic pleasure or for sport. That's probably where the biggest backlash is from.  If he were butchering the meat and actually eating it out of some sort of cultural heritage, I doubt as many people would care. I'll still root for him, but I'll feel dirty doing so.

No, but the idea of us > them is a necessity in order to take a life, regardless of how it's done.  That thread continues.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3718304

I realize we're dealing with a high degree of discretion with something like this, but I personally do not feel that sh*t like that is remotely on the same level as putting a deer down with one shot, or humanely slaughtering a cow to feed people.

FWIW, as far as "feeding people" we could end world hunger tomorrow if we stopped breeding 'meat,' and used all the grain we feed the animals to feed cows.

Meat is a luxury and nothing more.

Archived