Revis not worth 1/3rd of Jets Cap availability, IMHO

SouthernJet

He signed Tim Tebow.  I think we are underestimating this factor.

And shaun Ellis.  They talked in the press about how wonderful it was for Shaun to finally get a chance to feel what it's like to be in a Super Bowl.  F*CK the Pats.  This move reeks of Belly sticking it to the Jets.

Revis did not want to come to the Jets. That his agent called the Jets was merely to tweak the fans and him going to NE was a done deal before TB even released him. F*** Revis and his holdouts. I never wish injuries on players, but if blows out both knees on opening day, I will sleep just a little better that night.

Revis did not want to come to the Jets. That his agent called the Jets was merely to tweak the fans and him going to NE was a done deal before TB even released him. F*** Revis and his holdouts. I never wish injuries on players, but if blows out both knees on opening day, I will sleep just a little better that night.

It was reported that Idzik didn't even take the call.

It was reported that Idzik didn't even take the call.

It was reported that the call never went to Idzik, that a Jets staffer was texted, not even called. I don't blame Idzik, I want no part of a player who never seems to be truly content with the contract he signs. We would risk having a similar holdout situation in a few seasons. It's very telling that Revis only signed a one year deal, to me this shows either the Patriots are trying to spare themselves drama, or more likely, Revis is using this season as way to get his price back up near 16 million, and we all know some team will be desperate enough to come to close, or at least offer more than 12 mil.

We have what, 37M in Cap availability. You always want to keep 3-4M around for in-season move if needed for potential playoff drive etc. So, with ALL the Jets needs do we really want to spend OVER a third of our cap availability. on ONE player (approx 36%). Makes no sense to me where the Jets  are today. I get the Pats doing it, one last push w/Brady etc. BUT., the Jets needs lots of holes plugged to turn into a perennial solid team. 

He covers one guy.  A sophisticated offense can game plan around him effectively.  He also robs money that you have allocated for the rest of your secondary.  Teams budget their cap by position,in my opinion.  Would Revis have made a lick of difference in Denver last year when the Pats got paddled?  They made it to the AFC title game without him.  And who will they cut or not be able to sign in the WR department because of this expense?

I am a seriously distraught Jets fan today. I am livid.

1)      You have a need a CB

2)      You have 40M in cap space

3)      Revis wanted/would to come to NY

4)      You have NO-ONE on your current roster that you have to pay big money too in the next TWO years besides Mo Wilkerson. Who are you saving the cap space for? We arent the 49ers who have to pay Kap, Crabtree and Company OR the Seahawks with Wilson, Sherman and friends. I don’t understand at all.

5)      The NFL cap is projected to rise at least a little every year for the foreseeable future.

6)      This is a business. Revis is a business man. He deserves every cent he can squeeze out. And if Woody killed this deal bc of the past history with Revis, he’s a fukin piece of $hit.

And to top it all off, Revis is now on the Patriots. There is a tiny piece of me that hopes Revis has a game winning pick 6 in the Super Bowl bc Woody and the Jets deserve that fate...us Jets fans deserve a lot better.

there may be someone on someone else's roster that they think they would pay big money to next year.  yes it is a business.  yes he deserves to get what he can.  that does not mean he squeezes it out of us.  you do not need a Revis to win a SB.   Lots of teams have proved that.  So why pay a Revis?

The bottom line is that Revis would have been next to useless to the Jets on a one-year deal and cannot be trusted with a long term deal.

I would have more to say on the matter, but Sperm has apparently already been named as Mr. TL;DR in this particular thread, so I wouldn't want to step on his toes.

And shaun Ellis.  They talked in the press about how wonderful it was for Shaun to finally get a chance to feel what it's like to be in a Super Bowl.  F*CK the Pats.  This move reeks of Belly sticking it to the Jets.

I think this move makes sense for them.  They need to replace Talib and they upgraded.  But we are in agreement on Belly.  And Ellis is a great example.

I think this move makes sense for them.  They need to replace Talib and they upgraded.  But we are in agreement on Belly.  And Ellis is a great example.

Oh I know it makes sense, but emotions have no logic and today I'm emotional.   :D

Sperm - could add some pictures to break up the text a little?

But CB would have been if Talib wasn't on the team.

Revis IMO saw an opportunity to get back up to $15M+ and that way was to play for a lock contender or to play for Ryan with the Jets (which would also soften his reputation by patching things up). The latter wasn't going to happen. Most likely because Woody doesn't want to write him checks for any amount - the last one he wrote was for a bonus in March of last year and he got traded a month later. But as SJ points out, our problems aren't going to be solved by one CB who makes at least $12M for 1 year. Any contract years beyond that are pointless unless the base salary is $15M or more, otherwise another holdout gets staged or threatened at a minimum.

Happy-Sperm.jpg?9d7bd4

A team with so many holes covers a lot more ground and can build a better team by filling them all with draft picks (if they're any good) and with multiple players in the $5M range, give or take, better than 1 or 2 supermen and then obvious liabilities playing alongside them (Eric Smith) because that's all that we can fit now. Further, it locks you out of that position in the draft even if the best player by far is at that position.

zaparat_1525045.jpg

I like this way. This is what Idzik alluded to the way he was going to build the team. When he was hired the Jets weren't 1 season away from the superbowl. First off there was no QB. Second, the best way is to build through the draft. That means not only drafting well (and yes, getting lucky a bit) but also giving them more than 1 season to show if they're worth anything. We had a lot of draft picks last season. Only 1 is a true, obvious, long-term keeper but they only played 1 rookie season next to a mostly low-talent roster, with an offense that doesn't nearly hide mistakes as well as other teams' can. This year we have 12 draft picks it looks like (unless it's been announced we're only getting 11 and I missed it). Sign Austin Howard to a shiny, new $6M/year deal with $15M guaranteed and there is no competition for the RT position that is getting handled with mediocre play. 

ist2_1146510_little_sperm.jpg

Revis IMO saw an opportunity to get back up to $15M+ and that way was to play for a lock contender or to play for Ryan with the Jets (which would also soften his reputation by patching things up). The latter wasn't going to happen. Most likely because Woody doesn't want to write him checks for any amount - the last one he wrote was for a bonus in March of last year and he got traded a month later. But as SJ points out, our problems aren't going to be solved by one CB who makes at least $12M for 1 year. Any contract years beyond that are pointless unless the base salary is $15M or more, otherwise another holdout gets staged or threatened at a minimum.

Happy-Sperm.jpg?9d7bd4

A team with so many holes covers a lot more ground and can build a better team by filling them all with draft picks (if they're any good) and with multiple players in the $5M range, give or take, better than 1 or 2 supermen and then obvious liabilities playing alongside them (Eric Smith) because that's all that we can fit now. Further, it locks you out of that position in the draft even if the best player by far is at that position.

zaparat_1525045.jpg

I like this way. This is what Idzik alluded to the way he was going to build the team. When he was hired the Jets weren't 1 season away from the superbowl. First off there was no QB. Second, the best way is to build through the draft. That means not only drafting well (and yes, getting lucky a bit) but also giving them more than 1 season to show if they're worth anything. We had a lot of draft picks last season. Only 1 is a true, obvious, long-term keeper but they only played 1 rookie season next to a mostly low-talent roster, with an offense that doesn't nearly hide mistakes as well as other teams' can. This year we have 12 draft picks it looks like (unless it's been announced we're only getting 11 and I missed it). Sign Austin Howard to a shiny, new $6M/year deal with $15M guaranteed and there is no competition for the RT position that is getting handled with mediocre play. 

austin gone ,,no?

If we're to believe the reports, Geiger leaked the "Jets' interest" to make more money from the Pats.

BB got bamboozled into hastily signing Revis because of his blind hatred for the Jets.    

Dont blame Geiger,, u always fight for your partner

Happy-Sperm.jpg?9d7bd4

zaparat_1525045.jpg

Much more readable, although I question your clip art collection.

If we're to believe the reports, Geiger leaked the "Jets' interest" to make more money from the Pats.

BB got bamboozled into hastily signing Revis because of his blind hatred for the Jets.    

This pretty much sums it up for how I'm looking at it.

Also, it's going to cost them Wilfork.

The thing that stinks is this....the Jets finally drafted a player, that is a hall of famer and he is the best at his position.  Yet that position happens to be CB.  Idzik clearly isn't going to break the bank for a CB, and he is right.  Getting Revis back would have been a lot of fun.  But Idzik made the right move here.

I don't know what Cromartie would take on a restructured deal.  But it would probably be half of what Revis got.  Cromartie is more than half the player Revis is, so I can see the Jets going that route.

You give Cro way to much credit, bad hip or not he was beaten repeatedly last season. He doesn't play the ball very well either rarely turning his head back around and making a play on it.

You give Cro way to much credit, bad hip or not he was beaten repeatedly last season. He doesn't play the ball very well either rarely turning his head back around and making a play on it.

He had a bad year last year, no doubt.  So if it isn't Cro, then they can get someone else to give them 60% of the production at 30% of the cost.  That is my point.

He had a bad year last year, no doubt.  So if it isn't Cro, then they can get someone else to give them 60% of the production at 30% of the cost.  That is my point.

ya, no brainer,,w/Milliner last 1/4th season showing he can be a #1 CB, then Cro COULD not be  kept as the #2 CB w/#1 CB cap hit..

We have what, 37M in Cap availability. You always want to keep 3-4M around for in-season move if needed for potential playoff drive etc. So, with ALL the Jets needs do we really want to spend OVER a third of our cap availability. on ONE player (approx 36%). Makes no sense to me where the Jets  are today. I get the Pats doing it, one last push w/Brady etc. BUT., the Jets needs lots of holes plugged to turn into a perennial solid team. 

I get that. All of that might make sense if we were actually making other moves, but we haven't so far.

I get that. All of that might make sense if we were actually making other moves, but we haven't so far.

well, yes we have,, signed some current Jet sto new deals, got decker, replkaced austin w/better cheaper cap hit,, and best FA deals are almost always more team/cap friendly w.Tier2/3 guys.. the Tier 1 guys sometimes dont pan out but 100% nail your cap..

Idzik said on day 1 he doesnt view FA as get the star big $ guy, but use it to fill holes /cap friendly deals , then hit the draft right  w/guys who fit system/philosophy and then use cap $ on home grown talent ..

Thats just my opinion though ;)

Archived