Sproles traded to eagles

itsJETStime

serious question here,, how good a pass catcher out of backfield is MJD? That may be why Jets didnt go after Sproles

over 40 catches a year except for two: in one he was on IR and the other he had 34.

Sproles for a 5th round pick...total steal. I love Sproles, all the guy does is move the chains and make defenses crazy. Oh well, I hope Gooson stays out of jail OR we draft a jitterbug RB. Sproles will get good offensive production in that Philly offense, its built to tire out the opposing defense.

over 40 catches a year except for two: in one he was on IR and the other he had 34.

there is your Idzik answer IF we sign MJD,,sproles would have been useless w/so many other needs if MJD can catch out of backfield,,he is a every down back then 

Ivory and MJD would be awesome backfield

For 2 games a year before one of them gets hurt. MJD is entering year nine and age 29. There is going to be a fall off and he'll probably want a decent contract.

We need a pass catching RB for sure, but I'd rather sign someone else or draft one in the mid-rounds.

For 2 games a year before one of them gets hurt. MJD is entering year nine and age 29. There is going to be a fall off and he'll probably want a decent contract.

We need a pass catching RB for sure, but I'd rather sign someone else or draft one in the mid-rounds.

I am sure they will in later rounds or UDFA they like who slips thru draft

He's averages around 40 grabs a year. Jax fans have always questioned why he wasn't used more in that fashion. Great at running the screen.

Yeah, this is quite clearly where the Jets interest in MJD lies, the receiving game.  Powell is solid in that regard, but not a particular playmaker, while Ivory can't catch a damn thing.  Could also be that they know for a fact that MJD can produce with absolute garbage at QB, while Sproles has never in his career had to deal with such a scenario.  If they envision their potential contributions to be close enough, that reality plus the lack of need to make a trade could certainly have them preferring MJD.

Ivory was 25 when we traded for him.  Sproles turns 31 in June.  Enormous difference for RBs. 

Also Sproles carries the ball like 3x per game.  They're totally different players even if they're both technically RBs on paper.

Yeah, this.  One round difference in compensation for a RB 6 years younger hardly equates to the Jets getting hosed.

Yeah, this is quite clearly where the Jets interest in MJD lies, the receiving game.  Powell is solid in that regard, but not a particular playmaker, while Ivory can't catch a damn thing.  Could also be that they know for a fact that MJD can produce with absolute garbage at QB, while Sproles has never in his career had to deal with such a scenario.  If they envision their potential contributions to be close enough, that reality plus the lack of need to make a trade could certainly have them preferring MJD.

Thats a great point...and Sporles has also played with TE's that open the field in a major way leaving him a ton of room to operate out of the backfield.  MJD's best TE was Mercedes Lewis, best QB, David Garrard.  He's used to see 9-10 in the box.

Archived