What would you think if...

MatthewPLP

It's Sept 2014 and the Jets have 30 Mil in cap space....Hell even 20 mil...

Could it happen? Yep, If they cut Sanchez and their cap will be around 44 Mil as of now.

If that happens, I'll tell Woody and Freddy Coupon to shove their season ticke** up their ass and refuse to pay the licensing fee for seat.

What say you?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could it happen? Yep, If they cut Sanchez and their cap will be around 44 Mil as of now.

If that happens, I'll tell Woody and Freddy Coupon to shove their season ticke** up their ass and refuse to pay the licensing fee for seat.

What say you?

I swear to God, if this happens, I'm not even watching the commercials. I'm just watching game play.

What say you?

Were you imagining going face-to-face to tell Woody, or were you picturing more of a scenario where you tell all of us and maybe shake your fist as the sky?

I'd say that Idzik isn't going all in for 2014, but is attempting to build a roster to compete for the next five years. He's signing young, young players and ignoring old ones so far.

Hmm I know he's holding some for Wilkerson's deal....But not that much....

Makes no sense not to go all in, team was 8-8 last year with complete garbage at WR. They could have picked up a few high priced players (difference makers) + draft and win 12-13 games (maybe). 

Makes no sense not to go all in, team was 8-8 last year with complete garbage at WR. They could have picked up a few high priced players (difference makers) + draft and win 12-13 games (maybe).

I dunno--look at the list of who's left. Outside of Zach Strief, they're all either old or damaged. Why put yourself in position to be paying Tarell Brown or Major Wright $3-$4 mil in 2015 if they're not players that you really want moving forward?

Idzik's philosophy IMO is you don't go "All In" until you are 100% sure you have a franchise QB, and I like that.

I dunno--look at the list of who's left. Outside of Zach Strief, they're all either old or damaged. Why put yourself in position to be paying Tarell Brown or Major Wright $3-$4 mil in 2015 if they're not players that you really want moving forward?

They shoulda ponied up the loot and signed Verner or Davis, Verner woulda been idea as I think he's the younger of the 2 and still a good DB.. Behind the front 7 on D, they don't have much,,,,

I'd say that Idzik isn't going all in for 2014, but is attempting to build a roster to compete for the next five years. He's signing young, young players and ignoring old ones so far.

Exactamente. Claro que si, Tomasito.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the money may not be spent, because 1.) FA isn't over and 2.) this FA period wasn't exactly oozing with talent that aligns to year 2 of a rebuild? 

The marquee names went to the marquee teams. We are middle of the pack, with a stigma for being Raiders East. If Idzik ran around and gave out all the money, just because he has it, we'd end up doing what the Dolphins did last year.

Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you are required to dump it into players that just aren't good enough to justify it over the next 3-5 years. 

Idzik's philosophy IMO is you don't go "All In" until you are 100% sure you have a franchise QB, and I like that.

One game away twice from the SB with Sanchez...Something tells me Geno will have a much better season than last and will turn out to be better than Sanchez, don't know if he'll be a franchise QB, but you can win without one.

I would be ecstatic. We've resigned the players we wanted, signed the best available FA at our biggest position of need and will be soon drafting up to 12 different players in May.  Our team has gotten better and our cap space has increased, I'm not sure how to look at it as anything but positive.  I'd still prefer if they signed one of Jones or Sanders prior to the draft though. 

Did it ever occur to anyone that the money may not be spent, because 1.) FA isn't over and 2.) this FA period wasn't exactly oozing with talent that aligns to year 2 of a rebuild? 

The marquee names went to the marquee teams. We are middle of the pack, with a stigma for being Raiders East. If Idzik ran around and gave out all the money, just because he has it, we'd end up doing what the Dolphins did last year.

Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you are required to dump it into players that just aren't good enough to justify it over the next 3-5 years. 

Plus, we have to save a few fazules for the mini-draft. :-)

Which is why, as I've been saying for the past 2 days, we should have been active right out of the gates. We've let a lot of young talent go elsewhere when we had every opportunity to compete for that talent.

Byrd and Verna would be a good bet over the next 5 years. Ravens d thrived with Ed Reed, we haven't had a playmaker at safety in years...

Which is why, as I've been saying for the past 2 days, we should have been active right out of the gates. We've let a lot of young talent go elsewhere when we had every opportunity to compete for that talent.

Is SF a well run franchise?

The 49ers are looking for value at the position.  They know they don’t have too much room to work with under the salary cap and need to save some of it for extensions for players like Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith. 

Therefore, they’ve been willing to sit and wait for the first wave of free agents to come and go before dipping their toes too deep in the waters.

Yes, they signed Antoine Bethea on Tuesday, but Bethea only has $6.5 million in guaranteed money.  They weren’t going to break the bank on any one player, instead waiting for the initial frenzies to die down and then shopping for bargains.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1991108-san-francisco-49ers-quiet-free-agency-market-for-tarell-brown

Insanity!

Byrd and Verna would be a good bet over the next 5 years. Ravens d thrived with Ed Reed, we haven't had a playmaker at safety in years...

Byrd went to team Brees.

Having a top 5 QB gives you the added benefit of being a magnet for FAs, especially if you have the cap space.

Besides, that the Jets are in the midst of a complete overhaul between last year and this year. Over-spending on a safety is nuts. Better to draft the next Byrd than pay through the nose for him.

Only player left I really want is Major Wright. Maybe Colon back to play if Oboushi, Campbell or a draft pick arent ready. Other then that I dont see that many upgrades out there. Would rather wait on draft and possible cap casualties. Save some money for Mo, and next years free agent class.

I think they bypassed Verner because they wanted Davis, then Davis' agent played the Jets to get more coin from the Colts. The really unfortunate miss was Geoff Schwartz, who would have been ideal here, but was probably too old for Idzik. Other than that, there wasn't a whole lot to do, even with the money. I'm not saying that this has been a great offseason at all, but getting Decker--or any receiver--to sign here was a coup. That said, unless they crush the draft and/or have a trade forthcoming that no one is considering yet (Sam Bradford?), it's hard to see how the team will take a major step forward this season.

Byrd went to team Brees.

Having a top 5 QB gives you the added benefit of being a magnet for FAs, especially if you have the cap space.

Besides, that the Jets are in the midst of a complete overhaul between last year and this year. Over-spending on a safety is nuts. Better to draft the next Byrd than pay through the nose for him.

If the Jets won 4 games last year I'd agree...But at 8 wins with an offense that was laughable and 40 mil to spend plus draft, no reason they shouldn't be pushing for it all this year provided they actually plugged up their needs which they clearly are not doing.

Byrd went to team Brees.

Know what was the first thing I thought when I saw your CB list and looked at the contracts for the top FA corners? 

We have a dozen picks coming up this year and 7 more next year.  Draft another CB or three.  Sign a stop-gap in case Dowling is so useless he's not worth the roster space on a team with only 1 CB, who they're not re-signing.

If the Jets won 4 games last year I'd agree...But at 8 wins with an offense that was laughable and 40 mil to spend plus draft, no reason they shouldn't be pushing for it all this year provided they actually plugged up their needs which they clearly are not doing.

Not to mention that even if they wanted to be conscious of the future--there's still a whole lot more that they could have done without mortgaging the future.

In the coming days, there are going to be a lot of good football players out there coming to the reality that they aren't getting paid what they hoped for, and the Jets will in position to be a major player for a lot of their services.

Last year, Idzik made a trade. This year, he has more picks to work with, plenty of needs, and could easily be working on something that will require some of that money.

If they have a surplus of cash still left over during the season, they can start resigning some of the guys they want long term (Wilkerson, Kerley) and have some of that money count against this year's cap.

Or they can just sit on it and piss you off. That works, too.

The Saints will be begging teams to take Byrd off their hands next season. That was an incredibly stupid signing.

In the coming days, there are going to be a lot of good football players out there coming to the reality that they aren't getting paid what they hoped for, and the Jets will in position to be a major player for a lot of their services.

Last year, Idzik made a trade. This year, he has more picks to work with, plenty of needs, and could easily be working on something that will require some of that money.

If they have a surplus of cash still left over during the season, they can start resigning some of the guys they want long term (Wilkerson, Kerley) and have some of that money count against this year's cap.

Or they can just sit on it and piss you off. That works, too.

Or (and this is my fave scenario), Idzik holds on to ~$25 mil of that cap space, the Jets go 7-9, Rex gets fired, then they use the fact that they have a mountain of cap room to recruit Next Head Coach, at which time they use that money to feast upon the Broncos, Niners, and Seahawks--all of whom will be in bad cap shape as soon as next season.

Or (and this is my fave scenario), Idzik holds on to ~$25 mil of that cap space, the Jets go 7-9, Rex gets fired, then they use the fact that they have a mountain of cap room to recruit Next Head Coach, at which time they use that money to feast upon the Broncos, Niners, and Seahawks--all of whom will be in bad cap shape as soon as next season.

Idzik <3 Rex

Whether they load up on high-priced players, or have young guys coming of age contract-wise, this is reality in the NFL.  To your point regarding the Byrd signing, if NO doesn't go to the SB (or get damn, damn close), they are likely to pull the plug on a lot of quality guys and re-load.

It's like investing -- hold enough cash to take advantage of major pull-backs.

Archived